Got to shoot a silenced .22 today

PDA

Steve in PA
March 30, 2004, 01:18 AM
It was a Ruger 22/45 and sounded no louder than a CO2 pellet gun. There is a guy in the town where I work who is a gun nut. I've signed his forms and fingerprint cards for full-auto stuff, etc.

He stopped by today to pick up an accident report and asked if I wanted to check out his latest addition to his collection.

They took a bull barrel Ruger, moved the front sight back about an inch, threaded the end of the barrel to accept the silencer and included a threaded cap for use without it.

The only thing that looks different from a regular Ruger is the placement of the front sight. We screwed on the silencer and went into the field behind my station and took a couple of shots into a dirt bank. Very slick!! :D

I've got a Ruger MKII and was thinking about converting it, but I don't know if I can afford $185.00 to have the sight moved and barrel threaded, $350.00 for the silencer and another $200.00 for Uncle Sam :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Got to shoot a silenced .22 today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WhoKnowsWho
March 30, 2004, 02:05 AM
Heck, for $185 you could probably dig around and get a Walther P22 for a bit more, it has that threaded end that should be able to easily take a silencer. At least it looks like it could.

Wildalaska
March 30, 2004, 03:13 AM
All ya gots to do with the Walther P22 is screw the silencer on!

One of my future projects is to supress a Walther P99...and also a Nagant revolver

WildbutfirstmysniperrifleAlaska

DigMe
March 30, 2004, 09:41 AM
I'm sure Bill Ruger would have a fit knowing that his guns were being turned into silenced killing machines if he were still alive. ;)

:evil:

brad cook

45King
March 30, 2004, 09:50 AM
I once had an opportunity to shoot two different suppressed pistols on the same day.

The first was one of the H&K SOCOM .45's, which had been converted to .45 Super. The can was an AWC, regulated for Federal 230 Hydra-Shok. Pretty cool. Still noisy, but way less so than without the suppressor.

The other was also an AWC product, the Amphibian. This is a Ruger MKII .22LR that has an integral 10" (IIRC) suppressor/barrel.
Even with high vel. and standard vel. loads, it was very, very quiet, and accurate, too.
With subsonic loads.....let's put it this way: if you could lock the action, you could shoot it in a crowded elevator and sneeze at the same time, and no one would hear it. Almost silent. I was impressed. I'd like to have one of them with a nice red dot scope just for taking out squirrels around my house. I'd load it with CCI's CB Long ammo. It would not cycle the action, but that's OK; it would serve the purpose perfectly.

Daedalus
March 30, 2004, 11:00 AM
A little while ago I got to shoot a 10/22 with what looked like an integral silencer. Hearing the bullets actually *thunk* into the backstop was awesome.

4v50 Gary
March 30, 2004, 11:28 AM
I know the Mosin-Nagant revolver cylinder moves forward against the forcing cone but how effective is the gas seal? Can the M-N revolver be (once tax stamp is paid) effective suppressed? M-T mines wanna no.:confused:

Steve in PA
March 30, 2004, 01:10 PM
This guy did mention the part about the Walther, and i may have to look into that :D

When I went through the LEO Academy we had a H&K dealer show up with all sorts of toys, full-auto stuff, silenced stuff......got to shoot them all :D

The silenced stuff was great, nothing more than a pffffft......and hearing the action cycle.

PATH
March 30, 2004, 01:44 PM
Sorry! I like the loud bangs!:D :neener:

Quartus
March 30, 2004, 02:08 PM
Me too, Path, but "to everything there is a season". Pest control around the house comes to mind, or shooting in your basement.

I'd like to have one of them with a nice red dot scope just for taking out squirrels around my house. I'd load it with CCI's CB Long ammo.

CB caps in a long rifle barrel sound like one of those old Whamo Air-Blasters. Just a kind of PHOOMP. Not hard on the ears at all.

SLCDave
March 30, 2004, 05:20 PM
It's pretty sweet, huh? My cousin has one that he uses on his Wather P22 and a Ruger 10/22. Pretty much all you hear is the click of the slide as it goes through the motions. Even my wife was impressed.

Archie
March 30, 2004, 05:32 PM
I lucked into an invite to the Heckler and Koch "road show" and shot an MP5SD.

It was very comfortable on the ears, even in full auto.

Kestrel
March 30, 2004, 05:54 PM
I've wondered about getting a supressor many times. My concerns are, do you get tired of the novelty? After the headache of tax and paperwork, I wonder if it keeps being fun after a while. Also, being registered as having one, are you given more attention in any federal databases?

Also, if you want to take it to another state, don't you have to mail a "request" to the ATF to transport it?

Steve

Kodiak AK
March 30, 2004, 06:24 PM
There is an ad in every SGN for supressed Ruger MKII's. They run around $500 or so plus the paper work . That isn't that bad of a deal for an integrated supressor.

Hkmp5sd
March 30, 2004, 06:34 PM
I wonder if it keeps being fun after a while.
Yep! :)

sturmruger
March 30, 2004, 06:52 PM
I am really seriously thinking about applying for a suppressor. The problem is going to be my local Chief of Police. I don't think he will be willing to sign the form authorizing me to own a NFA piece. I guess you never know until you try. I did by a clothes drier from the Chief, but other then that don’t really know the guy.

sachsr1
April 25, 2004, 02:12 PM
here's a couple of suppressor tips.
First take a look at the p22/tac65 combo fron www.tacticalinc.com it's only $400.
Second if your CLEO won't sign off you can form a corporation, and bypass the CLEO signoff. If you get a couple of friends join the corp, and you are all corp. "officers" (i.e. pres., vice pres.) you can all posess the class 3 items. The NFA process takes 3-6 months, so you'll have plenty of time to have barrels threaded:D

ksnecktieman
April 25, 2004, 02:52 PM
sachsr1???? This looks like the first post of a troll..... Can you back that up with a link to the law, or at least the name of the law where it is included?

cordex
April 25, 2004, 03:02 PM
ksnecktieman,
He's right. Corporations are exempt from the CLEO signoff.
The downside is, when the corporation dissolves, if you want to keep the guns, you've got to get them transferred to you (which means paying the tax and getting that CLEO signoff.).

sachsr1
April 25, 2004, 03:09 PM
I've been looking at where I saw the corp. thing, but I can't find it. I live in AZ, so CLEO sign-off isn't a big deal for the most part. Sorry you thought I was trolling, but I don't think the info I gave was anywhere near that. First off you still have to deal with the AFT and a Class 3 dealer neither of which would transfer the item without proper paperwork. Second anyone who wanted to form a corp. would have to investigate if further, and would find out all of the legal hoops they had to jump through. BTW the corp route also bypasses the fingerprints, and photos, and I've heard that speeds up the ATF approval.

edit. If the CLEO won't sign sometimes judges and county attorneys can sign it.

Telperion
April 25, 2004, 03:15 PM
It's no troll, ks. Corporate ownership of NFA items a well-known "loophole". You don't even buddies; a single-person corporation works just fine.

sachsr1
April 25, 2004, 03:27 PM
here's some CLEO sign-off info

http://www.mp5.net/info/itmgwi.htm

this one is from this site

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63143&highlight=supressed

feedthehogs
April 25, 2004, 06:14 PM
The P22 setup works great. You will need an adaptor bushing as the barrel threads are too small.
Walther designed a suppressor for it but it will never be imported.

This AA suppressor designed for my M-16 works great on the P22. I use CCI mini mags with just a slight puff of sound pressure and no feed or cycle problems.

I have designed a pair snap on sights for the suppressor that work well with the low recoil. They are out being coated black.

The same goes for full 5.56 loads also. Just a slight puff of sound pressure.

http://www.sacfla.org/DSCF0002.JPG

cratz2
April 26, 2004, 01:01 PM
Hate to ask a silly question, but how is it that sachsr1 has posted three times on this thread, yet his post count only shows as '2'?

:confused:

cratz2
April 26, 2004, 01:03 PM
Feedthehogs, can you sight that Walther around the can? Looks like the supressor is taller than the sights. :uhoh:

M67
April 26, 2004, 04:31 PM
cratz2, I noticed that too and thought maybe he'd go gangsta style, tough guys don't need no stinkin' sights. :D

Then I looked at feedthehogs' post again and noticed there are actually words there next to the por... I mean picture. Look at the third paragraph. ;)

45King: ... a Ruger MKII .22LR ... if you could lock the action With mine I just put my thumb behind the bolt and hold it closed. I wouldn't try that with a .948 Macho-Mag though...

Wildalaska
April 26, 2004, 05:23 PM
Heres an Outback by Gentech we mounted on a Ruger. The first shot is with Suppressor Mounted, the second is the thread cap. Notice that the sight is a little overhanging so that it looks smoother with the cap on. The endcap has two holes for a spanner wrench. We still need to blue the sight

We machined this one for a bolt lock, ya spit in the suppressor and use subsonic and its like a bb gun. I shot it at 10 feet and one holed it too

The cost for cutting, threading, remounting the sight and builiding the cap nd machining the lock came to $250. The supressor is $250 plus tax.

Anyone wants theirs done give a holler.

WildquietboyAlaska

Wildalaska
April 26, 2004, 05:25 PM
And pic number 2

feedthehogs
April 26, 2004, 05:43 PM
I designed a pair of snap on sights for the supressor when using it with a hand gun.
They are spring steel and use a set of holes like a snap ring to install.
They are out being coated to match the suppressor.
They work great and only take a couple of shots to line up and will stay there without moving all day.
This saves from modifying the sights on the gun.

Dan Forrester
April 26, 2004, 07:55 PM
I really don’t see what the big deal with the suppressor obstructing the sights is. Just shoot with both eyes open. A good idea anyway.

If you really want to get around it you can use a POS S&W model 22 or (I think) a Beretta Neos. What you do is order their shortest barrel + the next size up. Take the sight / scope rail combination off the shorter barrel and put it on the longer barrel. Now when the sights end the barrel continues out past it for a coupe inches. This is cut flush with the end of the sight + threads. I’ll try to post a picture when I get my camera back.

My favorite pistol to have my Gemtech mounted on (BTW it’s the Vortex II) is my Beretta model 21 in .22lr. Threaded barrels are easy to purchase for it, and it balances real nice with the extra weight. Plus with the low slide mass it’s very quiet. Yes the sights are obstructed but that’s no big deal. I’d like to mount it on a model 87 cheetah but cant find threaded barrels.

And BTW moving the suppressor up to a rifle doesn’t make it any quieter. The suppressors are more efficient with the higher velocity gasses of the pistol. Basically the pistol is inherently more noisy but the suppressor is more efficient on it. The rile is inherently quieter but the suppressor is not as efficient.

Dan

sachsr1
April 26, 2004, 08:51 PM
It only shows two posts cuz I'm a fed tring to get people in trouble:D

cookhj
April 26, 2004, 09:40 PM
a quick question. is a suppressor registered to a paricular weapon, or can you use it on multiple weapons? i.e. use on an AR (pre-ban of course) and on a .22 rimfire.

sachsr1
April 26, 2004, 10:52 PM
The suppressor isn't registered to one gun, and can be moved around to other guns. The only thing is they're considered a flashhider, and fall under the "evil items" list.

Dan Forrester
April 27, 2004, 12:05 AM
a quick question. is a suppressor registered to a paricular weapon, or can you use it on multiple weapons? i.e. use on an AR (pre-ban of course) and on a .22 rimfire.

Also, there are .22 center-fire and rim-fire suppressors. .22 center-fire suppressors are stronger and can be used on rim-fire weapons. However I have heard that they are not nearly as effective as a specifically designed rim-fire suppressor. This is just what I have heard from other people, I have never seen or shot a center-fire suppressor on a rim-fire. Also a center-fire suppressor will be at least twice the size.

Dan

feedthehogs
April 27, 2004, 08:36 AM
Dan,
I would have to say from my situation that is not true. The reverse may be true.

Using full CCI mini Mag hot loads, the sound pressure level is about the same as using sub sonic loads as measured with a DB meter.

I had bought some IMI blue tip sub loads for supressed 5.56 rifles for which the supressor was designed to be used for. After testing those along with full loads and hand loads, there is no appreciable difference.

All I know it works and works very well and is a lot of fun on either gun.

I am having both a bolt action and 10/22 threaded up for use with it also.

gyp_c2
April 27, 2004, 10:32 AM
Actually Bill knew all about suppression...The first rifle with a REAL suppressor I ever saw was a 10/22 with an integral suppressor. It came directly from a jobber that bought it from...guess who?

BeLikeTrey
April 27, 2004, 10:56 AM
The p22 is easy to suppress. Go to GemTech and get the adaptor for 60 bucks. replaces the barrel nut and is a good idea even if you don't suppress it. the nut loosens and with the adaptor you can just finger tighten it back without the aggravating tool. the thread pattern for the business end is 1/2x28. the suppressor can be found wherever you choose. or save the money and make one. just make sure you still get the atf stamp of ap[proval to make one first!

sachsr1
April 28, 2004, 12:08 AM
Tactical Incs. thread adapter is $28

BB93YJ
April 28, 2004, 02:30 AM
"I'm sure Bill Ruger would have a fit knowing that his guns were being turned into silenced killing machines if he were still alive."

I don't think ol' Bill would mind much. Look up Seals, Viet Nam, Hushpuppy.

:)

Dan Forrester
April 28, 2004, 04:56 PM
Some bad poop being put out here.

Lower slide mass means that the M21 slide blows open SOONER, which means MORE noise escapes at the ejection port.

What kind of suppressor do you have? When was the last time you had it on you model 21? What was the weapon you used for a comparison.

Dan

Dan Forrester
April 28, 2004, 04:57 PM
feedthehogs: That’s very good news. My next suppressor will be a 5.56mm. Who is the manufacturer of your’s? Are you happy with it?

Hey do you guys at the SACFLA ever get together and shoot? I live in Jupiter.

Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Got to shoot a silenced .22 today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!