Smart Reloader 737

PDA

coonan1911
December 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
Anyone own a Smartreloader 747 model.
I bought one on E Bay 6 months ago and found it doesn't tumbler like the normal . Tumblers like lyman or Rcbs which is more aggressive and really tumble the brass
It is recommended to take 1300 x 9mm or 1000 x .38 special.
I put about 800 357 mag cases in it and notice it vibrates but just travels around the bowel instead of vibrating in twirl towards the center and up like the normal case tumbler does
If anyone has one and can tell me if this one is a dude please let me know or can pass on any info on this type of unit.
It did clean the brass good but i had it going at work for 6 hours to get that result.
Regards
coonan1911

If you enjoyed reading about "Smart Reloader 737" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rule3
December 10, 2013, 03:18 PM
The 737 is listed as a Nano tumbler (small) If this is the one you have it is way overloaded.

This says 125 , 223 cases.??

Is yours 220V down under?;)

http://www.smartreloader.com/smartreloader-sr737-tumbler-nano-220v-p-3945.html

taraquian
December 10, 2013, 10:17 PM
Can 800 even fit with media? I have the same tumbler and I put about 150 9mm cases at a time and it works fine. However I once tried 200 .308 and it acted like you said yours does.

coonan1911
December 11, 2013, 12:50 AM
Hi
No its a 110 volt model and I use a power converter to our voltage 240 volt.
I don't think its the voltage as I run my case and bullet feeders which are also 110 volt and don't have any problems. Also have two Lyman 110 volt tumblers and they work great.
The only reason I bought this model is it capacity to do big volumes of deference cases at once which saves me time when I want to shoot various calibre's at one club meet.
I apologise for giving the wrong model as it into my fifth night shift and I got two more to go.
Regards
coonan1911

Rule3
December 11, 2013, 12:38 PM
Well, I can not even find it on the Smart Website.?? I did read some reviews on it though. You may want to look up that company yourself;)

Anyway, if it was me, I would make sure the media is new, clean and has some kind of polishing compound or car polish.

Whatever they claim is the max number of cases I would put in 1/2 or 3/4 of that. (.5 or .75 for you metric folks:))

Any tumbler if overloaded will not work well.

eam3clm@att.net
December 11, 2013, 07:07 PM
Does it have a cone in the middle? I have a Frankford arsenal tumbler that does not have a cone in it that does the same thing no matter how much brass or tumbling media I put in it. It seems that most tumblers within the same catagory are made by the same people, just different color. On mine I took a cheap plastic cup ( like you get at a dine in restaurant for the kids) and cut a hole in the bottom to slide on the threaded rod. I tightened it down with a regular nut to hold it against the tumbler bowl and all is good. It tumbles as good as my cabelas/barries tumbler.

coonan1911
December 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
Hi
Yes it has the middle cone with the rod bolt through the middle like my Lyman 1200 tumbler.
when i first got it and tried it out it was even worst until i adjusted the weight on the spindle to lowest it go.
It did improve it a bit but still just goes around and around the bowel and slowly but ever so slowly falls to the center cone.
I am hoping some one else has this model and can give me an insight weather this is normal for this type of tumbler as it big mother of a tumbler.
If there is anyone who also has the DIlon 2001 model which i believe is the same size if there do the same as this brand.
Regards
coonan1911

km101
December 12, 2013, 10:18 PM
Take the bottom off the motor area to expose the motor. There should be a small eccentric or offset weight on the motor shaft. This is what makes it vibrate. You can put a larger/longer eccentric weight on the shaft to make it vibrate more.

I had to replace the motor on an old Lyman tumbler and had this same problem with the new motor. A heavier weight corrected the problem. Don't add much, just an ounce or two should correct the problem.

coonan1911
December 12, 2013, 11:08 PM
Hi Km101
Thanks for the info will try it .
I had inspected the motor and moved the weight down the shaft to nearly the end which gave me a very little extra.
I will remove the weight and gauge how heavy it is and make another one as you mention and hopefully it will give more aggressive vibration and movement up and towards the middle of the bowel like it should.
Regards
coonana1911

ArchAngelCD
December 12, 2013, 11:34 PM
It's possible the tumbler was not working correctly before you bought it off Ebay. Maybe that's why the original owner sold it!

SMARTRELOADER SR747 JUMBO TUMBLER

MONSTER SIZE TUMBLER FOR PROFESSIONAL RELOADERS
OVER 13LT CAPACITY (OVER 13.5 QUARTS!)
CONTAINS UP TO 2.300 9mm CASES, 1.500 223R. or 700 308W.!
POWERFUL MOTOR TESTED FOR OVER 700 HOURS NON-STOP!
AUTOMOTIVE HIGH PRECISION BEARINGS USED FOR LONGER LIFE AND EXCELLENT TUMBLING ACTION!
SWITCH ON/OFF BUTTON ON THE BASE
CE CERTIFIED

coonan1911
December 12, 2013, 11:54 PM
Yes you could be right on that.
The normal price on this unit is around $399 to $499 USD.
And this unit was very low price.
I guess the old saying is you pay for what get.
My looks like its going to be a lemon.
Regards
coonan1911

ArchAngelCD
December 13, 2013, 12:02 AM
Maybe not a complete loss or a lemon. You might be able to repair that tumbler and it might still be a bargain.

coonan1911
December 17, 2013, 09:42 AM
High All,

Just letting you all know that I finally sorted out the problem as suggest by members about added weight to the bottom spline.
The original weight was 55.786 grams and the one I got one of the toolmaker at the plant I am stationed at to make for me was 72.857 grams.
When I got home tonight I tried it out but it didn't seem much deference until I added the original as well and it going like a rocket.
It vibrating just like my Lyman 2500 and I loaded it up with approx. 800 .40 and it was moving them up and down in the bowel and the media and cases are moving great and not just around the bowel like before.
So I happy and its not a lemon so far.
I will still watch it for a while in case the weight maybe to much especially if you are about to leave running for a couple of hours.
So far it looking good.
Regards
coonan1911

Rule3
December 17, 2013, 11:26 AM
Yes you could be right on that.
The normal price on this unit is around $399 to $499 USD.
And this unit was very low price.
I guess the old saying is you pay for what get.
My looks like its going to be a lemon.
Regards
coonan1911

Glad to hear you got it working better. Even if it ends up not running very long it will make an very nice chip and dip bowl to go with drinks!:D

ArchAngelCD
December 17, 2013, 06:12 PM
Going from 2 oz to 4.5 oz doesn't sound abusive to me. I'm sure the weights on my Berry's tumbler are heavier than that.

coonan1911
December 21, 2013, 02:23 AM
Hey Everyone,
Just a update on the tumbler its working like a dream and its tumbles the media
aggressively and is taking less time to polish the brass.
I did a test the other night on shift and let it run for nearly 7 . 5 hours and it worked flawlessly and no burning smell from over heating.
The brass came up so polished they almost look like new.
I am extremely happy with the results and like to thank all for the contribution and acknowledge all the help from the members.

Regards
coonan1911

If you enjoyed reading about "Smart Reloader 737" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!