Biggest Disappointment?

PDA

guyfromohio
December 24, 2013, 09:34 PM
Have you ever wanted a gun, saved up, researched, found the perfect deal, purchased...... and then be horribly disappointed with it? For me, it was my Browning Hi-Power. About ten years ago, I had it in my head that I needed another Hi-Power. I had had a Mark III and wasn't impressed, but I had myself convinced that maybe I had a lemon. I saved up the $650 or so and purchased a beautifully blued Hi-Power Standard new from my LGS. The bluing was rich and shiny. The gun felt so solid and smooth. In my hand, it felt like it was made just for me. Then I shot it.... stovepipe after stovepipe...failure after failure. The trigger felt like it was lubricated with sand. Just a plain awefull shooter. What a disappointment! Anybody else with that feeling?

BTW.... I'm getting that BHP itch once again. Third time's a charm, right?

If you enjoyed reading about "Biggest Disappointment?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
351 WINCHESTER
December 24, 2013, 09:42 PM
Never had any problems at all with any Browning FN or Japan made gun. Granted the trigger on the hp isn't very good, but that's the way it was designed. Maybe your magazine is defective or the gun is dirty or someone before you messed with the gun.

TanklessPro
December 24, 2013, 11:08 PM
I have never been really disappointed in any purchase. The closest I can come is the Ruger SR556. I loved it until I picked up a Sig M400 MOE. Man those full length rails were heavy.

David E
December 25, 2013, 12:20 AM
My BHP jammed incessantly until I bought new Mec-Gar magazines.

Fun gun now.

floorit76
December 25, 2013, 12:29 AM
I bought one of the first walther p22's that turned up around here. Need I say more?

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 25, 2013, 12:41 AM
Have you ever wanted a gun, saved up, researched, found the perfect deal, purchased...... and then be horribly disappointed with it? For me, it was my Browning Hi-Power. About ten years ago, I had it in my head that I needed another Hi-Power. I had had a Mark III and wasn't impressed, but I had myself convinced that maybe I had a lemon. I saved up the $650 or so and purchased a beautifully blued Hi-Power Standard new from my LGS. The bluing was rich and shiny. The gun felt so solid and smooth. In my hand, it felt like it was made just for me. Then I shot it.... stovepipe after stovepipe...failure after failure. The trigger felt like it was lubricated with sand. Just a plain awefull shooter. What a disappointment! Anybody else with that feeling?

Happened with one I used to own, then I stopped using KRD and Pro mags and then went back to the military mags and the problems stopped. Try high quality magazines first before selling the gun next time.

plmitch
December 25, 2013, 12:50 AM
Happened with one I used to own, then I stopped using KRD and Pro mags and then went back to the military mags and the problems stopped. Try high quality magazines first before selling the gun next time.

Very good advice here. Like my HP alot.

gspn
December 25, 2013, 12:53 AM
Haven't been disappointed with anything I did my research on.

I've made a few "spur of the moment" purchases over time that didn't ultimately suit me…but even those weren't terrible experiences.

splithoof
December 25, 2013, 12:56 AM
Marlin 1894 .357; feeding issues, Micro-Groove-Miss-All, poor workmanship, etc. Had a few very experienced Marlin fans wring it out, they all advised to get rid of it. So it's gone.
Only other regret gun was a Gamo Whisper .177; chop saw and trashcan solved that issue.

jagdpanzer347
December 25, 2013, 01:12 AM
CAI CETME I bought on a whim at a gun show. When I started researching what I bought I learned about bolt gap. Checked my weapon and determined it had none.

XD Fan
December 25, 2013, 01:32 AM
I'll second being disappointed with the Walther P22. Mine was a problem from the word go. Sold it. Bought a S&W M&P22 and have not looked back. Love it.

jmorris
December 25, 2013, 01:39 AM
M6 scout, ok if you needed one on the way to one of everything but pretty useless.

guyfromohio
December 25, 2013, 02:57 AM
Interesting thoughts about magazine choice. I guess my assumption has always been that OEM mags were the best choice. These two BHPs were bought new from the LGS and only the supplied mags were used. I've since discovered mecgar for other guns and haven't looked back.

Teachu2
December 25, 2013, 03:40 AM
Ruger LC-9. Only handgun I've ever bought that I was completely disappointed in. It could have been sooo much better....

It's also the only handgun I've ever disliked enough to sell. I've spent time and money to inprove others, but the Ruger was never going to be satisfactory to me. Too small for me to grip well, narrow with squared edges on the back of the grip made recoil uncomfortable, and an absolutely awful trigger. Other people love it, but it was unacceptable to me.

berettaprofessor
December 25, 2013, 09:10 AM
Ruger LCR 22 Couldn't wait to get it, couldn't hit a barn from inside one, and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

gbran
December 25, 2013, 11:25 AM
Many years ago I ordered a titanium 7 shot .357 snubbie, Taurus 617T. At the time, I thought it would make a good hi capacity ccw revolver. When it arrived, I found it to acceptably thick, but otherwise a dream to carry.

Turns out it was too ammo sensitive and would lock up on almost every cylinder. Usually bullets might jump crimp or cases would swell. Got rid of it quick. I can't use a gun that isn't depedable. I was really disapointed.

Sock Puppet
December 25, 2013, 11:29 AM
Kel-Tec PF-9. I liked the specs, felt OK, knew what I was buying. for my intended purpose it seemed like a good buy. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that thing. OK, not completely true, but it shot consistently left by about a foot at 15 yards. Sold it instead of sending it back to K-T, and the buyer said it shoots OK for him. Maybe it was me, but I've never shot that badly.

arizona_cards_11
December 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
I was strangely disappointed with my Noveske Lo-Pro 300blk.

Not with its function or accuracy, but with the weight of my final build. A 10lb AR is just too much the cartridge.

Trent
December 25, 2013, 11:44 AM
Romanian Romak III. I loved the way it looked, and felt, but it wouldn't shoot. Jam, jam, jam.

Calico M100. Magazine self-destructed loading/unloading.

Professional Ordinance Carbon 15 (later bought out by Bushmaster). Self-destructed bolt carrier group, custom rounded locking lug bolt carrier. No spare parts.

Century Arms imported Maadi Ak-47. Self destructed on 3rd shot fired; locking lugs sheared off. Dealer replaced as defective; next one had front sight canted 16 degrees to left. Sold cheap to a guy who was making a custom bullpup and didn't need the front sight. :)

Springfield XD. Hated the slide release. Hated the trigger. Hated the feel of it.

Smith & Wesson M&P. Loved the feel of it in my hand, hated the trigger.

Elkins45
December 25, 2013, 11:58 AM
Smith & Wesson 329PD. I expected the brutal recoil. What I didn't expect was the occasional cylinder spin and internal lock engaging under recoil.

My first 1911, a used Colt Government Model Series 80. I saved forever to buy that gun. I had wanted one for years. This was 1986 and I still remember the serial number. Total jam-o-matic. Paid a 'gunsmith' to fix it, sending good money after bad. Finally gave up and traded it for a Sig P220. Still have that gun all these years later, and it was a long time before I bought another 1911.

Ruger ranch rifle. 10-12" groups even with premium bullets. Wouldn't even shoot "hour of angle", much less minute.

Kahr P45. I thought it would be the perfect carry gun, but the trigger hurt my finger and every shot was like high-fiveing a cheese grater.

AMT hardballer. Loved the idea of a stainless 1911 back before everybody was making them. It was the most ironically named gun I have owned: a gun named hardballer that wouldn't even feed hardball.

Geordie
December 25, 2013, 12:04 PM
I feel out of love with a Kahr PM40. Got a Glock 27.

Starter52
December 25, 2013, 12:08 PM
I bought a Ruger .22 bolt action rifle when they first came out in the 1990's. A beautiful gun that functioned just fine but accuracy-wise was a dud.

I also own a BHP that I bought in 1992. It came with two factory magazines (marked "Made in Italy") that have worked perfectly since the day I opened the box. Never a misfeed or stovepipe.

JB357MAG
December 25, 2013, 12:20 PM
Sock Puppet Kel-Tec PF-9. I liked the specs, felt OK, knew what I was buying. for my intended purpose it seemed like a good buy. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that thing. OK, not completely true, but it shot consistently left by about a foot at 15 yards. Sold it instead of sending it back to K-T, and the buyer said it shoots OK for him. Maybe it was me, but I've never shot that badly.

At least yours worked.

The pf9 I had was utter garbage.

Sold it.

Jimmy

bannockburn
December 25, 2013, 12:30 PM
My biggest disappointment was also a Browning Hi-Power. It was a beautifully blued T-series that had one of the worst trigger pulls I have ever encountered, a thumb safety that practically required a mallet to take it on and off, and a somewhat loose slide to frame fit that really didn't help with its accuracy. Couldn't really call shots on target as "groups"; more like I had been using a 9mm shotgun for target practice. One of the nicest looking and also one of the most frustrating guns I have ever shot.

In a gun beauty should always be more than skin deep, even if it's a deep Browning blued finish skin.

km101
December 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
Older Ruger M-77 with tang safety in .25-06. Great looking, handling gun.

Accuracy was 6" at 100 yds. Tried bedding, handloads, re crowned barrel and everything I could think of. Was never able to make that rifle shoot.

So it went on down the road.

Jim NE
December 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure what my biggest disappointment was, but among them would be a Colt SAA that was in near new condition, and a long barrel Single Six .22.

Given the condition of the Colt, and the barrel length of the Ruger, I would've expected both guns to be accurate, but that was the last thing they were. Got rid of those prestigious junkers pronto.

silicosys4
December 25, 2013, 02:00 PM
All three of the Kahr polymer pistols I have owned. 0 for 3 for reliability, serious issues requiring trips back to the factory for two of them.

Grmlin
December 25, 2013, 02:25 PM
For me it was a Beretta 92 FS 9mm. I purchased it because that was what my Gov issue weapon was, I thought if I practiced with it more it would feel better in my hands, some guns just do not fit. It wasn't that I couldn't shoot it, in fact I was very accurate with it, just uncomfortable. From time to time I wish I had kept it but it went to someone who enjoys it.

Skyshot
December 25, 2013, 02:33 PM
Ruger M77 in 7x57. Perfect blueing, stunning wood. Tried everything just short of a rebarreling job. Could never get it to group with any factory or reload I tried. Gave up on it after a couple of years of fruitless efforts.

pendennis
December 25, 2013, 03:19 PM
Two come to mind -

The first was a Glock 27. In the store, it felt good in my hand, and even the first couple of magazines felt fine. Eventually the too-wide grip became an issue. I tried compensating by adding grips adapters, etc. But, nothing worked out. I traded it on a used Kimber Ultra Shadow, and still use it.

The second was a EAA Witness, in .38 Super. The price was right, and I even sent it to EAA and had a trigger job done. It never malfunctioned, and fed everything I loaded, and the trigger was superb. However, it like the Glock, had a double stack magazine, and it just never really fit my hand.

Neither the Glock, nor the Witness had any quality issues. They just "never were my guns".

cfullgraf
December 25, 2013, 03:44 PM
A Springfield P9C in 40 S&W was a disappointment. It would tear itself apart when shooting and then Springfield orphaned it. Fortunately, parts were available from Tanfaglio (spelling?) but it was still junk and I have not gotten over Springfield's customer service on the pistol. Sold the pistol with a bag of spare parts.

Also, an early sig P238 was a disappointment. Sig finally fixed their design flaws and mine functions well now. But the P238 was a disappointment when compared to my 80's vintage Colt Mustang.

wlkjr
December 25, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mine was the Kel-Tec PF9 also. Loved everything about the gun but the reliability. Had jams and FTEs so I finally sold it. Another was an old Remington Nylon 66 rifle. Couldn't hit anything with it. The guy who sold it to me took it back.

almherdfan
December 25, 2013, 06:03 PM
Taurus PLY-22. Loved the way it fit in my hand and pocket. Very positive reviews from users (here and other sites). Saved my $$ and ordered it from my LGS. I was so ready to love it.

It was as accurate as advertised and functioned flawlessly. However, the narrow trigger stung the heck out of my finger (despite being 22LR). I tried to "man up", but eventually had to admit that I just didn't enjoy shooting it.

I also had problems with the KT PF9. I shot several mags through a buddy's PF9 and loved it. Unfortunately, the one I purchased just would not work for me. I was able to make a good trade on a Ruger, though.

SC Shooter
December 25, 2013, 08:04 PM
My Walther P22 is pretty dissapointing. It is pretty finnicky, and only works well with certain ammo.

Bob Bonillas
December 25, 2013, 08:28 PM
My first was a Lugeman in 6.5 Swede. Couldn't group with it. Sold it. Saw one at the last show here for $1700. I'm sure I spelled Lugman wrong. Didn't like the way it operated either. The second was a Kahr CW40. Every time the slide came back, it cut my knuckle. I couldn't hold it. It was just too small for my hand. Gave it to my daughter, she loves it. She even learned how to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Pretty good or a girl!

SleazyRider
December 25, 2013, 08:32 PM
Funny how the P-22 is mentioned here, yet on RimFireCentral it is has an almost cult-like following. They even have a "bible" of sorts that details fixes, modifications, and improvements to the gun. Apparently there's a vast difference between early models and more recent productions. I happen to own the latter of these, and find it reliable and accurate. I've put thousands of rounds through it without a single issue, and even purchased the Walther laser for it. Personally, I love the gun and have no regrets.

I certainly do not question the negative opinions expressed by others here, just wanted to cite my own experience in the same spirit of sharing.

Agsalaska
December 25, 2013, 08:51 PM
Good question.

I was 22 when I bought my first pistol from the pawn shop I was working at. It was a real nice 9mm S&W from their performance center but do not remember the exact model. Anyway I took it to a range and it didnt like the ammo I had bought. THe bad news was I had not had enough experience at the time(or money) to just try a different brand. The good news was I knew this was a big problem and traded it back in for a revolver.

I do wish I still owned that gun. Even if I was disappointed with it at the time.

Noah
December 26, 2013, 12:50 AM
A Polish Tantal 5.45 AK from Centerfire Systems.

I had a self converted (formerly) single stack WASR-10 that I had added a muzzle brake to, a full polymer furniture set, a stack of Russian steel 30 round mags, and I loved the gun, so fun to shoot, accurate and reliable. Tapco trigger I put in as well. Bad black AK47 with a modern AK-10x look and big tubby 7.62x39 rounds. I could wait to clean it, and it was easy to clean when I bothered. Decent 4 moa prone shooter too, and I was a bad shot then. After a good 8 months (it was my first rifle) my twin brother finally succeeded in convincing me I needed a 5.45 AK instead, for flatter ballistics and safer wall penetration properties, and pushed me towards this Polish Tantal, which was the best deal around.

I saved up, sold my beloved black WASR and mags for quite a lot of money, and got the Tantal. It was all messy from the beginning- I never got a shipping e-mail from Centerfire, and when I finally e-mailed them about it, it turns out it had been at my LGS for days, but my LGS wouldn't be open again for 3 days.

I had ordered 4 steel Tantal mags from Centerfire as well, and they were absolute trash. Rust, and every single one either wouldn't feed well, or would only take 5-10 rounds before the follower would bind. So I had to drop another hundred bucks on mags that worked.

My experience buying a case of 5.45 ammo from Buds was a-ok at least. :cool:

So I got the gun finally, and when I did my pre-shooting clean, I found a good 8" of chamber flag stick still lodged in the barrel. Thank the Lord I cleaned the gun before I shot it. I had a good afternoon installing a Bulgarian stock set I had bought off a guy on an Ohio CCW forum, and was excited to shoot! I had this nice, beautifully finished AK-74, with reddish wood. I thought things were shaping up for me.

Then I had a nightmare trying to get those steel mags to work. I borrowed a few of my twin bro's AK mags, which ran great. The trigger had a really really strong reset spring that felt funny when shooting, but I figured I would just make do. After a mag just shooting cardboard at close range and high speed to make sure it was the crummy mags and not the gun, I scootch back to 50 yards and settle into prone to try the accuracy. 2 shots, pretty close together and right where I wanted them, and I'm feeling pretty good. But with each additional shot I can see the group just getting exponentially worse and then I notice the handguard has been working its way loose! Sure enough, next shot it flies right off. :what: That explains the group sizes...

I am still trying to muster my courage, and tell myself that the Bulgarian wood handguard just didn't fit right and I carefully get the original bakelite back on. It's not as pretty but... Like a real trooper, I head back out there, only for the handguard to violently pop off after just 10 rounds. I try every spare AK handguard in the drawers in the basement, only to find the problem worse with every one. The Tapco handguard only made it through 3 shots before I had my support hand holding the handguard with the bare barreled rifle in my trigger hand alone and a miserable look on my face.

I tore the rifle apart (what little was left to be done) and after some experimenting, found that even when fully locked, it only took about 20 pounds of pressure, or some violent wiggling, to work the Tantal's front handguard retainer loose, without the lock key ever having budged. Bad news.

Have I mentioned yet that the safety had no detent hole, and would work itself up into "safe" position every 10 or 15 rounds?

Again taking the advice of my brother, I set out on a daring adventure that I don't think had ever been attempted before. I decided that the quickest and cheapest way to permanently fix the handguard problem would be to cut off the useless retainer, drill the proper screw hole into the front of the receiver, and put on my brother's old Saiga rifle handguard. After ammo, a whole new set of mags, and the food from the stress, I was pretty poor and did not, not want to pay to have the handguard fixed. I didn't even know how you could.

Crazy as the plan was (I have got to be the only guy ever to convert a Tantal into a Saiga. Or any "converted" AK into a Saiga handguard.) it actually worked great, with the gas tube held in place by a zip tie at the back of the handguard. High speed low drag, eh? It has to be the world's lightest standard barrel length AK. The Tantal has a thin barrel profile and light weight already.

So I finally had a pretty complete gun. I mean, the trigger reset was sharp and unreliable, the bolt loved to hang up in the receiver when being hand cycled (without fail you could pull the bolt back and it would stick at the rear until you gave the gun a smack. Kinda neat when you lock it back (with crappy gun friction alone :scrutiny: ) and then it would release when you rocked a mag in... am I right, or am I missing something? :p ) and I was really getting into Appleseed shooting, but this gun had no sling mounts and though I was itching for a scope for my lousy eyes, the only way to mount one was to drop another few hundred bucks on an Ultimak and long eye relief scope. Oh and I couldn't run the bolt while my support arm was slung up while prone. Not very ambidextrous.

Also, I hated the corrosive ammo. I know this is petty, but I hated having to be so careful to clean the gun right after every single range trip, and unlike my WASR, which was a pleasure to work on, this gun took a lot of elbow grease to get the dust cover on and off. To take it off, you always got pinched with a blood blister, and to put it back on, you have to give it a full on smack. And try not to pinch yourself. Watch for blood. Smells funny mixed with gun oil and carbon slime.

I was hundreds of bucks in the hole with this gun, and still needed hundreds to make it what I wanted, and incredibly unhappy and just done with it. My brother had the money to finish it up, and he seemed to like it, so he paid me what I paid for the gun, and fair price for mags and ammo since he's a 5.45 AK guy. He didn't hate it like I did, and was willing to give it the TLC it needed. I still owe him for getting that thing out of my hands. And I still blew hundreds on the gun, and sold the 7.62x39 AK I had converted and refurbished with my own hands and had been totally happy with. I will never let another person convince me to make a purchase or change like that again!! At least I learned something, I hope.

Fast forward, and I have the S&W AR I wanted before I ever got the 7.62 AK, and it has been 100%, and it even has a scope, and I can charge the bolt left handed prone and slung up. It's accurate and works great for me. The ammo is noncorrosive to boot! I'm a happy boy and just glad the whole mess is over.

Didn't write this post to bash AKs, I loved my 7.62x39 and my brother's 5.45 Saiga has been the model of a hallmark fighting carbine for him, it just made me feel better to type all of this. I apologize to anyone who read through my whole rant! :D

bigfatdave
December 26, 2013, 02:23 AM
Funny how the P-22 is mentioned here, yet on RimFireCentral it is has an almost cult-like following.

It isn't as funny when it is your wife's gun, and she likes it, and assumes you can make it run right. I try.

RFC is a huge resource for it, and after much tinkering and parts-swapping I've got it running reliably with bulk ammo (which I now can't find, luckily I have a stockpile)

Looks goofy, with the 5" target barrel hanging out of the front of the normal slide.
Works well though.

It took a lot of tinkering and some aftermarket parts, as well as:
- one angry call to S&W when the stupid "target model" barrel weight wouldn't stay in place (they sent me a replacement 5" setup as a replacement, AND a free barrel/sleeve for the {3.4"?} shorter length, which I think was blemished, but functional)
- one embarassed call to S&W when I lost a little bitty slidestop spring during a detail strip (they sent me 2 as freebies)

TennJed
December 26, 2013, 02:52 AM
Funny how the P-22 is mentioned here, yet on RimFireCentral it is has an almost cult-like following. They even have a "bible" of sorts that details fixes, modifications, and improvements to the gun.

When you have a bible to fixes, mods, and improvements it doesn't scream out of the box reliability. An inexpensive 22s target audience doesn't generally want to read a bible to get the gun up and running.

Take the Ruger MK series. It is legendary out of the box and is versatile enough to have a bible on mods (not fixes). That makes a great gun. IMHO YMMV

Glocktogo
December 26, 2013, 03:14 PM
Ruger Mini-30 Ranch. It was a true "minute of pie plate" gun at 100 yards. Seriously, every type of ammo I tried was 6-8 MOA. That sadness. :(

roadliner
December 26, 2013, 03:43 PM
None that were disappointing, but a few impulse buys at a gun show that in the light of day, I asked myself why. The GSG 5, like how it looked like the original H&K (enough it got them in trouble), and it shoots great. But I already have a ton of 22's and it was just shy of $500. I could have waited a year or so and saved close to $200, since it's just a range toy.

chicharrones
December 26, 2013, 04:26 PM
Beretta Bobcat in .22LR and a Beretta Neos pistol.

The Bobcat was bought as fun plinker back in the day, but I found out it would only run two to three magazines before it would jam from being so sensitive to requiring a clean chamber. Kind of a bummer when your friend is just flying through ammo with his Ruger MKII.

The Neos was pretty nice until I sent it in for the factory recall that replaced the striker with a longer sear surface. Dang, that just messed up that trigger good. Oh well, it works okay for a carbine trigger, thankfully.

docnyt
December 26, 2013, 04:43 PM
Interestingly mine was also a BHP. I'm a huge JMB fan - the man was a genius - but the BHP never felt right even with different mags, cleaning and polishing. Put it on consignment and sold several months later. Maybe if I come across another one I may try it again.

ms6852
December 26, 2013, 04:48 PM
For me it was a savage mkII 22 lr. In the sporter barrel. Not as accurate as my 1022. Gave it to my godson.

almostfree
December 26, 2013, 04:56 PM
I spent a long time obsessing over a semi-auto Sterling 9MM carbine. When I finally got one, I just plain didn't like it. It ran fine and the build quality was good, but I just never warmed to it for some reason.

earlthegoat2
December 26, 2013, 05:08 PM
Ive never had a problem or a regret with any gun I bought. I research every gun I want first. Even if it was an impulse purchase I had researched it in the past first. I see a lot of guns on this thread that did not pass my research muster to consider buying.

The BHP is a surprise since I now own and love one. I can see 1911s even though I have owned those before too. One was a Para Ordinance even, which seems to have a bad rep. It was pretty good. The other was a Filipino job that was also very good.

Generally, I am leery of any new 22 design. Such as the myriad of pistols that have entered the market in the last decade. I worked at a gun shop for a time and every Sig Mosquito we sold came back to us for warranty work to be done. We did not sell many of those but 100% of any number more than one makes you think harder about it.

Texron
December 26, 2013, 05:15 PM
Ruger LCR 22 Couldn't wait to get it, couldn't hit a barn from inside one, and couldn't wait to get rid of it.
Same here with the ruger LCR22. Had to have it but, but I am very inaccurate with it. Nothing really wrong with the gun, but if I can't hit what I am shooting at, what good is it?

wow6599
December 26, 2013, 05:25 PM
Mosin–Nagant

I bought an "excellent" condition one from Bud's that made me think I had something wrong with me, because most folks seem to really like them.

Terrible action, terrible trigger, terrible accuracy, terrible looking. And too long and heavy.

I will never understand the attraction.........

Hometeached1
December 26, 2013, 06:39 PM
So far I've not bought a firearm that I hate, but I only own a few and I research and research and research and handle and try to shoot any firearm before buying.

Noah, that's to bad about your Tantal. Glad you like your S&W. Which model is it if you don't mind me asking? The sport has caught my eye, just not to sure if a AR is for me (like wood on a rifle) and at that price point I might get one.

wojownik
December 26, 2013, 06:51 PM
S&W 5906. Loved the look and feel of the pistol. Just did not suit me at all - came to hate the trigger after a session or two at the range, and I was just not accurate at all with that piece.

Joshua M.
December 26, 2013, 07:27 PM
Tommy 1927-A1...
Had to have one, although it had a really high cool factor, and it was fun to shoot, just really had no purpose for me. Sold it for what I had in it, but it did make me stock up with .45 acp ammo, and now I have a whole bunch, and only 2 pistols to shoot it all.

gearhead
December 26, 2013, 08:13 PM
Beretta Cougar in .40S&W. I thought the weight and rotating barrel would tame the snappiness of the cartridge but in reality it was just a heavy, bulky handgun that fired a snappy round. Probably a good duty gun but it didn't fill a need for me. It was a beautiful gun with great workmanship, I wanted to like it but I just didn't.

arspeukinen
December 27, 2013, 04:11 PM
GSG-5 2ndgen model. Everything in it broke one part after another. It still has some broken parts (bolt carrier frame, bolt carrier).

chris in va
December 27, 2013, 09:36 PM
Glock 21sf.

Nothing 'wrong' with it, just very disappointed. Terrible mush trigger, aircraft carrier-wide sight plane, disturbing grip angle. I had such high hopes for this gun.

Or maybe the EAA Witness 45.

Perhaps the Sig 220...sigh.

I always wanted a SAA 45 Colt, until I fired one. Talk about a high bore axis!

Now that I think of it, the Ruger 22/45 6" bull barrel was absurdly top heavy. Just not fun. The Mosin M38 was pointless too.

hemiram
December 28, 2013, 01:17 AM
There was about a 5 year period where almost ALL the semiautos I bought were duds. New, used, it didn't matter! One after another, FTFs, stovepipes, etc. It was like I was jinxed. Revolvers were another story completely, I had a bunch and they were all great. I had a lot of free cash to buy guns and the bad streak never seemed to end, .45, 9mm, .22, POS after POS. Three good ones came out of that period, all made by Beretta. The first was a 950 I bought as a backup gun, after many .22LR disasters that included the FTL Auto Nine, several PPK clones, and more than a few others. The other winners were a Beretta 84, and a Browning BDA 380. Pretty much perfect. The other duds ranged from an almost OK PPK, to a Browning HP that was a better club than a gun, a Colt Combat Commander that was pretty useless, an AMT Hardballer that never saw a round it liked, an AMT back up 380 with a trigger pull that exceeded most people's ability to pull it, to LLama and Star 1911ish turds that limpwristed constantly.

Weird thing is, it all changed when I started buying lots of guns again in 2006, I haven't had one bad one. Not one. Most have been in better condition than I had thought from the pics on the auction sites I have bought most of them from. Revolvers, semis, new, used, it doesn't matter, I've had great gun after gun, and I keep wondering when the winning streak will finally end.

Redlg155
December 28, 2013, 06:18 AM
Kimber CDP Pro. 45

This was a great looking pistol with the contrasting slide/frame color. Never had a malfunction and was very accurate. What irked me was the crappy finish that was not on par with a 1k priced handgun. It started to wear after carrying it a couple of times. The soft feed ramp area was also an issue as the magazine follower would "peen" the area, leaving numerous marks. This was solved by going with a Wilson mag follower, but by then the stock Kimber mag had done a good job leaving dings on the feedramp area of the soft aluminum frame.

If I ever buy a new another Kimber it will be a steel frame model.

CZ223
December 28, 2013, 08:34 AM
1) Colt 1911 Jam-eO-Matic I think it was a parts gun. It was beautiful but nevr worked right.

2) Colt 1991A1 I bought this right after number one and it too was never reliable. Worst part of this story is that I traded a beautiful S&W 625-5 in 45 Colt for it. Never should have sold that gun. This is the reason I went fifteen years without even considering another 1911. I now own a bunch.:D

3) Springfield XD40 I just could not get used to it. Bought it brand new and sold it a couple months later. Traded it for one of the most accurate rifles I own.:D

HexHead
December 28, 2013, 09:27 AM
That would have been my Beretta 9000s in .40 S&W. Beretta's first polymer gun, designed by the Italian industrial designer Gugliaro, it was beautiful. I just hated it. The controls were very stiff. Very, very stiff. The slide was removing the bluing from the barrel. I spent $75 sending it to Beretta, they returned it saying that was normal. Really? None of my other guns did that. I also found I hated three things about that gun that influenced all my pistol purchases since (it was my 3rd handgun, all made by Beretta).

I hate .40 S&W.
I hate slide mounted safeties that you flip up to fire.
I hate DA/SA triggers on pistols.

76shuvlinoff
December 28, 2013, 11:35 AM
Springfield MicroCompact or was it (UltraCompact?) V10 (ported) 3 5/8" 45acp.

Without ear muffs this pistol taught me to flinch. Evil Evil Evil. I could not sell it fast enough.

redneck2
December 28, 2013, 11:49 AM
Without ear muffs this pistol taught me to flinch. Ditto on the Springfield V-10. I can't even begin to imagine shooting without muffs. I doubled up and it was still painful to shoot. It went away after the first 50 rounds

3rd Gen SAA in .44-40. Wife worked vacations and overtime to buy me that gun. Absolutely gorgeous. Put it on lay-away a week before Colt announced they were going to be discontinued. Every time I'd shoot the cylinder would lock up and not rotate. Afraid I was gonna knock it out of time trying to get it unjammed. Got more than we paid. Good-bye.

Had an Uberti copy of a Golden Boy in .44-40. Never shot it because it was too pretty to get scratched up and it left when the Colt pistol went away.

Noah
December 28, 2013, 12:40 PM
So far I've not bought a firearm that I hate, but I only own a few and I research and research and research and handle and try to shoot any firearm before buying.

Noah, that's to bad about your Tantal. Glad you like your S&W. Which model is it if you don't mind me asking? The sport has caught my eye, just not to sure if a AR is for me (like wood on a rifle) and at that price point I might get one.
It's the S&W M&P-15 Sport, 650 plus tax at my LGS. It has shot great so far, zero malfunctions and 1.5-2 MOA groups prone with a loop sling. :)

The Sport is basically one of their more expensive guns, but with no dust cover or forward assist. Comes with a Magpul rear sight and Pmag.

luzyfuerza
December 31, 2013, 08:00 PM
Glock 36. Carried it and used it in IDPA (thinking I should compete with my carry gear to build skills) for two years. Thing experienced a lot of stovepipes and other FTEs, but I am grateful: I got to be pretty good at malfunction resolution. Three times the gun broke cross pins and went belly-up. I got to be on a first-name basis with my local Glock armorer.

Noticed that the folks at IDPA shoots who used Springfield XDs never seemed to have problems with their guns. Made the switch and have no regrets!

SpentCasing
January 2, 2014, 04:43 PM
HK USP Compact 40. I wanted to like it. I really, REALLY, tried to like it, but I just didnt. Ergos were goofy, paddle mag release was akward, trigger was horrendous, and muzzle-flip was bad. Every few years I also try to give 40 another chance but I just dont care for it. For DA/SA I much prefer my Beretta 92 and for poly I much prefer my G17/G19. It was very accurate for me though but it just didnt fit.

Ended up kicking it down the road for a LNIB (backup) Gen4 G19 with a ton of extras. Then traded that G19 without extras for a NIB Gen3 G17. Couldnt be happier, but man I really did want to like that HK.

J-Bar
January 2, 2014, 05:29 PM
Marlin 39 .22 LR. It shot small groups but the lever and trigger were terrible. Things did not improve much with a gunsmiths action job. I intended to use it for cowboy action practice. I replaced it with a Henry Golden Boy which is just as accurate and silky smooth.

Guns&Religion
January 2, 2014, 06:53 PM
My worst disappointment was with a Taurus 94.

Out of the box, the hammer spring was not strong enough to ignite the 22lr primers about half the time. I sent it back to the factory and it came back with a stronger spring, and a VERY strong DA trigger with a bad snagging problem. I sent it back to the factory, and it came back in pretty much the same shape. When I called Taurus, the agent told me the trigger pull had to be hard like that for the spring to be strong enough to strike the primers. He then told me there was nothing they could do to fix the problem. In frustration, I put the infernal gun away, until about a year later when pulled it out again and decided on a "more radical repair"

I had read on a Taurus forum, a post from an owner with a similar problem. What he did was to open up the side plate of the revolver, and fill the inside parts with metal polish and replace the plate. He then proceeded to pull the trigger about 500 times. After doing this, he opened the plate again and cleaned out the polish and re-oiled the trigger. He claimed this fixed his problem.

While I would have normally never done anything like this to a gun in a million years, the truth was I hated this 22 revolver with a passion and I though I would give it a shot, after all, I had only spent $230 for it brand new. I opened up the side plate and squeezed the gooey blue, toothpaste looking metal polish into it and put the plate back on. I then put spent 22 cases into the cylinder to protect it and the firing pin and began dry firing the gun.

I got to about 230 dry fires (double action) and the trigger seized up completely (what a surprise LOL). I then proceeded to open the plate and spray WD-40 into the trigger compartment and clean out the polish. I then put a few drips of gun lubricant in the trigger compartment, but to no avail. The trigger was frozen and done for.

I decided about a month after that to call Taurus again and see if they could look at it. All I told them was the trigger was frozen, I didn't mention any details. They had me send the gun back, and when it returned, it worked fine. It still has a heavy DA trigger pull, but it is fairly smooth and consistent.
I use it now as a trigger finger exercise device at the range.

I suppose it was a disappointment for a while, but with a happy ending.

gdcpony
January 2, 2014, 08:59 PM
Here is a review of the Savage MKII I did.

http://www.shootersforum.com/rimfire-rifles/49754-mark-ii-review.html

My daughter loves it so it is still around.

Cee Zee
January 4, 2014, 02:59 AM
I bought a Tec-9 mostly for giggles but I was pretty disappointed in it even for that purpose. First off a round dug into the ramp and put a major burr in the ramp. I had to send it to the factory to get it fixed and they were pretty slow about it. But it did work when I got it back. Mainly though, it wouldn't hit anything you pointed it at. I would have been happy with even minute of man at 10 feet but I don't think it was that accurate.

It was a nice party favor but as a weapon it was a waste of ammo. Still it was fun to rip off 25 rounds if a few seconds. I sold it after just a few months (after getting it back from the factory).

1911 guy
January 4, 2014, 06:00 AM
Several years ago I bought a brand new Para Ordnance fullsize 1911. That's when I discovered that the Para of today is NOT the Para of a decade or more ago. While mim parts are common, I didn't expect plastic. Where sometimes a lemon leaves the factory, I do expect CS to be willing to at least attempt to address it, whether I wind up completely satisfied or not.

fredg
January 4, 2014, 08:48 PM
Ruger LCR 22 What a piece of junk! It had a limited edition olive drab finish that started flaking off the moment it was handled. The cylinder was way sloppy and after a few rounds it broke free and would just spin... while closed in the frame.

Took it back to my dealer and got a Rossi .22 revolver, I was hesitant because of the Rossi name but it has been a solid nice shooing gun and 100 times better than the Ruger!

And it is all steel! Unlike the plastic Ruger.

marv
January 4, 2014, 11:21 PM
I may have avoided disappointment. I bought a new .22 auto pistol by phone from a dealer. Before I could go pick it up my bride vetoed the deal. Later one of my buds said he has the same gun and can't find a big enough piece of cardboard to see where it shoots.

TennJed
January 5, 2014, 03:20 AM
Ruger LCR 22 What a piece of junk! It had a limited edition olive drab finish that started flaking off the moment it was handled. The cylinder was way sloppy and after a few rounds it broke free and would just spin... while closed in the frame.

Took it back to my dealer and got a Rossi .22 revolver, I was hesitant because of the Rossi name but it has been a solid nice shooing gun and 100 times better than the Ruger!

And it is all steel! Unlike the plastic Ruger.

hate to hear that. I love, love, love mt LCR 22lr

1911junkee
January 5, 2014, 03:44 AM
The only Ruger I was ever truly disappointed with, the LCR 22, what a P.O.S.!

guyfromohio
January 5, 2014, 06:30 AM
Is Ruger quality deteriorating since the Bill's passing? The P series and Mark IIs were legendary for their durability and reliability.

chupacabrah
January 5, 2014, 09:40 AM
I've had a few:

- Tec 22 (was my wife's) : this thing jammed up frequenly. Was fun to shoot, though. sold this.
- Keltec PF9: I got this wanting a smaller CCW piece. I couldn't hit much with it (sights drifting? looked like it had glue on there), and without a rubber grip on there the thing just hurt to shoot. traded this to a friend for a lawnmower and cash. :)
- CZ82 : I don't know, I just didn't like it. I think the sights were off or something so maybe I just had a bad one. I want another one now to go with my makarov.

kbheiner7
January 5, 2014, 05:19 PM
Mine was the gift I asked for HS graduation, a very nice Browning BPS. it fit me well, I shot it beautifully - but it jammed way too often. My diagnosis was that the chamber was slightly too big and brass sometimes expanded upon firing and stuck, and I mean STUCK in the chamber. The final straw was when it jammed when I had the opportunity to triple on canada geese and it jammed again. I threw it in the river in disgust.

blue32
January 5, 2014, 06:11 PM
S&W 642-2. Barrel started to develop cant after around 3,200 rounds. Sent to factory for repair. After around 4,300 rounds the hammer stud breaks. After 6 months of unsuccessfully trying to get a return shipping label from S&W (emails and several phone calls), I give up on it. It used to ride in my pocket at work every day and had a sweet trigger from lots of firing but now it sits in the corner. Not buying another S&W product until they make it right.

Kramer Krazy
January 6, 2014, 12:56 AM
AMT Backup in 45 acp.

Ignition Override
January 6, 2014, 01:16 AM
Grmlin:
About the Beretta you never liked: a friend asked me to store a few of his guns, and that same Beretta 92FS he owns has nice features, with a trigger about as good as my WW2 Sauer 38H.

But compared to the size/feel of both the Sauer and the very similar, modern Sig 230/232, that Beretta would be impossible to easily conceal in this warm climate, and in my slender hands does not 'point' nearly as easily.

redneck2
January 6, 2014, 10:36 AM
I've got one right now. Absolutely beautiful Savage 99 in .250-3000. Had wanted one for years, and this one popped up for a decent price. Limited edition that was only made four years in the early 1900's. Looks nearly new.

Tried to get it ready for pronghorn, but only had a week to try to work up loads. So far, best is about 3". Too erratic to hit something that small that far way. Gotta do some more work, but it's gotta get better than that.

hank327
January 7, 2014, 01:02 PM
I have a couple. Back in the late 80's I ordered a Winchester Model 94 Big Bore in 356 Winchester. It was going to be my hog gun. The problem became clear on the first range trip. I got it on paper at 20 yard with no problem and got it zeroed. My first shot at 100 yards hit the ground about 20 yards in front of the target. The next couple I couldn't tell where they hit. Finally on the 5th or 6th shot, I got a hit on paper. Not around hole but a hole that was the profile of the bullet! Several more misses and then another keyhole hit. It was clear that the bore was out of spec and oversized.

Returned the rifle to Winchester where they confirmed the bad barrel. They kept my rifle for over a year because they didn't have a barrel available! They said they had to wait for the next time they had a run of .356 Winchester barrels. When I finally got my rifle back I promptly sold it as I was no longer interested in it.

My other disappointment is a Glock 23. I bought one back in the 90's after reading how great a .40 cal Glock it was. It functions perfectly like a Glock but I can't stand the way it feels when I shoot it. Just don't like the snappiness of the .40 S&W in that gun. I just don't shoot it well. I have a Glock 19 that is worlds better to me. So the Glock 23 while mechanically perfect has sat in the back of the safe for well over 10 years.

Palehorseman
January 7, 2014, 03:46 PM
I bought one of the first walther p22's that turned up around here. Need I say more?
I agree on that, the Walther PP series today are pure junk.

Wife has two Bersa Model 85s, 13+1 in .380 and one Model 23 in .22lr, they are clones of the Walther PP pistols, but IMO they are far superior to the Walthers.

230RN
January 7, 2014, 03:51 PM
Kel-tec PF9.

tiamat
January 8, 2014, 11:35 AM
Great question. My only disappointment has been a Sig P225 (I know, it's blasphemous). When I was looking to get my first pistol, I researched and researched for exactly what I thought I wanted, and finally settled on a P225. Then, I came to realize that either they weren't being made anymore, or just that no one had one in stock (I never considered looking in the used market at that time). Dejected, I settled on the next best thing, a P239.

Years later, I decided to restart my search for a P225 and ended up getting a severely used one for a good price. I dunno if it was due to wear, or it's high bore-axis, or monumentally stiff trigger pull (eve WITH Wolf reduced power main springs), or what, but I just could not shoot that thing well at all. I was so disappointed that the gun I'd wanted for so long did not work for me. It's still the best feeling handgun that I've ever held but if I couldn't put rounds on target, what's the point right? Gave it to my wife for her first pistol.

For some reason, though, I'm thinking I should either pick up a P6 or find myself a new P225 and try again - they just look and feel so good....

Arkansas Paul
January 8, 2014, 11:38 AM
I didn't do a lot of research, that was the problem.

I bought a Sigma 40VE. Don't think I need to say much more than that. Now I have a Sig 2022. It was only $100 more, but is much better than the mere $100 difference.

jim243
January 8, 2014, 11:56 AM
Actually the Biggest Disappointment was a FNH FNP-40 I purchased. The gun itself was excellent and functioned without problem, BUT it was too light for the 40 S&W cartridge, extreme muzzle flip and a too weak recoil spring made follow-up shots a pain and unacceptable groups. The frame was made for the 9mm and they should have stopped there instead of trying to put the 40 S&W in the same frame.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim

gym
January 8, 2014, 12:00 PM
LC9 for all the reasons mentioned

230RN
January 8, 2014, 02:10 PM
tiamat noted (Post 84):

I dunno if it was due to wear, or its high bore-axis, or monumentally stiff trigger pull (even WITH Wolf reduced power main springs), or what, but I just could not shoot that thing well at all.

I've stayed away from a couple of high-bore-axis handguns for that reason. At least Kahr, in their CW-9, took note of this as a problem and offset the magazine from the chamber to eliminate an excessively high bore axis. While that gun is pretty stiff in recoil (9mm, 17 or so oz loaded), it's quite controllable in terms of muzzle flip and so far (~200rd, 115gr FMJs) it's very reliable.

(No, I'm not affiliated with Kahr, but I sure like that little gun for EDC.)

Terry, 230RN

SniperJon
January 8, 2014, 04:47 PM
Kel-Tec PF-9 also, had problems with light striking primers from day 1. Sent it in and got back a refurbished barrel and slide with a lot of internal and external wear in much worse condition than the one I sent. I also sent it in with the steel guide rod I bought and they decided to keep it and send it back with a factory plastic one. Sent it in again with a long note describing all the problems and they just sent it right back the same way. It would still occasionally stove-pipe and shot a foot low at 10 yards so I sold it...

chhodge69
January 8, 2014, 05:08 PM
I've had a few disappointments but the biggest was a Kimber Ultra Raptor. I sold a really nice Mesa Boogie guitar amp to buy this gun and it just would not feed hollow points no matter what I tried. I sold it at a loss, bought a Glock 19 and never looked back.

Other failures were a Glock 30 that jammed a lot and a Saiga 12 because mags are made so badly they ruin the gun for me.

Akita1
January 8, 2014, 05:50 PM
One of the early Kel-Tec 9's - just sucked all the way around. Also a DPMS Oracle - trigger was the worst ever. Sold both.

Ky Larry
January 8, 2014, 06:02 PM
Ruger M77 in .243Win. Beautiful rifle but shot patterns at 100 yrds. I free floated the barrel,bedded and glassed it, installed a Timney trigger,mounted a Nikon Monarch scope (off my .30-06), tried every factory load and reload in the book and the p.o.s.still wouldn't shoot Traded it for a CZ-550 Varmint in .22-250.

HKVP70Z
January 8, 2014, 07:05 PM
A 180- series mini-14, it's a good shooter but none of the scope mounts work worth a flip.

P22, it should be illegal to sell that POS.

orionengnr
January 8, 2014, 08:12 PM
Lots of them, in the last 30 years or so. In no particular order:

--Rossi M-68 or -69 (forget which; it was a blue 5-shot .38 snub). It ended up at the wrong end of a sledge hammer, and is now resting at the bottom of a lake. I have documented this handgun's issues several times on this forum...if you are interested in the sad tale, do a search on my screen name and Rossi. This stupid gun actually turned me off of revolvers for about the next 20 years.

--My first 1911 was a Colt, just like my daddy's. Er...not exactly. His actually worked.

--I went through four Kel-Tecs (two P3ATs, one P32 and one P11) and had a POS rate of 100%. K-T tried hard, but in spite of a bunch of free parts (and a bunch more that I paid for) I never got any of them working to an acceptable level. Sold each at a significant loss with full disclosure. one I actually gave away. Scratch me off K-Ts permanently.

--Two Glocks (G23 and G19). Nothing really wrong with the guns...but not much of a range gun (crap trigger and odd grip angle) and certainly too fat for a carry gun. Bye-bye.

--S&W Scandium Magnum J-frames. Yes, plural--I bought and sold three of them. Fortunately, I don't think I paid more than $450 for any of them, so (for a change) I didn't lose any money. Probably lost 20 years off the use of my wrists, though. I sold the last one seven years ago. My wrist still hurts.

--Springfield EMP. I bought an early unit in 2007 (S/N 1073, IIRC) and it had every malfunction known to man. I sent it back (twice) and Springfield, to their eternal credit, was great. Replaced the firearm (S/N 2705). Only problem was, the second one didn't work much better than the first. Sent it back twice too. When it was finally working right, I sold it with full disclosure and at a significant loss.

--My biggest disappointment (to date) has been a Dan Wesson 10mm CBOB. Bought used with ~600 rounds. Too many problems to list. DW had no interest in helping, except to sell me parts that didn't fix it...they were willing to let me pay them to fix it, as long as I also paid shipping. Yeah...right. :rolleyes: I worked through some of the issues myself, and paid a good 1911-smith with the most troubling one. Every time I see someone raving over DW quality, I have to laugh. I will never get back anywhere near what I put into this one, and I'll probably never put enough rounds through it to be worth my while. I sure as Hell won't buy another. Mighty expensive show piece is what it really is.

In fairness, I've probably bought and sold close to 100 guns (mostly handguns) in that time, and probably 80% of those within the last ten years. Most of them worked just fine.

Hope your experiences are better than mine. :)

welldoya
January 8, 2014, 09:09 PM
Mine was a Remington 7400 30/06. It jammed a lot and I couldn't get inside a 6" group with it. Sold it and bought a BAR and it was much better but wasn't really happy till I got a ABolt.
Also had a Mini 14 in the 80s that I couldn't get rid of fast enough.

USAF_Vet
January 9, 2014, 03:03 AM
Mine was a Savage Axis in .30-06. Never felt comfortable shouldering it. What sucks is I sold my Hungarian M-44 to finance the Savage. Offloaded the Savage to get my Taurus 709 slim, which is my EDC.

JohnBT
January 9, 2014, 07:24 AM
A Fox Model B 12 ga. choked F/M in 1964.

My parents wanted to give me a gun and that's what I picked. I was a tall but thin 14-year-old and that gun kicked the snot out of me from the very first shot. It shot those high brass #6 paper shells like it was choked F/XF. And it was heavier than it looked after a day of walking hills or mountain logging paths.

My uncle soon sold it to a guy at work for us. A gun guy. The story goes that the second time he shot it he had his thumb a little close to his nose and hurt himself pretty badly.

All these years later, I'm thinking the gun was poorly stocked too - no cast - or even warped a little in the wrong direction.

trigga
January 9, 2014, 11:22 PM
savage 93r17. it was the exact model i had wanted except for that it didn't come with a accutrigger. it was a great deal at the time so i bought it only to find that i could not upgrade to an accutrigger and the gun would not feed right. magazine would pop out the rounds as if the lips were too far apart. the stock trigger was horrible. everything else was good. barely 20 rounds and i wanted to sell it already. they offered me 120 so i kepted it.

Kosh75287
January 10, 2014, 12:09 AM
My Mini-14's accuracy, and the non-shootability of my 4" Colt Python. It was okay slow-fire, but inferior to a friend's K-38. Rapid-fire, I could shoot better with ANY other revolver owned by me or any of my friends (including a Charter Arms .357 Target Bulldog, a 2.5" barreled S&W M19, various Taurus S&W clones, and even an Enfield in .38 S&W). I really, REALLY, REALLY tried to like that thing, but I could never hit ****** with it.

HisStigness
January 10, 2014, 01:41 AM
Mine was a Remington 7400 30/06. It jammed a lot and I couldn't get inside a 6" group with it. Sold it and bought a BAR and it was much better but wasn't really happy till I got a ABolt.
Also had a Mini 14 in the 80s that I couldn't get rid of fast enough.

The 7400 is probably the worst gun purchase I've made. It was my first rifle so I figured Remington+30-06= a good gun. Not quite 6 inch groups with mine but still unacceptable none the less.

Thursday45
January 10, 2014, 01:59 AM
Taurus 444UL. Barrel was canted and part of the barrel shroud was eaten away inside. Gun went back to Taurus who replaced the barrel. I was impressed with Taurus' customer service but the experience with the gun itself left a bad taste in my mouth and the gun has sat ever since. That's okay though, more 44 mag ammo to feed my 629.

trigga
January 10, 2014, 10:38 AM
The 7400 is probably the worst gun purchase I've made. It was my first rifle so I figured Remington+30-06= a good gun. Not quite 6 inch groups with mine but still unacceptable none the less.

lol i grew up with this gun and used it for hunting for 10 years. what you say is true. gun would jam randomly, first shot was good but anything after that the barrel would heat up and the groups would scatter. i lost many good deer to this gun.

gym
January 10, 2014, 12:14 PM
I found this to be a problem on small sub compact auto's when they irst started pumping them out in the early 90's. A dozen different brands had similar problems, ftf's fte's. Then in and around 2000-05 they started to get better. Now it's rare to get a really bad one. It must come with learning how to address the problems that small auto's generate.

Hoppes Love Potion
January 10, 2014, 01:46 PM
Add my vote for the Ruger LCR-22. Everything else has been pretty good, but I have stuck with S&W revolvers mostly and don't own a semi-auto of any kind.

I'm surprised there are so many Rugers on the list, and so many Savage rifles. I'm not surprised to see Taurus on the list, or ultralight .357 J-frames, or ultra compact .45's.

9mmforMe
January 10, 2014, 10:05 PM
Almost every Taurus I have owned!

230RN
January 12, 2014, 05:36 PM
orionengnr said,

--My biggest disappointment (to date) has been a Dan Wesson 10mm CBOB. Bought used with ~600 rounds. Too many problems to list. DW had no interest in helping, except to sell me parts that didn't fix it...they were willing to let me pay them to fix it, as long as I also paid shipping. Yeah...right. I worked through some of the issues myself, and paid a good 1911-smith with the most troubling one. Every time I see someone raving over DW quality, I have to laugh. I will never get back anywhere near what I put into this one, and I'll probably never put enough rounds through it to be worth my while. I sure as Hell won't buy another. Mighty expensive show piece is what it really is.

I had beaucoup problems with one of their interchangeable barrel revolvers, bought it with 4" and 6" barrels, IIRC. No accuracy at all. I finally theorized that the variable tensioning between the muzzle nut and frame and the variability of the barrel gap was to blame. I had a 38 caliber barrel blank I threaded for it which seemed to work better, but I had already put it up for sale and a buyer came along, so I sold the threaded barrel blank with it at a loss.

Never again.

However, the PF-9 is still the gun-I-most-love-to-hate, hate, hate.

Terry, 230RN

Stevie-Ray
January 13, 2014, 03:43 PM
My H&K USP Compact with stainless slide was my dream gun. I had compared it to the SIG P220 compact at a Gander Mountain, but both of those were as common as hen's teeth at the time, so a side by each comparison was a truly fortunate happening. Sights cleared immediately whenever I picked the USPC up, not so the SIG, so it was my perfect carry gun right? Uh...no. I had been under the misconception that I needed a DA capability in a carry arm. Not so, and when I realized it, I started looking for the perfect 1911, my favorite weapon and the one I shoot best. Found it in the Kimber UCDP. Though Colt would have been my choice, the Kimber offered features that Colt didn't at the time. The Kimber totally and completely outclassed the HK-if you're a 1911 guy you probably understand, if not, it's doubtful. At any rate, the Kimber is still on my hip after over 10 years, the HK sits languishing in the safe, a $759 mistake. Nice gun. It just doesn't do anything for me.

fiddleharp
January 14, 2014, 09:55 AM
About a year ago I saw my very first left-handed bolt-action .22 rifle at my local LGS. I impulsively bought it.
It's a pre-accutrigger Savage MK-II GL. Plain Jane wooden stock.
No matter how clean I kept the chamber and bolt face, it simply would not extract an unfired round from the chamber. About 10% of the fired casings would not extract, either.
I complained to Savage, and they sent me a couple of extra C-clamp extractor springs for free, and I slipped one over the existing spring, effectively doubling its strength, and providing more "bite" to the extractor claw.
Problem solved! :cool:
This fix, plus the trigger shim job I'd performed earlier, has turned this rifle into a tackdriver that I rely upon for almost-nightly varmint control in my fruit orchard. Got three coons with it a couple of nights ago.
A happy ending! :D

Sniper66
January 14, 2014, 09:12 PM
A friend of mine who belongs to the same rifle club where I shoot, bit the expensive bullet and bought a very high end Cooper .223; one with great wood and case hardened finish. He waited for months and spent around $4000. Sadly, it doesn't shoot as good as his favorite Remington 700 for which he paid $700. He is very disappointed.

gym
January 16, 2014, 08:46 PM
This is a great thread, makes you aware that you aren't the only one having problems with certain guns that many here have pointed out.
So many times when you mention certain guns, a bunch of guys jump in, "usually the same ones, and tell you it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Some of those have been mentioned a half dozen times here. There are a lot of guns that are being pushed out at medium to high prices that it appears no one looked at or tested.

justice06rr
January 16, 2014, 10:03 PM
PF9.

It was a jam-o-matic out of the box due to the mags and feed ramps. Only comes with 1mag, and almost impossible to find spares...

bigfatdave
January 17, 2014, 09:20 AM
PF9.

It was a jam-o-matic out of the box due to the mags and feed ramps. Only comes with 1mag, and almost impossible to find spares...

You can order new mags straight from kelTec, actually.

SuedePflow
January 17, 2014, 10:24 AM
Ruger 22/45

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't what I expected after I bought it. I grew to dislike the grip angle. And I hated the process of tearing it down. I didn't get along with the sights either. It did shoot well though. After shooting it only 2 or 3 times in a year, I sold it. It's the only gun I've sold from my personal collection in the past 6 years...

Njal Thorgeirsson
January 17, 2014, 12:27 PM
SAIGA 12

Don't wanna talk about it.

Should have sold it during the gun scare.

I mean it works OKAY now. I just had to put an uncomfortable amount of money into it before I realized that the gun is pretty much a novelty item. It will never be 100% reliable. Should have just gotten a benelli M4 and called it a day.

230RN
January 18, 2014, 02:07 PM
Quote:
PF9.

You can order new mags straight from kelTec, actually.

Been there, did that. No joy. Both new and old PF9 mags did the same thing.

Clean97GTI
January 18, 2014, 05:55 PM
Makarov.
Good gun as far as reliability is concerned but it's heavy for carry and only packs .380 in a world where 9mm is really the minimum if for bullet selection alone.

That and my old FN Forty-nine pistol. Extremely uncomfortable shooting 40cal. Traded it to my dad for an FN model 1910.

OV1kenobi
January 22, 2014, 10:55 PM
Beretta Model 70S in .380 Auto.

A beautiful little pistol that is all blued steel and to me, a wonderful proportion of weight, balance and ergonomics that fits just perfectly in my hand. Problem is, it is extremely finicky about ammunition. CCI FMJ Blazers seem to be the best, but just about everything else frequently fails to feed. Too bad, because I REALLY like this pistol.

Obviously, I will never be able to carry it and trust my life to it like I can my Glock 19 and Smith revolvers. However, I really want to keep this pistol and find a way to make it work; particularly with finding just the right reload combination to make it a plinker and all-around "fun gun." I am even thinking about turning it over to a good gunsmith in the hopes that he/she can perform some sort of magic.

Oh well......

Hokkmike
January 22, 2014, 10:56 PM
Definitely the quality of GSG firearms. Never again.

merrill
January 23, 2014, 12:40 AM
I too bought a Kel Tec PF-9. No problems with accuracy, but a looong trigger reset. If you did not allow the trigger to reset you would get a failure to fire on the next shot. Not good in a desperate situation. Sold it for a loss.

rvanpelt
January 23, 2014, 10:30 PM
My disappointment occurred in the early 80s when I decided to give my oldest son, 12 at the time, my Remington 700 BDL .243 bolt action. I had saved up enough money to go to my "local gun store" 40 miles away and purchase a beautiful brand new Remington .243 Model 4. I got it home and thought I would sight it in. Nothing happened when I chambered a round and pulled the trigger. :fire: I called the store owner, who I had bought several guns from, and he said to bring it in and he would check it out. I'm sure he thought I was joking with him at first. After a close inspection he came to the conclusion that it didn't have a long enough firing pin if it even had a pin at all, as there was no mark on the primers of the rounds that I tried to shoot. He said that he would send it in to the factory with a turn around time of about a month. I explained to him that I had given my gun to my son and deer season was in 2 weeks. He said he had the same gun in a .270 if I would want to swap out the .243. I did just that and have never looked back.. It has been one of the best guns I've ever owned.:)
Rod

If you enjoyed reading about "Biggest Disappointment?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!