IDPA in my area

PDA

zerobarrier
January 11, 2014, 03:08 AM
Hello all,

I am trying to see if there are any IDPA matches in my area. I am in the Erie, PA area. I have found them in Sciotia, Wilkes-Barre and so on which are roughly 5 1/2hrs away from me. Does anyone know of any closer to me, I don't care if they are in Ohio, or New York, just don't want to drive that far. 2hrs I can handle. I have never been to one and would really like to start. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "IDPA in my area" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
January 11, 2014, 07:25 AM
Have you been to the IDPA page and looked at the list of Pennsylvania and neighboring states clubs?
www.idpa.com

waktasz
January 13, 2014, 12:11 AM
There's USPSA here http://www.pmsconline.com/pmsc/?q=calendar

Looks like their IDPA program folded. That's the only club out west I know of, but that doesn't mean they are the only one. I'm from the opposite end of the state from you, near Philly.

zerobarrier
January 13, 2014, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the info, still looking.

jim243
January 13, 2014, 09:33 AM
I have never been to one and would really like to start. Thanks

This may be a bit of a disappointment but if you really want to get into IDPA competition shooting you are going to have to do a lot of travel. It might be easier to find a rifle competition than a IDPA one.

They are very labor and resource intensive and very few clubs can staff them, the one's that do generally have 100 to 120 IDPA members. Can you do it with 50 members yes but it is harder.

In addition to setting up the stages the day before a match (5 to 6 stages) each stage will have 2 SROs (Safety Range Officers) in addition to registration personnel/cashier, a match director, scheduling personnel and maybe a maintenance person or two. That's 14 to 15 non-shooters that will be working the match (all volunteers.)

Each stage will have berms on three sides as well as 10 to 16 targets on stands setup (8 of them shootable bad guys). That's 50 to 60 target stands as well as props that are used to give it a realistic appearance.

Then at the end of the match, everything has to be taken down and stored somewheres.
The scores calculated, results posted, IDPA notified of each shooters results for the day.

This happens once a month for about 6 months (May through Oct) each year.

There is no pay involved to the personnel, so it really takes a love of the sport to get the commitment of time from all involved.

If you really want to compete, maybe you should be looking for a Bullseye or Bowling pin match at an indoor range that would be closer to your location, OR get ready to travel.

Jim

Sam1911
January 13, 2014, 09:46 AM
I copied these out off IDPA's site for you:

Lawrence County Sportsmans Association
CLUB #: C0580

Youngstown Rifle and Pistol Club
CLUB #: C0024

Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmans Club
CLUB #: C0694

I know the Match Director out at Monroeville (he was MD at a club near me for a few years) and he's a fun guy, for sure.

Like Jim said, there's a little traveling involved for this sort of thing unless you're lucky enough to live close, but it isn't too bad once a month.

Of course, your situation does point out the glaring need for an IDPA club up in beautiful Erie!

ferges99
January 13, 2014, 04:11 PM
This may be a bit of a disappointment but if you really want to get into IDPA competition shooting you are going to have to do a lot of travel. It might be easier to find a rifle competition than a IDPA one.

They are very labor and resource intensive and very few clubs can staff them, the one's that do generally have 100 to 120 IDPA members. Can you do it with 50 members yes but it is harder.

In addition to setting up the stages the day before a match (5 to 6 stages) each stage will have 2 SROs (Safety Range Officers) in addition to registration personnel/cashier, a match director, scheduling personnel and maybe a maintenance person or two. That's 14 to 15 non-shooters that will be working the match (all volunteers.)

Each stage will have berms on three sides as well as 10 to 16 targets on stands setup (8 of them shootable bad guys). That's 50 to 60 target stands as well as props that are used to give it a realistic appearance.

Then at the end of the match, everything has to be taken down and stored somewheres.
The scores calculated, results posted, IDPA notified of each shooters results for the day.

There is no pay involved to the personnel, so it really takes a love of the sport to get the commitment of time from all involved.

If you really want to compete, maybe you should be looking for a Bullseye or Bowling pin match at an indoor range that would be closer to your location, OR get ready to travel.

Jim
I am not real smart but I do not understand why someone would post something like this for a potential shooter. I participate in IDPA every month, 12 months a year at 4 different clubs with in 85 miles of my home. One of which is only 6 miles and it is the one I started and ran for 7 years. We never have more than 26 shooters and usually only 12 -15 shooters. We only have 2 bays and we always have 6 stages. It usually only takes about 45 min to set this all up and about 15 min to take it down and put it away. Why are you so negative about the easiest action shooting sport to set up and run. It does not take an army of volunteers to run a match and have a lot of fun.

waktasz
January 13, 2014, 09:20 PM

Jim
One of my local clubs is run by a husband and wife and a short list of additional volunteers. They get 60-80 shooters a month, year round.

Sam1911
January 13, 2014, 09:28 PM
Well, I have to agree that things aren't quite as dire as Jim said -- we get by primarily on the efforts of about 7-10 core people, plus the various competitors who jump in to help with set-up and tear-down -- but the fact remains there ARE only that number of clubs within the OP's driving area.

Actually, the closest club is in Canada, but I figured he'd probably not prefer to deal with the border crossing hassle just to save 20 miles.

Anyway, unless he wants to find some friends and start his own club (which would be pretty ambitious for someone just thinking of trying it out!) he's gonna have to drive a little.

Fortunately, in 1.5-3 hours, he can be at any of several clubs. That should work out well enough at least a few times a year.

I highly recommend getting in touch with the Match Director of whichever club you're thinking of attending and letting him know your situation ahead of time. He certainly may be able to assign you a pal for the day to help ensure you're on top of the rules and meeting with success, rather than bumbling through without knowing anyone or anything about the proceedings.

zerobarrier
January 14, 2014, 10:51 AM
Sam thanks for the info. I went on the IDPA site and did not find those clubs, all I found were the ones in WV. I must not know how to navigate the site. I will contact both the new castle and pittsburg one's and go from there.

zerobarrier
January 14, 2014, 11:17 AM
Sam have you been to either the new castle or pittsburgh one? Are they friendly to new comers?

Sam1911
January 14, 2014, 12:29 PM
I have not actually been to either. The farthest west I regularly get to is Hollidaysburg (near Altoona). However, I do know the MD at Pitcarn/Monroeville (Neil G.) and I think you'd have a blast with him. He's a young guy with a ridiculous sense of humor, and quite friendly and open.

HoploDad
January 14, 2014, 08:21 PM
Worth the effort; go early and help the folks set up. Stay a little late and help take down. It goes very fast, lots of hands make quick work. I've been to 3 and just learned a TON, those real life scenarios wake up your brain for sure. My boy was 14 and they let him shoot a Ruger Mark III. Very good people overall; 1 or 2 pizzmiers but the nice folk more than compensated. Man, I gotta get back there!

If you enjoyed reading about "IDPA in my area" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!