Wood, Or...

PDA

ZVP
December 14, 2013, 05:33 PM
Been a traditionalist all my life. Wood and Steel!
I do own a Nylon 12 and a Nyon 66 and a Savage1962 A copy made on Winchesrer tooling with a synthotic stock added in Canada) An all weather .22 for sure!
Somehow, wood/Steel shotguns, Rifles Airguns, andhunters just seem "right" to my eye!
Same for Pistols and Revolvers!
BPDave

If you enjoyed reading about "Wood, Or..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LAGS
December 14, 2013, 05:39 PM
@ ZVP
Ther is nothing that comes close to the feel or finish of wood.
I have never been into Black Guns of any kind, and prefer the artistry that can come out on a gun with a good wood stock.
Every one is Unique.

jstein650
December 14, 2013, 05:46 PM
Really can't beat blued steel and good wood, however, I have several guns with the brown laminate, and they are pretty handsome guns. An acceptable compromise in my book. They tend to be on the heavy side, but that's never been a detraction for me.

HammsBeer
December 14, 2013, 05:48 PM
My gun cabinet is a 50/50 mix of nice classic wood and blued steel, next to the latest light weight polymer stocks and melonite or anodized finishes.

No wood grips on any of my handguns though, I prefer rubber or polymer grips.

Robert
December 14, 2013, 05:48 PM
Wood is all well and good and I am a fan, I truly am. But as soon as I can afford it I am buying a Manners or McMillan stock for my hunting rifle. I want something that is both moisture proof and bomb proof as I tend to be hard on working items.

GyMac
December 14, 2013, 06:20 PM
Both have their place, but I prefer wood.

jmr40
December 14, 2013, 06:36 PM
I appreciate a nice looking piece of wood as much as anyone. But 90% of the wood stocks I see now are so bad I'd rather have one of the cheapest plastic stocks. If it's gonna be ugly, it might as well be functional.

On a rifle you're going to actually use, wood doesn't come close to "quality" synthetics.

Ironman615
December 14, 2013, 06:41 PM
I have to agree that, although I prefer wood, sometimes synthetics make good sense. Other times there's not much choice; if you want a Ruger SR9, it's going to have a polymer frame. Still, if I can get it in wood and steel, I do!

WVRJ
December 14, 2013, 06:52 PM
My safes don't have many wood stocked guns,but the ones that are there are beautiful to look at.I think if I'm concentrating on not banging up a pretty stock,I'm taking too much focus off the shot.The rifles that I use when I mean business are all in some form of synthetic stock.They're ugly to some,but there is a functional beauty to them as well.

bearman49709
December 14, 2013, 07:10 PM
Not one of my centerfire rifle's has wood and only my XM15 has blue steel.

Savage99
December 14, 2013, 10:49 PM
In the 50's when I started all we had was walnut and blue.

When the SS came I had to get a few. The Kimber Montanas are my favorite such rifle.

I can still remember coming down off the mountain near the camp in 1968. It had rained almost all day I was wet and so was my Savage 99. The 4X scope had fogged up with water.

The 99 still has no rust on it. I must have done a good job cleaning it.

I favor handsome rifles.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/595/1102x.jpg

pippin53
December 14, 2013, 11:00 PM
Rifles have been wood, and dragged through the harshest conditions possible. For centuries. With blackpowder rifles that required dousing the stocks with water for most of that time.

I don't get why people talk about wood stocks as if they will fall apart under the slightest rough handling. Heck, mannlicher style stocks were made so you could knock them around. Keep it waxed or oiled, or put a good varnish finish on it, and it'll handle as rough of tasks as you can probably throw at it.

Norrick
December 15, 2013, 04:19 AM
I used to obsess over these types of things, but right now it seems that how well it fits me and how well it shoots matters more than anything else, and that changes from rifle to rifle.

Now if you're building a labor of love its a bit different, and it depends on your project.

I'm going to go.... laminated wood. Has some of the beauty of wood but rigidity comparable to modern materials.

crashyoung
December 15, 2013, 04:46 AM
All my firearms are wood and blued steel.
The only different finish is on my 50 cal assault black knight in-line black powder rifle...
It has a black finish that makes it look mean ;) and gets lots of comments!

elktrout
December 15, 2013, 08:49 AM
I love wood. It is beautiful as well as warm to the touch in cold weather, especially when you cheek the stock to shoot or prepare to shoot. However, western hunts are hard on guns. A good synthetic will easily take the pounding that your rifle takes during a western hunt. A wood stock can do the same, but you will have a lot of scratches, dents, and gouges in it when you are done.

juk
December 15, 2013, 01:07 PM
I love my wood and blue guns! However, I worry about beating them up to much. My guns have to have wear marks and little nicks and dings to show that they are actual working tools. I have been getting a hankering for a synthetic stocked rifle for peace of mind. I already have synthetic on my duck hunting shotguns and wouldn't have those any other way. I do not want a nice piece of wood to be destroyed from banging around in a boat, being dropped in water, and being beat up against all sorts of brush.

Fremmer
December 15, 2013, 01:52 PM
I agree with Elktrout about wood feeling much warmer than the synthetic stocks do.

And there's nothing like nice wood grain next to polished blue!

witchhunter
December 15, 2013, 02:05 PM
All of my prairie dog guns are composite stocked. My deer rifle is wood. I bought a composite stock for it a few years ago, but it is back in the original wood now. It shoots right at a half inch as it sits, that works for me.

Jason_W
December 15, 2013, 02:09 PM
Wood looks and feels better than synthetic or laminate, but synthetic and laminate are more durable and less prone to expanding or shrinking with changing temperatures and moisture levels.

meef
December 15, 2013, 02:09 PM
Actually, I prefer my rifle stocks to be molded from breast implant silicone.

Really softens up the recoil on those hard-kicking calibers and feels so nice to place my cheek against when sighting in a shot.

back40
December 15, 2013, 02:21 PM
i can really appreciate a nice piece of wood. as someone else mentioned though on newer guns those "nice" pieces are fewer and further between. i went back and forth on my most recent hunting rifle, but ended up going synthetic for the durability and consistency in various weather conditions.

i also agree that wood "feels warmer" than synthetic. i wouldn't mind finding a nice m70 featherweight take off for my extreme weather at some point.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wood, Or..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!