Most reliable NIB 1911

PDA

Lobotomy Boy
March 30, 2004, 10:33 AM
I'm shopping for a .45 autoloader. I posted a poll about poly framed guns and quite a few people suggested I consider the CZ97B instead. I looked into it and it appeared to be just what I was looking for. Trouble is, I'm having a hard time finding one at a reasonable price. Not a lot of CZ dealers around here.

A lot of people also suggested I consider a 1911. I always wanted one, and since this will be a range gun, the lack of high cap mags and double-action trigger is not a problem. But researching 1911s on the Net has led me to the conclusion that purchasing the best example is something of a dark, esoteric art. Since Tuner doesn't have an email link, I thought I'd open this question up to the forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most reliable NIB 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
March 30, 2004, 10:45 AM
i have had zero problems w/ my colt. it has run like a champ from day 1. i read a lot on the net about colt problems, but i've yet to have one.

just got a springfield ww-2 spec gun ($390, but i haven't seen them in a gunshop since i got mine). have yet to have trouble w/ it, but only have about 200 thru it so far.

i read so much about 1911 problems on the net...led me to believe that buying one would be a mistake. maybe i am just lucky, but i haven't had any troubles yet. i think the problems get blown up on the internet. maybe i'm wrong, and just lucky??

Lobotomy Boy
March 30, 2004, 10:56 AM
I've been seeing the SA GI in stores for $419 around here. That is a great deal, but Sportsman's Warehouse has Mil Specs for $490. Other than the finish and the shape of the ejection port, I have a hard time seeing much obvious differences between the two. The decision to go with a Mil Spec over the GI was purely a matter of personal taste, since both should be equally good guns.

Zach S
March 30, 2004, 11:02 AM
Then I'm lucky too...

Problems do get overblown on the net, and everywhere else too because people tend to notice the bad things, for example if you hold a door open for someone youll get a simple "thank you" and your forgotton, yet if you let it close in his/her face you'll be remembered as an as- well, fill in the blank. If a Cop lets someone off with a warning and/or a lecture, the motorist forgets his face as soon as theyre rolling agian, but if they get a ticket...

You can have ten people saying "No problems with mine" and the most memorable post is the one saying "Well MINE is a POS."

Lobotomy Boy
March 30, 2004, 11:15 AM
Even the best equipment can break, whether it's a forged or MIM slide lock, a Honda camshaft, or a Crafstman ratchet. That's why I give high priority to good customer service. I've never had a Ruger malfunction but I have known people who received good service from Ruger when their guns did malfunction so I continue to buy Rugers. I've never had a Glock malfunction, but I do worry about Glock customer service. I've not found the Germanic people easy to deal with in the past. I still plan to buy at least one Glock this year, maybe two, because I really like shooting the guns, but I'll do so with a vague sense of unease.

Sean Smith
March 30, 2004, 11:16 AM
Of those listed, the Colt Series 70. But the less expensive 01991 is just as good, just not quite as shiny.

Norm Lee
March 30, 2004, 11:23 AM
If you want to talk about reliability and 1911 pattern guns in the same thread, you'll need to include Les Baer.

Cheers,

Norm

Lobotomy Boy
March 30, 2004, 11:41 AM
I should have posted an upper price range. I don't think I could justify spending more than $700-$750, and I would prefer to keep that closer to $500 because I'll likely want to put a few bucks into modifications. I don't know what Les Baer's cost, but suspect they have to be approaching the four-figure mark.

And yes, I should have specified the 1991 series. I admit to being fairly ignorant of modern Colts.

Lofland
March 30, 2004, 11:44 AM
Lobotomy Boy, www.gunsamerica.com has several new CZ-97Bs advertised for around $510. I hear they can have problems with hollowpoints, though. I love my CZ-75, but it is tempting to try a 1911, especially one in 9mm so I could compare it with my CZ directly.

ruger357
March 30, 2004, 12:40 PM
Have had good luck with my SA GI 1911.

BrokenArrow
March 30, 2004, 04:50 PM
I've been shooting 1911s since 1980, my own and the M1911A1s Uncle Same issued to me.

Have had Colt's, SA, and Kimber. From stock to Clark and King custom jobs.

The only ones I have had work and keep working since they were taken out of the box were the SA Mil Specs I have had!? Not the SA TRPs, not the Kimber Custom Classics or CDPs, etc. With the stock 7 round mags yet!?

They work better than some Wilson and Les Baers I've seen...

Ya never know?

Lady 1911 Luck; la belle dame sans merci? ;)

Lobotomy Boy
March 30, 2004, 05:08 PM
I've decided to go with a Glock. It seems that there is suddenly a glut of cheap, used 21s on the market. Many thanks to all the people freaking out about the Portland Police KB issue:evil:

Feanaro
March 30, 2004, 05:54 PM
I've decided to go with a Glock.

You certainly have had a lobotomy, haven't you? :D

*mutters in Ermey voice about communist heathens*

Denmark116
March 30, 2004, 06:37 PM
For the price and the features, the out of the box reliablility, and the unparalled customer service you must consider one of the Dan Wesson lines of 1911's. Either the Pointman series or the Patriot series.

My pointman is outstanding and was 445.00 NIB!

Just my .02

Denmark

Lobotomy Boy
March 30, 2004, 07:54 PM
I still plan on getting a 1911 before year's end. I don't know much about them, but I'll definitely look into the Dan Wesson.

azrael
March 30, 2004, 08:23 PM
Dan Wesson?? hmmm havent handled one as of yet...I will look into this..

The most "ready" 1911 that I have tried out of the box was a Norinco 1911...Love it<~~~got it in trade..now I want another!:D

one of my "regulars" has a Para O' that has been flawless from the start...Silly guy let me borrow it once or twice and told me to shoot it all I wanted...mmmmmmm:D

I dont care for the Glock 21...I have shot a couple here and there and they performed fine...they just dont fit well in my hands..

Denmark116
March 30, 2004, 08:36 PM
Off the website:

http://danwessonfirearms.com/pm3hires.jpg

Tell me that isn't a good looking 1911....

Same model as the one that I bought last week for 445.00 NIB (Pointman PM3)

Denmark116

If you enjoyed reading about "Most reliable NIB 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!