marlin 336y as a deer gun

PDA

cammogunner
December 20, 2013, 04:55 PM
hi i am pretty new here and wanted your opinions of the marlin 336y as a deer gun for up to 175 yard shooting i was just kind of concerned about its 16.25 inch barrel and all thanks for your replies in advance:)

If you enjoyed reading about "marlin 336y as a deer gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jason_W
December 20, 2013, 05:55 PM
175 yards might be pushing it a little. It will depend on the load you are using.

There are some flex tip bullets made by Hornady that are decently aerodynamic. My most recent Hodgdon loading manual has a 140 grain Hornady flex tip bullet leaving the muzzle of a 24" barrel at 2436 f/s.

The sweet spot for the .30-30 is really 125ish yards and closer.

Missionary
December 20, 2013, 06:08 PM
Greetings
Yes you will loose some velocity. The 16.5 barrel can be as accurate as any length barrel. Using iron sights you do loose a bit of the sight radias so inherently that would depreciate an accurate hit at 175 yards. But put a receiver sight on it and you pick up another 8 inches so that evens things out a bit.
Now with a scope that is all mute. The scope cares not how long a barrel is. Some of the most accurate 30-30's on this planet only have 10 inch barrels. (Contenders)
As a reloader I would first find the most accurate load that carbine can digest. Then I would fire it a few hundred times at 100, 125, 150 and 175 yards until I could hit a 6 inch paper plate everytime sitting on my posterior and standing leaning against a pole or tree.
But if you practice and practice and shoot that carbine until you know where it needs to be pointed every time at any range out to 175 yards you can harvest deer.
So in the end the rifle is only as good as the man behind it. Take it out and practice a couple hundred rounds.. then you will know if you can harvest a deer sized critter at 175 yards.
Mike in Peru

gspn
December 20, 2013, 06:23 PM
The Missionary man just crushed it...great answer.

jmr40
December 20, 2013, 07:29 PM
I've found Hornady's listed speeds to be "optimistic" from any barrel length and darn few 30-30's have 24" barrels. From a more common 20" barrel they aren't much if any faster than any other loads. The more aerodynamic bullets help maintain some energy at longer ranges, but bullet drop is virtually the same as with conventional round nose bullets.

I own several 30-30's including a 16.25" Marlin Trapper. Using Winchester Power points I got 1970 fps with 170's and 2180 fps with 150's from the 16" gun. Compared to 2000 fps and 2200 from the 20" guns. Very little velocity loss. At least in my guns, all are different.

If you are good enough, 175 is doable. But about the limit.

cammogunner
December 21, 2013, 02:34 PM
Ok thanks yea I wish I reloaded but never got into it it's nice to know for sure what my limit is

sixgunner455
December 21, 2013, 11:38 PM
Get into reloading, you'll shoot more, and that's a good thing.

HoploDad
December 22, 2013, 12:35 AM
Missionary Mike spake with authority and wisdom, above.

Remember, it is more prestigious to take a close shot than to make a long shot. If you got in close range that often indicates that you are a better woodsman/woodsgal vs. the 175-250 yd. shooter.

35Remfan
December 29, 2013, 09:22 PM
Honestly you shouldn't have any problem at 175yards. I would sight in your rifle and check for drop at that distance but you should be fine. The 30-30 was made for shorter rifles. The original 94 carbine were not much longer (18 to 20inches). So you really not losing much velocity.

But sighting it in at that distance and being comfortable shooting that far will be whether you will be successful at that distance. Good Luck.

cammogunner
January 5, 2014, 06:32 PM
hopolo dad i totally agree and very much thank you guys for the advice

If you enjoyed reading about "marlin 336y as a deer gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!