My 1911 fails to feed the last round!

PDA

DontShootMe
March 29, 2004, 03:56 PM
Hello. I recently acquired a Springer Loaded 1911 - it shoots well for around 10 mags worth of ammo, but then fails to feed the last round of each mag!

after cleaning, it will go another 9-10 mags worth and start up with the same type of jam.

This is my first 1911, and I'm just wondering, is this what people were talking about with these guns - they have to be babied and cleaned all the time?

I'm frustrated right now, and probably over-reacting, but man, does anyone want to trade a stainless 1911 with 3 kinds of grips and 4 mags for a 3rd gen Glock 21?

:mad:

But seriously, anyone have any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "My 1911 fails to feed the last round!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
March 29, 2004, 04:31 PM
Howdy Don'tShoot,

Fails to feed...how? Round enters the chamber and stops short?
Round sticks straight up, caught between the slide and barrel hood?
Round doesn't enter the chamber and is stopped at the junction of the
barrel throat and top of the feed ramp?
Nose dive into the ramp?

These things are important in diagnosing the problem.

Rules of thumb:

MOST feeding malfunctions are magazine related...and most of those are
related to the spring or the follower.

The most likely places to HAVE a mag-related failure to feed are at
the top round in a full magazine, and on the last round, assuming
correct extractor tension. Since yours only does it on the last round, you can rule out extractor tension.

Weak magazine spring will generally cause a problem on the last round.
Incorrect follower angle will generally show up on the top round, and
usually from a slidelock reload.

Standin' by for more information...

Tuner

Sean Smith
March 29, 2004, 04:33 PM
This is my first 1911, and I'm just wondering, is this what people were talking about with these guns - they have to be babied and cleaned all the time?

No. Your specific gun just happens to have a problem.

Could you describe the malfunction just a little bit better? How is it "jamming," exactly? Does the round hang up on the feedramp? Does the slide go forward most, but not all, of the way? I've got an idea or two, but it kind of depends on what exactly is going wrong.

EDITED TO ADD: Tuner beat me to it! :D

1911Tuner
March 29, 2004, 04:36 PM
Sean said:

EDITED TO ADD: Tuner beat me to it!

They don't call me Queeksdraw McTuner fer nuttin'.:p

Sean Smith
March 29, 2004, 04:42 PM
Random question: how "tight" is the chamber and the slide-to-frame fit? If either (or both) are *very* tight, then as the gun gets dirtier and the lube runs off, the gun will become more likely to fail in some fashon, especially if something else isn't 100%. Some greases will induce malfunctions in tight guns as well.

I'm only wondering about that because cleaning it cures the problem (temporarily, at least).

1911Tuner
March 29, 2004, 04:54 PM
Ahhhh...Sean! You beat ME to that one.:cool:

If the gun hangs up when it gets hot or dirty, it may be too tight.
If that's the case, we can turn him on to some of the Marvelous, Magical,
Mystery Goop.:D That'll make it run like a raped ape.

Standin' by...

Tuner

MaterDei
March 29, 2004, 05:04 PM
I don't even own a 3rd gen Glock 21, but for a Sprinfield Loaded I'll find one, but it and trade it!!! :D

DontShootMe
March 29, 2004, 05:08 PM
Okay, Here is what I have:

Springfield loaded stainless 1911 with 1 factory stainless mag
3 Colt 1911 blue mags

Here is the problem:

ALL mags work fine for the first 9-10 mags worth of firing after cleaning.

After that, ,as Tuner said:

"Fails to feed...how? Round enters the chamber and stops short?"

it stops short. I can 'help' it by pulling the slide all the way back and then release, and usually it will go ahead and fully seat the rest of the way into the chamber, other times it just get's stuck and I have to reach in there and pull it out.

At first I thought it was just happening with the colt mags, but after yesterday's range session, I see it happens with all of the mags, including the factory stainless one.

Type of ammo used: WWB, Hydra Shock, Gold Dots - same problem with all

:(

1911Tuner
March 29, 2004, 05:35 PM
Howdy again DontShoot,

On one of the jammed rounds...look on the case just below the mouth to see if there's a crescent-shaped mark. Or...if the mark isn't there, look for a
hard scuff-mark. If this is what you have, it's probably a little stem bind, and is showing up on the last round due to the slightly different feed angle
on that round.

I'm ruling out excessive extractor tension. If that was it, the FTF would
likely happen at random. A weak magazine spring can also contribute to this failure due to not getting the base of the round up quickly enough
to get under the extractor as the round climbs the ramp and throat.

There's a good chance that the extractor is impacted with crud in the channel, too...and causes the problem when the gun gets a little hot.

Check for the stem-bind mark. Remove the extractor and clean it, its channel, and the breechface. A worn .22 rimfire pistol brush will do
a good job on the channel. It will push through, so you won't have to
pull it back out. Use solvent.

Take the magazine apart and clean it, and put just a light smear of oil on the outside of the spring only...No oil in the magazine, and just barely enough on the spring to feel it.

Check the breechface for any roughness or burrs. Polish them lightly with some 600-grit wet or dry paper. Auto body section of any auto parts house. You can use a popsicle stick to back the paper with.

If you can get hold of a dial caliper...with the extractor out, turn the slide upside down and measure the width of the two parallel guide rails at the bottom of the breechface. Measure 2-3 times to make sure it's an accurate
measurement. The distance should be no less than .480 inch. .484-.488
is better, but .480 is the minimum.

Do the cleaning and stem binding check first and shoot the gun again.
Then go to the breech-face measurement.

Luck! Keep us posted. These things are usually simple.

Tuner

DontShootMe
March 29, 2004, 05:57 PM
Tuner thanks!

I'll try and keep you posted...

cerberus
March 29, 2004, 08:20 PM
quote:This is my first 1911, and I'm just wondering, is this what people were talking about with these guns - they have to be babied and cleaned all the time?
========================
1911 don't need anymore babying then any other automatic pistol but if your pistol is tight as many 1911 are being Mfg.ed today to keep them shooting tight groups. Then keeping your 1911 clean and using a good lub. on slide rails like Breakfree Clp. will go a long way in holding down problems. Also buying some quality Mags with non-metal followers as the Wilson 47D is Mfg.ed is a smart move.

JNC
August 3, 2004, 01:22 AM
Tuner,

I'm having the same problem - the last round tends to fail to load. The cartridge seems to be stopping right before it passes the extractor. My casings have a scuff mark like you described. I just cleaned out the extractor and channel. It was filled with gunk. But I am still having the same problem.

If it's not the extractor, what is stem-bind and how do you fix it?

JNC

Wichaka
August 3, 2004, 01:41 AM
Tuner pal, I've been noticing that some of the extractors on the SA's I've been wrenchin' on are not fully finished. That is, they have started to make the proper bevels and such (ala match grade extractor work) but the work was not finished all the way thru.

What I've done on the SA's that have come thru (my own Loaded as well), is to open up the hook........just a touch...........and I mean just a touch. Finish & polish the leading edge bevel where the rim comes in contact, as well as the hook.

No more problemos...............

Also the same guy that had the TRP................(better make sure I get that right, or someone will have a brain hemorrhage again :D ) had the same problem, so I worked on the hook a bit & then had him try my Wilson 47D mags............no problemos.

stans
August 3, 2004, 07:23 AM
Stem bind is usually corrected by slightly (and I mean ever so slightly) radiusing the junction of the barrel feedramp where it meets the chamber. If this spot is sharp, rounds have a hard time riding over this edge. Before adjusting this spot, check the breech face for roughness and the extractor for burs, roughness, clocking and tension.

1911Tuner
August 3, 2004, 07:57 AM
Dang...stans beat me to it.:p

Soap
August 3, 2004, 09:42 AM
What kind of ammo are you using? My Colt eats everything but gets FTFs with PMC ammo. This ammo also FTFs in El Tejon's Les Baers.

JNC
August 3, 2004, 03:27 PM
Was using some sort of Winchester and some CCI Blazer Brass 230gr.

If you enjoyed reading about "My 1911 fails to feed the last round!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!