Best gun for Red Wasps

PDA

Bravo11
March 29, 2004, 04:46 PM
I had to keep it gun related. I'm going on the war path against red wasps around my place and was curious if anyone had any good ideas. My kids won't hardly go outside in the summer. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Best gun for Red Wasps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KaceCoyote
March 29, 2004, 04:58 PM
how bout those 12 guage rubber sabots, dragon's fire? That powder stuff they use to bust locks? I know engine degreaser and carb cleaner will melt spiders, so maybe that'll do the trick?

Langenator
March 29, 2004, 05:00 PM
Flamenwerfer

waynzwld
March 29, 2004, 05:11 PM
190 gr Sierra MatchKing meets wasp.

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v81/waynzwld/Shooting%20Stuff/Wasp_meets_190gr_Sierra_Matchking_at_2350_fps.jpg

Erich
March 29, 2004, 05:21 PM
A can of Raid Hornet and Wasp Killer, with a .357 snub for yourself in case any get past it (to keep it gun-related). Seriously, though, that Raid Hornet and Wasp Killer will literally knock them out of the sky if just a droplet touches them. I've taken out a couple of Hoosier hornet nests (and many wasp nests) with it, and never been disappointed.

TamThompson
March 29, 2004, 05:42 PM
12-gauge Dragon's Breath, if you don't care about the wooden structure the nest is attached to. :evil:

Otherwise, HotShot Wasp & Hornet killer, in a black can. Blasts 'em from 20 feet away. I use lots of it because I do not like to go anywhere near wasps.

No Trespassing
March 29, 2004, 05:43 PM
I'm my younger, dumber days I found the following very effective:

A few hours shooting out at Jawbone Canyon with my buddies.

Head home for lunch.

Clean the guns and put them away.

Have a few beers and decide to tackle the hornets nests in the oak tree with a lighter and a large can of WD-40.

Insert red applicator straw into WD-40 nozzle.
Point at nest.
Ignite lighter and position in front of applicator tip toward offending nest.
Depress nozzzle.

Pretending you are on the beaches of Iwo Jima with a flamethrower, toast as many hornets as you can until the wife starts screaming at you for acting like a 12 year old.

Raid works great too.

:rolleyes: :D

Richardson
March 29, 2004, 05:53 PM
For wasps....

Go after dark or when it's cold out. Kill them when they won't/can't follow you. Note: if you've been shining a light on the hive for a while, they may get active.

Raid Wasp killer is pretty good. If you need to shoot it far, be sure you get a can that has sufficient range, and dowse the hive.

If it's cold out (there's some temperature where wasps go dormant), you can knock the hive to the ground, and then either stomp it or burn it.... carefully. I'd probably be prepared to run to shelter, just in case.

If they're dirt wasps, pouring a bucket of soapy water could do the trick. I know that a little gasoline in their hole (like a 1/4 cup) will probably make it uninhabitable. Lighting it can result in a 4 foot flame shooting into the air (trust me :D), so be careful. Lighting the gas probably isn't necessary, and could be dangerous.

Richardson

mp40
March 29, 2004, 05:55 PM
WD 40 is great....what a flame thrower

Smoke
March 29, 2004, 06:07 PM
When I was just coming of age and allowed to walk around with my Grandpa while toting a loaded firearm...we happened upon an old outhouse. Long since abandoned it had become home for a rather large Yellow Jacket nest. The door stood open and we could see the nest on the back wall.

My Grandpa said "See if you can knock that nest out". I was carrying his SXS .410. It had barrels longer than oil field pipe (or so it seemed at the time) I got that thing up as best I could and touched it off. That nest evaporated. Along with a not insignificant portion of the back wall. The rest of the wall fell away on the ground. Then the whole structure just sorta started leaning to the right and then folded up on the ground.

I was duly impressed. (...and people wonder why I love guns so much)

Smoke

bogie
March 29, 2004, 06:46 PM
Nuke them from orbit.

Daedalus
March 29, 2004, 07:39 PM
It's the only way to be sure.

Moparmike
March 29, 2004, 08:42 PM
A phaser set on Level 16, pulse setting. If that isnt available, I am sure that a Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40w range will do nicely. :evil: :D

I really want to see what would happen if you put a can of Raid on top of a nest and shot it from a distance. That would be cool, even cooler if it combusts.

I want to see what a Dragon's Breath round would do to a wasp nest doused with Raid at night. :D:D:D

On a more safety-oriented note, how will you make sure that the can doesnt explode when using one as a flame thrower?:confused:

Third_Rail
March 29, 2004, 08:50 PM
As long as the stream of fuel stops before the flame is extinguished, no problems. Don't take the lighter away before stopping the fuel, though, trust me.

4v50 Gary
March 29, 2004, 08:52 PM
Old fashion redneck death. Two guys each with weedwhackers & beer & lotsa spare time.

My brother taught me that. :o

QuickDraw
March 29, 2004, 08:59 PM
A CO2 fire extinguisher.Freezes 'em dead!
Turns the nest into a springtime snowball!:D

QuickDraw

roo_ster
March 29, 2004, 09:14 PM
I I hate wasps, hornets, & bees with the white-hot intensity of 1000 suns.

No Trespassing:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to do foolish things as a youth.

Quickdraw:
That is one fine idea.

I wonder...if an alcohol form a compressed container would do the trick. The alcohol evaporated quickly & would come out cold due to the Gas Laws.

BryanP
March 29, 2004, 09:31 PM
What wonderful timing for this thread to be started. This evening I got out of the shower, grabbed my towel, started drying off and suddenly "Ow! Ow! Ow!" (cursing and swearing omitted). A wasp was in the towel and stung me under the arm. I smashed him but man this stings.

At least it was the arm. I'd really hate to think if I had been towelling off other more ... sensitive parts of my anatomy. :what:

Hutch
March 29, 2004, 09:41 PM
If you wanna kill 'em retail, rather than wholesale, you can use my "carpenter bee" load. Probably overkill on wasps, since carpenter bees are approximately the size of Kaiser rolls.

Speer .44 shot capsule loaded with #9 shot. I use 7 1/2 for carpenter bees, as I don't want to have them turn and charge. I think the additional pellet count is needed, since you need to really need to darken the sky with lead. Load it in a .44spl case over ~ 4gr of Unique. Kills 'em hammer dead, out of a 3" 629 Trail Boss. I understand that longer barrels actually give worse patterns, so if you have a long-tom revolver, you'll have to stalk even closer.

Even tho' I'm from AL, I don't have any good recipes yet.

possenti
March 29, 2004, 09:51 PM
Forget the WD-40. Go to your nearest auto parts store and buy a spray can of Starting Fluid (some people call it ether), and light 'em up.

Big, hot, orange flames - about a 10 to 15 foot range. You won't be disappointed.

Sven
March 29, 2004, 10:34 PM
possent any risk of blow back?

Valkman
March 29, 2004, 10:42 PM
I use to work in gas fields and all the gas well "charthouses" had wasp nests in them. If you catch 'em early they're not active and will sit and watch you - that's when you spray 'em! Don't try it when they're flying around, and don't run out of spray in the middle of an attack. Made a couple of real hasty entrances of my truck when I ran out of spray! :)

sturmruger
March 29, 2004, 11:01 PM
My brother and I used to kill bugs with our BB guns. No we weren't that good of a shot what we would do is take all the BBs out and then find a bug that was stationery. We would pump our little crossmans up to 5 and then shoot the little bug. It you aimed just right it would blow the wings right off!!!

HBK
March 30, 2004, 12:07 AM
A fifth of vodka and a lighter should suffice.

Preacherman
March 30, 2004, 02:25 AM
OK, but... after you've drunk the vodka, what are you going to do with the lighter? :confused:

Black Majik
March 30, 2004, 02:28 AM
Hairspray and lighter.

PMATULEW
March 30, 2004, 08:25 AM
Here it's yellow jackets rather than wasps. :cuss:

Forget WD-40. The new formula is non-flammable aerosal.

Generic carb cleaner or brake cleaner in the big cans is half the cost of brand name pesticides and is very effective with little remaining residue to contaminate the area.

Do carry a spare. Running out of ammo in mid attack is a bad thing. :what:

Stand_Watie
March 30, 2004, 08:53 AM
If they're like the red wasps we have in east texas they're pretty docile. My house is covered in loofah vines in the summer (for shade) and we have a bajillion of red wasps, dirt daubers, honeybees and bumblebees and I leave them alone. It's the paper wasps, yellow jackets and the fire ants that I don't like. My daughter is frightened by the wasps too, but I tell her she might as well get over it, she's not spending her life hiding indoors.

Keep your garden hose handy if you make use of any of the suggestions that involve fire and flammable aerosols:D

tc300mag1
March 30, 2004, 09:46 AM
Wd-40 doesnt work as good as flame thrower anymore but Carb Cleaner that will do the job.. course raid would be on the safer side

12-34hom
March 30, 2004, 10:01 AM
Putting a naked flame in front of ANY aerosol can and spraying the contents out is a VERY BAD idea.

Most stinging insects will leave you alone if not aggravated. Some of the ideas posted are a definite form of aggravation.

12-34hom.

Hutch
March 30, 2004, 10:16 AM
12-34hom, you could take the fun out of a parade! :p

Gump
March 30, 2004, 10:17 AM
Enlist the aid of the appropriate Super Hero:

Will Fennell
March 30, 2004, 10:27 AM
I have a terrible problem with wasp's around my home also......while commercial pesticide sprays work best, one day I ran out of RAID in the middle of a wasp killing fest, and starting looking in the basement for a substitute...

One quick squirt of GUN SCRUBBER completely degreases a wasp! They just die immediately.......they turn kinda opaque off white, and become very brittle:cool:

Bravo11
March 30, 2004, 11:20 AM
Stand Watie, I looked on the internet and the Red Wasps they showed in some areas look different than what I'm talking about. These things are larger than paper wasps and are a light copper color.

They are very agressive and seem to go after certain bright colored clothing. I seem to be very prone to attack as they will sting me if I go within 10 feet of a nest.
It seems like Raid, Black Flag, etc used to kill on contact but for the past couple of years that stuff has been -shoot the nest and run like heck. I dont know if the formula has been toned down or the wasps are mutating.
I try to knock down every nest I see but their population stays about the same. My pest control guy is clueless. Is there a type of bird I could build houses for that eat wasps, simular to Martins that control mosquitos?
Oh, and one other thing, the wasp trap I bought from the hardware store has a large nest in it, they love it.
Thanks all.

Zedicus
March 30, 2004, 11:37 AM
When the Killier bees invaded my hometown in C.A. the local wannabe marine nut (the loon used to go around town in a fake USMC Generals uniform, Korea/Vietnam Era Helmet & jeep) took em out with a flamethrower he had just rebuilt...:evil:

to keep it gun related the guy had a Sherman Tank in his back yard that he was rebuilding with fully functioning weaponry (Turret & .50 MG...).

The only reason I classed the guy as a Loon was his Behavior & Dress code, He'd never been in the millitary, but tried to pretend that he was somekind of General in Nam or Korea most of the time.

Snowdog
March 30, 2004, 11:44 AM
When I was a kid, you could still buy wasp and hornet spray that promised an accurate 25' oil-based hornet-killing stream. The stuff worked great, but if you took a match to that stream, you had an honest-to-goodness mini flamethrower. Nothing beats a 25' arc of continuous fire to destroy a hornet's nest.

You can still buy the stuff, but I guess it's all water-based now.

If you fail at all your attempts, there's no shame in hiring the professionals. :D

Hornets don't stand a chance.... Roma Victor!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/pc229494087ed86e6a1ff8389ebad6ab0/f92dd364.jpg

Harry Tuttle
March 30, 2004, 12:11 PM
the Victor Yellow jacket traps work really well and they are 2 for 8 bucks at Home depot
Whatever is in the lure mixture draws wasps like a magnet

i kinda like this list:
http://www.santarosa.edu/lifesciences/victrap.htm

Offense: Eradication Methods

There are four basic types of offensive tactics that can be taken to eradicate Yellow Jackets:

1. trap workers
2. trap queens
3. nest destruction
4. smash them one by one

Suggested Program

Begin by setting apple juice traps in March and April to capture queens.
NOTE!! Yellow Jackets seem to be in very low abundance._ However, every one you see in March is a queen._ For every queen eradicated, there will be 5000 less workers in August!_ Set traps 100 feet apart in a perimeter around the area; 5 feet above the ground.
Rebait traps every two weeks with fresh apple juice.
Continue trapping until May 15.

If you are very careful, set out some poison bait dispensers every 100 feet.
Use canned mackerel (3 ounces of bait to 1/2 teaspoon of Knoxout poison).
NOTE!! Keep poison away from children, pets and wildlife!! Traps must be suspended at least 5 feet above ground._ Use only approved, ecologically safe dispensers.These dispensers can be set fresh every 4 days through June and July.

At height of Yellow Jacket season, August through October, use apple juice traps again. Change juice every week until November.

Moparmike
March 30, 2004, 12:13 PM
If you are in a pinch, use Formula 409. A couple were in the house and it was the first thing handy. Just douse them, and they get real slow then die. And they are clean to boot.:D

Pappy John
March 30, 2004, 01:15 PM
But, if I kill them all, what will I do with the badmitten raquet kept handy out on the deck. Dicing wasps is a favorite summer sport, though it usually winds down around August unless I leave a few go as breeding stock. :p

KaceCoyote
March 30, 2004, 01:20 PM
yaknow a redrider would probably do the job if you had the patience to just peg the entrance over and over..

Azrael256
March 30, 2004, 02:26 PM
My brother and I found a nest of some kind of wasp behind this wood plank covering the top of the door jam on a sliding glass door. We used a nice high-pressure spray to ice the ones flying around outside in hopes that the others would get the message and leave town, but to no avail. So, at high moon, we went outside, stuck the little sprayer tube right behind the plank, and let loose. The wasps came out by the zillions, flew about 8 feet, and dropped dead. We had this arc of dead insects around the door. Pretty gross, actually. It wasn't some fancy expensive spray, just the $1.95 can of spray from home depot. We would have prefered some kind of flamethrower, but the parents weren't too hot about us burning down the house. Pansies.

Dad used to fill a plastic (I cannot emphasize PLASTIC enough) pressure sprayer with a water/gasoline mixture. We didn't light it up, but the gasolione seemed to kill hornets pretty effectively.

I would also like to try a WP shell on them. Find a nice big nest hanging from a tree somewhere, and pop off a 90mm round at it. That would be REALLY funny to watch.

Sydwaiz
March 30, 2004, 03:17 PM
Supersoaker+propane torch+duct tape. (sorry, don't have a pic but imagine the flame thrower from Aliens)
Fill with diesel.
Ignite torch, pump, burn!:D

Atticus
March 30, 2004, 04:57 PM
The vodka's not a bad idea....forget the lighter though. Dropping the body temp of a wasp with alcohol will usually kill it. There is an aerosol product called "Wasp Freeze" that will drop them in a heartbeat.
http://www.pestproducts.com/wasp_freeze.htm
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page1354.html

Signed, The Former Man from Orkin

dustind
March 30, 2004, 10:16 PM
I have used a paintball gun. Unscrew the barrel, just air, no paint. The cuncussion will kill all of the bugs in a small radius. I would not suggest this for wasps though.

Phyphor
March 30, 2004, 11:17 PM
I SO hate wasps. I'm quite allergic to the fricking things, so anything short of a LAWS doesn't seem like overkill to me....

Seriously, I HAVE found that brake cleaner / carb cleaner works alright....:evil:

joebogey
March 30, 2004, 11:20 PM
12-34hom

{Most stinging insects will leave you alone if not aggravated. Some of the ideas posted are a definite form of aggravation.}

It's pretty obvious that you're not allergic to bees.
I am and they scare me to death.
But the worst part is, I can stand in a crowd of a thousand people, and if you p*ss off one single bee, he will track me down in that crowd and proceed to make my anatomy swell unlike anything you have ever seen.
I once had to go without a shoe for 2 weeks because a honey bee got between my toes while walkin barefoot. LOL

By the way guys, they can be killed with a ballbat and give you a great workout at the same time. You'll also learn to watch your swing...or else
Don't ask how I know this.

antipop
March 30, 2004, 11:54 PM
We had a wasp infestation at my friends a few years back, and his mom dispatched us to clear out the nest. Being the forward-thinking, responsible young men we were, we decided to take the best route possible- dump 500 paintballs on the nest.

We learned two things:
1. There's more than 500 wasps in a nest, assuming we had the superhuman aim we bragged about, and nailed every single shot.
2. Wasp stings make your face swell. Bad.

Later that week, while stroking our swollen cheeks and contemplating the fate of the free world that was his backyard, he had a genius idea. Foolproof. We ought to use fireworks.

Again, we failed, and inadvertently sent out invitation for the hive to have a poison-planting party in our flesh. But this time, we were wise. We were veterans of the hell known as Tyler's porch. It was time for the big guns. Raid.

Boy, does that stuff work wonders. Kills 'em quick, and little risk of kamikaze buggers piling into you. Unless you like pain, use this stuff.

Treylis
March 31, 2004, 12:32 AM
Pretending you are on the beaches of Iwo Jima with a flamethrower, toast as many hornets as you can until the wife starts screaming at you for acting like a 12 year old.

Haha, yes. The next time I burn something, I'll be sure to use that fantasy.

Joe Demko
March 31, 2004, 09:57 AM
Saw a guy on TV who used a shop vac. Sucked 'em right up. He then froze them and sold them to a company that extracted the stingers to use the venom for various medical research purposes. Sounds like a plan to me. Suck up and destroy the workers. Off to the burning barrel with the nest. No more problem.

Or you could just use a can of Raid.

Paco
March 31, 2004, 10:18 AM
I'm surrounded by cowards...

-Has anyone seen "BLind Fury". Remember the blind fella with the sword cane/staff thingy. Remember the wasp scene and what happened to the wasp? And that was a BLIND guy with a sword! Imagine what you could do with one, or even TWO working eyes and a sword! That is how a man confronts his enemies: head on with a blade!

...and a back-up .357snubby:evil:

-Blind Paco

Matt G
March 31, 2004, 01:48 PM
When I was about 7 years old, my father started to put up a flagpole bracket on the corner of the eave of the house over the porch, and was attacked by the wasps that came out from their nest, under the shingles there. Dad went inside and came back out and began to work atop the chair he was on, again. Again, out came the wasps swarming him. "POW! POW! POW!", and dad had just dropped three of them with his 32 kit gun S&W 2" revolver. I was MOST impressed. My father, the serious pistolero.

It was YEARS before he admitted to me that he had run inside and stuffed the revolver full of CCI ratshot loads. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Best gun for Red Wasps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!