ATFE Website now members only?

PDA

Trent
December 24, 2013, 05:55 PM
I used to use the ATFE toolmakers site extensively for head stamp identification. (http://www.afte.org/)

Unfortunately (and unbeknownst to me until just now, when I went to look something up), back in April they made the headstamp catalog a members only resource.

Is there any comparable (and FREE!) resource for headstamp identification out there? I've done some searching but could not locate anything nearly as comprehensive as the ATFE toolmark guide.

-Trent

If you enjoyed reading about "ATFE Website now members only?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
December 24, 2013, 07:39 PM
There is this one:

http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes

Jim

Odd Job
December 24, 2013, 07:43 PM
Which level of membership have they restricted it to: AFTE Friend (or better), or is it the AFTE Members only (the actual firearms and toolmark examiners?)

Odd Job
December 24, 2013, 07:49 PM
Okay it looks like they have technical problems:

Not sure what's going on with the HSG. Seems like everyone who tries logging in gets a blank white screen and nothing else. Jay is looking into it... Stay tuned. Meanwhile, all the photos that folks are uploading are being saved so that they can be entered into the Gallery as soon as it's back up and running.
Thanks for your patience, folks. :)

Message on the forum by Jill Therriault, one of the moderators (November 12, 2013)

Trent
December 24, 2013, 08:54 PM
Odd Job,

Not sure, I'm not a member. :)

While their headstamp guide is very useful, I don't make frequent enough use of it to justify paying for it. Maybe once or twice a year, at most.

And, generally speaking, it's just to resolve my own curiosity about the origin of brass. I could get by fine without it, although it can be useful. (e.g. when sorting my 9mm brass I used it to identify various headstamps, which I then looked up, and found that some of it was crap brass from China. Even with out that, I would have ended up pitching the brass after a couple firings because of splits or loose pockets anyway.)

Trent
December 24, 2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks Jim K. That should help, even without pictures that'll at least give me a good chance of resolving brass. Looks like the one you linked has WAY more on it than the toolmark examiner site had.

Rule3
December 24, 2013, 10:06 PM
The AFTE has been closed to non members for some time now. I used it often it's a loss of a great resource

Sunday, April 7, 2013

**IMPORTANT**

The AFTE Headstamp Guide is back online. Due to heavy traffic it has been moved to the Member's Area of the website. You will need your Member's Area username and password in order to access it from this point forward.

Odd Job
December 25, 2013, 10:54 AM
There are two membership types: AFTE Friend and AFTE Member.
I just checked and the headstamp guide is now Member only. The submission forum threads are still visible to Friends though.

Anyway, I have posted on the forum asking if Friends can access the guide...

Jim K
December 27, 2013, 01:53 AM
Here is another one, for German WWII Ordnance Codes.

http://proofhouse.com/cm/ger_ord_codes.htm

Jim

Trent
February 10, 2014, 06:30 PM
Resurrection time.

Odd Job did you ever hear anything back from ATFE about the headstamp guide?

That was one great resource for reloaders!!!

Odd Job
February 11, 2014, 04:59 AM
The last I heard was on the 27th of December:

Brandon,

We have had to move the HSG to the Member's Area for the foreseeable future due to "extreme" traffic that was most likely caused by hackers/spammers. We are working to get the issue fixed and make it available to everyone again.

Jay

Trent
February 11, 2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the update. Sounds like they had a technical (security?) glitch they couldn't overcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "ATFE Website now members only?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!