Finally, a video game with CLASS

PDA

Cosmoline
March 30, 2004, 01:04 PM
http://actionvault.ign.com/features/den/images/cthulhu/cthulhu04031001.jpg

Colt New Service (Or is it a Police Positive Special?)

Springfield 1903

DB Shotgun

Cleaver

THESE are my kind of weapons!

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally, a video game with CLASS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flying V
March 30, 2004, 02:01 PM
A Call of Cthulhu CRPG. It appears promising.

H.P. Lovecraft appreciated guns and enjoyed shooting, but due to his poverty he had to sell whatever guns he owned. (what they may have been, I do not recall)

The Undertoad
March 30, 2004, 03:37 PM
I did a big project on HP Lovecraft in highschool. Played a few games of the RPG too. This looks very interesting... I like the guns too. :D Link to the preview/review/whatever? I browsed IGN but gave up after a few minutes.

Cosmoline
March 30, 2004, 03:57 PM
http://actionvault.ign.com/features/den/cthulhusnpk01.shtml

There will be no HUD for combat! Thus the shooter will have to aim the firearm. This is a first, and should make it quite difficult.

MrMurphy
March 30, 2004, 04:31 PM
In Call of Duty you have to aim the weapon to really hit much past five yards. Using the real iron sights. :)

Justin
March 30, 2004, 04:48 PM
You will need to remember that Jack Walters is not a crack marine; he only received basic firearms training when in the police force, so his aim is not perfect. When you are in aimed mode, the gun will waver around the screen to a certain degree, with the amount of movement determined by several factors, including stamina, duration in aimed mode (if you hold the position for a long time, Jack's arms will begin to tire), overall health, damage to arms and the temperature of the environment (Jack will shiver in cold locations, making aiming difficult). Coooooool. Just so long as his wobble area isn't bigger than my own, this should be fun.

MAKOwner
March 30, 2004, 04:50 PM
Call of Duty does still have a crosshair when the weapon is "hipped". This game is not the first to do that though, the modern tactical FPS mod Infiltration has no crosshair of anykind, great free mod (for the Unreal Tourney engine). http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/

This Call of Cthulu game looks interesting, but I guess I don't have very high hopes for it... They're certainly on the right track for their hud/aiming system though. I grow tired of regular FPS games that have crosshairs and near perfect accuracy while you're running and jumping while firing from the hip and other such crap. But then again I hate FPS's with magical "cone fire" inaccuracy systems that don't coorespond with anything your gun is doing, ie the gun is perfectly stationary on screen but your rounds can impact 15 feet out of line with the muzzle, etc. Infiltration does it pretty good (although it could use a better engine to help get a more realistic sight picture when aiming down the sights), your rounds bascially 100% impact where the gun is pointing, your movement and stamina levels effect your ability to hold it on target though, more like real life...

Nightfall
March 30, 2004, 05:47 PM
Sweeeet... and it's coming out on Xbox, so I can play too! :D

sturmruger
March 30, 2004, 05:57 PM
If you like super realistic FPS games you should check out Soldier of Fortune II. It has the most realistic combat I have ever seen. After running you will be winded which does effect your shooting ability. While running your accuracy diminishes considerably. Also if you are shooting on full auto the accuracy goes right out the window. It is a really good game especially for DM games.

WarMachine
March 30, 2004, 06:49 PM
The supreme FPS game has got to be Tom Clancy's Raven Shield on the PC. The amount of detail in the game is outstanding. You can select everything from the type of body armor you wear, to ACOG optical sights for your SMG and Assault Rifles. You can also pick whether or not you would like to use JHP ammo for better knockdown, or FMJ for better penetration through armored targets. You guys should check it out.

Third_Rail
March 30, 2004, 07:21 PM
Heh.. I'm not too surprised that no one has yet mentioned Infiltration except in passing, the single most realistic simulation FPS....

Go to that link, it's one hell of a game.

The first to use real aiming, the first to use stamina (getting winded, carrying etc), the first to use bleeding... I could go on for a while, but it's been looked at by the military for "informal" training for some time.

The only problem is that it's on a "dated" engine... but it still looks great, still has IMHO the best gameplay, etc.

Needless to say, I've donated time and money to their cause. :D

Sisco
March 30, 2004, 07:22 PM
Sometimes my 16 year old amazes me with the "knowledge" of guns he's picked up playing games. By "knowledge" I don't mean shooting skills but he recognizes weapons I don't own and he's never shot because "They're in a game". :rolleyes:

Third_Rail
March 30, 2004, 08:06 PM
You mean you CAN'T shoot fully automatic rifles in both hands for minutes on end without missing the target?

MAKOwner
March 30, 2004, 08:22 PM
The supreme FPS game has got to be Tom Clancy's Raven Shield on the PC. The amount of detail in the game is outstanding. You can select everything from the type of body armor you wear, to ACOG optical sights for your SMG and Assault Rifles. You can also pick whether or not you would like to use JHP ammo for better knockdown, or FMJ for better penetration through armored targets. You guys should check it out.

While I do like RvS and play it more than anything else, it has it's problems. Namely the aiming/reticle system sucks a big one. I don't care for the "crosshair bloom" accuracy system, especially when your gun on screen is non-moving while your accuracy goes from decent to hitting the floor 10 feet in front of you (while aiming parallel to the ground...). I LIKE the inaccuracy but it needs to be caused/represented by your gun/hands moving around throwing your sights off... I am eagerly awaiting the SDK being released to the community, there are those that will be fixing most of it's problems with mods, hopefully they will see widespread use on good servers...

MrMurphy
March 30, 2004, 09:04 PM
Online matches with Call of Duty often have the crosshairs turned off, so it's sights or nothing.

Destructo6
March 31, 2004, 01:37 AM
I was unimpressed with Infiltration 1.whatever for which we had to wait a year and a half. Seems they went overboard with the fatigue meter.

Crosshairs don't necessarily detract a whole lot from the realism, IMO, primarily because in real life, you have a greater field of view and have a better idea ("feel" if you will) where your weapon is pointed. Of course, if the crosshairs always allow POA = POI, then it gets silly.

Operation Flashpoint has to be my favorite FPS when the consideration is realism. You get crosshairs when the weapon is not shouldered, but they're not much good past 10' and completely worthless while moving. Oh, and who can pass up shooting PKs, RPGs, etc?

Third_Rail
March 31, 2004, 11:53 AM
Inf is now at version 2.9, and I tell you, it's amazing. Do try it, if you have UT that is.

Kaylee
March 31, 2004, 12:28 PM
*ahem*

gun content, please? :scrutiny:

Cosmoline
March 31, 2004, 01:51 PM
We're discussing simulated firearms, I think.

The CofC game in particular looks promising, since aside from the Thompson it looks like it's going to stick with very realistic firearms for the period. Since it's a horror game that should add to the suspense. Going up against an eldrich horror with a Colt .38 special--that's real terror!

Destructo6
March 31, 2004, 02:29 PM
2.9, it should be burned into my brain. No, I tried it, even bought the CD and T-shirt more than a year before it was actually released. With all the other stuff that came out in the meantime, it was not particularly impressive. America's Army, in particular, did everything Inf wanted and more, from weapons to tactics and player enforcement, with a newer engine.

Poodleshooter
March 31, 2004, 03:15 PM
Sometimes my 16 year old amazes me with the "knowledge" of guns he's picked up playing games.
I know that older guys will shudder at this, but I think that the spread of FPS games over the past 15 years has skyrocketed interest in firearms amongst urban and suburban kids who would otherwise never encounter guns shy of joining the military. It's got to have something to do with the fact that everyone I see at the range who is close to my age or younger (under 30) is sporting an evil black rifle,tactical rifle or a good semi-auto combat pistol, as opposed to more traditionally encountered hunting weapons. These kids can be turned into the future of the RTKBA.

Nightcrawler
March 31, 2004, 03:24 PM
Half-Life got me interested in guns. Seriously.

Anyways...

since aside from the Thompson it looks like it's going to stick with very realistic firearms for the period.

The game is set in the 1920s. Though the one in the screenshot looks like an M1928 instead of a more-common M1921 Thompson, it's not too unrealistic for the period. They were quite popular with both police and gangsters, as well as the general public (that could afford them).

If you're interested in a Lovecraftian horror game, play Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube. A few firearms errors, but you get to use French Flinlock pistols, a Remington 870 and M1911A1, an SMLE .303, an OICW, and a lot of other weapons, playing different characters at different points in history.

jobu07
March 31, 2004, 03:28 PM
Destructo, I have to second that vote for Operation Flashpoint. Probably the most realistic FPS i've ever played also. And you get to play with ALL of the great evil black rifles and things that go BOOM!

Cosmoline
March 31, 2004, 06:16 PM
Actually I was referring to the fact that very few people bothered to buy Thompsons during the '20's. The company barely sold enough to keep afloat, and it wasn't until government contracts (for the postal service, Marines, etc) came through that Auto Ord. started treading water. They were made famous by sensational gangland shootings in Chicago, but even most gangsters never held one, let alone owned or shot one.

"The Gun That Made The 20's Roar" has a detailed summary.

If I'd been desinging the game I'd have replaced the Thompson with a Winchester '94 in .30-30 or similar levergun.

But perhaps they're only going to introduce the THompson in the hands of a mangled postal employee and make it semi-realistic. We shall see :D

VirgilCaine
December 4, 2005, 02:39 PM
If you like super realistic FPS games you should check out Soldier of Fortune II. It has the most realistic combat I have ever seen. After running you will be winded which does effect your shooting ability. While running your accuracy diminishes considerably. Also if you are shooting on full auto the accuracy goes right out the window. It is a really good game especially for DM games.

I played the demo...and found that the much-vaunted "realism" did not extend to the body armor. Which. Pissed. Me. Off.

Half-Life got me interested in guns. Seriously.

It's actually half-way decently realistic.
Except the double-cartridge alternate fire for the shotgun, all the guns exist...carrying all of them PLUS grenades and ammo is another thing, but the body armor/environment suit makes a lot more sense than say in, Max Payne.

Tequila_Sauer
December 4, 2005, 02:56 PM
I actually love the guns of the Half Life games, especially Counterstrike. The Soldier of Fortune games were awesome as was Far Cry. I think the current king of weapons realism has to go to the Battlefield series, especially the new one. It's insane, even for the Middle Eastern team.

natedog
December 4, 2005, 06:16 PM
I really, really liked Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for XBOX. It was realistic enough without ruining the fun. Probably the first good "HUD-less" game. Yes, that's right, no ammo meter, no health meter, etc. On or two shotgun blasts, a good rifle hit, or a few pistol shots will kill you; if you survive and are wounded, you must quickly treat yourself or you can bleed to death. No superimposed crosshairs either; all aiming must be done using the sights. Very creepy atmosphere, but the sanity system was somewhat annoying...especially when your character goes so nuts he kills himself.

grimjaw
December 4, 2005, 07:32 PM
I think you can find most of those weapons in the Hitman series of video games, too. Not saying it has class, but the weapons were interesting.

jmm

Cosmoline
December 4, 2005, 08:53 PM
I really, really liked Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for XBOX. It was realistic enough without ruining the fun. Probably the first good "HUD-less" game. Yes, that's right, no ammo meter, no health meter, etc. On or two shotgun blasts, a good rifle hit, or a few pistol shots will kill you; if you survive and are wounded, you must quickly treat yourself or you can bleed to death. No superimposed crosshairs either; all aiming must be done using the sights. Very creepy atmosphere, but the sanity system was somewhat annoying...especially when your character goes so nuts he kills himself.

As you can tell from the DATE on my initial post, the development process on this game was FUBAR. They had a PC beta version almost two years ago and released it to reviewers. Everyone who got to play it loved it. But then they scrapped the whole project this year and decided to only do an X-Box version on a limited release just last month. They may not even release a PC version. I learned to play games on the PC keyboard fifteen years ago and I refuse to change my "WADSX" ways.

PaladinVC
December 4, 2005, 09:55 PM
I confess: I bought a USP because of Rainbow Six. I'm not sorry, though. That thing is great. I just wish I had a smaller gun for carry. Maybe I'll sell it and get a PPK...

And I'm playing some heavy Battlefield 2 lately. It's a fun game, but not a simulation by any stretch of the imagination.

jefnvk
December 4, 2005, 10:09 PM
I always liked Call of Duty and Day of Defeat for their weapons. They started my milsurp bug.

Its refreshing to play a gmae where not everyone is running around spary-n'-praying, that people use everythign from bolt guns to MG's.

Phyphor
December 4, 2005, 10:41 PM
I confess: I bought a USP because of Rainbow Six. I'm not sorry, though. That thing is great. I just wish I had a smaller gun for carry. Maybe I'll sell it and get a PPK...

And I'm playing some heavy Battlefield 2 lately. It's a fun game, but not a simulation by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh hell no, don't sell it. Keep it, and later on, buy a smaller gun. The more the merrier!!!!!

Medusa
December 5, 2005, 04:42 AM
Yeah, must also admit that the FPS got me into firearms and soldiering, starting with "revolutional" Wolfenstein 3D on 386, Doom 1&2 on 486. :cuss: must be a game junkie.

+1 on Op Flashpoint, ubercool, and nice to play with mods.

SomeKid
December 5, 2005, 05:08 AM
Y'all need to try Codename: Outbreak. (Few years old, but fun.)

Now THAT is a rifle we should all have...the uber ghillie suit was nice too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally, a video game with CLASS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!