Mauser barrel marking help

PDA

Cosmoline is Evil
January 5, 2014, 05:49 PM
Got an M24/52c for Christmas....while waiting for all my mauser books to arrive I thought you guys might be able to give me a good start.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser barrel marking help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline is Evil
January 5, 2014, 05:58 PM
I also should note that no import markings are visible..some marks near the bayonet lugs but unreadable and very faint.

Jim Watson
January 5, 2014, 06:02 PM
Yugoslavian mod 24/52-C.
Yugoslav crest and Cyrillic markings spelling I don't know what.

Cosmoline is Evil
January 5, 2014, 06:17 PM
Here are some pictures of the stampings on the stock which I believe are inspection approval marks...

Jim K
January 5, 2014, 10:19 PM
The Cyrillic lettering means Preduzece or "[State] Enterprise" 44, the huge Zastava* complex at Kragujevac, Serbia (then Yugoslavia), where weapons have been made for well over a century. That rifle started out as an FN Model 1924, millions of which were sold to Yugoslavia in the 1920's and rebuilt and refurbished at Zastava in 1952. The Model 48, which was imported in huge numbers, was made at that factory on machines purchased from Belgium along with the Model 24 rifles. The receiver crest is the state seal of the old Communist Yugoslavia; the original royal Yugoslav crest was ground off in the rebuilding process.

The light marking is most likely the importer's mark, required by U.S. law. Some of the other marks are probably original, put on by inspectors at FN.

*FWIW, Zastava was also the maker of another product that was imported into the U.S., the Yugo automobile.

Jim

SDC
January 6, 2014, 07:06 AM
The 3rd shot reads "FNRJ", standing for "Federativne Narodne Republike Jugoslavie"/"Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia", what Yugoslavia was officially called before it broke up in 1992.

Cosmoline is Evil
January 6, 2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks you guys are the bomb...(sorry NSA)

Jim K
January 6, 2014, 10:46 PM
A minor point but the date in the crest (29 Nov 1943) is the date of the founding of the Yugoslav republic, but of course the country was under German occupation at the time so the act was a formality. But that date has resulted in some sellers of those and Model 48 rifles to claim that they were made by the Germans in 1943* and used in WWII, making them "historical"; some even claimed that the Model 48 is a German K.98k, which it is not.

(*It is like claiming that the "1776" on a dollar bill means it was printed in that year.)

Jim

Numeric
January 7, 2014, 12:01 PM
The M24/52C is a re-built Czechoslovakian Vz.24 rifle, not an ex-FN M1924.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser barrel marking help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!