A Polishing Question

PDA

TNBilly
January 6, 2014, 11:03 AM
I've converted one side of my bench grinder for a polishing wheel but have run into something I didn't expect so am asking. I'm new to polishing sp have a lot to learn. Problem I'm having is the "wheel" a open, unsewn sisal throws off a LOT of threads even just applying the green polishing compound. It shreds some but not quite as bad when you're actually using it. Are all un-sewn wheels like this or is this another Harbor Freight mistake I've made. As it is I'll have to make a box almost completely enclosing the back and sides of the wheel just to make it bearable. Thanks for any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Polishing Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
krs
January 6, 2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah, those kinds of wheels aren't worth a damn and I've wondered how they can be passed as polishing wheels at all.

You want the other more solid cotton type - the one that costs more. They'll load up with polish without throwing anything off and can last for years with only scraping/cleaning maintenance..

JRH6856
January 6, 2014, 11:45 AM
With Harbor Freight, you take your chances. I haven't used HF wheels and I haven't ever had cause to complain about the wheels I get from Brownell's, but I have always used such a box as you describe to contain the throw-off.

LAGS
January 6, 2014, 05:26 PM
That is why I never buy my polishing wheels or grinder stuff from "China Freight"
I would hate for them to mess up my work of they really failed.

ColtPythonElite
January 6, 2014, 05:34 PM
Eastwood sewn is the way to go.

Edventures
January 6, 2014, 05:56 PM
there are different thread counts and different stiching the more rings of stiching the stiffer the wheel / faster the cut within each compund.
the un stiched or open are for buffing /final stages, my set-up has four wheels
and then a buffing wheel , but I only use one rouge or compound per wheel.
Buy American

Blue68f100
January 6, 2014, 06:29 PM
The only time my open unsewn wheel would fray is when I use the rake to clean it. I store all my buffing wheels in a special cabinet that keeps the contamination down and clean. Not good having it exposed next to a grinder.

btw. What speed is your buffer motor running at? 3450 or 1700. I have never run my 8" wheels on a high speed motor.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Polishing Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!