Mag ''rattle'' .... BHP/FEG

PDA

P95Carry
March 29, 2004, 08:58 PM
Just trawling for some thoughts.

I got some after market 10 rnd mags for BHP and FEG, some while back .. IIRC they were listed as ''Argentinian'' ..... anyways, they have the letters ''KRD'' on the rubber base.

The odd thing is, they seem to function OK but ... when containing 10, or nine rounds they rattle!! Eight rounds or fewer ... no sound. The Browning original mag does not show this.

I have checked these mags ... follower is free for whole travel.. it seems ... springs are good and no excess lube. In other words they seem normal.

So - functional but rattly!!! I guess the rattle bugs me and so want to try and work out what is causing it .. obviously at the 9 round or full condition, there is a space being left .... that's disconcerting even if they appear to perform.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mag ''rattle'' .... BHP/FEG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HIPOWER
March 29, 2004, 09:02 PM
I have a few of the very same mags that do the very same thing! It must be something about the geometry of the magazine that leaves a few rounds loose even when the spring is fully compressed. Yeah, I scratched my head over this one too, but can't figure it out.

Anyway, the mags feed and function just fine, so I use them for range mags. On the rare occasions that I carry my FEG or BHP I just use the factory mags that don't rattle.

Even with the rattle, those Argentine mags are a bargain.

By the way, how do you like you Ruger P97? I just got one and so far I think it's the best 45 I own.

BHPshooter
March 29, 2004, 09:05 PM
I don't know why that would happen, but I've got a mag or two that will rattle when there is an even number of rounds in it (ie - 12, 10, etc). Strange, no?

Wes

P95Carry
March 29, 2004, 09:17 PM
Wes .. strange indeed!!! Considering the numerology . just the ''evens'' .. danged if I could even begin to explain that one!:p

Hipower ..... aha ... well, reassuring I guess to hear of similar .... and that you too are puzzled! :D ... I wonder if anyone has a solution, as such!By the way, how do you like you Ruger P97? I like it a lot ... the ''feel'' of course is all but as P95 ... just ''barks'' different :D .... I find it a good shooter and so far totally reliable. I guess I need to feed it again soon cos it has probably only had three or so hundred rounds thru it .. it has to be gettin hungry again!:p

IMO that gun is (tho fugly!) - built like a brick latrine .... and should outlast me by decades!:D

rich2u
March 30, 2004, 12:33 PM
My CZ100 10 rds mags rattle when they have rds in them.Really scrathing our heads over that one. You'd think having the spring under tension would make everything tight. :banghead:

BrokenArrow
March 30, 2004, 03:38 PM
I've had factory mags from Beretta, SIG, HK, and FN rattle/not rattle when loaded at different amounts. Some rattled in the gun but not out, out but not in... they all worked fine, rattles and all. ;)

Risasi
March 30, 2004, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I've experienced it on virtually all of my Hi Powers, but it just seems to be particular mag with particular guns. Besides I never cared much about the noise, in fact found it a bit reassuring. Subconsciously I always HOPED the bad guys could hear it. Kind of like a sidewinder wagging his tail, you know.... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Mag ''rattle'' .... BHP/FEG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!