1851 Pietta nickel and gold - wedge problem

PDA

Ranger Roberts
January 1, 2014, 07:37 PM
Hey guys, I have a question about a 1851 Pietta. For Christmas my wife bought me a beautiful nickel and gold Pietta from Cabelas. I have shot a few black powder rifles/pistols over the years but this is the first BP revolver I have owned.

For the life of me I can't get this @#$@#*^*@# barrel wedge out. I have brass punches, I have a good mallet. I don't want to treat this thing like one of my AK's, the engraving is too nice to mess up. On the wedge there is a lip of some sort. It looks as though I should push it down with a screwdriver or a wedge, then pop the barrel wedge out with a whack from a mallet. Am I correct with this? I don't want to scratch this little lady up.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Edit - Mods: Sorry if this should be in black powder, I didn't know where it was best placed.

If you enjoyed reading about "1851 Pietta nickel and gold - wedge problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ranger Roberts
January 1, 2014, 09:22 PM
I got it. Any tips on cleaning this thing would be appreciated. Feel free to close this thread.

Rom828
January 4, 2014, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the world of BP revolvers. Head on over to the blackpowder forum and search will be your friend. I have a few and my preferred cleaner is hot, soapy water with Ballistol and bore butter as lubes and preservative.

Jim K
January 4, 2014, 11:27 PM
I usually use a wood hammer (actually a crab hammer) on revolvers with a nice finish to prevent marring the wedge or the barrel. The lip is part of a spring that keeps the wedge from coming all the way out and being lost. It should just push in when you drive out the wedge, but if you can push it down with another piece of wood (popsicle stick) that might be better.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "1851 Pietta nickel and gold - wedge problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!