Remington 700 sendero

PDA

darton2117
December 11, 2013, 02:26 AM
Having issues with a 7mm sendero, this is a new rifle stainless fluted with less than two boxes through it, Leupold vari x3 8-25 x 50 30mm tube, leupold one piece base & rings, having accuracy troubles can't seem to get it under 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards thought it might be a stiff factory trigger so replaced it with a light pull rifle basix trigger still no good, had another shooter ( I've seen shoot less than 1" groups at 100 yard with .270) try to group the rifle and couldn't do any better, I've only tried 150 grain Winchester PowerPoint soft points & 150 grain ballistic tip ammo same results any ideas would be appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 700 sendero" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rule303
December 11, 2013, 09:33 AM
Two types of factory ammo, both the same weight is not enough of a sample to say there is a problem with the rifle. A 1.5" group with factory ammo in a hunting rifle may be the best it will shoot with that ammo. Try some different bullets weights and styles, I am sure you can find one that will perform better. Rifles that will shoot any old load sub-MOA are few and far between.

bmnloader
December 11, 2013, 09:52 AM
I had almost the same problem with my 270 sendero when I bought it. after doing some trigger work, redoing the bedding and trueing up the crown. I can drive tacks with it now. the crown was the biggest problem. I also went to a 150gr bullet which help quite abit for some reason. you might want to try a heavier bullet and check the crown.

osteodoc08
December 11, 2013, 09:56 AM
In reality 1.5" with factory ammo at 100yds is not bad at all. If you want to get the most accuracy out of it, handload, make sure barrel is free floated and glass bed it.

joed
December 11, 2013, 08:22 PM
Unlike the others I think 1.5" groups at 100 yards is terrible for this rifle. But you've left out a lot of info. What was the weather? Being new it's to early to say it isn't going to shoot better which I believe it will as you get more rounds though it. It also may not like the ammo.

Spend more time with it first.

Vol46
December 11, 2013, 09:21 PM
You might also try torquing the action screws to factory specs. And making sure your scope base & ring screws are snug.
My 7mm Rem Mag is sub MOA with 154 grain Hornady BTSP, & close to that with 150 grain factory Federals, but didn't shoot 140 grain bullets ( 3 different brands)'very well at all. As others have said, try a few different ammunition brands & bullet weights.

Corn-Picker
December 12, 2013, 08:06 AM
I also think you need to try a few more types of ammo, especially some premium ammo (e.g. match ammo or premium hunting ammo). If it still doesn't shoot after trying four types of different preium ammo (some with different weights preferably) I would start looking at the combination of shooter/gun/optics. Assuming ammo and shooter are OK, I'd bet on bad optics/mounts rather than bad rifle. After trying premium ammo I'd swap out the rings/scope. Brand new scopes can fail in a few hundred rounds, even the expensive scopes from the big names. If you're unlucky your scope has failed in a way where isn't obvious, but just causes grouls to open up. Do your windage and elevation turrets feel normal when you turn them? If you move your windage three inches to the right does your group move three inches to the right, nine inches to the right, or not move at all?

41 Mag
December 13, 2013, 06:04 AM
Having Sedero's in both the 7 RM and 7 STW, that will shoot groups at 300yds that most would like at 100, I would say you need to try different branded ammo, as well as different bullet weights.

You should also find that as you put more rounds through it, it should tighten up some as well.

With my 7mm Rem, it was purchased for the specific task of hitting hogs hard at long range with the 162gr Hornady. At the time, it was the highest BC hunting bullet on the market. When I took the rifle out of the box, I polished the barrel using some 4A compound with 100 soaked patches. This effectively shined it up to an almost mirror finish. After that I began working up loads for it that would break 3000fps and group like I wanted them to. Using RL-19 I was hitting less than 1" groups with it off a solid set of bags at 300yds within two weeks of getting it. Mine is topped with a Burris 6 x 24 x 50 Signature series that makes picking the tick you want to shoot on the critter very easy. I used it on this nice 20" wide buck at 287yds a couple of seasons after putting it all together.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=192299&stc=1&d=1386933302

With factory ammo it will shoot almost as well with the Hornady factory loads using the standard Interlocks in 139, thru 162gr, and the Superformance 162gr load is almost an exact duplicate of my handload only using the SST verses the Interlock BTSP that I use.

Of things I have done with both of my two, the action screws were loosened slightly and using the weight of the rifle I held it up about 6" off the floor and bumped it down to settle everything. I then made sure it was centered using a folded piece of paper slid under the barrel to hold it centered while I torqued the action screws in proper order. These can be found in your owners manual or here, Model 700 Owners Manual (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/Owners-Manuals/om_7700710.ashx&sa=U&ei=r-SqUpmsAqm62AWElIDYCQ&ved=0CB0QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGddnJpwCKegFlUgGlP82Ov_oVtkw) PAY ATTENTION as the torque is in INCH POUNDS not ftlbs.

I set both of mine right in the middle of the specs and have had no issues with doing so. Neither of them, to me, recoil hard enough to go all the way up to the highest level and I haven't had anything change on them in hundreds of rounds down either of their pipes.

As for the STW, I haven't even given it a good work over with handloads yet. When I purchased it, it was used, and I picked up two boxes of Federal factory 150gr Solid Base loads for it and went to the woods to see how she shot. I mounted a Burris 4.5 x 14 on top, bore sighted it simply looking through the barrel, and we fired a round for effect at 100yds. I made a few clicks up and to the right and fired the second shot into the bull. We then moved it to 200yds and fired 3 more rounds for group and had to ride out and look to make sure all three went on the target. We found one three sided hole and I haven't looked back. I purchased all the remaining boxes of that ammo Midway had in stock and am still shooting it. After six of the 15 boxes I got it is still putting them into those same sized clusters each time I haul it out. I have done nothing else what so ever to the rifle, and figure there is no reason to jack with trying to beat the factory accuracy. With the Federal loads being listed on the scopes drop sheet it makes it real easy to reach out across the wide open pastures. You simply zero it at 200 and the drops are right in line with the mil dots in the reticle. It works great for putting the smack down on the hogs as well,
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=192301&stc=1&d=1386934890

One last thing you might try with your scope. Set your rig up solid on bags or in a rest where it is zeroed in on the center of a bull. Without touching the rifle, move your head around while looking through the scope. If you see the cross hair appear to move in any way around as you move your issue could be parallax, and that could easily and quickly explain your group sizes being what they are. If your not in the exact same position each and every shot the minor movement of the reticle on the target will change your point of impact.

Here is a link to an excellent explanation on how to find and adjust for parallax with your scope.
Parallax vs Focus (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/parallax-vs-focus-1988/)

The first post is pretty technical, but the #4 one is more for folks like me who are more meat and potatoes than a fancy food connoisseur.

Hope this helps, of the rifles I like the most for accuracy those two are hard to beat hands down from a strictly out of the box point of view, if your scope is indeed the issue, it is about a 15 minute or so fix, and easily done at the range.

adobewalls
December 14, 2013, 09:13 AM
The Senderos are generally pretty good out of the box.

I've done nothing to mine and it shoots 150 gr. to 175 gr. bullets very well. My go to loads are 150 gr. Noslers or 160 Sierras which has put meat on the table from 140 yards out to 400 yards.

ms6852
December 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
As everyone has suggested, you might also want to match bullet weight to the rifle twist.
Run a dollar bill between barrel and forearm stock to ensure that the barrel is not rubbing on the forearm. Do this also when barrel is hot, if it touches the forearm when hot sand paper just that area of the forearm, which could help with your accuracy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 700 sendero" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!