Rem 870 Express Police trade in

PDA

John828
January 16, 2014, 05:22 PM
I found a police trade in for $360 at a pawn shop. No rust but the finish is well worn and the stocks are beat up. It comes with the slug barrel with scope rings and bases as well as a 28" vent rib bbl threaded for Remchokes. If the finish was better I would have bought. What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 870 Express Police trade in" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stan rose
January 16, 2014, 07:35 PM
What era of production is it? Is the 28" barrel original to the gun?

stillbroke
January 16, 2014, 08:32 PM
Several things to consider. Round count for one, probably really high. Don't really think it will make that big of a difference. Chances are the gun was maintained well. I work for a medium size Sheriff's Office I florida and we turn all of our issued weapons, 870's included every year to be serviced. They usually are only shot about 30-40 times a year during qualifications then Cleaned and put back in the rack in the patrol car. If you have a Need for the slug barrel I'd say buy it. Or, I'll buy your slug barrel to offset the price.:D Also consider this. I just bought a gun at a pawn shop they had listed for 425$. I walked out spending 320$. Haggle with them. Chances are they are trying for 200% profit and really who blames them cause most of the time they prolly get it. Let us know.

John828
January 16, 2014, 09:19 PM
I was thinking about making it a dedicated slug gun for deer hunting and selling the 28 in bbl. If I can get them down to about $300, I think I'll pick it up tomorrow. I figured round count would be low but who knows how many times it has been owned. Since it was pawned with the extra barrel, I am assuming someone else owned it.

AI&P Tactical
January 16, 2014, 10:33 PM
Makes no sence. Why would an LE Agency have a Combo Express Model with rail, scope rings and also have a 28" Vent rib barrel with it? May be some Cop owned it and I see no relevence of that making it a police trade in. It is simply a used Express Combo. If it is beat up then I don't see it being worth that. If the shop told you it was a police trade in they are blowing smoke up your six and trying to make you think the gun is more then it is. Run away.

Fred Fuller
January 17, 2014, 12:07 AM
Some agencies have bought 870 Express guns, true. And some have traded them in. But the 870 Police is not an Express...

How's the receiver on this one marked? Express? Police? Wingmaster?

AI&P Tactical
January 17, 2014, 01:24 AM
Fred - as you know it would be unlikely that they would buy a combo as they would have use for the 28" VT RC Barrel. So it is most likely as he says an Express and a Combo with what he is calling a slug barrel simply the 20" Rifle sight IC choke barrel that comes with the combo. He can buy a new Express with 28" barrel for $350 and pick up a used 20" RS for around 100 or a new one for $145. So $360 for a beat up used Express is way out of line even with the second barrel. I have had 12 factory new 28" on Gun broker for over 6 months and had them down to as low as $140 and they would not sell. But all my 26" sold fast. Don't understand it but the 28" is not desired for some reason. Point is the deal is not worth it so he should shop around.

PabloJ
January 17, 2014, 02:26 AM
I found a police trade in for $360 at a pawn shop. No rust but the finish is well worn and the stocks are beat up. It comes with the slug barrel with scope rings and bases as well as a 28" vent rib bbl threaded for Remchokes. If the finish was better I would have bought. What do you think?
Parkerized 'Police Magnum' in very good to excellent condition is $350 to $375 item. It's hard to say what you found but if police department owned that shotgun they didn't have 28" barrel with the gun. Most likely previous owner threw barrel in out of desperation to sell the gun. I would pass on the Express clunker in rough shape as there are too many other guns out there.

Fred Fuller
January 17, 2014, 10:50 AM
The previous owner may have put the combo together, or it may indeed be an Express combo being sold used, I don't know. The receiver markings will tell the tale... thus the question. A combo based on an 870P or Wingmaster would be worth more...

I don't know the used gun market in his area, hereabouts that would be overpriced for an Express gun combo by $50-100, even with the spare barrel. Of course, inflation is taking a toll everywhere, and I don't see the sub-$200 good condition used Express guns any more that I used to see regularly...

John828
January 17, 2014, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I went back up there this morning, and it's just an Express combo. Mechanically, it is in good shape. It would make a fine "no frills" hunting gun.

Figuring the extra barrel to be worth about $50, I would give $250 for it. They wouldn't take less than $300, so I passed.

John828
January 22, 2014, 02:40 PM
Well, I went back today and offered $250 again. They ended up taking $275, so, if I sell one of the barrels, I will have about $125 to $150 in it. Not bad

Dr. Sandman
January 22, 2014, 02:47 PM
Good!

PJSprog
January 22, 2014, 03:05 PM
Sounds like a good deal, John828. In spite of it's detractors, the 870 Express works just fine as a hunting gun. Yeah, it's not a Wingmaster, but it's still a good quality Remington. My 12ga has been doing just fine over the last 10+ years, as has my wife's newer 20ga.
Enjoy it.

John828
January 22, 2014, 03:13 PM
For sure. I have had several and am always looking for decent deals. It hasn't been abused, but it has definitely been used? Here are a few pics: 193975193976193977193978193979

Fred Fuller
January 22, 2014, 06:57 PM
If it's an older model Express (pre mag tube dimples), that's even better. Around here it's gotten pretty difficult to find one for under $200 any more. And I'm always looking for them...

John828
January 22, 2014, 08:34 PM
Yep. No dimples.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 870 Express Police trade in" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!