Want Another Target Rimfire, But What?

PDA

Olympus
January 4, 2014, 03:24 PM
So I've got the itch for another target rimfire rifle, but I can't really decide what I want. So far, my only target 22 is the CZ 455 Varmint with a YoDave trigger kit installed. It shoots pretty good. I can get the occasional 5-shot group inside the diameter of a dime at 50 yards. I love the trigger. I'm looking to branch out and try something else, but I'm pretty much stumped on what to buy. I'm looking at a budget of about $800 for the rifle only.

So far I've looked at all the Savage offerings, but all of the ones I've handled in person felt kinda cheap and gritty. I like the BSEV probably the most out of all of them. But with a budget of $800, surely there are better options?

I know the 10/22 market is huge for people to build their own guns. But I've never tinkered with them before so I'd be pretty much lost on what products to use and what to stay away from.

I've also thought about buying a full rifle from Tactical Solutions. I believe they call them the X-Ring Rifle. But I'm hesitant to do this because I don't see a lot of information online about the accuracy of their complete rifles. And they aren't cheap to take a gamble on.

But I'm pretty much stumped on what else I can pick from. Any advice or recommendations?

If you enjoyed reading about "Want Another Target Rimfire, But What?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
d2wing
January 4, 2014, 03:28 PM
I doubt you will find anything better than what you have in that price range.

skidooman603
January 4, 2014, 03:41 PM
If you can deal with single shot and bolt action a Kimber 82G

Olympus
January 4, 2014, 03:45 PM
Bolt action is what I'm used to. I don't mind the single shot.

I'm also thinking a semi auto with a threaded barrel might be a good choice. I should be getting my suppressor by May or June and I don't have a rifle to use it with.

Surely there are some other options other than my CZ. I think I paid $425 for the rifle. There has to be more options between $425 and my $800 max.

osteodoc08
January 4, 2014, 03:55 PM
I second the Kimber 82. I've got 2 and they are fantastic with the right ammo.

There's also the Remington 40X.

Perhaps a used Anshutz.

If you want an accurate field gun, you've got probably the best going already.

If you want a dedicated bench gun, look at the above recommendations.

If you're really serious, time to buy specialty ammo, seperate with specialty gauges and play with that type stuff.

Olympus
January 4, 2014, 04:04 PM
I'm not looking for a field gun. Strictly bench shooting. I have an ammo can with assorted target and match grade ammo. Just about every brand available.

redneck2
January 4, 2014, 04:43 PM
I'd maybe look at some of the older used classic Winchester or Remingtons. I've never shot one, but supposedly the accuracy was quite good, and they're in your price range. I don't know that you can ever shoot out the barrel on a .22LR.

Maybe a year ago the LGS had three from an estate. IIRC, they were in the $600-900 range.

velocette
January 4, 2014, 04:55 PM
One more vote for the Kimber 82g.
dollar for dollar, they are the very best money you can spend on a target rifle.
My 82g got me from beginner at NRA smallbore prone competition to the top end of the Expert classification.
Adjustable triggers, (down to about 8 oz) heavy barrel, properly shaped stock,
and very good target grade aperture sights.
Mine would consistently shoot 7/16" groups at 50 yards with decent ammo and I frequently shot 100/100 at 100 yds in competition. (no bipod, no bags, no block, just a sling, jacket and me.)
It took a $3000.00 Anschutz to shoot better scores than the 82g.

Roger

au_prospector
January 4, 2014, 05:18 PM
I don't know that you can ever shoot out the barrel on a .22LR.

A lot of those old Winchester pump carnival rifles are practically smooth bore.

MrBorland
January 4, 2014, 05:36 PM
In your budget, look at some Russian target rifles. Here's one: IZH 7-2 Biathlon repeater with Anschutz barrel and front sight, $800. Comes with rear sight, 2 stocks, and 5- and 10-round mags. Shoot it with the aperture sights, or mount a scope. All you need is a good sling. The toggle bolt would make it easier to work without adjusting your position and grip between shots.

http://www.chesebrorifles.com/IZHMASH-7-2-BIATHLON-WITH-ANSCHUTZ-BARREL-A-6-81.htm

Olympus
January 4, 2014, 06:19 PM
I don't want sights. I'll be mounting a scope.

Olympus
January 4, 2014, 06:22 PM
I'm looking for easy dime groups at 50 yards. My CZ will do it occasionally, but not as often as I'd like.

Steel Horse Rider
January 4, 2014, 06:29 PM
Several years ago I found a Winchester Model 52 manufactured in the early 1920's that was in great condition for under $500. I would highly recommend a 52 if you can find one.

jmorris
January 4, 2014, 06:31 PM
I bought a Clark custom from a kid who won it off the prize table at LA State IDPA match a few years ago. He wanted a new bike so it cost me $300 but you can get one for under $800. They guarantee MOA or better.

aarondhgraham
January 4, 2014, 06:51 PM
Bolt action is what I'm used to. I don't mind the single shot.

I was going to recommend you look at a Henry Acu-Bolt,,,
but I went to the Henry website to get a link,,,
And I can't find a reference to it,,,
Maybe it's been discontinued.

That's a shame because mine is an absolute precision machine.

Here's a thought if you're into older rifles,,,
Try and fine an older (1950's-60's0 Mossberg bolt.

I too wanted another seriously accurate .22 rifle,,,
I bought a CZ-452 Special Military Trainer,,,
It has more accuracy than I can utilize,,,
Actual MOA groups at 100 yards.

http://www.aarondgraham.com/pics/452-LR.jpg

Then I inherited an older Mossberg 340 KC from a friend's estate,,,
It's very similar in build to the CZ-452 trainer,,,
Same long barrel and very nice sights
http://www.aarondgraham.com/pics/340-KC_1.jpg

The Standard Catalog of Firearms only values this rifle at $125.00,,,
In fact they lump this model with about 20 other Mossbergs,,,
Saying there was very little demand for these older guns.

But guess what,,,
It also shoots actual MOA groups at 100 yards.

So maybe it would be fun and satisfying to get one of these older rifles,,,
When I take mine to the range it always gets a few appreciative nods.

Just a thought,,,

Aarond

Armor Snail
January 4, 2014, 07:09 PM
Thread your CZ for your can.
Find the best ammo you can for your gun, I'm sure ones out there better than you are using. Find what groups best. The potential is there for better groupings. Keep shooting. They'll get even tighter. No need for another rifle.

Olympus
January 5, 2014, 10:03 AM
What about a fully custom 10/22 versus an Anschutz 1416d with the heavy barrel? Which one would be more accurate?

I like the custom 10/22 idea because the Kidd triggers will go down so low. 6 to 8 oz at the lowest.

ford8nr
January 5, 2014, 10:50 AM
I have and love my 10/22 Target, but my CZ452 Varmint, Kimber 82G and Winchester 52 pre-A will all out shoot it. Some not by much. The Kimber 82G used to be available new for $425-650. I still see them for between $650-800. If you can test fire it, that would be a good thing because some had accuracy problems right from the factory. For under $800 I'd be looking for an older target rifle, Winchester, Mossberg, Remington.

Savage99
January 5, 2014, 11:29 AM
Here in the North East USA a 'target' rimfire is a .22 made for competition.

We shoot .22 rifles and pistols in organized matches all year. In bad weather we have indoor ranges at 50 ft matches and practice is done. The rifle leagues shoot every Thursday night from Sept. til spring.

The most popular rifle was the Winchester M52 with some 40X's and others.
Now the Anschutz brand has taken over.

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/280/media/images/Bell_City_Rifle_Club_Inc._21345.jpg

bamajoey
January 5, 2014, 11:31 AM
Put a Lilja barrel on your 455 Varmint, get your trigger as light as possible, find the ammo that it likes, find the right torque on the action screws, add pillars and bed it, and it should shoot much better than it does now. Mine shot good when I got it, but like you, I wasn't satisfied so I made these changes and it shoots great. With these upgrades I still only have $800 in it.(Less if you sell the factory barrel)

powder
January 5, 2014, 11:38 AM
Rem 597 HB in WMR hit yeah right?

Mine's been great.

Savage99
January 5, 2014, 11:52 AM
Entry level rifles like the cz 455 are ok for hunting, plinking or with the correct sights for juniors.

Furncliff
January 5, 2014, 11:52 AM
The Brno #4 will fit your budget and easily fit your accuracy requirements. I bought mine through Gunbroker online. It will take some time to find one, but if you like the CZ's you'll really like the Brno. A nice addation to a CZ 452 or one of the Brno's is a target stock like this one...
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh312/furncliff/DSCN0088_zpse70e9853.jpg

I was fortunate to find a Brno#1 that was exceptionally accurate and thought it deserved a stock upgrade. Being able to adjust the stock to fit you, can be a big help in repeatable accuracy.

Savage99
January 5, 2014, 12:07 PM
My 40X with it's Unertl.

http://imageshack.com/a/img84/1623/6mmintlf9b31a0a1so.jpg

Cee Zee
January 5, 2014, 12:13 PM
Going up from your CZ you're going to find that 64 series Anschutz rifles are only slightly more accurate while the much more expensive 54 series models are considerably more accurate. But if you want real top bench rest quality you should look at one of the great American actions from the past like the 40X or a Hall or a Turbo action now. Remember though that the biggest influence on accuracy is the barrel. Triggers help but barrels help a lot more. Your cheapest route is to upgrade the barrel on the rifle you have.

Also the Kimbers will do very well but for just a little more you can get a 54 series Anschutz and that will do better. Maybe the best bang for the buck would be a Suhl 150 though. I've seen them for $500. I know a guy who won a national competition with one. They are the East German version of the Anschutz essentially. That's what people say anyway. About 3 years ago I looked at buying 2 different ones at Christmas and both were just under $500. I didn't jump fast enough though and both got away. It may be hard to find prices like that now. And the worse part about them is finding parts for them. They have been out of production a long time and there were never that many of them in this country.

There are many ways to go with a bench rest rimfire. I'd suggest you check out the rimfire board at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Also you may want to look at the equipment list for the winners of the ARA national tournament. I have a link to the winners from 2011. You can find that at:

http://archive.americanrimfire.com/2011/Outdoor/Ntl-Tourn-Equip.html

That's where you'll find the best equipment in use. But again a 64 series Anschutz can get you in the winners circle at most places around the country. As others have said too your best bet in that price range might be a Kimber.

Olympus
January 5, 2014, 12:29 PM
I can get an Anschutz 1416d heavy barrel for $875 new. The Kimber 82s on GB are mostly in the $1k range. For the price of the Kimbers, I could get a brand new Anschutz 64 MPR.

ColtPythonElite
January 5, 2014, 12:31 PM
That money will easily get you a H&R M12. Several of my friends have them and do well on the green monster target with them....Another alternative is a Vostok. I know of a couple that shoot really well.

Cee Zee
January 5, 2014, 04:02 PM
I can get an Anschutz 1416d heavy barrel for $875 new. The Kimber 82s on GB are mostly in the $1k range. For the price of the Kimbers, I could get a brand new Anschutz 64 MPR.

You're looking at 64 series Anschutz rifles though. They are not on par with the 54 series by a pretty big margin. I hear people say that CZ's come close to shooting as well as 64 series rifles. But I thought about buying one myself. Then I got to thinking about all those posts I've seen saying they aren't a big step up from what I have already (I have a CZ 453 and a Savage MkIIBTV that actually is more accurate by a small margin). So I talked myself out of that 64. It was used, in very good condition and set up for bench shooting. But I also got to thinking that someone must have thought they could do better or they wouldn't have wanted to sell it. They're fine guns I guess. But the real world beaters are the 54 models. I'd take a Kimber over a 64 to be honest. Too bad the CMP no longer sells the rusty Kimbers.

Another rifle you might look for is a Sako. Some of them might be found used in your budget range. They are fine shooting firearms from all that I've seen. Very fine. The Finnfire sold for under $800 new but I believe prices on used models have gone up and they are no longer in production. The Varmint and the Range models would probably be what you are looking for. The Hunter has iron sights which would require a high scope setup.

ColtPythonElite
January 5, 2014, 05:41 PM
I know several Finnfire owners. With the factory barrels they shoot about the same as a good CZ from what I have seen. A couple of guys have Lilja barrels for theirs. The improvement isn't all that much

d2wing
January 5, 2014, 10:56 PM
I am interested in how the Russian biathlon rifles compared to a CZ. I would be interested in a readily available Rimfire that is more accurate than my CZ in that price range. I know about a nice looking Winchester 52 that the guy wants $1100 for. I really don't want to spend that much. If I did I would look for an Anschutz I think.

ColtPythonElite
January 5, 2014, 11:03 PM
There is no certainty in how any brand of .22 is going to shoot....As far as Russian Biathlon goes, I assume you mean Vostok or CM2. I have seen a couple that were outstanding. I have also seen ones that were no better than a good CZ.

Cee Zee
January 6, 2014, 02:24 AM
I know several Finnfire owners.

The Sako's I've seen shoot very well but I haven't really seen that many of them. I know a lot of people report having good luck with them. CZ's shoot pretty well too BTW. Every rifle is different of course.

JHansenAK47
January 6, 2014, 02:59 AM
Buying on a budget I'd go look at used guns. You are limited to what is available but that doesn't matter as you can find some real gems that you didn't even know about. One of the little hole in the wall shops I went to would get all sorts of stuff. Anything from Anschutz to a Italian made Breda Garand showed up.

ford8nr
January 6, 2014, 09:13 AM
Remember if you find a Kimber 82G the CMP sold them for $425 - $650 with sights. The CMP WTS/WTB board has had some for around $600 if they had the storage scratch on them, org. $425 rifles.

I6turbo
January 6, 2014, 10:53 AM
Put a Lilja barrel on your 455 Varmint, get your trigger as light as possible, find the ammo that it likes, find the right torque on the action screws, add pillars and bed it, and it should shoot much better than it does now. Mine shot good when I got it, but like you, I wasn't satisfied so I made these changes and it shoots great. With these upgrades I still only have $800 in it.(Less if you sell the factory barrel)
^^^ OP, another vote that you definitely should do this if you haven't already. Probably wouldn't even need the Lilja barrel to get where you said you want to be (lots of people do it with the factory barrel), but odds are it'll help a little once you've optimized everything else. If you are shooting the near dime-size groups without any tuning or ammo testing, you can very likely tighten the groups a good bit.

If you are interested in getting another gun and you like the general feel of the CZ, you might like a BRNO Model 3 or Model 4. They are more target/bench oriented than your Varmint.

tallpaul
January 6, 2014, 11:51 AM
I like the kimbers and while the 450 or so they cost from the CMP this last time with shipping or tax... the newer prices of 6-700 for what ya get is still a decent deal. I went to the north store last year to buy one and while there bit the bullet and Got two... I figured they would run out and I was mad when I missed the first run at 650 a few years back. From what little i have shot one of them I like it a lot. It is a lot of gun for the money really... and american made history at that!

aka108
January 6, 2014, 01:55 PM
I bought a Anshutz 1416 with the 64 action thinking I would get a nice decently accurate shooter for informal target work at a sort of reasonable price. If I could get my money back I would. Kimber 82G and CZ453 with both give smaller groups with the same ammo. I'd rate the Anschutz 1416 just a little more accurate than a old Remington 512 made in 1949.

mugsie
January 6, 2014, 03:36 PM
I have a savage mark II with the accutrigger. I bedded this puppy with Devon, took apart the bolt and polished everything that moved, reassembled her and started to work on ammo selection. With Wolf ammo (good luck finding any right now!), it will shoot one hole at 25 yards and one ragged hole at 50 provided I do my part. I don't think there's a better solution than a Savage unless you start spending thousands. Good luck in your quest, it's a nice project to have.

dubbleA
January 6, 2014, 03:51 PM
I was in the same dilemma as you last year as was fortunate to get a 82G from the CMP a few months before they sold out. My particular rifle has a very minor scratch and not noticable from the box cutter. There was no rust found and the wood has some figure in it. The bolt was taken apart and cleaned due to the build up of gunky oil.

I did not and still don't have any .22 target ammo to test it's true accuracy. Did however shoot some sub sonic and bulk ammo through it and it does quite well with it so I am sure it will be a shooter when fed the right fodder.

I read that some muzzles were damaged and crowns were not perfect so I cut my barrel back and at the same time threaded it 1/2x28 to shoot it suppressed.

Have shot it out to 200yards with junk ammo and the factory peeps it supprised me how well it did. I went ahead and installed a cheap Weaver 36X on it and a bipod but haven't shot it since.

For $450 shipped to my doorstep it's a real bargin considering the sights that come with it also. I understand the CMP is sold out but would still consider them a good deal if found at $550-$650.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/dubbleA/Rifles%201/Kimber82G_zps8d5873e0.jpg

Olympus
January 6, 2014, 04:57 PM
I really have no idea where I would find one of these 82g guns. I've checked GB and they are listed in the $1k range.

A friend has started trying to convince me to do a Kidd Supergrade 10-22, but that's about $1200.

ColtPythonElite
January 6, 2014, 05:22 PM
I am not a fan of throwing bucks at a 10/22. Sure, you can make them shoot, but at the end of the day you still have a 10/22....For $1200, you can find a nice vintage Annie 54 Match, Winchester 52, Remington 40x, or Remington Model 37. They appreciate over time. I am not sure the same can be said for a custom 10/22.

Olympus
January 7, 2014, 09:07 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the grooved channel that is on the underside of the forend on the Kimber 82g?

tallpaul
January 7, 2014, 10:12 AM
here is a remington on rimfire central...
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=64038

check the rest of the classifieds there

MrBorland
January 7, 2014, 10:19 AM
what is the purpose of the grooved channel that is on the underside of the forend on the Kimber 82g?

That's for the hand stop, which keeps the shooter's hand from slipping forward on the rifle's forearm when using a sling and shooting prone or seated. It also can serve as a mounting point for the sling, and with the attachment point of the sling being off the forearm, will help keep excessive pressure off the back of the shooter's hand.

Olympus
January 7, 2014, 04:22 PM
Ok, here are my options so far in order of expense.

1. Buy a Lilja straight bull barrel for $365 for my current CZ 455 and bed the action to squeeze a little more accuracy. (Still only have a 10x scope on it though.)
2. Buy a NIB Kimber 82g from GB for $750ish. (Buy a straight 24x or 36x scope $400ish.)
3. Buy a Kidd Supergrade 10-22 rifle for $1200ish.

tallpaul
January 7, 2014, 04:33 PM
Spend some time on rimfire central and hang out- read the available info on the 82 g in the Kimber subsection,,, if it interests you I would keep your eye open for one in your price range. Also maybe find some local clubs and see if they have a rifle league sometimes deals are in within the groups...

Olympus
January 7, 2014, 04:57 PM
I've been reading threads at RFC for several days now.

robmints
January 7, 2014, 05:51 PM
I'd go for the lilja on the group buy and put the better glass on that. I think it will be your best bang for your dollar. Put the left over money into good ammo, flags, and a rest.

tuj
January 7, 2014, 06:35 PM
in that price range, I'd opt for an 82G and appropriate gear. We managed to get ours shooting 0.3" consistently for 5 shots of Lapua Center-X at 50 yards. It didn't like Eley. NemoHunter on RFC does a trigger job that you can dial down to ounces. I used a EGW base for a Winne52C for the scope mount.

(Bonus, the * marked 82G's are supposedly better)

http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/misc/IMG_20130202_092948sm.jpg

Oh yeah, I used a 82G to hit a small cowbell at 260 yards. Seriously. Eventually...

ms6852
January 7, 2014, 06:45 PM
Remington match master 513T used will give you bug holes all day long and leave you with enough money to buy several bricks of match ammo. Make sure it has the red filed iron sights.

Smith357
January 7, 2014, 07:50 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/smith357/armory/22%20shoot/IMG_4087.jpg

Walther Match, This one keeps up with rifles that cost 5 times what it did. there is one on GB right now selling for $650

robmints
January 7, 2014, 08:15 PM
You better do your own research on Nemo before you send him anything.

JohnBT
January 8, 2014, 08:39 AM
Okay, CTDirt has plastic and stainless Rugers for $675. For that kind of money, or a couple hundred more, I'd look for a Remington 541-S or a Finnfire or a Reproduction Win 52. Accurate rimfires are where you find them; some models just give you better odds of getting a good one.

I bought a NIB Finnfire Hunter made just before Beretta bought Sako at the end of '99. Out of the box, it shot Wolf Match Target into .375" or a hair better at 50 yards using a T-36. This was when WMT was $1.50 a box and is when I bought cases of it.

Then I found a new Jewell trigger for the Finnfire and adjusted it all the way down to 1.5 ounces. It came with 3 springs, so I can crank it up as high as 4 pounds. I still haven't gotten around to buying a better barrel or stock. I spoke with Don Stith once about a stock, and then got sidetracked by back surgery and my parents moving to The Home.

John

P.S. - Come to think of it, the Jewell in my Finnfire only came with the benchrest spring. The Jewell with 3 springs is still in the safe, in the bag, new. See, I was going to buy a second Finnfire and Mr. Jewell had just discontinued the trigger for the Finnfires, so when I found one the guy had 2 and...

Cee Zee
January 8, 2014, 09:51 AM
a cheap Weaver 36X

Where does a person find a "cheap" T-36? $400 isn't my idea of cheap. It's not a Nightforce or whatever but they are great for target shooting. Some of the top bench rest shooters use them. They're considered the entry level for quality for high level shooting by the experts that I know. I just looked at the equipment list from the ARA nationals and 35 out of the top 100 shooters used Weaver T-36 scopes. Sure you can get better scopes but you'll pay big money for them. A Nightforce 42X will run about $1400. If you can afford it that's great. If you want to buy a really good setup and sacrifice some other things that's great too. But I have several guns I want to shoot well. I have a couple of Weavers along with some Nikons. There are certainly other good scopes around but I've had good luck with both of those brands so I see no reason to take a chance on something else. I have some actual cheap scopes too. I have a Simmons 6-18X50 that holds zero well and is fairly clear. But it's nowhere near the quality of a Weaver or a Nikon either for that matter. That scope cost about $100. That's a cheap scope. But I've seen people do well with cheap scopes too. I've seen lots of good results from Tasco 36X scopes which are very cheap compared to that Weaver T-36. Of course they no longer import those Tasco scopes. Too bad really since they were a decent scope for those not looking to spend a lot of money.

JohnBT
January 8, 2014, 10:10 AM
I bought my T-36 scopes when they were $308 from Bruno's, but that must have been ten years ago though. I don't think $400 is much of an increase if they've maintained the quality.

A decent scope might last a lifetime even if you trade guns constantly.

John

Cee Zee
January 8, 2014, 10:13 AM
Yeah they went up $100 in just a couple of years. I remember when they were $300 not that long ago. It was about the time of the first panic and shortage. And Weaver is a scope that should last a very long time. First Weaver will fix it forever pretty much if something goes wrong with it. Second the T-36 doesn't have as many moving parts as some scopes so it's less likely to fail.

tuj
January 8, 2014, 05:32 PM
used T36 trade on RFC all the time for 300-330

Olympus
January 8, 2014, 05:48 PM
Well, I committed to the Lilja barrel group buy for my 455 and I bedded the action last night to see if that helps. I'm still contemplating some of the NIB Kimber 82g rifles I see on GB.

ford8nr
January 8, 2014, 06:01 PM
I've been reading this thread for a while...what do you want the rifle FOR? Seems like you're all over the place from full blown targets, to 10/22's to biatholon. My Kimber 82G with the adj butt plate and scope weighs 14+ lbs, woldn't be my first choice for Silouette or action shooting...and it's a single shot. Might be a good bench rest gun though.

Schwing
January 8, 2014, 06:06 PM
I was going to recommend you look at a Henry Acu-Bolt,,,
but I went to the Henry website to get a link,,,
And I can't find a reference to it,,,
Maybe it's been discontinued.

That's a shame because mine is an absolute precision machine.

Here's a thought if you're into older rifles,,,
Try and fine an older (1950's-60's0 Mossberg bolt.

I too wanted another seriously accurate .22 rifle,,,
I bought a CZ-452 Special Military Trainer,,,
It has more accuracy than I can utilize,,,
Actual MOA groups at 100 yards.

http://www.aarondgraham.com/pics/452-LR.jpg

Then I inherited an older Mossberg 340 KC from a friend's estate,,,
It's very similar in build to the CZ-452 trainer,,,
Same long barrel and very nice sights
http://www.aarondgraham.com/pics/340-KC_1.jpg

The Standard Catalog of Firearms only values this rifle at $125.00,,,
In fact they lump this model with about 20 other Mossbergs,,,
Saying there was very little demand for these older guns.

But guess what,,,
It also shoots actual MOA groups at 100 yards.

So maybe it would be fun and satisfying to get one of these older rifles,,,
When I take mine to the range it always gets a few appreciative nods.

Just a thought,,,

Aarond

I have an old Mossberg 46b that is similar. I know you don't want the iron sights but the old peep sights that they used to put on these are crazy accurate and easy to use. In good light, I can get 1/2 inch groups at about 50 yards. I admit they are not so hot with low light.

The military used these as training rifles during WWII. They are built solid, have an adjustable trigger and can be found for under $100 if you look in the right places.

Olympus
January 8, 2014, 07:02 PM
I've been reading this thread for a while...what do you want the rifle FOR? Seems like you're all over the place from full blown targets, to 10/22's to biatholon. My Kimber 82G with the adj butt plate and scope weighs 14+ lbs, woldn't be my first choice for Silouette or action shooting...and it's a single shot. Might be a good bench rest gun though.

I thought I had mentioned that I'm looking for a bench rifle. Don't have any need for a biathlon or silhouette or action shooting.

Onmilo
January 8, 2014, 08:56 PM
Benchgun you say?
Buy this.
http://www.remingtoncustom.com/Rimfire_40xbbr.aspx

d2wing
January 8, 2014, 10:39 PM
Tallpaul, turns out that 540 was near me, I met the guy and bought it. It shoots good but needs a good cleaning. When cleaning it the plastic bullet guide broke. The parts are no longer available. I hope to have a good precise target rifle but the drawback of out of production rifles is parts.

d2wing
January 10, 2014, 12:28 PM
I fixed and cleaned the 540xb. With federal auto match it shot a tiny one shot hole with 5 rounds. This is factory built as a target rifle. With proper cleaning and good ammo lives up to it's reputation. I do own 2 CZ's and until now they were the most accurate 22's I had ever shot. That includes a lot of nice 22s.
On par with 540xb you might consider a Kimber 82G. A step up would be a Winchester 52, Remington 40xb, or Anschutz 54. But bang for the buck a Remington 540 or 540xb is a winner.
The upgrades to your CZ is a good idea. CZs win matches in the sporter class all the time and my stock CZ American is not far behind the 540xb.

tuj
January 10, 2014, 07:36 PM
The Kimber 82G is borderline for a bench gun. The best we shot with our was 239/250 on the USBR target at 50 yards.

For a bench gun, I would check out the benchrest forum used guns. I bought a 40X from there for 1200. Here's what my 40X can do at 50 yards:

http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/misc/smallest_group.jpg

ford8nr
January 10, 2014, 09:50 PM
There IS a 82G on the CMP WTS listings for $600 + shipping to your FFL.

ford8nr
January 10, 2014, 09:52 PM
tuj, what was the score on THAT target...something less then 250.

tuj
January 11, 2014, 04:07 AM
if you plugged them, they were all 10's. But those were sighters anyway. I took a photo and measured it because I've never shot a 1-ragged-hole group at 50 yards with a .22. I doubt many of us have; its hard.

Best I've shot with the 40X? 245/250 at 50 yards on the USBR target. No one at our local range has EVER shot a 250/250 in competition. And we have some VERY talented shooters in our club, including the winner of 2013 nat'ls.

ColtPythonElite
January 11, 2014, 10:47 AM
I shoot local matches on the green target. I also have never shot a 250....My best has been a 248...I often shoot a 240+, but always have a low X count.

It looks easy from the sidelines. It isn't. Rimfire BR is a tough game. I shoot practice targets at least twice a week to try and maintain my mediocre level.:D

Skylerbone
January 11, 2014, 11:12 AM
Without a stock, a Kidd build with 2-stage trigger, receiver, bolt, v-block, charging handle then swapping for a Feddersen honed barrel would run you roughly $875. You'd still need that stock as mentioned but by all counts it would be a shooter, no unseen damage or pitted barrel and with a 3-ounce trigger. I get that not everyone gets the whys of a 10/22 build but looking at some of those contraptions that pass as rifles shot in competitions I'd say for a third of the cost, why not.

If you're short on cash after the CZ upgrade and still looking for a short money shooter, the Mossberg 44 US is another you might add to your list. With what you've sank in that CZ, perhaps a used 24X Leupold might seal the deal instead?

Olympus
January 11, 2014, 07:16 PM
I'm thinking either the Mueller target scope or the Weaver T-36

robmints
January 11, 2014, 08:22 PM
There's a couple on rfc classifieds right now. Even the Japanesse tasco might be worth a look.

Skylerbone
January 12, 2014, 03:58 AM
I don't own any high magnification target scopes but from those I've looked through I'd suggest the Weaver over the Mueller if the Leupold is above budget limitations. Still, a used Leupold will always be in warranty...

tuj
January 12, 2014, 11:36 AM
I have shot both Weaver and Leupold 36x fixed mag scopes. The Leupold was more clear but had a more picky eye relief distance and was fatiguing to shoot for long periods. I have had four T36's and all of them are great scopes, less finicky with the eye relief and less fatiguing on the eyes for some reason.

I also have two of the Mueller Target Scopes 8-32x. They are decent scopes, clearly not as good as a fixed power Weaver, but they are good for precision 'plinking' if that makes any sense. I've got one on a precision AR-15 rig.

Saleen322
January 12, 2014, 02:33 PM
A lot of good suggestions and a lot if not most of them I own. I will add if you get a classic match rifle for a good price, you won't need to change anything AND it will continue to grow in value. I have a CZ and it is fine for what it is but they are not target rifle class. I have seen some decent shooting 10/22s but even after all of the upgrades, it is still a 10/22 that you would have a hard time getting your money back out if you sell.

As an example, here is a 37 Remington I got a couple of months ago with a 16X Feckers for $1100. It will shoot under 0.2" @ 50 yards with regular SV ammo and better with match stuff. It is a keeper than I have no intentions of selling but I could make money on it with no problem. Good luck in your search.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/saleen322/22%20Rifles/37Remington-1A_zps650222f5.jpg http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/saleen322/Targets/Rem37TgtSKStd1_zps79530cf4.jpg

ColtPythonElite
January 12, 2014, 03:44 PM
A lot of good suggestions and a lot if not most of them I own. I will add if you get a classic match rifle for a good price, you won't need to change anything AND it will continue to grow in value. I have a CZ and it is fine for what it is but they are not target rifle class. I have seen some decent shooting 10/22s but even after all of the upgrades, it is still a 10/22 that you would have a hard time getting your money back out if you sell.

As an example, here is a 37 Remington I got a couple of months ago with a 16X Feckers for $1100. It will shoot under 0.2" @ 50 yards with regular SV ammo and better with match stuff. It is a keeper than I have no intentions of selling but I could make money on it with no problem. Good luck in your search.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/saleen322/22%20Rifles/37Remington-1A_zps650222f5.jpg http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/saleen322/Targets/Rem37TgtSKStd1_zps79530cf4.jpg
Dang, I could have written that post. I feel the same way right down to the Model 37....Matter of fact, I have three of them.

Saleen322
January 12, 2014, 04:10 PM
Dang, I could have written that post. I feel the same way right down to the Model 37....Matter of fact, I have three of them.

You are not only a very smart man, I am jealous! :)

Cee Zee
January 12, 2014, 04:58 PM
I've never shot a 1-ragged-hole group at 50 yards with a .22. I doubt many of us have; its hard.

I've seen lots of 1 ragged hole groups at 50 yards with a far inferior gun to a 40X. Those things are sweet. I've shot groups like that with my Savage MkIIBTV and my CZ 453. I've come close to doing it with a Marlin 60 I have. And I'm not the best shot in the world by any stretch. Here's a few groups I scanned or took photos of. The first 2 were shot with my CZ. The next 2 are from my Savage. The 4th one has one "flyer" if you want to call it that. It made the whole group just over .25". But the other 4 shots went through the one hole. I ran out of ammo after the first 4 shots and had to use a different brand of ammo for the last shot which is the shot that was off.

Seriously though I'm not the only one that has groups like this. I've seen lots of groups like it. I have a lot more of these scans and photos if you'd like to see them too. I'll add one more target to this. I think I shot it with a Marlin 60SS. I'm not sure about that though. I have shot groups like that with that Marlin. I shot a group at 90 yards with it that measured .39".

I'm not saying these things to make myself out to be the second coming of Kreg Slack. I'm just saying people can make those shots and an important part of that is believing you can do it. The Russians spent billions on research into sports science and they discovered that the biggest hurdle in doing something is believing you can do it. I think people should take that seriously and understand that if an old hillbilly like me can shoot ragged groups at 50 yards with a .22 then they should be able to do it too. Seriously. I'm far from being the best shot I know personally. I've seen people do things with guns that were just flat amazing and way better than anything I can do.

http://www.a-framevideo.com/CZ%20_108%20group_b.jpg

http://www.a-framevideo.com/Sep%2011%202011%20CZ%20group%20w_Wolf%20b.jpg

http://www.a-framevideo.com/August%20target%205%20group%20size.jpg

http://www.a-framevideo.com/4%20good%20shots%20from%20the%20Savage%20with%20a%20flyer%20b.jpg

http://www.a-framevideo.com/Jun%206%202010%2050%20yard%205%20shot%20group%20b.JPG

Olympus
January 12, 2014, 06:33 PM
I went to a gun show today and came really close to buying a NIB Kimber 82g. One side of the stock had the long scratch though. It was on the forend and the buttstock too. Guy wanted $650. I thought about offer $600 but I chickened out. I still have his card though if you think it's a good deal.

They also had a used 540X for $550, but it looked a little rough.

Saleen322
January 12, 2014, 07:21 PM
I went to a gun show today and came really close to buying a NIB Kimber 82g. One side of the stock had the long scratch though. It was on the forend and the buttstock too. Guy wanted $650. I thought about offer $600 but I chickened out. I still have his card though if you think it's a good deal.

IMHO, that is a good deal now. The scratch (cut?) is likely from when the guns were inventoried by the Army in the 90s. They just used a utility knife to cut the plastic open and didn't care what they hit. I have 3, one has the cut the other two are okay although they did cut the one manual almost in 2! :rolleyes:

If it has the sights and handstop, I don't see you losing out on that deal.

Olympus
January 12, 2014, 08:19 PM
Looks like I missed out. The dealer's shop is almost 8 hours away and I just now realized that.

dubbleA
January 12, 2014, 09:26 PM
It's a shame that more than a few people bought the 82G's for no other reason than to re-sale for a huge profit. Maybe they should have limited them to 1 per person. These sold for $450 shipped to your door at this time last year and now the asking price is $650?

When I received mine, the Mrs saw it and asked how much I spent on it then asked why I didn't get 10 of them at that price, I simply replied the one I have will do.

Really.............I thought the CMP is about getting folks into shooting sports.

Olympus, I wish you well in your quest.

ColtPythonElite
January 12, 2014, 09:39 PM
Eh, CMP 40x rifles were $450 a few years ago. Now, it usually takes a grand to buy one.

Olympus
January 13, 2014, 07:36 AM
If you go to GB, it will take over $750 to buy a NIB one. Not counting shipping and transfer fee.

Saleen322
January 13, 2014, 08:54 AM
Eh, CMP 40x rifles were $450 a few years ago. Now, it usually takes a grand to buy one.

Exactly right. I missed a lot of deals that CMP had over the years, one of which was the 40X. However I did get a M1 for about $100, a 03-A3 Springfield for about $160, a 44 Mossberg for $65, along with the Kimbers. None of which you could buy for these prices now. One of the things you agree to when you buy the guns is that you are not buying for the purpose of resale. Obviously some folks do not honor their word and do just that. The "penalty" for doing this is you lose the privilege to buy any more. I don't if or how that is enforced but I consider anyone who does as someone who is not trustworthy and I won't deal with them.

tallpaul
January 13, 2014, 09:06 AM
Tallpaul, turns out that 540 was near me, I met the guy and bought it. It shoots good but needs a good cleaning. When cleaning it the plastic bullet guide broke. The parts are no longer available. I hope to have a good precise target rifle but the drawback of out of production rifles is parts.

Egunparts Numrich arms may have the part ya need... I would have bought that if it was local too I think and I need another like a whole in my head!

I say congrats on a decent old gun! ya owe me a beverage :) Glad to help another addict!

tallpaul
January 13, 2014, 09:12 AM
Olympus- call the dealer and offer the 600... and either wait until he come back to that gunshow or ship it to a local guy. Rimfire central has all sorts of posts on fixin that slice- redoing that stock. You would not likely loose money on that gun at that price now- they will only go up...

Olympus
January 13, 2014, 09:14 AM
That's what I was thinking. I'll wait until they open this morning and give them a can and make the $600 offer and explain that I'd pay to have it shipped also. We'll see how it goes.

tallpaul
January 13, 2014, 09:27 AM
If I wanted a decent target gun for a decent price I would grab that- there may eventually be a better deal but prices will likely only go up on those 82g's

Olympus- call the dealer and offer your 600- and have it shipped to you local dealer or see if he would ship it to you since you are in the same state. I am not sure how that would work but look at the bottom one?

Long Gun Acquired From FFL (Licensed Gun Dealer)

a. Purchase in State of Residency - A person 18 years of age or older may purchase a long gun from a:

1) FFL located in the buyers State of residence, 922 (b)(1), or

2) FFL at a gun show in a State where the FFL is licensed and the buyer is a resident, 923 (j), or

3) FFL via the U.S. Mail in a State where the FFL is licensed and buyer is a resident, 922(c).

Olympus
January 13, 2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks Paul.

ford8nr
January 13, 2014, 03:56 PM
I wish I would have grabbed 2 of the 82G's. One for Iron Sights and one for a Scope. I've got one that now wears a 18X Weaver Target scope and LOVE it. I do have an Iron sighted Win 52 Pre-A (circ 1930 ish) that still shoots great, here's a target from today 5 shot, 25yds, Original peep sights. Target is 1/2" grid

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/marinerman/Win52test1-12_zps0767d13f.jpg

tallpaul
January 13, 2014, 06:13 PM
I wish I would have grabbed 2 of the 82G's. One for Iron Sights and one for a Scope

That is why I did get two the day I went to get one...I figured heck they would run out and the price would go up and it would be nice to set one up each way...

Olympus
January 13, 2014, 08:53 PM
The dealer is firm on the $650 price. They are doing another show in 2 weeks that's only 30 minutes away. So I could always go back then. I just don't know if $650 is that good of a deal.

ford8nr
January 13, 2014, 09:11 PM
If I could find one for $650 locally I'd grab it.

d2wing
January 13, 2014, 10:21 PM
Tall pail, I would be happy to buy you a beverage. I am loving my 540xr.

tallpaul
January 14, 2014, 12:30 AM
I would not loose a gun I have been askin about for a week or so over 50.00... pay the man and pick it up in two weeks...save the shipping costs and enjoy another gun show- what is 50.00 - ten beers? in a few months it will be the steal of a price you were wanting now... the further from the sold out date ya go the higher the prices on them will be. There is still not much available in that price range today for a true entry level target gun.

Skylerbone
January 14, 2014, 12:41 AM
It's a solid deal if it's what you want and it does meet the criteria. I'd still suggest a quick peek at RFC's Mossberg section and see if it might also be of interest for a few hundred less.

You'll soon have a very nice package in that CZ so the important thing is not to rush into anything you aren't comfortable with regardless of profit or loss. The Kimber's reputation precedes it for good reason...now I'm waffling.

Saleen322
January 14, 2014, 04:56 AM
This is the last of the Kimber rifles I bought. It arrived in late December 2010 and I decided not to open the box until Christmas day so I just stuck a bow on the box and slid it under the Christmas tree. One of the best presents I ever got! :D

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/saleen322/22%20Rifles/Christmas%20Kimber/Left.jpg
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/saleen322/22%20Rifles/Christmas%20Kimber/SKStdGroup-1.jpg

ColtPythonElite
January 14, 2014, 05:37 AM
Fine shooting rifle there.

d2wing
January 14, 2014, 11:03 AM
Olympus I would buy either one of those. Not cheap but they don't make anymore of either
The Kimber or 540 and either is a step up from a factory sporter in that price range.

ford8nr
January 14, 2014, 12:09 PM
I just removed the black spacers from my Kimber and installed a TUBBS 4 way adjustable butt plate. Made a huge difference in 4 position match shooting. The down side with the Butt plate and Scope the rifle weighs 14lb 5oz. :eek: Once it's up in offhand it doesn't move much.

Cee Zee
January 14, 2014, 03:38 PM
One of the best presents I ever got!

She's a purty one. I kept thinking I'd get a Kimber when the CMP still had them but my money always seem to find another gun.

ford8nr that's one heavy .22. I could never aim that off hand and stay on target. At least I couldn't without lifing weights for a year first.

Olympus
January 14, 2014, 06:57 PM
I think I might hold out for one without a cut in the stock. I know it's cosmetic, but I don't mind paying more if it means a stock without a cut.

Olympus
January 27, 2014, 08:24 AM
Well, I bought a 82G. I bid on one without a cut in the stock on GB, but it got higher than I wanted to spend, so I stopped bidding (sold for $865 + $35 shipping). I ended up buying one with a cut for $625.

I also ordered a Weaver T36 scope. The scope is a 40mm objective, but the Leupold 11mm rings were only available in medium. Do you think these will be too high for the scope? Should I have tried to find low rings?

tuj
January 27, 2014, 08:27 AM
No stick with high rings.

If you use a 52C scope base from EGW, it will mount right in place of the rear scope block.

http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/kimber/IMG_20121006_081323sm.jpg

Olympus
January 27, 2014, 09:08 AM
I'm not using any rail. I'm using Leupold 11mm rings and mounting them directly to the dovetail on the receiver.

tallpaul
January 27, 2014, 10:03 AM
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it...

d2wing
January 27, 2014, 05:18 PM
Congrats. I am in the process of selecting a scope and rings for my 540xr. I would enjoy shooting with some you sometime.

ford8nr
January 27, 2014, 07:36 PM
If it shoots anywhere near my 82g, you're gonna love it...scratch and all.

tuj
January 27, 2014, 07:41 PM
If you are going to mount straight to the 11mm rail, you will want the high rings I think so you have enough clearance above the chamber for loading. I had a BLK one-piece mount for the 11mm rail and it didn't give me enough clearance to be comfortable shooting it. The EGW base works great.

Olympus
January 27, 2014, 08:12 PM
I definitely don't want any kind of rail or base. I'll try these medium rings and if they don't work I'll move up to the high rings.

January 27, 2014, 11:01 PM
I got a NIB 82G last week too with a really nice stock and no cuts. It's a really nice rifle and I plan on shooting it with iron sights. Too bad I don't have any Eley ammunition for it.

Olympus
January 27, 2014, 11:14 PM
I don't plan on ever opening the package for the peep sights, but I wanted the whole sha-bang just in case I decide to sell it in the future.

Cee Zee
January 28, 2014, 04:06 PM
Too bad I don't have any Eley ammunition for it.

What's a fair price for Tenex these days? I may have some I won't be using. I don't have any rifles that like it that well. I have better luck with the Match Black stuff. I really don't know how much of it I have left to be honest. I may have a brick or so. I wouldn't want to burn you but I don't want to burn me either.

Midway is getting $23 a box (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1392140858/eley-tenex-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-flat-nose). I could let mine go for $20 a box I guess. The weird thing is that ammo like this hasn't gone up in price that much. I guess the demand just isn't there. It was $200 a brick when I got mine. But stuff I was paying $12 a brick for is now $80-$100 a brick. Go figure. I don't know if you were looking for this level of Eley or not but there it is. I'm not real anxious to sell it anyway to be honest.

tuj
January 28, 2014, 04:11 PM
I have bought tenex for between 19-20 a box. I found that the Kimber 82G actually liked Lapua Center-X better than Eley Match. Never tested it with Tenex. EDIT: Killough has Tenex for 17.80 + shipping. What sucks is that KSS used to let you pick lot numbers for Eley Match and now they are only doing it with Tenex. Probably has something to do with that new Eley testing facility where I hear they only let you test Tenex.

Oh another secret? The Kimber is highly sensitive to the torque on the action screws. It can really change the grouping of the rifle. You'll want to play with it but we found 36 in/lbs was really good.

January 28, 2014, 05:19 PM
Oh another secret? The Kimber is highly sensitive to the torque on the action screws. It can really change the grouping of the rifle. You'll want to play with it but we found 36 in/lbs was really good.

That's a great tip!! I took the action/barrel out of the stock over the weekend and those values will help when I reassemble the rifle. What are your thoughts on bedding the action?

Cee Zee, thanks for the offer but I'll most likely place an order using the link that tuj provided.

tuj
January 28, 2014, 05:28 PM
We never bedded the rifle, but honestly it didn't really need it. With a tuner, action screw tweaking, a Whidden track plate and Sinclair competition rest, and ammo selection, we were able to get the Kimber to shoot 0.3" 5-shot groups at 50 yards *on average*. Some groups were much much better. We tried literally 20 different high-end ammo's on the 82G. The 2nd best was Eley *Pistol* Match. This is different than Eley Match. The Eley pistol match was hard to chamber but shot really well. Lapua Center-X was the most consistent performer for us. We spent a lot of time trying to optimize the rifle for benchrest.

Here is an article from Precision Shooting on optimizing the 82G:

http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/kimber/img001.jpg
http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/kimber/img002.jpg
http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/kimber/img003.jpg
http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/kimber/img004.jpg
http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/kimber/img006.jpg
http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/kimber/img007.jpg

Olympus
January 28, 2014, 05:48 PM
Looks like I spoke too soon. The seller on GB just emailed me and said his auction "accidentally" listed earlier than he wanted and he has a possible sale locally. I told him he was contractually obligated to sell the rifle to me since I won the auction. He emailed back asking me to wait a couple more weeks and if the deal fell through locally then he would sell to me. I told him that was not going to work. So it looks like I'm back in the market again. Awesome that I already ordered a scope and rings and now I don't have a gun.

Cee Zee
January 28, 2014, 05:52 PM
Just for the record I could have come down if I had known there was someone selling it cheaper. I'm not out to burn anyone. Offer still goes if anyone wants it.

dubbleA
January 28, 2014, 06:48 PM
got a NIB 82G last week too with a really nice stock and no cuts. It's a really nice rifle and I plan on shooting it with iron sights. Too bad I don't have any Eley ammunition for it.

Just noticed your post in the NFA forum. I see you went with AAC's. I cut the barrel back, threaded and recrowned my 82G for a Prodigy and absolutely love it. The suppressor is real close to the diameter of the barrel and isn't that noticeable. Later on I installed the front sight block back on for shooting the peeps.

You need to stop the noise pollution!:cuss::p

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/dubbleA/Rifles%201/Kimber82G_zps8d5873e0.jpg

ford8nr
January 28, 2014, 08:19 PM
Olympus, sorry to hear about the sale. I just looked at my rings, I have Medium height UTG's on a Weaver 15x target scope with a 40 or 42mm objective. There is room under the objective to easily clear the barrel and I can easily chamber ammo even from the prone or sitting positions. Keep looking there are still some good deals out there. Try listing a WTB (wanted to buy) on the Bolt action Sale/Buy thread on the CMP website. There are people there who bought multiples at $425 ea (with scratch) that my be willing to part with one.

You're gonna want to keep the scope low since this stock doesn't have a real high comb since it was set up for iron sights.

Savage99
January 29, 2014, 12:28 PM
What do:

UTG's
NFA
AAC's.

mean?

tuj
January 29, 2014, 12:47 PM
UTG is a brand.
NFA is National Firearms Act.
AAC is also a company.

January 29, 2014, 02:05 PM
Savage99, AAC or Advanced Armament Company makes suppressors, muzzle brakes and flash hiders. dubbleA was referring to my post in the NFA (National Firearms Act) section where I discussed ordering suppressors from AAC.

Just noticed your post in the NFA forum. I see you went with AAC's. I cut the barrel back, threaded and recrowned my 82G for a Prodigy and absolutely love it. The suppressor is real close to the diameter of the barrel and isn't that noticeable. Later on I installed the front sight block back on for shooting the peeps.

I don't think I'll go the suppressor route with this 82G. I'm not really sure what I'll do with it in the long term. I notice that you left the sticker on the forend of the stock. Maybe I shouldn't have removed the one on mine. I might have reduced the value by a few hundred dollars!!

Reloadron
January 29, 2014, 02:40 PM
Anschutz or an older Savage/Anschutz like the 141 (I think it's the 141). No shortage of great slightly used rifles out there in your budget.

Ron

dubbleA
January 29, 2014, 02:43 PM
1858, I purchased this thing to plink with not to profit from. Besides I think by threading the muzzle I increased it's value, heck I even made a thread protector for it when not suppressed. :neener:

Hopefully everyone that has recently purchased a 82G gets to shoot it someday with good target ammo if it's ever available again.:fire:

ford8nr
January 29, 2014, 04:59 PM
Maybe I shouldn't have removed the one on mine. I might have reduced the value by a few hundred dollars!!

I doubt it, it was just a weight sticker on some of them. They are good target rifles that the CMP sold new for $400-600. Will be worth every penny of that plus some with or without the sticker.

January 29, 2014, 05:55 PM
I was just kidding re the sticker on the stock!

1858, I purchased this thing to plink with not to profit from. Besides I think by threading the muzzle I increased it's value, heck I even made a thread protector for it when not suppressed.

I didn't get the 82G to profit from either. I was presented with the opportunity to trade about $500 of stuff that I didn't want for something that I've thought about buying in the past. I don't have any experience with the 82G so it's too early to know what the future holds but I will certainly run some rounds through it.

Olympus
February 7, 2014, 12:43 PM
Well I finally got a Kimber 82g. I bought one from GB and paid a higher price than I had wanted. But I got one with gorgeous wood grain in the buttstock and no cut in the wood.

I ordered a set of rings for my new T36 Weaver and some screw plugs to fill the holes from all the sight blocks on the barrel. I'm hoping I got one that shoots as good as it looks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Want Another Target Rimfire, But What?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!