How many knives do you carry?

PDA

ChaoSS
December 20, 2013, 06:33 PM
Talking EDC here, not hunting or camping or anything.

I've always carried a folder clipped to my pocket. Always. More recently, I've started carrying a fixed blade on my belt. I ride a motorcycle to work, and I wear a pair of armored overpants over my regular pants, so i like to have a knife that I can access easily without removing a pair of pants, just in case of emergency. I don't tend to use that knife much, it's a bigger blade, takes more work to sharpen it, so i usually only use it when for some reason I've forgotten my folder.

So, I've been thinking about putting a small SAK on my keychain. There are times when the small blade would be useful, but more the other stuff on the knife. I've also been thinking about getting a leatherman style knife. I'm not so sure I need two multi tool knives though. I also like my folder, because it's easy to use, a leatherman would take a little extra to open it up, it's a little more awkard in the hand, etc.

I was thinking maybe I should switch to a Mora Knife for my fixed blade on my belt. Smaller, easier to sharpen, I could switch to using it for the every day cutting stuff. Then add a leatherman, or similar, for the utility, and some other form of tiny bladed knife on the keychain, for when the Mora is too much knife.

Maybe i'm going a little overboard with so many knives, but everything has a purpose... Or maybe I just like knives. :evil:

Anyway, how many of you carry multiple knives, especially more than two?

If you enjoyed reading about "How many knives do you carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ahtoxa
December 20, 2013, 06:48 PM
I've never had a need to carry more than 1. The only folding knife I own is the Buck 110, which is the knife that I EDC at all times.

I've got a Mora along with a number of others, but they are usually far less practical to carry than the Buck 110.

Sam Cade
December 20, 2013, 07:30 PM
I usually carry a small fixed blade neck knife and a 3-9" fixed blade. The fixed blades are subject to wide variance depending on whim and circumstances. I very rarely carry a folder on my person these days.

I carried a Neck Angel (which is a bit large for a neck knife I've decided) and a Greco bowie today.

alsask
December 20, 2013, 07:40 PM
90% of the time I have a Buck folder on my belt. I quit carring a knife in my pocket about ten years ago.

hso
December 20, 2013, 08:02 PM
Usually 1, but I have carried as many as 3 when counting neckers, multitools, etc.

mole
December 20, 2013, 08:06 PM
I've always carried just one ~3 inch pocket knife. A few years ago I started carrying a folding utility knife as well. The folding utility now does about 95 percent of my cutting needs with the pocket knife being only used for food. I'm happy with that combination.

I keep a mora and a small but complete tool box in the cars. If I'm going somewhere not in my car I carry a leatherman blast.

MCgunner
December 20, 2013, 08:28 PM
I bought a new buck I like, carry it around here. It's a pocket folder, but a good blade and was only 17 bucks at Academy. I carried 110s for years, but they sure are heavy when you're packin' other iron of the shooting variety. I am NEVER without a handgun, usually 2, sometimes 3, EVER, unless on rare occasion I have to go in a federal building and then, I can't carry a knife, either.

The one knife that's always on me is my old Buck multi-tool. I also just bought a box cutter for work, works better for cutting boxes, sorta why they call it a box cutter, I reckon. :D

Nighteyes
December 20, 2013, 08:31 PM
These days, when I carry a knife, its an unserrated Kershaw Tremor 1950 assisted-opener in an old unmarked nylon horizontal belt pouch, situated over my right hip pocket. I'm left-handed, and I've carried my knives on my weak side as far back as I can remember.

The pouch has a velcro fastener that's seen some better days. So, for additional security I slipped a 1-inch band cut from the inner tube of a cruiser bicycle tire around the pouch. It secures and protects the edge of the flap and doesn't slow me down when I'm drawing the knife, but it can be a bit of a pain when I'm returning it.

Though I'm not trying to conceal the knife, I think most folks either don't see it at all or mistake it for something else.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/danielnighteyes/Glenns%20Knives/kershawtremor1950_zps517273bc.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/danielnighteyes/media/Glenns%20Knives/kershawtremor1950_zps517273bc.jpg.html)

MCgunner
December 20, 2013, 08:32 PM
Well, so I guess I should answer the question....1 and sometimes 2. :D

Fred Fuller
December 20, 2013, 08:50 PM
Two folders, one clipped in each side pocket, since NC generally frowns on carrying fixed blades. Right now, left side is a utility knife that doubles as a defensive blade if needed, a Spyderco Tenacious. Right side is a get off me blade that doubles as a utility knife, a Spyderco Salt Tasman (plain edge).

ChaoSS
December 20, 2013, 08:53 PM
I usually carry a small fixed blade neck knife and a 3-9" fixed blade. The fixed blades are subject to wide variance depending on whim and circumstances. I very rarely carry a folder on my person these days.

I carried a Neck Angel (which is a bit large for a neck knife I've decided) and a Greco bowie today.

I've never considered a neck knife, really. Seems like I'd want to keep it concealed, as it would be more noticeable and more subject to idiots making remarks than a belt knife, and concealed would be illegal here.

rcmodel
December 21, 2013, 12:19 AM
Two.

A small SAK in my pocket, mostly for the folding tools, tweezers & toothpick.
And some degree of 4" Benchmade, or smaller Kershaw clipped in my right front pocket.

If that ain't enough.

Dang Nab It!
They got me!!!!

rc

olderguns
December 21, 2013, 05:04 AM
I always have at least two right now it,s a spyderco matriarch fully serrated, and either one of my Buck110 auto-conversions or a J. Nielsen custom fixed blade in a horizontal belt sheath.
FWIW I also carry three gun most days a G29 IWB , a S&W442 front pocket, and a NAA mini 22mag in a custom leather neck holster, ( all my jeans and shorts are Cargo style so plenty of pockets).

308win
December 21, 2013, 09:17 AM
Usually an Opinel #8, and a small SAK, either the Classic or the Rambler.

lemaymiami
December 21, 2013, 09:50 AM
I never carry more than one knife on my person -mostly a Benchmade Ascent (full sized, long discontinued). For social occasions (wearing shoes and dressed significantly better than my usual fishing guide's apparel...) it's an Al Mar Eagle with a very slim profile.

At work on my skiff I keep four or five knives in one configuration or other.... while in my tow vehicle I keep two big Forschners, a 10" breaking blade and a 12" cimeter -they only get used for large fish (grouper, cobia and such where the ability to break bone is required).

jdh
December 21, 2013, 12:10 PM
At a minimum I have my good knife, normally a Buck 110, and an inexpensive folder for dirty jobs or when some wants to borrow one. Each vehicle key ring has a small fixed neck knife attached Just because.

ChaoSS
December 21, 2013, 12:19 PM
I'm starting to think that a buck 110 is a popular knife around here.

splattergun
December 21, 2013, 12:37 PM
Not allowed to have a knife at work, but I always have a small folding Buck 705 "edge tool" in my pocket anyway. Will add my Leatherman to the belt when tinkering around the house, go shooting or bird hunting. Game hunting adds my Schrade H-15 or K-bar to the belt. Whenever I'm off a paved road with my basic survival pack, it too has at least one more, sometimes 2 more folding blades.

So, always 1, sometimes as much as 4 knives on me.

ivankerley
December 21, 2013, 12:37 PM
pretty much the same pair ive carried since 2008, my buck alpha dorado and my yeller case medium CV stockman, stockman gets used the most though
Gene
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/IVAN_666_evil/Mobile%20Uploads/f4abb7cf-1c35-4830-b32b-87a1df036cc6_zps0a79a581.jpg

Coyote3855
December 21, 2013, 12:47 PM
I carry a Spyderco Endura clipped inside the waistband over my right front pocket where my Kahr .380 lives. I have a SAK Classic on a key ring that includes a peanut lighter, gerber fingernail clipper, P38 can opener, whistle, and Proton mini flashlight. The blade on the SAK is modified to a very sharp point for removal of the inevitable slivers/stickers I get from firewood, hay bales, tool handles, etc. I also pocket carry Leatherman Juice S2. I sometimes add a Buck 102 or 107 depending what's on the agenda for the day, or sometimes just because I want to carry a fixed blade. So 2 or 3 or 4 depending on the day and whether or not you count the Leatherman.

ms6852
December 21, 2013, 01:00 PM
All of them NINJA style. Actually a buck knife on the belt, not shown.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv157/ms6852/DSC_0956.jpg (http://s679.photobucket.com/user/ms6852/media/DSC_0956.jpg.html)

Doug S
December 21, 2013, 01:59 PM
Spyderco clipped to pocket for those rare times when I need a quick one-handed opening knife, and

a SAK (Deluxe Tinker) for my combined edc knife and multitool needs.

With that said, I love the Buck 110:)

Bobson
December 21, 2013, 02:09 PM
Just a Spyderco Delica. It's done everything I've needed a knife to do for the last year or so.

MutinousDoug
December 21, 2013, 02:44 PM
A SAK Classic in my watch pocket for tightening the little screws on my glasses, digging splinters or trimming my fingernails then either a Case CV mini Half Trapper or Swayback Jack on my belt.
The Classic gets by far the most work and I've run through 3-4 of them in the last 20 years or so.

Noah
December 21, 2013, 05:56 PM
A Spyderco Endura in my right front that does everything you can imagine, cutting boxes and tape, apples, letters, coupons, zip ties, anything and everything. And it doubles as a defensive tool as back up to OC spray.

I also always carry a Leatherman Juice S2 in the front right, I mostly use the can opener, pliars, and screwdriver. Almost all cutting is done by the Endura though, fast and I just love the knife.

So 2 for me, an all purpose modern folder and a small multitool. I've carried SAKs and Leathermans in the past, I love the Juice as a pocketable compromise between the 2.

I'd definitely carry a fixed blade or 2 if it was more doable under Ohio law.

herrwalther
December 21, 2013, 06:10 PM
For daily carry, I technically carry 4 knives. A Benchmade Adamas clipped to my front right pocket. My Leatherman Wave has a serrated blade and a plain edge. I carry a card logic multi tool that has a 2" knife the thickness of a credit card.

I consider I only carry one knife, the Adamas, as it is the knife I use for all my typical daily tasks. The card logic has a few practical tools like toothpick, tweezers, and magnifying glass that are more useful than the knife. And the Leatherman has screwdriver bits more useful than the knife.

Esoxchaser
December 21, 2013, 06:26 PM
One EDC. Two hunting. Lately my EDC at work has been bigger than at any time the past few decades. Easier on the old hands and easier to reach above my head with. Great knife, great price. CRKT M16-14T.

Deltaboy
December 21, 2013, 08:31 PM
A full sized lockback.
A 3 blade Stockman or camper knife.
A small lockback in my cell phone case.

Shanghai McCoy
December 22, 2013, 10:05 PM
EDC is a SAK since 1984, Tinker as I recall. Bought it in Bermuda because it has a cork screw which got me invited to a few parties on the research ship that I worked on since the grad students had wine but no cork screws.;)
Nowadays a lock blade is also with me clipped in the back pocket.

SleazyRider
December 22, 2013, 10:52 PM
If you don't mind my asking, Sam, which neck knife do you carry or recommend?

whughett
December 22, 2013, 11:31 PM
Well just to stir the pot a bit I am assuming most of these posts are people backing up their CCW. With that in mind I just carry a little old pen knife for sharping pencils, cleaning my nails or cutting string. There is a lock back with a sereated edge clipped to the cars visor and a tool kit in a GI mechs bag in the back.:what:

Sam Cade
December 22, 2013, 11:43 PM
I've been rotating through a bunch of neck knives the last year but I keep going back to the Shirley-Owens Daily Kiri.

They pack a tremendous amount of utility in to the smallest possible package.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188902&stc=1&d=1379085429

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188909&stc=1&d=1379091951

SR article:
http://www.shootingreviews.com/the-biggest-little-knife-daily-kiri-long-term-review/

Thread:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=728588&highlight=kiri

For production knives I really like the CRKT Folts neckers, the SPEW and the Minimalist(s). They don't have the utility or quality of materials that the Shirley-Owens does but they are more than decent for the money. The SPEW is very stabby and thin so it is especially light duty.

Knives for scale, SPEW, Minimalist (wharnie), Timberline/Swissbianco Neck Angel, Shirley-Owens Super dooper Daily Kiri.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=192698&stc=1&d=1387769900

The Neck Angel is very high on the neat factor. 440C laminated with G10 with an asymmetrical flat/sabre grind. The factory sheath for it sucks.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=192699&stc=1&d=1387769900

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=192700&stc=1&d=1387770162

Manny
December 23, 2013, 12:05 AM
Two.

A small SAK in my pocket, mostly for the folding tools, tweezers & toothpick.
And some degree of 4" Benchmade, or smaller Kershaw clipped in my right front pocket.

If that ain't enough.

Dang Nab It!
They got me!!!!

rc
This..... a bitty Victorinox SAK in my pocket for toothpick, tweezers & scissors mostly, and a Benchmade 555 mini-grip. Haven't found need for anymore.

krupparms
December 23, 2013, 12:21 AM
I use 3 for EDC. My pocket knife is a SCHRADE small Cliff Hanger. I carry a old nite eyes knife holster with 2 CRKT KNIVES. 1st. a M16-14Z. It is a big knife that can handle alot! For my 2nd knife I carry a M16-13LE. It is a mid size blade about like a good steak knife. Sometimes I will switch out & carry a CRKT M21 as my big blade . These can all fit in a pocket or beltpouch. . If I need something bigger I go with a modern K-BAR or a SCHRADE Bowie. These knives are big & only used for belt carry. I have a few Cold Steel knives that I like very well. They can be costly but I have found them to be well worth the money.

newfalguy101
December 23, 2013, 12:22 AM
Typically just one, unless at a gunshow and have picked up one or more additionals.

Last show I ended up with 3 in my pocket

mic214
December 23, 2013, 01:02 AM
On my person, I carry two, a Benchmade 710 and a Leatherman "Micra":

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Knives/DSCN0216_edited.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/mic214/media/Knives/DSCN0216_edited.jpg.html)

In my gear bag, I carry a Gerber Muti-tool:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Knives/Gerber1.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/mic214/media/Knives/Gerber1.jpg.html)

and a Swiss Champ (It is the one at the top of the photo):

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Knives/SwissArmy.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/mic214/media/Knives/SwissArmy.jpg.html)

SleazyRider
December 23, 2013, 05:44 AM
Wow! Thanks, Sam!

bikerdoc
December 23, 2013, 08:41 AM
Plus one to the Owen- Shirley Kiri, great knife!

Also the THR Anniversary knife is a fantastic small fixed blade with great value and utility.

Those 2 plus a SAK and a Spyderco Endura or Native fit all my needs.

Hanshi
December 23, 2013, 06:08 PM
Always at least two plus a cane.

jmorris
December 23, 2013, 06:34 PM
1 folder to cut food, more often than not hotdogs for my 2 year old. Another folder in right pocket for darn near everything and a leatherman wave to save me trips to get the right tool.

Deep Fried
December 23, 2013, 09:12 PM
Usually 2, any combo of a 3-5" fixed blade, plier tool or a big folder.

Shuler13
December 23, 2013, 10:40 PM

One of many (spyderco, kershaw, benchmade, etc) in my right pocket. Gerber Dime on my keychain.

Okiegunner
December 23, 2013, 11:03 PM
Usually only carry one at a time. Here lately it has been a ZT 561. Sometimes carry an Endura. Though to be honest (the knife snobs will probably laugh) I do really like the SOG Vulcan.

olderguns
December 24, 2013, 10:13 AM
I love the Sog Vulcan ,in fact I have two just don,t carry them much for some reason, Very strong Robust Knife Plus I Really like VG10 steel.

ChaoSS
December 24, 2013, 10:48 AM
Usually only carry one at a time. Here lately it has been a ZT 561. Sometimes carry an Endura. Though to be honest (the knife snobs will probably laugh) I do really like the SOG Vulcan.
You want something to make the knife snobs curl up in horror, I lose pocket knives, so I've taken to carrying a 4 dollar folder from harbor freight.

Zeke/PA
December 24, 2013, 10:53 AM
I use a CRKT clip type for a money clip. Also it's an Opinel #12 for outdoor work or an Opinel # 10 in a flashlight holder for daily use. I like an old Schrade Barlow or a Slimline Trapper in my "go to meetin' " pants. The possibilities are endless but a knife or two is on my person.

AJumbo
December 24, 2013, 11:32 AM
For EDC I usually carry just one, a Benchmade Ascent that has served me well for years; sometimes I substitute a Byrd with a 2" blade (model name escapes me right now.) I had a Spyderco Endura 4 in the rotation, but it's been shipped off to the factory for some work on the clip.

When out in the desert, I'll take my EDC and a Gerber Multi-Plier. Hunting, I carry no less than three, mostly because once I have an animal down, I'd rather field dress the critter than fool around with sharpening knives. Also, certain knives do certain tasks better than others. The one knife that always goes hunting with me is a Russell Green River buffalo skinner, and it's the largest knife I carry. The rest have blades no longer than 4".

At work, there's a DeWalt utility knife in my nailbags. It's the best utility knife I've found, ever. Heavy, strong, carries 5 spare blades, and a tool-free blade change system that doesn't turn loose of the blade when cutting tough, grabby materials. It's worthy of EDC, with an appropriate sheath. There's one in my bug-out bag, too.

Wolfebyte
December 24, 2013, 11:02 PM
Reading the responses.. would it be a bad thing to say.. 4? maybe 5?

Case Humpback whittler (small jobs)
Benchmade Barrage (larger jobs)
Owens 3 finger knife (just cause it's cool)
always my Leatherman.. (everything else)

Ron James
December 25, 2013, 12:02 AM
Almost always two, some times three. A pocket clip, usually a Cold steel medium voyager, a Double trouble Kershaw and a Leatherman squirt in my watch pocket. However for church I carry a stag AG Russell's Barlow. and for barbeques I carry a Stag handled Buck 110. Isn't life fun, Other than the Buck 110, where were all these wonderful knifes when I was all over the world in the Army:)

Deltaboy
December 26, 2013, 06:10 PM
Cool primer on neck knives .

clutch
December 26, 2013, 06:24 PM
A basic Swiss army knife in my pocket and a Gerber Curve on the key ring.

Hunting, I take a Shrade lockback LB7 and a Shrade Old Timer fixed blade sheath knife along with my EDCs. Also a diamond hone.

vkeith
December 27, 2013, 03:34 AM
I have carried a Gerber LST and a Victorinox Classic SD for the past 20 years, and between them at two ounces combined weight, they cover just about anything I need from a knife/utensil.

Voodoochile
December 27, 2013, 12:39 PM
I normally carry a Bench Made folder of some sort depending on the day or where I'm going then I also carry my lil neck knife for that just in case situation.

skoro
December 28, 2013, 06:28 PM
For years I've had a small SAK on my keychain and just use the heck of that little thing. I'm thinking about carrying a Buck model 55 in addition, for those times when a larger blade would come in handy.

TimboKhan
December 30, 2013, 02:21 AM
I have started carrying two. Most often for work its a spyderco kiwi and more and more often, a leek. That's not the only pair I carry, but it the most often used pairing. Away from work, either my blur or one of my Spyderco's and either my kiwi or a Buck canoe. I also like mini trappers.

74sharps
January 2, 2014, 12:30 PM
I carry two most of the time. One is a Swiss Army knife I have carried almost every day since 1985. The other is a KA-BAR D2. The Swiss is for whatever as it has almost every tool available on one at the time. The D2 is for either cutting baling twine from square hay bales or when I need a good steak knife (Although, it does turn heads when I cut food with it in some eating establishments).

Darkbob
January 2, 2014, 12:48 PM
I generally carry two. Recently, I've been carrying a Leek clipped into my front right pocket and a Leatherman Skeletool clipped into my left front pocket.

Madcap_Magician
January 2, 2014, 03:23 PM
I usually have a waved Spyderco Delica which gets the most use. I have a Leatherman Blast in a shoulder bag that goes most everywhere with me, along with an Emerson La Griffe as an emergency friend.

Sometimes the Delica is swapped out for a Canal Street Cannitler if it's a dressier occasion.

So at least one and up to three knives at any time. The Leatherman hardly counts, as it is mostly there for the screwdrivers.

jimsouth
January 4, 2014, 02:46 PM
Talking EDC here, not hunting or camping or anything.

I've always carried a folder clipped to my pocket. Always. More recently, I've started carrying a fixed blade on my belt. I ride a motorcycle to work, and I wear a pair of armored overpants over my regular pants, so i like to have a knife that I can access easily without removing a pair of pants, just in case of emergency. I don't tend to use that knife much, it's a bigger blade, takes more work to sharpen it, so i usually only use it when for some reason I've forgotten my folder.

So, I've been thinking about putting a small SAK on my keychain. There are times when the small blade would be useful, but more the other stuff on the knife. I've also been thinking about getting a leatherman style knife. I'm not so sure I need two multi tool knives though. I also like my folder, because it's easy to use, a leatherman would take a little extra to open it up, it's a little more awkard in the hand, etc.

I was thinking maybe I should switch to a Mora Knife for my fixed blade on my belt. Smaller, easier to sharpen, I could switch to using it for the every day cutting stuff. Then add a leatherman, or similar, for the utility, and some other form of tiny bladed knife on the keychain, for when the Mora is too much knife.

Maybe i'm going a little overboard with so many knives, but everything has a purpose... Or maybe I just like knives. :evil:

Anyway, how many of you carry multiple knives, especially more than two?
I have a little Hubertus lever lock. Well made - sharp.

jimsouth
January 4, 2014, 02:49 PM
There are many great knife makers out there - this guy has got to be in the top 10. Griffin Custom Knives :: Precision Folders and Automatics

http://www.griffinknives.com

Folders and autos by Rendon Griffin. Photo galleries of knife designs available for custom order.

Sol
January 4, 2014, 03:54 PM
Have several but as of late I have been using the CRKT Wrinkle.

JohnKSa
January 4, 2014, 04:38 PM
I have a Swisstech Utilikey (which has a small blade) on my keyring and always have a mini-SAK in my pocket--primarily for the tweezers and scissors. Then whatever else I happen to happen to have clipped to a pocket or waistband.I've also been thinking about getting a leatherman style knife.I used to carry a multi-tool, but I found that I was packing around a substantial hunk of metal with a lot of functions when really all I needed 99% of the time was a screwdriver (since I always carry a knife anyway).

So I ditched the multi-tool and now I carry a ScrewZall by Swisstech. It fits on my keychain and has two flat bits (both hollow ground) and two phillips bits. The folding design allows surprisingly good leverage and it's very compact.

ArfinGreebly
January 6, 2014, 01:59 AM
Although I have answered this question here on a number of occasions, it's good to revisit.

As I sit here, I believe I'm carrying more than five. Let me check.

1. Right front pocket -- Buck Vantage (the Avid variation).
2. Right thigh pocket -- (in my glove pouch)
--- a) EKA/Wenger SAK
--- b) Leatherman Style
3. Left thigh pocket -- Buck 301 Stockman
4. Right belt -- Leatherman Wave
5. Left belt -- EKA Swede 92 folder (full-sized outdoor/hunter)
6. Right jacket pocket -- Case Sod Buster Jr (CV steel)
7. Left jacket pocket -- Swiss Tech key-knife, also their micro multi-tool
8. On my messenger bag -- Buck Flashpoint LE (outdoor/sport folder)

. . . Okay, yes, more than five.

If you dig a little, you can find my earlier descriptions and explanations.

Yes, I carried one SAK-style folder for 20 years. Yes, I carried a small single blade folder for another 20 years. I was 52 or 53 when I finally broke the "only one knife" pattern and began carrying a second, and then later, a third, and so on.

My testing and experiments with different kinds of knives eventually became a habit, and my average daily carry now never seems to be less than four, and often hits seven or so. It just depends on what's new, what I'm doing, or my whim du jour.

SleazyRider
January 6, 2014, 10:50 AM
Guess you don't walk through a lot of metal detectors. :)

ArfinGreebly
January 6, 2014, 06:28 PM
Indeed.

Oh, and when I got dressed this morning, I realized I had left one out.

I forgot I was carrying a Buck 301 Stockman in my left thigh pocket.

I've amended the list above to reflect that.

Now, given that not all of these knives are "real knife" gadgets, like the Swiss Tech key-knife and the Leatherman Style (unless I'm being scanned by TSA, of course), we could leave these out of the knife count and still have six.

However, occasionally, like when I dress for a job interview or something similar, I may deliberately strip myself down to a "light carry" load-out. When I do that, I count everything, no matter how small or "toy gadget" it might seem. When I went in for my last job interview, I was only carrying a County Comm Embassy Pen. No knives. Had to fly in and out. I feel positively naked when I fly.

If I'm not flying for an interview, then I opt for deliberately "gentleman's cutlery" knives. Like a Gerber Silver Knight, a Paul Presto by Lone Wolf, or maybe a Case 'John Deere' Medium Stockman. And then, when I'm done being a gentleman, I retrieve my real load-out from the truck.

Deltaboy
January 7, 2014, 12:07 AM
Great Thread.

crazyjennyblack
January 7, 2014, 01:19 AM
Lets see....

1. Urban Pal push dagger in right boot (mostly in case I get hung up while seated in a car)
2. CRKT Leek in my right hip pocket (my letter opener/fingernail cleaner / apple peeler)
3. Mini folder clipped to left bra strap (self defense or just in case)
4. Leatherman multi tool in my back pocket (or in my purse if I'm dressing up)
5. If I'm doing outdoor work, a fixed blade SOG Sealpup on my hip.

308win
January 7, 2014, 09:27 AM
I added a Kershaw Leek Damascus that I received for Christmas so I am now up to three (not counting the nail clippers).

kbbailey
January 7, 2014, 10:46 PM
DeWalt utility knife in my nailbags. It's the best utility knife I've found
+1 The DeWalt is a great knife.
I have several knives that I really like to carry.
SAK; Kershaw 'Needs Work'; Kershaw Leek; Leatherman Skeletool.
Since I am cursed with the ability to fix things, and also being a farmer...I also carry some form of pliers:
Leatherman Supertool; Gerber Diesel; Leatherman Skeletool; or my own custom 8" pliers.
I tend to spend too much time at my knife drawer each morning trying to choose what to carry.
....sounds pretty stoopid don't it??

Hometeached1
January 8, 2014, 12:12 PM
A CRKT M16-13Z and a Spiderco Native.

Zeeemu
January 8, 2014, 01:01 PM
"Anyway, how many of you carry multiple knives, especially more than two?"

A fixed blade, hatchet and machete in the car, two folders always within reach plus a fixed blade when hiking in the boonies. So far that's been sufficient for my needs. I never go anywhere without them. :)

CA Raider
January 8, 2014, 02:57 PM
Just one.
If i have to invade N. korea, i will carry more. :-)

CA R

mdauben
January 8, 2014, 06:03 PM
One.

I always carry a folder in my pants pocket. It may be a modern one-hand opener with pocket clip. It may be a classic slip joint sitting in the bottom of my pocket.

I have a mini-multi-tool that includes a small knife on the keys for my motorcycle but not on my regular car keys. I travel a fair amound for work and don't want to have to remember to remove the knife from my keys when I'm flying. Its hard enough to remember to pack my pocket knife in my checked luggage! ;)

I'll carry 2-3 knives with me in outdoor setttings (pocket folder and midsize fixed blade, plus maybe a large fixed blade), but not just the one for EDC.

ahtoxa
January 13, 2014, 06:24 PM
Just picked this up as my new EDC.

Ontario RAT-1.

http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/images/detailed/7/Ontario-RAT-1-Knife-Coyote.jpg

Valkman
January 13, 2014, 10:33 PM
Usually just one. Sometimes in addition to the folder I'll add a SAK.

towerC
January 16, 2014, 11:20 PM
Technically 3. My Spyderco Endura a SOG multi tool and my Milwaukee folding razor knife. Im a tower technician so I use my spyderco for just general stuff. The razor knife for zip ties weatherproofing and various stuff inside the comm shelter. The sog tool rarely has the knife deployed.

mac66
January 17, 2014, 03:23 PM
I am resisting the urge to go big and claim to carry 10 or 12 knives in every pocket, strapped to my ankles and duct taped to my arm pits. :rolleyes:

In reality I carry a Leatherman Clipit multi-tool or a SAK. I do have one of those Utilikey things on my car keys.

I did carry a CRKT MK5 on a chain around my neck for about a year. It was really handy. I don't remember why I don't carry it anymore. :uhoh:

Corpral_Agarn
January 17, 2014, 03:28 PM
Typically I have 3 on me.

Benchmade 710 inside the waistband at 12:30 or so.
laguiole in front pants pocket.
Opinel in jacket pocket.

bikerdoc
January 18, 2014, 11:21 AM
I tend to spend too much time at my knife drawer each morning trying to choose what to carry.
....sounds pretty stoopid don't it??

Nope, I do that also.

22-rimfire
January 18, 2014, 12:24 PM
If I am thinking about "knife", I will make a decision based on the days activites. But if I am not thinking about it, I will mostly only have a large 111mm Vic SAK in my pocket along with a small SAK attached to a key chain. The key chain knife is there if for some reason I forget the larger SAK.

AKElroy
January 18, 2014, 12:43 PM
For EDC, I usually just have a Case Stockman. If I am unable to carry a gun, like at sporting event, I carry a SOG Vulcan Tanto.

When hunting, I wear a Leatherman Waive, Buck 110, and Gerber Skinner with Gut Hook. The Waive is for general duty. I've had to re-wire my Suzuki Samurai 3 times from the battery bouncing around under the hood and pulling wires loose.

The others, including the stockman, are used every time I field dress deer or pigs.

BLB68
January 21, 2014, 12:28 AM
Usually two, a Victorinox Manager on my keychain, and either a Byrd Flight or Buck Vantage in my pocket. Sometimes I'll toss in a larger SAK or a Leatherman if I think I may need the tools.

stevek
January 21, 2014, 06:57 PM
Generally two at all times. A small SAK in the right front pocket, and a 3-4" folder clipped to my left front pocket. The folder for the last week or so has been an Emerson CQC-7V drilled and tapped at the Emerson shop for lefty carry. There is also a multitool in each vehicle, and bad.

mugsie
January 21, 2014, 08:08 PM
Kershaw Piston every day. Amazingly sharp and really holds an edge. Also has a great saying written on the blade; "Made in USA" gotta love it.

Carl Levitian
January 23, 2014, 03:04 PM
Usually one or two of the ones here. They are my favorite edc pocket knives. From left, a Victorinox bantam, GEC Number 15, Case peanut with Devon Thonas damascus blades, and a Sardinian resolza made by S. Osai and son's.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2864/9843302056_350b2c1ed8_c.jpg

9mmforMe
January 28, 2014, 10:37 PM
Day to day, 2. One is a 3.5in. folding buck with a clip for the pocket and the other is a multifunction mini Swiss army knife which is so old that the scales have come off on both sides...still works fine though. I carry this on my keychain.

Brian Williams
January 29, 2014, 11:04 AM
2, both Cases
1 a Stainless pen with a small spear point opposite a nail file
2 a black SS slim line trapper

4kbeard
February 5, 2014, 02:28 PM
After spending about a decade behind the counter of a knife shop, I have developed the habit of carrying multiple knives of various sizes. On average I have 4 knives, 2 fixed blades and two folders. My fixed blades are usually a 3-3.5 inch clip or drop point from Anza Knives that I use for food, apples and such, and a 2.5 inch skinner from Cris Reeve for when I need something stout and sharp. My folders are usually a Case XX peanut that I use in mixed company, it looks cute and non threatening, and a Kershaw #1430 for everything else.

kbbailey
February 6, 2014, 09:20 AM
I have started carrying a kershaw leek clipped iwb between a belt loop and the leather tag on my jeans. This in addition to a sak or skeletool in my pocket.

ChaoSS
February 6, 2014, 09:43 AM
I have started carrying a kershaw leek clipped iwb between a belt loop and the leather tag on my jeans. This in addition to a sak or skeletool in my pocket.
I've always thought carrying a knife IWB would be rather uncomfortable. Maybe I'm still just too fat though.

biohazurd
February 12, 2014, 02:43 AM
I EDC 2 or three every day. One for stricty defense.(Usually a fix blade). One locking folder for utility uses and secondary defense and one non locking blade strictly for utility( For me it is one of the many case knives.) Just how I do things.

kbbailey
February 16, 2014, 07:51 PM
I've always thought carrying a knife IWB would be rather uncomfortable.

I have been carrying like this for a week or two and it is comfortable, but I think that a thin knife is the key to success.

DNS
February 16, 2014, 08:17 PM
Two.

I rotate through my collection of pens, peanuts and saks almost daily. The other is a Spyderco Tenacious and occasionally a Kershaw Chill if its a dressy occasion.

My former edc was an Opinel 12 but its now on full time kitchen duty per the boss. I still get visitation rights though.;)

kennedy
February 16, 2014, 11:58 PM
I carry three- first a buck 501 I have had for 38 years for sentimental reasons, it was a gift for my 21 birthday, a kershaw folder for abusive work, and now a left handed protech auto for defense(now legal in Indiana)

HellTrain
February 17, 2014, 12:24 AM
I carry my kershaw chive everyday, and on the weekends I put a old timer sharpfinger on my belt.

krupparms
February 24, 2014, 02:06 PM
I carry a Nite -Eze pouch that has a Swiss-tec micro pliers & a micro screwdriver. As they sit in the bottom there is room for 2 folders & a round hone. The 2 folders are from CRKT. The 1st.is a M16-13LE model. The 2nd. varies, most often it is a M16 -14Z . The M16-13LE is about the size of a steak knife. The M16 -14 is a larger tanto point blade . Often I will switch out the 14Z with a M21-04G. It has a spear point & I am able to throw it to about 22-24 feet. It comes in handy for throwing but is only for emergency throwing. Use a knife made for that if you really need a throwing knife. Folders are not strong enough for repeated throwing. This works out to a load that is not any more than a pouch with a Leather man & a buck 110 or a sheath knife . It is compact and will hold more. But I try to keep the wight down. This is for EDC. NOT CHURCH OR A OFFICE. For that I slip the M16-13LE in my pocket &a CRKT TIGHE TAC in my pocket. Don't notice them at all. CRKT has climbed to the top of the knife world making great knives at affordable prices. Everything form milspec. to EDC.;)

tiamat
February 26, 2014, 12:37 PM
For a while I was carrying two - either a Spyderco Dragonfly or Kershaw Leek clipped inside the right front pocket for general everyday use with either a Benchmade 722S or a Benchmade mini-Barrage clipped inside the left rear pocket for defensive purposes (I'm right-handed).
After a while, that seemed to be redundant, so I stopped carrying in the right front pocket and have pretty much settled on the mini-Barrage in the left rear pocket only.

ColdDeadHand
March 5, 2014, 05:49 PM
Recon 1 in front right pocket, Cold Steel AK-47 on back left pocket.

351 WINCHESTER
March 5, 2014, 06:53 PM
I used to carry 2 until a security guard at the federal bldg. stole them.

downunderhunter
March 5, 2014, 07:00 PM
2 - small custom fixed blade in a kydex sheath (gets swapped for a folder sometimes) and the blade on my leatherman is used as a beater. In my bag or truck are usually more.

Rusty Luck
March 6, 2014, 10:48 AM
3 or so. I have an SOG "key knife" on my key chain, a Gerber folder IWB and 1 of 15 or so 3in folders in my right pocket. Some days I also have a Hen and rooster fixed blade on my left hip.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many knives do you carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!