American Dreams/VietNam question..

PDA

TonyB
March 30, 2004, 07:50 AM
Anybody watch American Dreams??My wife got me into this show...anyway part of it takes place in Nam.....all the guys are using M1's not m16's....when did the m16 first go to Nam??I think this show takes place in 1965.....just wondering how accurate the show is...thanks:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "American Dreams/VietNam question.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RED-DOG 40
March 30, 2004, 08:07 AM
IIRC, it was 1964 when the M-16 was issued to the army etc..

TarpleyG
March 30, 2004, 08:27 AM
I think they are M-14s, not M-1s (unless a M1A maybe). I watch the show weekly and there are magazines out the bottom of those rifles. Marines always get the hand-me-downs. The Army got the M-16s when they first came out then later, Marines got them.

edited to add:
It [M14] was the standard service rifle until it was replaced in the late-1960s by the 5.56mm M16A1 rifle. Background: At one time the standard issued rifle for Marines, the M14 is now used primarily in the Competition in Arms program, or for drill and ceremonial purposes. The M16 replaced the M14 as the Table of Organization rifle for the Marine Corps during the Vietnam War.

http://www.popasmoke.com/visions/index.php?page=view&category=112

GT

Battlespace
March 30, 2004, 10:28 AM
I started Army basic training at Ft Lewis, WA in January 1970. We were the first unit to train 100% with the M16A1. All of the ones before us had used the M14 and then had a short conversion class for the M16. When I got to Vietnam in Aug 70 all I saw as a standard issue rifle was the M16A1. Issue weapons were the M16A1, M1911A1 and the M79. Just as I was leaving in 1971 we started getting M203 conversions for the M16A1. Naturally there were some non-standard weapons around; M1 and M2 carbines, some greaseguns, I saw one Thompson, and one of the NCO's had a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine. None of the guys I was with carried AK's, SKS or any other communist bloc weapons. We did fiddle some with magazines from the AK47 to get the sometimes work in M16's. That was real iffy and usually resulted in jamming so we stuck to the 20 rd magazines we were issued and loaded them with 18 rds.

TonyB
March 30, 2004, 01:22 PM
Yeah,my bad....m14's not m1's...thanks guys..

ACP230
March 30, 2004, 01:57 PM
Major Culver at Culver's Shooting Pages, www.jouster.com has posted a lot of info on using the M14 in Vietnam. In the show JJ is a Marine. The Marines held onto the M14 longer than the Army did.

Culver and his men had a lot of trouble with the M16 when it was first issued to them. The stories on that and the M14 make good reading. Check them out.

If you enjoyed reading about "American Dreams/VietNam question.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!