40 cal autos

PDA

gutterman
December 18, 2013, 10:51 PM
Looking for opinions on the best 40 Cal auto for SD--based on size--function--reliability--price--comfort in concealment etc. Go crazy.

If you enjoyed reading about "40 cal autos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lpsharp88
December 18, 2013, 11:10 PM
I'd say either a Glock 23 or 27 would be a good place to start. I CCW a 26, and the 27 is the .40 version of the 26, assuming that the two are the same size, it would conceal just fine. Many people ccw the 19, which is the same size as the 23, but in 9mm as opposed to .40

Hokkmike
December 19, 2013, 12:36 AM
Walther PPS.

g_one
December 19, 2013, 12:47 AM
If you want the tried-and-true standard, go Glock. If you want something a little bit apart from what everyone else has, I strongly suggest checking out the CZ P-06 (all metal) or P-07 (polymer). The P-01 which is just the P-06 but in 9mm, is literally the next gun on my purchase list after the holidays

TheGoldenSaber
December 19, 2013, 02:29 AM
If you have your heart set on a .40 I would recommend a Glock 23. You can convert it to 9mm and 357 Sig which is pretty cool.

However ...

I had a 9mm, sold it and bought a .40. Then after a couple years I sold it and got another 9mm. I would highly recommend just sticking to a 9mm. I thought it was lacking in stopping power, but realistically all pistols are. I've heard of people getting shot with every pistol caliber you could think of and surviving. People have been successfully using 9mms for almost 114 years. It must be doing something right.

Also, if you haven't shot a .40 before, I would recommend you do before you buy one. You might be in for a surprise. I actually had a Glock 22 and it had more recoil then any other pistol I've ever shot, including a 357 Magnum with hot defense ammo. A 9mm with +P defense ammo is pretty close to a .40, plus you have more capacity and generally a higher resale value. On top of all of that, if you have a wife or kids it would be a lot easier for them to shoot a 9mm then a .40.

Sorry for such a long reply but I just wanted to fill you in on my experience with it. Good luck with whatever you choose.

sevt_chevelle
December 19, 2013, 10:57 AM
I like the 40, I have a FNX40 and a S&W MP, both are considered full size or duty size pistols. Am 6'2 180 and have no problems hiding either one. IMO the FNX fits my hand better, more accurate and has less perceived recoil then the MP. Both are awesome pistols and will remain in my collection.

But with that said the one I throw on the most is a MP9c. Its smaller and just wears a little easier then a full size. I went with a 9mm in the smaller size cause the 40 was just a tad too much, quick follow up shots were easier with the 9 then in the 40 when coupled in the sub-compact frame.

Kahr33556
December 19, 2013, 11:08 AM
There is no best.
Its all what fits you the best.
Now there are many to stay away from.

Ranger Roberts
December 19, 2013, 11:19 AM
I carry a Glock 22 for work so I decided to stay with the same platform for my personal carry and went with the Glock 23. I have the G23 & the G23c. The G23c is ported and it does help with recoil a bit but night shooting can be a little challenging.

Do you happen to have a local range that rents handguns? It might be the best way to see what feels and shoots best for you.

TarDevil
December 19, 2013, 11:31 AM
To the OP: Other than everyone throwing their personal favorite .40's choices at you, we don't know much about you... your physique, how you dress, is this for home SD or CC?

Help us out a little.

pendennis
December 19, 2013, 11:31 AM
It's all about how the gun fits you. Glocks are fine, but all .40's are double stacks. If you have smaller hands, or shorter fingers, you may not like them.

However, there are Walthers (PPS) which are single stack, and they do fit my hand.

Try, try, try, before you buy.

JTQ
December 19, 2013, 11:58 AM
In .40S&W, the M&P.

Here is a Hilton Yam comment.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=171#more-171

Same with .40 the M&P was designed for the .40, with steel chassis for increased rigidity and none of the durability or function issues of the Glock 22. Oddly, the 9mm was shoehorned into the M&P platform rather than the reverse which is true for Glock, and it is therefore the weakest model of the M&P.

Hometeached1
December 19, 2013, 12:20 PM
S&W M&P 40, full size or compact. If you can afford it a HK USP compact or P2000. since all of these were designed for the .40

SDGlock23
December 19, 2013, 01:05 PM
For all around use, carryability, price, capacity and reliability?

Glock 23.

el Godfather
December 19, 2013, 02:12 PM
With the criteria you listed: Glock 23.

Big_John1961
December 19, 2013, 03:33 PM
If you have your heart set on a .40 I would recommend a Glock 23. You can convert it to 9mm and 357 Sig which is pretty cool.

However ...

I had a 9mm, sold it and bought a .40. Then after a couple years I sold it and got another 9mm. I would highly recommend just sticking to a 9mm. I thought it was lacking in stopping power, but realistically all pistols are. I've heard of people getting shot with every pistol caliber you could think of and surviving. People have been successfully using 9mms for almost 114 years. It must be doing something right.

Also, if you haven't shot a .40 before, I would recommend you do before you buy one. You might be in for a surprise. I actually had a Glock 22 and it had more recoil then any other pistol I've ever shot, including a 357 Magnum with hot defense ammo. A 9mm with +P defense ammo is pretty close to a .40, plus you have more capacity and generally a higher resale value. On top of all of that, if you have a wife or kids it would be a lot easier for them to shoot a 9mm then a .40.

Sorry for such a long reply but I just wanted to fill you in on my experience with it. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I've got to disagree with at least part of your post. I don't find the recoil witht the .40S&W to be anywhere near as bad as you're describing, and certainly not close to the .357 Magnum with any load let alone a defensive cartridge. The .40 is snappier than most 9mm loads, but still very maneageable. As with anything, practice makes perfect.

Your suggestion of the Glock 23 is a good one, IMO.

JDR
December 19, 2013, 04:02 PM
I have an H&K USP 40, a Gen4 Glock 22, and a Sig P226 in .40S&W. They are all very good but the H&K is just a little bit better as a range gun than the other 2. The Glock is the best carry gun.

SuedePflow
December 19, 2013, 04:19 PM
Another vote for the Glock 23.

cowtownup
December 19, 2013, 04:52 PM
I carry a M&P 40c and conceal it easily... A good gun belt has made it much more comfortable to carry all day... I could stand for it to be a tad bit thinner and lighter but it's not a big deal... I've never carried a Glock or any other pistol for that matter so I can't give a direct comparison... Good luck...

G.barnes
December 19, 2013, 06:37 PM
The nicest shooting 40 I've shot was an hk p2000. It feels like a 9mm. My wife liked it better than my g19.

MikeJackmin
December 19, 2013, 06:55 PM
There are a ton of good choices and of course everyone's style is different. I can tell you what's worked for me, and perhaps you'll find it helpful.

My choice was driven by two main constraints - the first was that I wanted a 'windex bottle' gun (no safeties, no decockers, same trigger from shot to shot, bonus points for true DA so dry fire is not such a chore), and it had to fit my hand and point naturally.

The second constraint was hardest one, because for some reason I cannot hold flat-sided guns with a damn, even with grip adapters.

The only gun that met both constraints was the Sig P250 - this is a highly modular gun, which allows conversion from subcompact, compact, and full sized, each with small, medium, or large grips, and in calibers from .380 through .45. I settled on a .40 compact-sized top end over a subcompact grip frame. It fits me well, and it has a smooth, true DA trigger.

The early versions had problems but they seem to be squared away now. Mine needed a trip back for some upgraded parts, but it's been running perfectly ever since. I've been following the saga on the various forums and the new ones do seem to be right. Sig customer service is pretty good, too, and that takes a lot of the risk out of it.

All that said, I'd say the most important thing is that you want a gun that fits your hand. Fit, to me, means three things:

1) Grasp the gun, identify a spot on the wall, close your eyes, point the gun at the spot, open your eyes. If the sights are on the spot, it fits.

2) While aiming, tighten your grip. If the sights do not move, it fits.

3) Your hand can only grip it one way without feeling really weird. You want your grip to be consistent, and if it's off, you want it to be obvious.

Any quality gun that fits your hand and makes you happy will be a good choice. It's also nice if it can accept a 9mm conversion, if you later decide to go that route.

TheGoldenSaber
December 19, 2013, 08:56 PM
I've got to disagree with at least part of your post. I don't find the recoil witht the .40S&W to be anywhere near as bad as you're describing, and certainly not close to the .357 Magnum with any load let alone a defensive cartridge. The .40 is snappier than most 9mm loads, but still very maneageable. As with anything, practice makes perfect.

Your suggestion of the Glock 23 is a good one, IMO.
Idk, that was just my experience with it. It had at least 1.5x the recoil of a 9mm, but it was my Glock 23 compared to a CZ75, not another polymer 9mm, so it probably soaked up some recoil.

SuedePflow
December 19, 2013, 10:03 PM
Idk, that was just my experience with it. It had at least 1.5x the recoil of a 9mm, but it was my Glock 23 compared to a CZ75, not another polymer 9mm, so it probably soaked up some recoil.
I've found that a reduced rate recoil spring goes a long way with reducing perceived recoil and "snapiness" in any .40 cal Glock. I run them in my G23 and my G24 with great success.

mongoslow
December 19, 2013, 11:00 PM
Glock G23

kmbrman
December 20, 2013, 06:53 PM
Glock 23 is the best compromise in my book. I like the accuracy, ease of shooting and is easy to carry concealed.

Dlowe167
December 20, 2013, 07:07 PM
I have a CZ P-06 ive had 4yrs. its $500-650 depends on where u look.I carry it daily.Very accurate,its alloy;Great gun,u wont regret it

hardluk1
December 21, 2013, 07:27 AM
since concealability is mentioned down pass on the larger tp40 kahr. Thin makes for easier hiding on your buddy and enough mass to be controllable even with 155gr 1302fps underwood ammo. If not on your buddy or atleast not under a coat or jacket full time a glock mid size or m&p, xd.

Fiv3r
December 21, 2013, 11:12 AM
Depending on deeply you want to co conceal, I've really become smitten with my FNS40. For me, it has less perceived recoil than other 40s I've shot. It's reliable, accurate, and while duty sized the 4" barrel doesn't make it impossible to hide.

I like it more than my Glock.

tarosean
December 21, 2013, 11:59 AM
I've sold off every 40 with exception of a BHP. That's the only one that has been perfect and soaks up 40 like it was nothing.

Beretta 96 also tames 40 quite well but it's a little large for concealed carry..

decoy562
December 22, 2013, 04:32 PM
Like my G23 and I have Storm Lake 9mm and 357 sig barrels.

The_Armed_Therapist
December 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
My preference is for no manual safety and striker-fired for the "ultimate" in self-defense/carry guns... and this from a Sig Sauer fan. No matter how I try to think of it, I always revert back to the following:

Glock
Springfield XD(or XDM)
Smith & Wesson M&P

All 3 come in various sizes, and all in .40sw. My preference is also for as big a pistol as can be carried. Most don't like to conceal full-sized pistols. If you can and do, then perfect! Glock 22, and full-sized XD, XDM, and M&P; if not, then move to the "compact" models, ie, Glock 23; if not, then move to the "sub-compact" models, ie, Glock 27. After determining the biggest you want to carry, then decide which of the 3 brands you like best.

Best of luck!

matrem
December 22, 2013, 06:25 PM
Glock
Springfield XD(or XDM)
Smith & Wesson M&P

That exactly mirrors my experience with "go to" .40s
After determining the biggest you want to carry, then decide which of the 3 brands you like best.

That does too.

Mike J
December 22, 2013, 08:33 PM
I own 2 .40's one is a Ruger P94 that is bulky & DA/SA. Although a decent gun it is bulky & I don't really like the slide mounted safety (I wish I had gotten a decock only model).

The other is a XD-40 I bought new in 2007. It is an accurate reliable gun & works well. I have shot my neighbors 3rd generation Glock 23 & I liked the way it shot & handled. The Glock has a lower bore axis than my XD so it has less muzzle flip but the recoil is somewhat more pronounced. There are a lot of good options out there you just have to figure out what works for you.

RBid
December 22, 2013, 10:11 PM
I dislike subcompact pistols in .40, but I am a fan of the round in service pistols. The smallest I would use for concealed carry would be the Glock 23. I'm also a fan of Glock 22, S&W M&P 40, and Sig P226. Despite being a Walther fan, I don't like them at all in .40.

Ryushin
December 23, 2013, 11:43 AM
Gee, no one seems to like the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. I'm a safety kind of guy, and when the safety is on, it's essentially a brick. Rotating barrel is not a gimic and it really soaks up recoil. I guess I just like being different.

TestPilot
December 23, 2013, 12:13 PM
I'd start with examining M&P and Glock.

M&P40 handles recoil better than Glock22. However, M&P does not come in Glock23 size.

If you desire manual firing inhibitor thumb levers, then SR40 can be a choice.

There is also FNS40, but I cannot comment on how well it works.

H&K USP works, but H&K pistols have a high bore axis. Not much of a problem in 9mm, but quite noticable in 40S&W. USP works fine in 40S&W, but I cannot comment on recent ones like P30 because most perfornace tests on publications involves 9mm, and while they are better at quality control than most, even H&K put out malfunctioning pistols at times.

SIG has a proven track record with good 40S&W pistols. P226, P229, and SP2022 works very well with 40S&W. Those SIG absorb recoil better than any other pistols I've shot, although it does come at a price of increased muzzle rise due to the high bore axis. However, due to the heavier weight and stiff recoil system, it is lot more controllable than H&K plastic framed pistols.

CHP is very partial to M4006. There is also Beretta M96. It shares all the good things of M92, but bad things also. 9mm M92 locking mechanism durability never got a good reputation, and it can only be worse with 40S&W.

Finding a right one may not always be easy. It should be noted that while 40S&W has been around for a while, except for a few companies, it is only recent times that companies started properly designing pistols for 40S&W. Glock just managed to get one right with Gen 4 only recently, and there are companies that still do not have an idea how to properly build one.

sfed
December 23, 2013, 02:06 PM
I rotate my carry guns very now and then, I carry a Sig Sauer SP2022 in 9mm and the Ruger SR 40, both are excellent shooters and both are basically the same size. I also vary carry position from a vertical position shoulder holster to an outside the waistband retention holster. I have carried inside the waistband but it is more comfortable outside the waistband. Not hard to cover either so in the 40S&W either the SP2022 in a 40 cal or the Ruger SR40 full size would work well. The Sig SP 2022 is a little more accurate but not by much. I know a lot of people sell the Ruger short, but that is not my feelings at all.

zeke4351
December 23, 2013, 03:54 PM
A Glock 27 with full power .40 S&W loads kicks like a mule. Get a Sig 239 or P229 or a similar sized gun if you want to shoot .40. If you are going to shoot the watered down loads I would not even buy a .40.

TestPilot
December 23, 2013, 05:10 PM
If you are going to shoot the watered down loads I would not even buy a .40.
Totally agree. Why go through the trouble of getting a 40S&W gun, paying more for 40S&W ammo, then shoot a power equvalent of a 9mm out of it? Unless it is strictly for fun.

Do not get a 40S&W gun if you're not going to shoot full power ammo out of it.

TUBBY1
December 23, 2013, 06:25 PM
Shield m&p in 40 will fill your need for about 450.00 . Been pleased with mine. You should check it out.

hardluk1
December 23, 2013, 08:51 PM
No watered down loads in my 40. Underwood 155gr that chronies at 1302 fps from a 4" barrel. No 9mm can deal with that and even the 357sig fall behind when compared to the 147gr loads.

gym
December 24, 2013, 11:04 PM
A Glock 23 is kind of the standard of self defense guns in 40.

Byrd666
December 24, 2013, 11:49 PM
EMP .40 PERIOD

End of debate :_)

epoletna
December 25, 2013, 12:26 AM
My carry gun is a Sig 226. I'm very happy with it.

gym
December 25, 2013, 12:45 AM
I have had an EMP 40 and a Glock 23, the 23 is superior because of the 14 round capacity as a tactical gun. The Emp is a carry and range gun

Robbins290
December 25, 2013, 03:02 AM
I would agree with golden saber. I would look at the m&p's. Better ergo's then a glock. Very simple design. But i would go with 9mm

armsmaster270
December 27, 2013, 07:24 AM
I prefer a Sig

Trunk Monkey
December 27, 2013, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB9kEc9S8ac

It's weird to me that 47 posts into this thread no one has even mentioned the .40 S&W pistol the S&W 4006.

It is the only .40 I will carry, It is the most accurate pistol I own and as noted in the video the all steel frame soaks up the recoil of the .40 S&W round.

MikePaiN
December 27, 2013, 11:15 PM
I have an M&P Shield and G23 in .40. I love them both but the Shield gets the most use. The Smith is just much easier to carry and have on hand while having the same "shoot-ability" and reliability as the Glock.

USAFret
December 27, 2013, 11:59 PM
I like my M&P 40C but always suggest that folks should do lots of hands-on research to find what 'they like'!!

RBid
December 28, 2013, 03:20 AM
I have an M&P Shield and G23 in .40. I love them both but the Shield gets the most use. The Smith is just much easier to carry and have on hand while having the same "shoot-ability" and reliability as the Glock.

Having run them both (the G23 in both Gen 3 and Gen 4 versions), I feel compelled to point out that the G23, especially in Gen 4, is better suited to shooting fast than the Shield .40. I freely admit that it handles the .40 very well for a single stack sub, but it is not the same at speed.

MikePaiN
December 28, 2013, 09:58 AM
Having run them both (the G23 in both Gen 3 and Gen 4 versions), I feel compelled to point out that the G23, especially in Gen 4, is better suited to shooting fast than the Shield .40. I freely admit that it handles the .40 very well for a single stack sub, but it is not the same at speed.

One of the most surprising aspects of the Shield 40 is the control-ability of the little gun. I was completely taken off guard by this at the first shooting, I was expecting huge recoil and flip but I got was mild thump and quick settling.
Maybe in competition shooting where 10th's of a second and fractions of an inch matter the Glock has the advantage but for real world use and defensive situations.....I stand on my points.

TanklessPro
December 28, 2013, 08:23 PM
Buy the one that feels right in your hand. You can't go wrong as long as you are buying from a major manufacturer, at least from my experience.

Bert Retta
December 28, 2013, 09:14 PM
IMO,For the Cost, Reliability, function, RUGER SR40C Hands down ,the only negative for me is the Slide spring,18-22 lbs,I have strong hands and its over the top on racking the slide,its not so much the strength of the springs its the grip.You will have a tuff time using your thumb and index finger.

Nom de Forum
December 28, 2013, 09:15 PM
There are plenty of good choices as far as reliable operation. I hope you have the opportunity to shoot a few choices before making your decision. They all shoot accurately enough if they fit your hand reasonably well.

Focus on what is the best choice of a mix of what feels good in your hand and what is comfortable to wear concealed when you are wearing what you most often wear. When you consider wear comfort, I think low bulk is more important than weight if carried in a CCW appropriate holster.

I recommend Glock or S&W M&P for ease of service and repair, and available options and accessories.

SilentScream
December 28, 2013, 09:27 PM
For my money I don't think it gets any better than the HK P2000 with the light LEM trigger. Probably the softest shooting .40 I've ever shot, quality is second to none, and the footprint is almost identical to the Glock 19/23 so concealment is easy enough.

RBid
December 28, 2013, 10:46 PM
One of the most surprising aspects of the Shield 40 is the control-ability of the little gun. I was completely taken off guard by this at the first shooting, I was expecting huge recoil and flip but I got was mild thump and quick settling.
Maybe in competition shooting where 10th's of a second and fractions of an inch matter the Glock has the advantage but for real world use and defensive situations.....I stand on my points.

For most shooters, who haven't developed any ability to shoot accurately with real speed (3-5 shots per second), the Shield .40 will be a rodeo bull at speed. When you're in a violent situation, seconds are huge. Even fractions of seconds can be critical. If an attacker is within 10 feet, the defender does not want to have to wrestle and reset grip on every shot. This SHOULD be addressed with training, but the reality is that most simply won't do it. It's a disservice to recommend firearms that require extra proficiency to use effectively.

flintlock62
December 30, 2013, 12:39 AM
For functionality and price, go with a Glock23.
For the best, go with a Sig P226 or HK P30LS

gym
December 30, 2013, 12:47 AM
M&P Pro C.O.R.E. That'sa nica gun.

flintlock62
December 30, 2013, 01:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB9kEc9S8ac

It's weird to me that 47 posts into this thread no one has even mentioned the .40 S&W pistol the S&W 4006.

It is the only .40 I will carry, It is the most accurate pistol I own and as noted in the video the all steel frame soaks up the recoil of the .40 S&W round.
I shot one a few times, and while it's OK, it's a PITA to field strip. The grip is also wide, so one needs to have have big hands for them to be comfortable. They are also a bit bulky for concealed carry.

plateshooter
December 30, 2013, 04:33 PM
Out of the several 40 S&W handguns that I own, my favorite for games, range use, and home defense, is my G20 10mm with a Lone Wolf 40 conversion barrel. The big frame makes it easier for me to get accurate shot placement. The gun is super reliable, and shoots right to point of aim with my 180gr/Power Pistol loads.

Don't know if the OP would even consider this setup, but I thought I would throw it in just because.

Esoxchaser
December 30, 2013, 04:52 PM
Springfield EMP has the best combination of the attributes outlined by OP.

wmtrp
December 31, 2013, 12:02 AM
I say go to a local gun range that rents guns a try some of the 40 cal they have in their rental fleet and make up your own mind. After all you are the one going to use it, so make your decision on one that is comfortable to you.

Trunk Monkey
December 31, 2013, 11:42 AM
I shot one a few times, and while it's OK, it's a PITA to field strip. The grip is also wide, so one needs to have have big hands for them to be comfortable. They are also a bit bulky for concealed carry.

We have differing opinions on this but since they are opinions I see no point in arguing them.

JDR
December 31, 2013, 04:13 PM
I know a guy with a Dan Wesson RZ-10 Razorback with a .40 S&W drop in barrel, I don't know if it's the best .40 I ever shot, but it's probably the most accurate & definitely the coolest!

35Remfan
December 31, 2013, 05:22 PM
Smith & Wesson all steel/alloy in a 40 would be my choice but I am sure it limits the capacity some. I just don't like the recoil/snappyness of a 40 cal polymer. I would rather go to 45 or 9 but that is me.

slickab
December 31, 2013, 09:08 PM
Like my brother told me years ago...Buy a Glock...Some of the best advise I ever got!!!

gym
December 31, 2013, 09:37 PM
I dislike 40's, to me they were an abomination caliber. One that started out as something else and ended up someware in the middle of what it was meant to be, and what it ended up becoming. I have tried several including the Glock 23 and an EMP. I am able to get by with one, I can shoot anything if necessary, but do not shoot it nearly as well as a 9mm or a 45. After 44 years of carrying a self defense gun everyday, I realized that it wasn't me, it was the round. I shoot 357's better than 40's, but that is my opinion.
I would advise against that caliber and if really interested in it go for the 10mm. Which it was supposed to be.
Whenever you use higher pressures to obtain a harder hitting bullet, you end up with the herky jerky feel of the 40, or 357 sig round, instead of the smooth firing 9mm 38 cal, or 45. The following was googled at random while typing this response, it is typical of what one sees when researching the 40 caliber guns and ammo,
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/268843-40c-firing-issue.html. I stopped trying to figure it out, when it's easier to avoid it.
I am sure a dozen people will jump on me for saying this, but it's the way I find it to be.
Again I am not trying to convert anyone to my belief, only giving the op an honest answer, the way I feel about it. So the best one would be the 10mm. he did say go crazy.

zeke4351
January 2, 2014, 03:30 PM
No watered down loads in my 40. Underwood 155gr that chronies at 1302 fps from a 4" barrel. No 9mm can deal with that and even the 357sig fall behind when compared to the 147gr loads.

You are shooting some good stuff. I like all Underwood ammo. I saw a ballistic gel test on a 125 grain Buffalo Barnes all copper load in .40 that was very impressive. The load was rated standard pressure. The .357 Sig is my first CC choice with Underwood 125 grain that chronos over 1500 fps. I like the .40 with a load like you are shooting just as well. I think a lot of people don't understand that using ammo because it shoots soft lowers the performance greatly. The folks that swear a 9mm is equal to all other calibers I agree with for the most part but, it has to be loaded with + or + P+ for me to have that confidence. Happy New Year!!!

Pittdawg
March 11, 2014, 02:02 AM
All these Glock fans here. WOW, sorry but i dont like Glock just my preference. I carry a Ruger SR40c, its my carry gun of choice. Ive carried several and i love it. During the summer i tend to carry a 380 Keltec. I seem to like it for what it dose. Just remember no matter what you carry its not caliber or size its all about shot placement. Your no good it you cant use your tool correctly. Hope that helps.

armedaccountant
March 12, 2014, 02:10 PM
I daily carry a SR40C. I was actually looking for a compact .45ACP like the XDS to carry when I decided on the Ruger. I got as many current production compact handguns in my hands as I could and the SR40C just fit MY hands better than anything else. Plus I liked the trigger quite a bit. It is lower in price than most of it's competition and it has been absolutely reliable with no problems at all for me.

I do have skinny fingers and most of pinky finger fits on the standard grip. The most experienced shooter I personally know hates my SR40C because he has big hands and it doesn't fit him at all.

I carry it in a tuckable Theiss Holster. It took a little getting used to, but now I notice it more when it isn't on my hip than when it is. Kind of like once you get used to wearing a watch. I have an average physique, if I was larger could see the tuckable holster being uncomfortable.

Find what feels right to you, but definitely check one out.

H.m.B
March 12, 2014, 04:10 PM
The other is a XD-40 I bought new in 2007. It is an accurate reliable gun & works well.

Second the Springfield XD-40. Bought mine in 2009 and have put 1100 rounds through it with absolutely NO malfunctions whatsoever. It may not be the prettiest gal in town but she sure is sweet!

carbuncle
March 16, 2014, 10:37 PM
I own and endorse the Walther PPS for carry, the S&W 4006 for HD and range work and the Glock 23 for all of the above.

bshepherd
March 16, 2014, 11:35 PM
Like Tarosean said, the BHP, mine is 20 years old (and 20k rounds) and going strong. Very concealable.

JDR
March 17, 2014, 07:51 AM
Out of the several 40 S&W handguns that I own, my favorite for games, range use, and home defense, is my G20 10mm with a Lone Wolf 40 conversion barrel. The big frame makes it easier for me to get accurate shot placement. The gun is super reliable, and shoots right to point of aim with my 180gr/Power Pistol loads.

I tried out a similar setup and I agree 100%. I have both a Gen4 Glock 22 and a Gen4 Glock 21, and the .40 in a larger frame size like the Glock 20 just works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Nom de Forum
March 17, 2014, 11:23 AM
Looking for opinions on the best 40 Cal auto for SD--based on size--function--reliability--price--comfort in concealment etc. Go crazy.

Without knowing how and where on your body you intend to conceal the pistol and what your physique is, it is difficult to narrow down the choice of suggestions. Some people are quite comfortable and successful in CCing full-size .40s. Unless you want something smaller, I suggest in the following order: S&W M&P, Glock 22/23. I see little benefit of choosing a G27 over a G23 for most CCW scenarios. If you want something smaller you should consider the weight of the pistol as much as the bulk. Small but heavy pistols (G27 weight class) in pockets are a PITA and not a good choice. For pocket carry, I suggest something lighter than 20 ounces loaded weight.

Nom de Forum
March 17, 2014, 11:29 AM
I dislike 40's, to me they were an abomination caliber. One that started out as something else and ended up someware in the middle of what it was meant to be, and what it ended up becoming. I have tried several including the Glock 23 and an EMP. I am able to get by with one, I can shoot anything if necessary, but do not shoot it nearly as well as a 9mm or a 45. After 44 years of carrying a self defense gun everyday, I realized that it wasn't me, it was the round. I shoot 357's better than 40's, but that is my opinion.
I would advise against that caliber and if really interested in it go for the 10mm. Which it was supposed to be.
Whenever you use higher pressures to obtain a harder hitting bullet, you end up with the herky jerky feel of the 40, or 357 sig round, instead of the smooth firing 9mm 38 cal, or 45. The following was googled at random while typing this response, it is typical of what one sees when researching the 40 caliber guns and ammo,
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/268843-40c-firing-issue.html. I stopped trying to figure it out, when it's easier to avoid it.
I am sure a dozen people will jump on me for saying this, but it's the way I find it to be.
Again I am not trying to convert anyone to my belief, only giving the op an honest answer, the way I feel about it. So the best one would be the 10mm. he did say go crazy.

Gym,

If only you would try a Kel-tec in .40 S&W you would have the perfect combination to create your worst nightmare.:evil:

zerobarrier
March 17, 2014, 12:14 PM
I love my Beretta px4 storm subcompact in 40 s&w. It is the tamest 40 I have ever shot plus I really like the way it feels.

jjones45
March 17, 2014, 06:51 PM
This thread started months ago but here goes. My personal favorites in order of favorite to least favorite. Walther ppq m2, sig p229, glock 23

Delford
March 19, 2014, 12:12 AM
First .40 I ever shot was the G23. Very snappy and a little difficult to get back on target. It helped me decide on a .45 Ruger P345 I love. After a year or so I shot a G22 with some trigger work. It was a lot more manageable and therefore more accurate and fun to shoot. A year or so later and .40 is readily available and reasonably priced. 9mm is harder to find around here. I've entertained the idea of buying a .40 but having a .45 makes me want another more than a .40. I have been able to stock up on ammo so the .40 is no longer a want. .40 is a good round. .45 is better for me.

golden
March 19, 2014, 11:23 AM
GUTTERMAN,

I have used a number of .40 S&W pistols and prefer the 9m.m. because of the increased recoil.

I carry a .40 S&W H&K P2000. It is my issued gun. It is compact, similar in dimensions to the GLOCK 19. It is reliable, but CAN RUST in a humid environment. It came with a polymer shock absorber around the recoil spring which seems to work, as this gun does not kick nearly as hard as my GLOCK 22.
Downside is that the gun is expensive and you have to keep alert for the magazine base plate slipping out of position, if you have any of the older magazines.

Before that, I carried a BERETTA 96D Brigadier. Of all the .40 cals that I have shot, this is my favorite and the only one that I kept. It is also the largest. I like it for its accuracy, absolute reliability and really great trigger. The trigger was noticeably better than my SIG 229
Downside is that it is as large as a 1911 and about as heavy.

The SIG 229 is a very good gun, It was reliable and accurate, but I preferred a larger gun in .40 S&W and the BERETTA had the better trigger.

I had a GLOCK 22, but sold it. I just did not like the recoil from this light gun.

I have also shot the S&W M&P pistol in .40 cal and it is a very nice gun overall. Controllable and in the full size version, recoil is not too bad.

I have shot the BERETTA PX4 Storm in .40 caliber and liked it. Recoil was light for a polymer gun and it shot well for me.

Before you go to a compact .40 cal, I recommend you shot it at a range and see if this is a gun you want to put a 100 rounds through, at a time.
The BERETTA 96D that I carried, is the only one that I actually liked to shoot. My carry load was the 155 grain jhp. It is a stout load that packs a wallop on both ends.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "40 cal autos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!