Are Ruger pistols as durable and reliable as their revolvers ?

PDA

MR.G
March 30, 2004, 01:14 PM
Are Ruger semi-auto pistols as durable and reliable as their revolvers ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Ruger pistols as durable and reliable as their revolvers ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tech
March 30, 2004, 01:32 PM
I had a p90 .45 you could have run over with a tank and still shot. My only complaint was that its a little large.

Mike

tc300mag1
March 30, 2004, 02:29 PM
yyes they are

arinvolvo
March 30, 2004, 03:31 PM
In a word, yes.

And like their revolver counterparts, they are heavy, and arent the prettiest...but ruger isnt entering any beauty competitions.

They are solid, reliable firearms.

drf
March 30, 2004, 03:42 PM
Read an artical about the Ruger P series last year in a hand gun magazine and from what the article said and from everything I hear you wont find a more durable auto pistol on the market than a Ruger..

The article said something about a P series being drop out of a helicpter on cement from way high (cant remember how high) and it still shot fine afterwards....

I've got a P90 and would never think of getting rid of it...
Shoots great!
Very accurate
Not to heavy for home defense but a little bulky for CCW...
Dont let the price fool you, there great guns.........drf

BrokenArrow
March 30, 2004, 04:08 PM
I know of rental ranges that have put over 100,000 rounds through their 9/45 rental Rugers w/o any problems. The rental SIGs, Berettas, and S&Ws w alloy frames were nowhere near as tough. Sometimes, even the all metal Kimber 1911s weren't as tough... ;)

Lone_Gunman
March 30, 2004, 04:45 PM
I don't know.

But they sure are UGLY.

pauli
March 30, 2004, 04:52 PM
yeah, but there's that one in a million chance that a potential attacker will be so disgusted by the ungainly design and bulk of your handgun that he'll just leave you alone ;)

Ky Larry
March 30, 2004, 08:32 PM
If you want a rock solid , reliable shooter, get a Ruger. If you want to make a fashion statement, get something else. You hear many complaints about a Rugers appearance but very few complaints about their function.

KaceCoyote
March 30, 2004, 09:54 PM
as far as I've heard. Think of it like the A-10 warthog of the Autoloader world.

"If you cant look good, look baaaaaaaad"- A-10 driver.

arinvolvo
March 30, 2004, 11:58 PM
that is SO true...they arent handsome pistols, but they are MENACING looking!! And that is just about as good!!

I think the kp94 is the meanest looking ruger autoloader!

http://www.finearms.ca/Images/Ruger/KP94.jpg

WarMachine
March 31, 2004, 01:24 AM
They are grossly underrated guns. I own P89 myself and it is great. People complain about the looks, but I like them. It certainly does not look any worse than a glock (which I also like :evil: ) but the Ruger seems to get thrown in with the Hi-Point on the looks department far too often.

The Reliability will bore the heck out of you (which is a good thing). The early alloy frame models where originally designed to handle the 10mm cartidge, so strength is there too. After breaking it in, the single action trigger is not bad at all. Complaints about all the take-up in SA mode should not deter you. Shoot Safe

xjer
March 31, 2004, 01:45 AM
Yes, I have a couple of P95DC's. I have never had a problem
of any kind with them.

Mike

KaceCoyote
March 31, 2004, 01:48 AM
wait wait 10mm? I want a 10mm Ruger Autoloader!

9mmepiphany
March 31, 2004, 03:48 AM
just to clarify...the ruger P90 was originally designed to be chambered in 10mm, not the 9mm/.40 models.

ruger believed that the 10mm would be the definative LE calibre when the FBI adopted it as it's issue calibre (sorta like the .41 mag). when the din over the 10mm was replaced by the hailing of the .40 as the 2nd coming, ruger never introduced the P90 in 10mm.

i would buy a 10mm ruger self-shucker in a heatbeat...likely the only gun that would really hold up to the stress...adding the great feeling ploymer grip of the P97 could only make it nicer.

i'm guessing a conversion of the 90 from .45 to 10mm would entail a whole new upper end :eek:

KaceCoyote
March 31, 2004, 04:19 AM
Tell me how to go from .45 to 10mm in a Ruger P90 and I'll snatch one up in a heart beat. I have a -thing- for 10mm that I just cant scratch.(budget concerns)

9mmepiphany
March 31, 2004, 04:34 AM
i would think you need, at the very least, a new barrel, recoil spring, breachface, extractor and ejector. you could likely make the mag work, but that would be the least expensive part of the process

MrMurphy
March 31, 2004, 09:27 AM
While I wouldn't carry a Ruger auto concealed (too big and heavy) they are reliable as hell, though most feel like a brick in your hand, they shoot well. The P95 and P97 synthetic frame models fit hands better.

And with the all steel guns, you can beat the guy to death with the gun if you go empty. :) It's heavy enough!

I carried a P90 concealed out in the boonies for three days. That was enough to convince me to go to a Glock 30.

Lobotomy Boy
March 31, 2004, 09:38 AM
Regarding Ruger looks, I think the P89 and P90 are darn handsome guns. The squarish P94 and polymer P95 and P97 are less so, to my eye, but I will probably be purchasing a P95 over a P89 because I prefer the newer trigger design.

And in my experience Ruger autoloaders are reliable as anvils.

sturmruger
March 31, 2004, 12:51 PM
If you want to see a movie with allot of shooting check out Desperado with Antonia Banderas. He has two Ruger autos that he shoots the crap out of. I am not sure which model he is using. Great move expecially if you are a Ruger fan like me.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 31, 2004, 01:05 PM
P90's---you can tell by the magazines he's loading in the guns.

MaterDei
March 31, 2004, 01:18 PM
you can tell by the magazines he's loading in the guns.
He reloads??? I thought you said it was a movie. Why didn't he just use the bottomless movie magazine?

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 31, 2004, 01:30 PM
He reloads---but there are more shots fired than the capacity of the 7 or 8 shot mags he loads in the guns.

nvrquit
March 31, 2004, 01:41 PM
I had a Ruger KP94(that's the 9mm stainless) and it would digest anything that was fed to it. Absolutely everything! Accuracy wise, it was not the best 9mm pistol I've ever shot, but it certainly wasn't the worst either, having "combat" accuracy on average. At a show I ran across a KP944(.40 S&W) top-end and that worked on the KP94's lower without any problems, though a review of the parts schematic indicated that the KP944 uses a different ejector than the KP94. I CCW'ed the KP94 for a short time... possible, but not the best for the job. If that's the desire, get the KP93 or KP95 if your staying with Ruger.

The only cost effective changes I could recommend would be Hogue rubber(finger grip on front strap) grips and possibly night sites. There are a few(actually, I think it may be only two) after-market barrel makers that produce a barrel for the KP94, if you'd want to go that way. For me, the Hogue grips made a so-so fitting pistol a much better feel, more positive/controlable.

O/T

KaceCoyote,
The only way the 10mm Ruger P-series might be had(slim chance at best), may be to get a discontinued KP91 top end(DC version) and mate it, if possible, to the lower from a P or KP90DC lower. Then have the barrel from the KP91 reamed to proper 10mm Auto length. Re-spring to a stiffer rate, make a buffer to help the alloy frame out and have fun. This is of course, only possible "if" the KP91 upper will fit the P90 lower. Also not sure on the KP91's slide ejection port's length being adequate for the 10mm Auto case. The Tan Witness ejection port is about as short as possible for a 10mm and sometimes the Compacts in that line are very particular in their operation(I've got history on that one).

Anyone got info on that conversion dream/nightmare, start a different thread.

mini14jac
April 1, 2004, 08:36 AM
I seldom look back when I sell or trade a gun.

I sold a Ruger P95 DC last year.
Over 1000 rounds, mostly Win. White box, no failures.
I had accumulated 6 factory 15rd mags, at approx. $25 each.
(I'm starting to get queasy just typing this.) :uhoh:
It was my "bedroom gun", and I kept it stoked with 16rds of Gold Dot 125gr +P ammo, which it could eat all day.
(Sorry, I've got to break here and wipe the tears away.) :(

If I had waited a year, I could have gotten a $50 rebate from Ruger, so my cost would have been $300, instead of the $350 that I paid.
How many other reliable, American made, 15+1rd handguns can you get for that price?

It wasn't pretty, but then I've owned Glocks. :p
Loaded with 16 rounds, it just felt like "business" in my hands.
I knew it would do the job if needed.

And it was accurate. And fun to shoot.

Anyway, my answer to your question would be "Yes, and then some.".

Red_SC
April 1, 2004, 02:12 PM
I have a P90, it's definitely a tough pistol. The only thing I didn't like was the cheap rattly grips. Mr. Hogue fixed that nicely.

foghornl
April 1, 2004, 02:22 PM
I have the KP-90, only problem I ever had [other than OE...Operator Error] was with really crappy American Ammunition brand ammo.

Ruger's P-series are not the most AP (Aesthetically Pleasing) handguns around, but they will always go BANG! when you need them to do so.

renaissance
April 1, 2004, 02:47 PM
PC4GR > Good News and Bad – (It could have been worse)
The Bad news is: I “Broke” my brand new (less than 50 rounds) Ruger PC4
The Good news is: I learned something valuable and walked away from it unhurt.

I have been shooting .40 S&W for years ( SIG 2340 and BHP).
Had a good feel for the cartridge in both pistols.
I had never shot it (or any other pistol cartridge) in a rifle/carbine.
Never owned one.

Saw a brand new Ruger PC4(GR) and liked it.
Short barrel, good sights, pistol caliber (My home range is limited to pistol calibers)
nice looks, good feel, and at a very attractive price.
I own a number of Ruger handguns and know them to be good, strong, sturdy, and reliable pieces………………..I bought it.
Took it out to the range with some “Full House Combat loads” and some much lower powered, inexpensive “Range Ammunition”>
I had used both these loads in my pistols, with good results.

Shot 20 rounds (four clips of 5) of the heavy stuff through the PC4.
Perfect function, strong but handleable.
Switched to the low powered range ammunition, loaded five in the magazine.
First shot felt much lighter.
Tried to fire again, but no bang.
Hand cycled the action…….empty jacked out > apparently failure to eject and feed,
That should have been my first warning !!!!!!
But I had zero experience with the PC4 or any other pistol caliber rifle carbine against which to compare.
Meanwhile, the next cartridge had chambered.

I fired the cartridge which I had just jacked into the chamber.
It fired and felt MUCH stronger than the first….action cycled ….loaded fresh round
Fired again……………..Once more, the recoil was very strong.---- The shot appeared to have “Missed the target completely” ………..(No hole)
I started to realize that something was not right.
Fired one more….. heavy recoil (remember this was the low powered range ammo)
Again, No hole! (I’m not THAT bad!?)
Stop….Danger…
Well you probably have guessed it by now
The first low powered bullet never left the barrel & subsequent rounds piled up behind it…
>> Bulged / Ringed barrel <<

It is a tribute to the Legendary Strength of Ruger Design and Engineering (plus the fortunate circumstance that the PC4 is a “Blowback Type” action) that the Gun held together and I was able to walk away with my body (if not my pride and dignity) intact.

My PC4GR is on it’s way back to Ruger.
My thanks go to them for designing and building such strong actions.

I will have to wait to see what they recommend to me, in the way of repairing / replacing it.

Oh yes……………….What did I learn?

1. That low powered ammo, while it may be adequate for pistols (4” barrel) are not necessarily adequate for Rifles/carbines (16” barrel).

2. Thoroughly investigate every little circumstance no matter how innocuous, until you have gained more extensive knowledge of any weapon the operational characteristics of which not thoroughly familiar to you.

3. Do not assume anything!

4. Buy nothing but the Best…..It always pays in the long run (I knew that already)

renman@concentric.net

------------------
An ARMED Society
Is a POLITE Society

BigG
April 1, 2004, 03:09 PM
Ever since I saw the Rugers in Desperado I went and hugged my Colts. :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Ruger pistols as durable and reliable as their revolvers ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!