pelts

PDA

taliv
January 2, 2014, 08:29 PM
what do pelts/furs go for these days?

is there a market?

If you enjoyed reading about "pelts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sol
January 2, 2014, 09:29 PM
I'm sure there is a market though it's probably small.

Most products that demand fur and leather get their material from farms.

Martens, minks and chinchilla are all farm bred anymore.

If you want to sell like coyote, deer or fox fur you may want to try your hand at local specialty shows. The only time I see full pelts are at Pow wows, renaissance fairs and what have you. I've seen vendors trying to sell full deer pelts (minus head/face) for $250 and coyote face leather for $30. I don't know if they sold though.

witchhunter
January 2, 2014, 09:53 PM
Bobcat is through the roof, 500 being the average I have heard lately. One big one was sold for 1100 by a guy I know. Coyotes are 30-60 lately.

Edventures
January 2, 2014, 09:55 PM
check Hardings magazine "fur,fish and game" they always posted fur prices when I was trapping. but my local buyers write the check.
there is a market last I heard coon were up to twenty for prime.
but don't quote me on that.

WYcoyote
January 2, 2014, 10:36 PM
Depends alot on size, prime, condition, and location taken.
Good quality fur is selling for a pretty darn good price, as it was last year.
Witchhunters bobcat prices are accurate for my area, High end coyote and fox can top $100, average grades $40 to $70. Good coon to $20 as stated is also spot on.
I did hear it might be slowing a bit, I will find out when I take mine in.

taliv
January 2, 2014, 10:53 PM
$500 for bobcat?? wow

WYcoyote
January 2, 2014, 11:09 PM
$500 for bobcat?? wow
I know of several that reached $1100 last year.

Patocazador
January 3, 2014, 03:27 PM
We have quite a few bobcats in Fla. but the warm temps don't make for good fur.

MtnCreek
January 3, 2014, 04:53 PM
trapperman.com has some good information. THR poster JimmyRayThompson probably has some good info for pelts in the Southeast.

1911 guy
January 4, 2014, 05:51 AM
Looks like prices are on the way up again, then. I quit trapping coyotes when prices fell and wasn't worth my time. If I can get 50 bucks for a good one now, I may have to put a line out again.

rule303
January 4, 2014, 05:54 PM
Furs can be valuable, if they are prime and handled properly. To get top dollar, they need to be prime, skinned, fleshed, dried and stretched to the proper dimensions. Bullet damaged pelts have little to no value, which is why most furbearers are trapped. Animals from different parts of the country have different values also, southern Raccoons for example are only worth 1/3 to 1/2 of a thicker furred, larger northern coon. trapperman.com and predatormasters.com have a lot of info if you are interested in taking some fur.

Starter52
January 4, 2014, 06:06 PM
Raw furs are strong this year. International buyers are driving up prices. Russians and Chinese consumers love American furs and have the money to buy them. I expect a good season.

buck460XVR
January 4, 2014, 06:20 PM
Fur prices and demand are up this year. I heard folks are gettin' $20 a piece for muskrat and even coyote is worth bring home.

juk
January 4, 2014, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure on the prices here, but there is an old feller with a beat up john boat that has over 1500 traps on the Tennessee River around Guntersville. He focuses on beaver and muskrat. He must do alright because he is out there every day, rain or shine, checking his traps and setting them. We have no shortage of Muskrat or Beaver around here.

If you enjoyed reading about "pelts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!