Old Wards Western Field 22

PDA

Nikonsk8r
January 13, 2014, 08:24 PM
The rifle which has been in my family for more years than I can remember. The issue is that I would like to put an old Weaver B6 Scope on it and even though the receivier has been T&D'd, I can not for the life of me ID the model. No Model or Serial number anywhere. I recognize that serial numbers were not required pre- early 60's... Can anyone help me:

Note "10" in circle near receiver

1) ID the Model
2) ID the Peep Site that would fit on the receiver
3) Scope mount that will accept a Weaver B6 scope
4) Anything else noteworthy

Many thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Wards Western Field 22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bubba15301
January 13, 2014, 08:35 PM
llooks like a mossberg

Scooter22
January 14, 2014, 07:15 AM
It,s a Savage/Stevens. Similar to the Sav model 56 The rear of the action is angled like a Stevens 416. There are other variations in these models depending on changes made during there manufacturing life. Nice solid old .22s that were sold as house brands by dept stores as well as Savage/Stevens. There are side mounts available from Weaver that should use the two holes already there. Only thing is they only allow 3/4" or 5/8" scopes. There is a excellent mount made for old Mossbergs that have similar mounting holes that allows 1" scopes. It, may fit the hole spaceing but if it dosev,t it wouldn,t be hard to add a hole in the mount so it would fit. http://www.havlinsales.com/ Look under .22 parts. Good luck.
http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Manufacturers/Savage/Springfield%20Model%2056/Springfield%20Model%2056.html

Nikonsk8r
January 14, 2014, 10:21 AM
Thank you....everyone was going Mossberg....Savage may be the ticket....

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Wards Western Field 22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!