Sig's got a new gun but do they?

PDA

Life During Wartime
January 13, 2014, 05:04 PM
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p320.aspx

Just notcied this update to the website today
Earlier in the morning I was on and it wasnt there. Loaded it again, and boom!
lol

but I fail to see how its different from a P250

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig's got a new gun but do they?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
G.barnes
January 13, 2014, 05:15 PM
The only thing that seems to be different is the trigger pull. It's more like the trigger on a glock where the 250 is a dao.

Mainsail
January 13, 2014, 05:23 PM
but I fail to see how its different from a P250

It's right in the link you provided.

"...the P320 provides an enhanced level of safety not found on most modern service pistols. Unlike its competitors, the P320 does not require the operator to pull the trigger nor use a special tool to take-down the firearm for cleaning or routine maintenance"

"With a partially pretensioned striker, the P320 has a short, crisp trigger pull with a quick, pronounced reset right out-of-the-box."

BamAlmighty
January 13, 2014, 10:12 PM
"Magazine Disconnect Safety"

they can keep it

TennJed
January 13, 2014, 10:14 PM
The P250 is hammer fired DAO

jjones45
January 13, 2014, 11:15 PM
Yep, a striker fired p250. Should have just called it a P250S. If the trigger is good and they offer it without a mag disconnect safety it might do better than its predecessor. In a world where almost all the other gun makers make successful striker fired guns and win LE contracts sig might as well join them. Monkey see monkey do. To me Walther has set the bar high on great strikers out the box as I own a ppq 40 and am still in bliss

Armor Snail
January 14, 2014, 01:45 AM
Mama Sig must have been partying pretty hard in Prauge when Herr Sauer was away.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/14/2ajutuvu.jpg

Dean1818
January 14, 2014, 06:20 AM
1.4 inch width......

Looks like the CCW crowd isnt going this way.....

ritepath
January 14, 2014, 07:10 AM
1.4" Make an okay open carry firearm...but then again it's a little thick for even OC.

el Godfather
January 14, 2014, 07:18 AM
Sorry but I didnt get your joke.

BILLG
January 14, 2014, 07:28 AM
Armor Snail you may want to sober up.:)

olderguns
January 14, 2014, 07:50 AM
I don,t get it but I,ve never owned a sig so probably wouldn't notice anything odd.
Please explain inquisitive minds want to know.

C0untZer0
January 14, 2014, 07:53 AM
P320 polymer framed striker fired...

I guess the point is that this is uncharacteristic of Sig-Sauer?

19-3Ben
January 14, 2014, 07:54 AM
That's what I was thinking as well.

pockets
January 14, 2014, 07:58 AM
I am certain this was hilarious to the original poster.
Like the others, I don't quite get it myself.

Armor Snail
January 14, 2014, 08:26 AM
Tough crowd Lol

OK. So Sig takes frames from the failed P250 with the most awful trigger that they have ever sold,
Puts a new firing system in a slide that's ripped off the CZ DUTY line. Proclaims new gun is greatest gun ever.

C0untZer0
January 14, 2014, 08:33 AM
Well that's just silly, the HK P7M8 is the greatest gun ever...

Comrade Mike
January 14, 2014, 08:40 AM
Well that's just silly, the HK P7M8 is the greatest gun ever...

That's a funny way to spell Browning Hi Power :D

Just busting your chops :P

Armor Snail
January 14, 2014, 08:42 AM
Lol. Now some folks have personality. This was posted on other forums as well. Was hoping more here would pick apart the differences and similarities of the guns.

CCS3
January 14, 2014, 08:51 AM
They swing, and they miss.......again.

460Kodiak
January 14, 2014, 09:23 AM
Where are my car keys!?!?!?!?!?! I have to get to the LGS and order one!

Oh wait, Springfield and FN make guns about the same size, and with higher capacity? Then I guess we're good already.

Walt Sherrill
January 14, 2014, 09:27 AM
I have a couple of SIGS and have had quite a few over the years: several 220s, a couple of P239s, and several P226s. I only have three, now, but they're quite nice: 1) a Gray Guns tuned P238, a P220 Super Match, and a P-226 X Five Competition (in .40). [I also had a P-210-6, years ago.] While the Gray Guns P238 is very nice I much prefer shooting the P220 SM and X-Five, if only because they are SA. I've never really liked the SIG DA/SA mechanism.

That said, a SIG with first and second shot that is always the same, but which doesn't require the use of a safety, is an interesting idea. And if the trigger pull is short and crisp, it may be a good, practical compromise between the two worlds of SIG and Glock.

I think that polymer-framed guns (or partially polymer-framed guns) are the future, whether we like it or not. The new Sphinx takes this approach -- with modules that can be steel or polymer or a mix.

SIG is advertising this weapon as for the LEO market.

I'm more interested than some of you guys.

On An Island
January 14, 2014, 09:33 AM
That said, a SIG with first and second shot that is always the same, but which doesn't require the use of a safety, is an interesting idea. And if the trigger pull is short and crisp, it may be a good, practical compromise between the two worlds of SIG and Glock.
Walt, I'm with you on this. Owning both brands in .45ACP, I like the idea - up to the point of the Sig being a polygun. That, not so much.

el Godfather
January 14, 2014, 09:46 AM
What the heck happened to this thread.

Sam1911
January 14, 2014, 10:01 AM
[Two thread on the topic merged.]

Armor Snail
January 14, 2014, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the merge. I didn't see the first one. Looked, but not good enough.
It was late. I apologize.
Still think my thread title was better though lol

Walt Sherrill
January 14, 2014, 12:59 PM
The SIG and the CZ pictured look a bit alike, but they're absolutely different internally -- not the least because the CZ is a hammer-fired gun that can be user-converted from hammer/safety to decocker mode and back very easily.

fastbolt
January 14, 2014, 01:18 PM
Not a surprising development, especially when you consider Sig has been trying to find a way to make a significant entry into the segment of the LE/Gov market that's wanting plastic-framed pistols. Their plastic hammer-fired guns haven't ever really made much of an impact in the US, and their experience to-date with their modular plastic guns probably hasn't been as desirable as had been hoped.

It's got a list of features becoming popular among LE users, and the ability to offer some alternative features, as well.

Sounds exactly like what it was intended to be, meaning being tailor-made for the LE/Gov service pistol market.

Unless it's priced similarly to the Glock and M&P, though, it's going to be an uphill road.

jjones45
January 16, 2014, 12:39 PM
Yep, if the p320 can't be had for around $500ish, then I won't be interested. I have a m&p, g23, sr45, and ppq. I purchased all of those at prices just above $500 or under and I just can't imagine this unproven new kid on the block being worth more than those.

nwilliams
January 17, 2014, 05:22 PM
I checked it out at Shot Show the other day, it was ok but nothing special to me.

danimoth17
January 18, 2014, 02:30 AM
"Magazine Disconnect Safety"

they can keep it
- Four additional optional safeties round out the P320 safety system:
- Tabbed Safety Trigger
- Frame-mounted ambidextrous Manual Safety
- Loaded Chamber Indicator
- Magazine Disconnect Safety

looks like mag disconnect safety is optional.

EOD Guy in VA
January 22, 2014, 09:59 PM
I have owned, and still own several SIGs. Every one of them has been flawlessly reliable. More specifically, I own all three sizes of the P250 series. I have transitioned to them as the primary pistols I used for concealed carry. IMO, the long trigger reset is their only weakness. The P320 will correct that and offer a shorter trigger pull and crisper release to boot. After they have proven themselves in the field, I will likely replace my 3 P250s with 3 P320s.

As to the magazine disconnect comment made by some, I believe they have confused the safety requirement of mag removal for field stripping with magazine disconnect when changing mags. Two very different features.

Nom de Forum
January 22, 2014, 10:25 PM
Twenty years ago in Oregon a deputy sheriff extolling the virtues of his SIG assured me SIG would never make a "plastic" gun like my Glock. I guess SIG finally got Glocked hard enough in the head to realize where the future of design and sales will be.:D

mgmorden
January 22, 2014, 10:39 PM
I don't think this is supposed to be earth-shattering. Realistically striker fired guns have become the norm. Glock started it. S&W, Ruger, Walther, and FN have all come on board. If SIG wants to compete for the same contracts it makes sense for them to have a striker fired gun.

EOD Guy in VA
January 23, 2014, 05:10 AM
I owned both a full-size & compact M&P as well. Excellent striker-fired trigger system. Only their lack of pointability for me due to the grip angle forced me to give them up. My P250s were their replacement.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig's got a new gun but do they?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!