Don't Mess with Bulletproof Glass

PDA

XLMiguel
March 30, 2004, 11:17 AM
Since we don't have a "Stupid Criminals" forum, I put this here, Mods, feel free to move if appropriate.

http://www.bullguard.com/badnews

:D :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't Mess with Bulletproof Glass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
March 30, 2004, 11:32 AM
Had a burglary that went down that way. Burglar threw a cinderblock throw the window glass, walked in and then picked up same and tried to throw it through the display case. Didn't realize that the plexiglass was plexi and the cinderblock bounced into his head, knocking him cold. The police found the broken window glass, the scratched display case, the cinderblock, and the burglar.

Someone like that shouldn't be arrested. So long as there's photos, let him get to the hospital on his own. After he's gotten first aid (a couple days later), pick him up on a warrant for burglary. Why should the city or county pick up the medical tab?;)

Zedicus
March 30, 2004, 12:14 PM
Probably illegal in the UK since it "Might harm the Criminal":rolleyes:

QuakKillz
March 30, 2004, 12:50 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_134.gif
thats just TOO funnyhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_112.gif

cidirkona
March 30, 2004, 12:59 PM
It doens't look real -- although I have seen the video of that cinder block thing.

-Colin

Bravo11
March 30, 2004, 01:13 PM
I've heard the cinder block story but I didn't know there was a video.
Does anyone have the link?

SiG Lady
March 30, 2004, 01:39 PM
That is SO funny...!!! I don't care if it's faked or not... It's still hilarious!! :D
That's what our local SO deputies call "dumb-and-dumber crooks." :p

PATH
March 30, 2004, 01:42 PM
This clip may not be real but you can bet there are dim bulb criminals out there who have had this experience. Truth is most times stranger than fiction!

raz-0
March 30, 2004, 03:32 PM
It's a viral ad for bullgaurd, it isn't real.

Quartus
March 30, 2004, 04:06 PM
Just because it's an ad doesn't mean it's not real.

I don't see anything in that clip that looks fake. The low resolution of security cameras - especially in dim light - makes things look different than what we are used to seeing on TV.

Taipei Personality
March 30, 2004, 04:42 PM
The first object thrown looks as if it passes about a foot over the guy's head. The second object looks as though it's deflected off of something about six inches over the second guy's head. Still pretty funny, though.

raz-0
March 30, 2004, 04:55 PM
Well, depsite watching the motion, taking a visual guess about the energy imparted to said unknown projectile, and how much movement it causes in the individuals who become impacted. Well, for a bunch of guys who like getting upset about a shotgun kocking someone off their feet in movies, you might want to generate a bit more suspicion.

not to mention that you can see the guys jumping to fall over, most obviously the second one (second guy flops before object passes his head).

There's also a bunch of artifacts from how it was done involving the thrown object, simulated noise, and compression artifacts.

It'd be a lot easier to pick out if it wasn't a flash video, but viewing it large can help see the problems with it.

http://film.bullguard.com/badnews4.swf

XLMiguel
March 30, 2004, 09:24 PM
I've been considering this for hurricane protection, but it has some interesting ballistic resistance capabilities, too.

http://www.shattergard.com/home.html

dukeofurl
March 30, 2004, 09:49 PM
I have friends who own pawnshops - all the surveilance cameras I've seen do not record ambient sound.

Preacherman
March 30, 2004, 09:50 PM
Mike, that protective glass film is amazing stuff. I was present in a café in Johannesburg, South Africa, when a bomb went off in front of the building next door. This café had floor-to-ceiling windows, and these would normally have been transformed into instant shrapnel, with probably fatal consequences for those of us sitting near them: but they had been fitted with a film similar to the product you posted. They shattered, all right, but all of the fragments remained fastened to the film, and the window basically became a sagging, loose piece of soft plastic. No casualties. Amazing stuff! (Unfortunately, not all buildings in the area had had their windows treated, so there were a lot of casualties elsewhere - but I know that I, and many others, sent checks to the owner of that restaurant in gratitude for saving our lives by his forethought!)

Quartus
March 30, 2004, 10:37 PM
Better is hurricane glass, if you are building new or remodeling. But that film is great, and a lot easier (and probably cheaper) if you want some protection for older windows.

I've seen it demonstrated, and it's amazing stuff.

BTW, on that video - I subscribe to an e-newsletter for engineers. Two years ago somebody emailed me a photo of a cell site tower on fire. I passed it on to the editor of the newsletter as a matter of interest. He published it. Then came the angry denunciations! One guy wrote a 2 page dissertation on why that photo was obviously a fake. Well, I didn't know the source, so all I could do was point out why I thought it was real.

A couple of weeks ago a colleague happened by my cube, where I had posted the picture. Some unknown soul had put a funny caption on it, so I put it up. (It's been around the 'Net 5 or 6 times.) Anyway, this guy sees it and says, "Oh, I see you have my picture!"

He took the original photo. Gave me details of the incident, and several other shots of the same fire to go along with it, too.

Vindication is sweet! :neener:

'Course, I could be wrong on this video. Yeah, it's possible! :D

c_yeager
March 31, 2004, 12:22 AM
I have yet to meet a survailance camera that picked up sound. Considering the grainy B&W picture i would have thought that they would have upgrade THAT part before they added sound.

Matt G
March 31, 2004, 03:03 PM
c_yeager hit the nail on the head. We KNOW the sound was faked. Now the question is, was ANY of it real?

A few years ago, I was given a 18"X18" piece of this glass. It was laminated 5 or 6 times, with glass on the outside (to keep it clean), and plastic and silicone sandwiched in between. The side that was supposed to be facing in was tempered glass. Wish I'd had a hot .357 load. The glass was about 1.5" thick, and that 18"X18" square of it weighed a young ton. I had put it in a wooden frame, and shot it at different spots along it, trying to keep the shots separated enough so that I didn't mess up the integrety of the glass where next I shot.

I shot it with a +P .38 out of 6" barrel, and it stopped it. 9mm fmj was about the same. I shot it with a .22 LR, and it barely made it to the second level. I shot it with a .45 acp, and it managed about halfway through. .30-30 went through it like a hot knife through butter.

cidirkona
March 31, 2004, 04:55 PM
I can't seem to find the video online. I orignally saw it on TV on one of those 'stupid people caught on video' shows. A black and white camera that was inside a closed convience store showed in one corner of the picture a window to the sidewalk outside. A man walked past the window a few times, looked around, took a step back and threw the cinder block over his head soccer-throw-in style. It bounced off the plexiglass and hit him in the head. A few minutes later he gets up and walks away.

...reminds me of the one I saw of the guys who backed their truck through the front door of a conveneince store and put the ATM in the back of the truck. Not only was it sunday night and the ATM only had $20 in it, but they didn't bother covering their licence plate number.

-Colin

Phil Ca
March 31, 2004, 06:04 PM
Some years ago the federal office I worked for was checking on some bullet-proof glazing. I obtained a sample of Lexan in about a 8 inch square. I was going to set up a safe test on our in-house range and do the test when I returned from a brief leave of absence. I advised the OIC of the agency that we would run the test when I returned.

When I returned from the leave one of my first line supervisors told me that the civilian (political appointee) had decided to run the test w/o my being there. He set up the block of Lexan and fired a .38 +P+ round at it. The bullet bounced back and hit the OIC in the chest. It did not draw blood but it left a welt and scared the heck out of him. He would not talk about the incident with me ever. I guess political appointees are supposed to be impervious to anything happening to them.

:cool:

Quartus
March 31, 2004, 07:53 PM
I have yet to meet a survailance camera that picked up sound.

:confused: I've seen plenty of security camera video with sound while working as a security guard 20+ years ago, and plenty of it lately on exposé type TV shows. Where have you guys been?

Hook
March 31, 2004, 07:59 PM
Real or not, that's FUNNY.

Thanks Mike

Hook

BluesBear
March 31, 2004, 08:17 PM
When using a single dedicated camera for surveillance sound IS usually recorded. When using a matrix of multiple cameras to a single recorder sound is NOT usually recorded unless one camera is set up as priority and then only that camera's audio is recorded.

Now as for the Bullshi... I mean Bullguard clip at the beginning of the thread. it's fairly obvious even in the original smaller sized version that the first riccochet is way too high to hit the lookout in the back of the head.

After all, a rock or a brick, even when bounced off of a bulletproof window is not akin to the mighty .50BMG where the mere presence of it passing by you will knock you off of your feet. :neener:

Brian Dale
March 31, 2004, 09:10 PM
Phil Ca, about that political appointee... Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

It's nice to be reminded that every once in a while, project-poaching, self-important know-it-alls get a little taste of reality.

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't Mess with Bulletproof Glass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!