Help Identifying this piece, please

PDA

georgestrang
January 11, 2014, 08:36 PM
I have a old semi-automatic pistol.
The lettering on it is Kal.765
The only proof mark on it is a crown with an N under it that we have found to be "nitro powder proof" "east German; Suhl since 1950".

The serial number seems to be 1296 as it is in several places on the gun, but there are no other markings whatsoever.

All research we have done is going into dead ends.

Does anyone know anything about this gun? or where we can search further?

If you enjoyed reading about "Help Identifying this piece, please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
markallen
January 11, 2014, 08:39 PM
If you post photos you will get more responses.

Awsomepossum
January 11, 2014, 08:58 PM
I believe it is 25 acp?

jakk280rem
January 11, 2014, 09:04 PM
7.65 Browning is 32 ACP. There were a lot of firearm manufacturers pop up in Germany post WWI. It was something of a cottage industry. Suhl is a town in Germany. Thus my knowledge of your pistol is expended.

W L Johnson
January 11, 2014, 09:17 PM
I believe it is 25 acp?
25 is 6.35
7.65 is 32

Jim Watson
January 11, 2014, 09:44 PM
It looks more like a Spanish gun of the 1920s than a German gun of the 1950s. One of the vast "Ruby" family of Browning derivatives and knockoffs.

Archie
January 11, 2014, 10:38 PM
Yes. The safety/slide catch located port side above the trigger is typical as is the general shape. The 'Kal' on the grip is obviously German. .32 ACP - 7.65 Browning - was pretty standard for Europe at the time.

I'm with Mr. Watson; it's a Spanish made pistol, probably for export to Germany. When ever it was made, it was designed prior to World War I.

SDC
January 12, 2014, 10:44 AM
There were several Spanish manufacturers that made pistols for export to the German market in the 20s and 30s; have you (carefully) taken the grips off? Most of the Spanish makers had a two-letter code (like "AH") that will let you know who originally made this one.

luchs
January 12, 2014, 11:05 AM
is a ruby type handgun
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/other-handguns/eibar-ruby/

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/printthread.php?t=79022

Ian
January 12, 2014, 03:52 PM
Definitely basically a Ruby clone, although the patterning on the front of the barrel is unfamiliar to me. Can you post a photo of the proof mark?

Jim K
January 13, 2014, 01:58 AM
A German proof mark would mean that either the gun was made in Germany or was imported for sale in Germany from a country whose proof was not recognized by Germany. I agree the gun looks to be Spanish, and it may also have Spanish proofs, but up to the 1920's proof was a sometimes thing in Spain and mainly voluntary.

That barrel is intriguing, more pics would be nice.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Help Identifying this piece, please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!