Made Ingots

PDA

rodwha
December 26, 2013, 12:08 PM
I bought a 2.5 qt cast iron pot to melt down the bigger chunks of lead piping I had bought. While stirring it around a bit I kept finding odd things like what seems to be glass. I suppose I should assume this stuff was inside of the piping? Maybe they did it to add weight at the recycle center?

If you enjoyed reading about "Made Ingots" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alsask
December 26, 2013, 12:37 PM
It was probably scale/mineral deposits that built up over the years inside the pipe, seen similar stuff float up as well. I found old lead pipe to be the softest scrap lead source so far.

rodwha
December 26, 2013, 12:50 PM
I found 2 things that looked like washers, and something that looked like a fat but short nail too.

The pipes have a lot of white crusty powdery stuff too. I bang 'em on the ground a bit before I use them.

swathdiver
December 26, 2013, 06:36 PM
I found a silver chain while smelting some of mine today. All sorts of crud floats to the top to be burned and then skimmed off.

72coupe
December 26, 2013, 08:17 PM
Whenever I smelt wheel weights I am always amazed at the amount of dirt in them.

LT.Diver
December 26, 2013, 08:35 PM
Do you guys use flux when you melt? I have used some, not sure which brand and it worked great for helping to float the impurities. Then I heard about using bee's wax. As it happens my friend keeps bees and he gave me big chunks of honey comb. It worked as well as the commercial stuff and it smelled great!
I usually melt wheel weights into ingots and then add a bit of linotype to them for a fairly hard cast bullet.

rodwha
December 26, 2013, 09:04 PM
In the beginning I added cast BP bullets that had lube in the grooves. But with this large pipe chunks I've just tossed them in the pot and waited.

StrawHat
December 27, 2013, 06:51 AM
I always add flux to whatever I smelt. I try to get all the dirt and crud out before they go into ingots. Fluxing several times helps to this end. I also flux before I cast to get anything I missed out off my casting pots and molds. Flux is cheap, my molds are precious. Same with the barrel of the firearm. I do not want a piece of crud I missed scouring a new groove in my barrel.

72coupe
December 27, 2013, 09:24 AM
A thorough mixing while fluxing helps get all the crud out.

rodwha
December 27, 2013, 10:10 AM
I do have some more beeswax. But I'd prefer to keep it for making lube with. What kind of flux is is a good option?

StrawHat
December 27, 2013, 03:34 PM
Sawdust works, parrafin, crayons, bullet lube, anything with carbon in it. Even a dry pine stick will work if you use it to stir the pot. It is the charred carbon that does the fluxing.

rodwha
December 27, 2013, 06:33 PM
I have tons of Gulf wax!

Zeke/PA
December 27, 2013, 06:44 PM
When I made ingots from scrap lead I fluxed with Bee's Wax with excellent results. Lately, and for the past 15 years or so I've been using PURE lead gleaned from 1" thick stuff that my company used as a base for precision scale dampners. The lead suddlenly became a big "no-no" and I brought home the "condemed "stuff. At LEAST 200 lbs. The lead casts well for all my black powder needs.

Oldnamvet
December 27, 2013, 08:21 PM
It is amazing things we have used for years suddenly become toxic beyond all comprehension.

J-Bar
December 27, 2013, 09:04 PM
A $3 block of canning paraffin cut up into fingernail sized flakes will flux a whole lot of lead. Like others, I use it liberally for both smelting and casting.

Noz
December 28, 2013, 07:12 PM
When I smelt wheel weights I work outside of course and I float about 1/2" of clay based kitty litter on top of the molten metal. The litter absorbs a lot of the smoke, oils and dirt making a cleaner melt. Flux liberally with your choice of material.

Jaymo
December 29, 2013, 12:13 AM
I use Marvellux, because it seems to last forever.
There are lots of things that work. Most have been mentioned here and I can't remember the ones that haven't.

If you enjoyed reading about "Made Ingots" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!