looking to remove the front sight plus base on my ar 15 help

PDA

horsemen61
January 16, 2014, 09:57 AM
Ok guys I wish to remove the big f front sight post on my ar where to start uhh what tools will i need thanks guys for all the help

If you enjoyed reading about "looking to remove the front sight plus base on my ar 15 help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Charger442
January 16, 2014, 10:35 AM
drift out the pins with copper punches, or steel if you dont care about scratching up the base. Knock gas block off with a dead blow hammer or piece of wood.

of course, remove the FH or brake first, should one be present.

easy as pie.

kingcheese
January 16, 2014, 11:47 AM
and maybe some Allen keys if it has a set screw in the bottom of the base, make sure your muzzle break ain't welded/pinned on

BBBBill
January 16, 2014, 01:59 PM
A pinned front sight has tapered pins, so you first have to determine which is the small end. Drive out from the small end or you will damage the barrel while you bang away with little progress. Why do you want to remove it? Depending on the reason, it might be simpler/better to cut off the sight tower above the gas tube leaving the pins and gas tube portion in place, blend/dress it smooth, and touch up the finish.

GI_Jared
January 16, 2014, 10:30 PM
Knocking out the taper pins can be a pain. You will want a good set of steel punches and at least a 30 oz hammer. Spray some penetrating oil on the pins and let them sit overnight, then beat them out with the hammer/punch (hitting the small side of the pins). Sometimes they will not come loose so you will need to heat them up with a torch in order to make the metal expand.

horsemen61
January 19, 2014, 09:19 PM
I don't like it on there and wish to remove it so I can scope my gun

BBBBill
January 19, 2014, 09:44 PM
Plenty of folks scope an AR, leaving the front sight on with no issues. However, if you just don't like it, see my previous post. A pinned gas block is far better than the set screw attached blocks. You can convert you sight base to a gas block only by cutting off the sight tower and doing a little blending. I does not look wonky at all and avoids all of the issues of trying to re-pin a gas block or the alignment and loose set crews of the other type.

Steve2md
January 28, 2014, 10:31 AM
^^ That ^^ and you can always get a slightly longer rail or forearm to cover it as well. Literally thousands of options out there for an AR

If you enjoyed reading about "looking to remove the front sight plus base on my ar 15 help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!