help w mossberg 500 takedown

PDA

aguywithagun
December 15, 2013, 01:06 AM
today was the first time i took down my mossberg 500 and i'm not sure if my re-assembly was 100% correct. i can chamber rounds and eject them np, but does that mean it's perfect, or would it not work at all if everything wasn't perfect?

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "help w mossberg 500 takedown" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
December 15, 2013, 01:09 AM
If you really can cycle shells through the gun, I can't picture any way for it to be put together incorrectly.

I assume you just field-stripped it, right? Didn't try to disassemble the trigger group or bolt?

rcmodel
December 15, 2013, 01:13 AM
well, it wasn't perfect to start with I betcha!!

But if it works right?

It is assembled correctly.

Unless you totally dissembled the trigger group down to the last spring?
Which you should not do in the first place!

There is not much way you can put it back together wrong.

They design guns that way, to be idiot-proof, on purpose.

Not inferring you are one, but just saying if they could be put together wrong after simple cleaning?

There are some idjits out there that would find a way to do it.
And they can't on a properly designed gun like yours.

rc

aguywithagun
December 15, 2013, 01:16 AM
i haven't fired it yet, but yeah i can fill the mag tube and then cycle them all out.

heh no way, just a field strip. i removed the bolt and trigger assembly, but didn't take those individual parts apart. removed the elevator and those other thin metal things (can you tell i'm new to shotguns?) and then cleaned 'em and put 'em back together.

i'm more accustomed to pistols so i'm a bit paranoid.

Sam1911
December 15, 2013, 01:21 AM
If you got the cartridge interruptor and cartridge stop lever/bars back in and everything works, (especially on the first try?) well you're an overachiever! :)

aguywithagun
December 15, 2013, 01:27 AM
well techincally it was my first try, but it took several hours and i missed a meal XD

rcmodel
December 15, 2013, 01:44 AM
Well, technically, if it still works now??

Ya done good!

And all is well!

rc

tiamat
December 17, 2013, 05:35 PM
pretty sure there's a sticky post for this already.

Black Knight
December 17, 2013, 09:51 PM
AGI (American Gunsmithing Institute) has a DVD Armorers course for the Mossberg 500. It is a good DVD and will help. The only thing to remember is to know your own limits. Just because a person can change a tire and the sparkplugs does not make them a mechanic. Good luck. From what you have said I would imagine it is fine.

PabloJ
December 17, 2013, 10:00 PM
AGI (American Gunsmithing Institute) has a DVD Armorers course for the Mossberg 500. It is a good DVD and will help. The only thing to remember is to know your own limits. Just because a person can change a tire and the sparkplugs does not make them a mechanic. Good luck. From what you have said I would imagine it is fine.
It's much quicker to visit YouTube and search for Mossberg 500 disassembly.;)

lpsharp88
December 18, 2013, 08:55 PM
I'd say as long as it cycles shells/passes a function test you're good to go

theblakester
December 19, 2013, 06:47 PM
Empty the gun completely. Double check that the gun is completely empty. Point the gun in a safe direction. Place your finger on the trigger. Remove your finger from the trigger. Triple check that the gun is completely unloaded. Try to dry fire it in a safe direction with the safety on. Remove the safety. Dry fire it in a safe direction. Cycle action. Double check that the gun is still empty. Put safety on. Try to dry fire it one more time.

If you enjoyed reading about "help w mossberg 500 takedown" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!