New S&W 929

PDA

TanklessPro
December 31, 2013, 12:32 AM
http://www.guns.com/2013/12/30/introducing-smith-wesson-929-eight-shot-9mm-revolver-video/

FYI.....
Smith has introduces the new 929; a SS,6.5 inch barrel, 8 shot, 9mm revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "New S&W 929" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
December 31, 2013, 12:45 AM
This is great news for 9mm revolver fans. (but that's not me) I'm a little confused as to why they are releasing a full size 9mm revolver with a very long barrel especially from the PC. It looks like a N frame revolver which big. It's going to be very expensive too since it's from the PC!

Strange IMO...

TennJed
December 31, 2013, 03:05 AM
This is great news for 9mm revolver fans. (but that's not me) I'm a little confused as to why they are releasing a full size 9mm revolver with a very long barrel especially from the PC. It looks like a N frame revolver which big. It's going to be very expensive too since it's from the PC!

Strange IMO...
I agree. I am not against 9mm revolvers. I can understand their appeal. I also figure S&W knows more than I do about what will make them money, but that is a big gun. If I am going that big it will be a big bore. A 9mm revolver makes more sense to me in a packable or a CCW gun

ArchAngelCD
December 31, 2013, 03:17 AM
I agree. I am not against 9mm revolvers. I can understand their appeal. I also figure S&W knows more than I do about what will make them money, but that is a big gun. If I am going that big it will be a big bore. A 9mm revolver makes more sense to me in a packable or a CCW gun
I agree, something similar to the M940 would probably be a better choice or even a 2" or 3" K frame.

gpurp
December 31, 2013, 04:02 AM
Now if they'd done this in 10mm then I'd be interested.

19-3Ben
December 31, 2013, 09:39 AM
A 9mm revolver makes more sense to me in a packable or a CCW gun
Absolutely.

I just hope that it sells well. If it's a flop, it'll be just one more reason for S&W to say "we produced it, but people just don't buy 9mm revolvers, so we're not going to make any more."

It does seem to me, that, as mentioned above, something in a small or mid frame carry piece would have been the more logical choice. But hey, perhaps the competition gun market is strong enough that they hope it will sell to that crowd.

460Kodiak
December 31, 2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I don't get it. The 8 shot 627 can do everything this gun can and more it seems in my mind.

A titanium cylinder on a gun clearly meant for range and competition use? Ported? It's not like a 9mm revolver is going to kick hard, expecially with a long bbl. I don't get this one at all.

A concealable sized one is a lot more logical in my mind. And I agree, a 10mm one would be cool.

Sock Puppet
December 31, 2013, 11:20 AM
Strange, the video has been removed.

MagnumDweeb
December 31, 2013, 11:22 AM
Swing and a miss to me unless this is purely for competitive shooters. S&W revolvers are considerably higher priced than Ruger for reasons that make little sense to me (their receivers are forged in Brazil, Ruger casts in Arizona), but people keep buying them. It would have made more sense to me to have made a Model 15 style in 9mm with moon clips setup to handle a 124 grain pill moving at 1200 fps for good accuracy at twenty yards.

It would have allowed for a good HD gun and a possible CCW gun. But instead they go with an N-Frame setup for competitions.

Makes me believe that S&W is no longer the producer of common revolvers for the common man, they've ceded that to Ruger which is fine for me, now they are about building high-priced revovlers and their economy line of semi-autos in polymer. I thought about buying a Shield .40 but now I'm just going to get get a .40 XD sub-compact.

RussB
December 31, 2013, 11:36 AM
It is first and foremost a "game" gun. An 8-shot 9mm N frame will be just about perfect for USPSA revolver shooters, perhaps ICORE too

19-3Ben
December 31, 2013, 11:47 AM
A titanium cylinder on a gun clearly meant for range and competition use?

Perhaps reducing rotating mass to help the trigger pull? It's the only thing I can think of to justify a titanium cylinder on a steel Nframe.

Onmilo
December 31, 2013, 11:50 AM
Can't get any kind of excited about S&Ws cheapened up, overpriced, "Safety First" modern revolvers, no matter what caliber they make it in, Sorry...

Shear_stress
December 31, 2013, 12:29 PM
S&W revolvers are considerably higher priced than Ruger for reasons that make little sense to me (their receivers are forged in Brazil, Ruger casts in Arizona)

Where did you hear that? S&W forges their receivers in Springfield, Mass.

460Kodiak
December 31, 2013, 12:35 PM
Perhaps reducing rotating mass to help the trigger pull? It's the only thing I can think of to justify a titanium cylinder on a steel Nframe.

I suppose that's possible. Seems unlikely though, but I have no better theory.

Barry the Bear
December 31, 2013, 12:47 PM
I dont know why there is even an appeal in a 9mm revolver when we have the .38/357 revolvers. The reason they give for it doesnt make sense either,out of that long of a barrel the .357 is still a better option.

Barr
December 31, 2013, 01:11 PM
929 revolver would be ideal for quick reloads and ejection during action pistol shooting. Loading with a moonclip and shorter cartridge for easier ejection/loading, its why .45 ACP is preferred over .357 Magnum or .45 LC. I wouldn't be surprised if modified at some point in the future for the .38 Super to make major power factor (either factory or custom).

BlindJustice
December 31, 2013, 03:07 PM
I wonder how long it will be before
some owner of a 929 gets the cylinder modified
for 9x21, 9x23 or 9mm Win Mag.

R-

horsemen61
December 31, 2013, 03:14 PM
I am not a fan I don't want a 6.5 inch 8 shot 9mm I'd rather have a small snubbie that I can carry

msnden
December 31, 2013, 09:25 PM
I've aways had an interest in a 9mm revolver, if it were not a Taurus I think I would purchase one. jmop
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2011/09/13/taurus-905-review-9mm-revolver/

If you enjoyed reading about "New S&W 929" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!