How do you make a leather sling look worn?

PDA

carbine85
December 30, 2013, 09:10 AM
The only sling I can find is a reproduction. I want to make it look worn and stressed. Do you guys have any technique in doing this?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you make a leather sling look worn?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MtnCreek
December 30, 2013, 09:22 AM
Use it as a flank cinch and ride several miles in tall, wet grass.

Sorry. :) I'm curious too.

LAGS
December 30, 2013, 09:26 AM
@ Carbine85.
You just have to Work the leather.
And what I mean is to flex and rub it across come thing like a wood surface.
On a sling you would use something like a saw horse or a wood pole and start by wrapping the sling over the surface of the horse, with the rough side of the leather against the wood and work it back and forth rubbing and stretching it at the same time.
Some leathers do well if they are first Dampened with a little water and gently worked again both damp and then when dried out.
Baseball glove treatment also helps, as will leather products like Saddle soaps.

rodinal220
December 30, 2013, 10:00 AM
Use it??

sage5907
December 30, 2013, 12:48 PM
I have leather slings on all of my rifles. The others have given you suggestions as to how to make a sling look used, but I have a suggestion to improve the texture of the leather. If you give a leather sling a coat of SnoSeal and rub the product into the sling so that none is on the surface it really improves the looks of the sling and protects it during use. SnoSeal is used on leather boots to waterproof them and to make them soft.

beag_nut
December 30, 2013, 04:06 PM
Anybody remember "Spin & Marty", when they "aged" a pair of jeans?

krs
January 6, 2014, 12:59 PM
I've stained them with spirit dyes (alcohol based stains) then soaked them in oil, used motor oil even, worked the leather until it was flimsy, used a philips screwdriver to enlarge and oblong the holes.

Brand new sling that looks like it was on Tarawa in 1942.

You just can't respect the newness of the thing, at all.

model4006
January 6, 2014, 02:48 PM
wear it

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you make a leather sling look worn?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!