Solution for an optic and iron?

PDA

BigShep85
December 13, 2013, 03:56 PM
I have irons which I prefer but I would like to add an optic for longer shots, out to 100 or 200 yards at most. What are the solutions to this problem?
high rise scope mount?
Quick release?
red dot?
Side mount?
Of course I would like to spend as little money as popssible in solving this are problem.
Suggestions or pictures of how others solved this problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "Solution for an optic and iron?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
G.barnes
December 13, 2013, 04:04 PM
You can run a red dot with either cowitness or lower 1/3 cowitness or a scope with flip irons. If you try to use a scope with fixed irons you will lose your cheek weld and your follow up shots will suffer since it will take a little longer to get back on target. You could also go with red dot with a magnifier and flip ups.

BigShep85
December 13, 2013, 04:30 PM
I have a stationary front iron sight and a flip up rear.

G.barnes
December 13, 2013, 06:45 PM
The front sight doesn't matter as long as the scope or red dot are level with it. You won't see the front sight with the scope and all that matters with the red dot is the dot. I have an aimpoint pro and I can use it with the front cover closed with both eyes open. If you get a red dot made for an ar they are made to work with fixed front sights.

jmr40
December 13, 2013, 09:42 PM
What type of rifle?

Generally quick release is my preferred option. Red dots are not that great up close and irons are more precise at longer range. A low powered scope, 1-4X or 2-7X will be faster up close than irons or dot sights when set on the low powers as well as giving magnification for longer shots.

The illuminated dots are easy to see, but the poor optics of all dot sights make it difficult to see the target in all but the best light.

Buy a quality optic and you'll soon forget about using irons.

boricua9mm
December 13, 2013, 09:56 PM
Red dots are not that great up close

Thousands and thousands of Aimpoint and EoTech users disagree. Red dots offer a huge speed advantage at close range, and even at 200 yards, they are faster to get rounds on target than irons. Lining up two things is always faster and easier than lining up three.

Honestly, irons are fine for 0-200 yards. A red dot of 2MOA or even 4MOA will also be quite useful, but if you're gonna cheap out on it, I think you'd be best served by saving the money and getting more familiar with the irons.

R.W.Dale
December 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
I've wrestled with this very conundrum with more rifles than I care to count.

I've come to the conclusion that the answer is to buy a quality scope and forget about the irons.

jon_in_wv
December 13, 2013, 10:39 PM
My solution is simple on my AK. I have a Bushnell 1-4 power shotgun scope mounted on the QD mount on the rail. It works great out to 200y and if the scope was damaged I can just slide it off and use the irons. Since it is such low power I really don't use the irons much anyhow. I may upgrade the scope to a 2-7 or 3-9 power scope later.

I'm not a fan of the whole "co-witness" concept. The scope works fine without a front sight obscuring the view. I would much rather have a quick detach optic and the sights as a backup after I remove the scope.

atomd
December 13, 2013, 11:02 PM
If you prefer irons then run irons. A 1/3 cowitness eotech would be the next best thing because the reticle has a good spread to it. From 100-200 yards you can drill stuff with irons...heck service rifle shooters smack targets at 600 yards all day long with irons.

BigShep85
December 13, 2013, 11:10 PM
It will be going on an AR15.

jon_in_wv
December 14, 2013, 10:46 PM
An an AR I recommend a magnified scope, at least a 1-4, preferably a 3-9. I don't see the logic in limiting the reach of an AR with its optic when the rifle is capable of reaching out so much further. Put it on a quick release mount and you can pop it off when you want to use the irons. Even with the option of irons on my AK I use the scope much more often.

PS. I know you can shoot longer with an optic like the eotech but its much easier to utilize the accuracy of the AR with a little magnification and cross hairs instead of a dot that gets pretty big after a while. If you only plan on shooting short distance or action type shooting then the eotech might fit the bill though.

rcmodel
December 14, 2013, 11:16 PM
I've come to the conclusion that the answer is to buy a quality scope and forget about the irons. This is the correct answer IMO:

Once you use a good quality low power variable scope on an AR-15?
There will never be a need to go back to irons.

rc

Steel Horse Rider
December 14, 2013, 11:28 PM
I have a Remington 788 with the high mount so you can use the iron sights (I added a Williams peep sight to the rear) or the scope for distance, but I have been thinking about removing the scope. I like receiver mounted aperture sights when I have a choice but there is something to be said about the WWII style graduated elevation ladder sights of the style used by the Europeans. Most of my European military rifles are very accurate out to 600 yards simply by adjusting the slide which is quicker but probably not as accurate as the Garand style adjustment on the rear sight of American military rifles.

My advice would be to practice with the open sights and if you cannot get the accuracy you desire then go with a variable power scope.

Outlaw Man
December 14, 2013, 11:48 PM
Thousands and thousands of Aimpoint and EoTech users disagree. Red dots offer a huge speed advantage at close range, and even at 200 yards, they are faster to get rounds on target than irons. Lining up two things is always faster and easier than lining up three.

Honestly, irons are fine for 0-200 yards. A red dot of 2MOA or even 4MOA will also be quite useful, but if you're gonna cheap out on it, I think you'd be best served by saving the money and getting more familiar with the irons.
I agree completely.

If you decide you have to get more magnification, get folding irons and a LaRue QD mount.

If you enjoyed reading about "Solution for an optic and iron?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!