Steel Shot

PDA

MI2600
December 18, 2013, 10:13 PM
I tried the archives, but didn't find what I wanted.

Anyway, with our last lead smelter closing, what does the lack of lead shot mean to those of us with older shotguns?

If you enjoyed reading about "Steel Shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
John3921
December 18, 2013, 10:32 PM
I don't think lead is going away anytime soon. The doe run plant was a smelter - i.e. they processed raw lead ore. They are not a producer of lead products.

from Sierra:

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/sierra-responds-how-will-the-closure-of-the-lead-smelting-plant-affect-sierra-bullets/

Doe run still has a secondary processing facility that has not been affected (i.e. recycling lead)

The Doe Run smelter was built in the 1890's and was so obsolete it could not be brought up to modern standards for ore processing. There are lots of smelters world wide that process primary ore.

This is a panic that doesn't need to happen.

rcmodel
December 18, 2013, 10:35 PM
IMO: Not much.

Lead shot will still be made by the companies that make shot.

It's just that lead ore will not be smelted into pure lead here anymore.

Lead will still be available from off-shore, where a lot of it comes from already.

That last remaining U.S. smelter was not supplying the entire USA with pure lead I betcha!

rc

MI2600
December 18, 2013, 10:43 PM
Good to know! Thanks. I'd hate to have my Win 12s turned into wallhangers.

PedalBiker
December 18, 2013, 11:07 PM
There are some non toxic alternatives to lead for older shotguns. Bismuth is one, I think.

ugaarguy
December 18, 2013, 11:19 PM
John3921 hit the nail on the head

Lead shot isn't going away, and this has been under discussion here since at least October - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=732805. Pay particular attention to the posts by hso, starting with post #7:

The reporting on this is "incomplete".

The facility Doe Run is shutting down is a primary smelter used for processing ore. Almost all the lead used in the US, and in firearms use, comes from secondary smelting of recycled lead. That's carried out in several places, including one owned by them. This company is closing the old facility that processed ore and still operates the secondary smelting operations. They're not the only secondary smelter in the U.S. so the hyperbole is misleading.

PabloJ
December 19, 2013, 08:12 AM
I tried the archives, but didn't find what I wanted.

Anyway, with our last lead smelter closing, what does the lack of lead shot mean to those of us with older shotguns?
Nightmare scenario would be buying Bismuth, Tungsten Matrix,....at $100 per pack of 25.

Virginian
December 19, 2013, 05:48 PM
I pay between $3.50 and $4.00 a shell and plan to continue. I like tungsten.

John3921
December 19, 2013, 07:58 PM
$100 a round in ammo for a round of trap or skeet would be painful.

I've used Hevi-shot for geese at $3.00 +/- a shot. Not worth it IMHO. 3-1/2" BBB kills em dead at under $1.00 ea.

If you have a gun that is not steel/tungsten-iron compatible bismuth, tungsten matrix, Nice shot is about it if non-tox is required.

MCgunner
December 20, 2013, 10:05 AM
Nightmare scenario would be buying Bismuth, Tungsten Matrix,....at $100 per pack of 25.

Amen, bro! I used to use Federal Tungsten/Iron on geese at a buck 30 a shot, but things got crazy and I bought a 10 gauge to toss steel Ts with. As well as that gun patterns, it kills better than BB Federal T/I anyway! SCREW the high priced stuff. I'll let the rich folk use it in their antique Parkers. Ain't no goose worth 4 bucks! I can handload the 10 for about .60 cents and it takes 'em down.

edfardos
December 20, 2013, 10:38 PM
California just made it illegal to hunt wildlife with lead. Also, car batteries are well over $100 now, even the cheap ones. Lead is obviously being manipulated somehow. Currencies perhaps? Epa?

Edfardos

Al Thompson
December 21, 2013, 06:53 AM
I'm going to call this one "asked and answered" via post #6. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Steel Shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!