The New Remington R51

PDA

rswartsell
January 16, 2014, 11:55 PM
I saw one other thread about the introduction of the R51.

The introduction date is February 1, at least 2 weeks after that before you can hope to buy one in a brick and mortar gunshop. The original MSRP was $ 389.00! Amazingly low agreed, but just a few days later and not across the intro date and we have $ 420.00.

I am very interested and combing the 'net. What I like:

1. Pedersen design from WAY back,... hybrid blowback-locking breech
2. 1911ish straight back trigger
3. Low bore axis
4. Aluminum alloy frame instead of polymer
5. Concealed carry (dehorned, sight friendly)
6. Designed for +P
7. Straight "dry" weight about 20 oz.
8. Smaller profile than S&W Shield or XDS
9. Less than 1" thick
10. Concealed hammer vs. striker fired
11. Recoil spring around barrel, very short slide travel (contact shooting does not drive chambered round out of battery)
12. NO external safety, does have grip safety

What I don't like;

1. No trigger reset (we saw this with the S&W Shield and opinion forced a change), by this I mean a tactile or audible reset signal and attention to fast reset for the gamers or tacticool among us
2. Not much else IF they can execute to deliver as advertised which is a question in itself. Long time since Big Green was a serious handgun player. It IS an ancient action design they did before, AND they have done at least a credible job on the R1 1911 clone (maybe better than that).
3. PRE intro MSRP creep from $ 389.00 to at least $ 420.00 from what I see.

I placed an advance order with my FFL and am awaiting anxiously (9mm, no interest currently for .40 S&W, .45 ACP? well let's talk then).

I have an order in and on tenterhooks.:confused: Anyone have anything to add?

If you enjoyed reading about "The New Remington R51" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USAF_Vet
January 17, 2014, 08:30 AM
Pretty sure there isn't much that hasn't been said on the other R51 threads. Won't have much else to say until its released and people have put in some trigger time.

MagnumDweeb
January 17, 2014, 10:03 AM
I'm not likely going to buy one before April just so I can see what folks have to say about them. I was all set to buy a Ruger SR1911 in February but when I learned the R51 was coming out I decided I had enough .45s (P90, STI Spartan 1911, XD) and since my Rossi 462 got relegated to full-time office gun and my SP101 got put in full-time carry rotation I've been wanting a better gun for concealed carry in the office (the Rossi sits in a lock box that is a combination and key combo so my boss's 3 year old can't accidentally get into it and I only take it out to carry when I've left my SP101 at home for whatever reason).

If the MSRP creeped $30 that sucks but such is life 389.99 seemed too good to be true anyways. If I can get one OTD for under $420 I'll be a happy boy and that's all I care about. I hope it turns out to be an awesome gun so other manufacturers follow suit. You hear that Ruger, I own eight handguns from you so get off your rump and make a nice aluminum pistol in 9mm like the R51 so I don't have to bother with LC9 which I'm never going to get. Better yet make it in .32 and really wow me.

Orion8472
January 17, 2014, 11:40 AM
rs, . . . your list of likes is nearly exact to mine.

But yeah, there is a lot of info on the other thread. Maybe this one can be "personal experiences" [as soon as that happens]. Maybe someone was able to look at one at Shot Show? I saw Gunblast videos at the media shoot and didn't see him shoot it there . . . . so not sure if Remington had one out there. Would be really surprised if they chose to NOT utilize that opportunity to get more word out.

Is anyone subbed to a channel that did shoot one for the media day?

dbp
January 17, 2014, 11:55 AM
rs, . . . your list of likes is nearly exact to mine.

But yeah, there is a lot of info on the other thread. Maybe this one can be "personal experiences" [as soon as that happens]. Maybe someone was able to look at one at Shot Show? I saw Gunblast videos at the media shoot and didn't see him shoot it there . . . . so not sure if Remington had one out there. Would be really surprised if they chose to NOT utilize that opportunity to get more word out.

Is anyone subbed to a channel that did shoot one for the media day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgqtnA4t98U

Orion8472
January 17, 2014, 12:39 PM
I just watched the fateofdestinee video . . . . . . and that trigger sure looks hinged to me. No big deal, . . . but not a straight back pull.

Quiet
January 17, 2014, 01:32 PM
Remington did not have the R51 available for the media day shoot.

M2 Carbine
January 17, 2014, 01:44 PM
I told the local gun store manager I want the first one he gets.

dbp
January 17, 2014, 06:48 PM
Remington did not have the R51 available for the media day shoot.
Maybe not, but the video in post #5 shows two different people shooting it. True enough, it's not a shooting review, but at least you can see it being shot. Have to wait a while before good reviews come out.

hardluk1
January 17, 2014, 08:18 PM
Its already made a media day shoot several weeks back and a few writers got to try to kill it.

I have had one on a want list at my lgs now for 2 weeks. Wholesaler has pricing for our dealer and hes given me a price he can stand by , $361.

KenW.
January 17, 2014, 08:49 PM
Looks like it could be Harrison Ford's backup gun on "Blade Runner".

rswartsell
January 19, 2014, 03:22 PM
Whether there were previous threads of not hardluck, that pricing info is of interest to me. Thanks!

HammsBeer
January 19, 2014, 03:45 PM
Anyone know if it has any nanny state safety junk like magazine disconnect or such?

rswartsell
January 19, 2014, 06:59 PM
I believe it has a magazine disconnect and a palm safety. No exterior safety.

gym
January 19, 2014, 08:57 PM
Any dealers selling these? If so I am interested. Two days ago they appeared here, http://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/?keys=remington+&op=, at 3 dealers and sold right out.

Orion8472
January 20, 2014, 08:48 AM
I have heard a few reports [less favorable] that talk about the feel of the grip safety and trigger. They didn't like the audible "click" the safety made [in the event you had to ready your gun quietly . . . for some reason]. Also, they said that they felt the trigger was . . . "hi point-ish". Along with that, they made a comment about "inside the slide machining being rough looking". One of them questioned the fact that Remington didn't have some available for the media day shoot.

With all things, . . . I won't know how the gun will be for me until it comes in and I can manipulate it myself.

Billy Shears
January 20, 2014, 11:10 AM
I suspect any noise the grip safety makes is simply because the gun is new, and wear hasn't smoothed all the surfaces out. I say this because I have Model 51, which is basically the same design, and the there is only a slight click when you squeeze the grip safety because it's a metal part that makes contact with the metal frame when fully depressed.

Orion8472
January 20, 2014, 11:17 AM
I suspect that use will smooth things out for this gun. I still plan on getting one, and unless I just absolutely hate it when I get on in hand, I'm sure there will be a process of "breakin" with it.

One thing is pretty certain. It isn't a straight pull back trigger. But that's okay.

HexHead
January 20, 2014, 11:29 AM
I believe it has a magazine disconnect and a palm safety. No exterior safety.
Since when is a grip safety not considered an "exterior" safety?

gym
January 20, 2014, 11:34 AM
Rough machining in the dust cover or areas that don't really affect accuracy are to be expected with a gun that costs that little. Even CZ leaves the inside of the gun ruff in places that don't come in contact with any moving parts. That shouldn't be a problem, and the click that you hear on the grip safety should wear in, or be able to be removed, it's new and there are likely to be recalls of some sort in the beginning.
I like the flatness and size, it may be a carry rotation candidate, especially if they make a 40. That design is very accurate, and the recoil should be reduced.

MrTuffPaws
January 20, 2014, 01:31 PM
I was really interested until I heard the actual dimensions of the gun. It is taller and longer than the XDs or Shield. Now I really don't see the benefit of it, save for some as of yet up reported miracle of function.

JRH6856
January 20, 2014, 03:07 PM
I've only seen one report of a $420 MSRP and that was in the link I posted in the other thread. Perhaps he was trying to estimate an out the door price based on a $389 MSRP. The $30 difference is about average for sales tax...(at least around here).

gc70
January 20, 2014, 03:14 PM
Now I really don't see the benefit of it, save for some as of yet up reported miracle of function.

For me, the advantage would be a full three-finger grip.

Swichblade
January 20, 2014, 03:47 PM
I can overlook the larger dimensions than previously stated.
The machine marks inside the slide aren't too big of a deal. I can wait to make sure it is reliable.
Now I find out the trigger is hinged and not straight back? Are we going to find out its not true single action, too?

This pistol has felt too good to be true since I first heard about it. I guess my feelings were right.

Billy Shears
January 20, 2014, 04:06 PM
This pistol has felt too good to be true since I first heard about it. I guess my feelings were right.
Good grief! How about waiting until you get a chance to handle one for yourself before pronouncing it dead? Speaking for myself, I'd rather have a Commander-size gun than a real subcompact anyway. I don't pocket carry, and I can conceal a slighly larger gun in the belt scabbards and IWB holsters I carry. A nice, ergonomic, flat 9mm, with a full-length grip for better control, and with a low bore axis and attendant reduced muzzle jump is just the ticket, as far as I'm concerned.

JRH6856
January 20, 2014, 04:36 PM
I think the confusion with the R51 trigger as it is described as "1911 style", and in shape, it is 1911 style. But not in function. In function it is more BHP style, as it apparently pivots.

I've shot a 1911 and a BHP for years. There is difference between the straight and pivoted triggers, but not enough to make a significant difference when shooting.

C0untZer0
January 20, 2014, 08:08 PM
Some people are never happy. :D

herrwalther
January 20, 2014, 09:04 PM
Definitely looks like a pistol I would be interested in. I don't have enough well rounded 9mm in my collection.

HammsBeer
January 20, 2014, 09:20 PM
This video is about Remington's new compact ammo, but there are some slow motion shots of the R51. Man that alloy frame sure is flexing a bunch at the front, almost like a polymer frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P1M8sj_eR4

JRH6856
January 20, 2014, 10:27 PM
^^^Love the bowtie

gc70
January 20, 2014, 10:42 PM
One thing is pretty certain. It isn't a straight pull back trigger.

Do you have a link to a report from someone that has handled an R51?

A more intriguing question is, if the trigger was hinged, where is the trigger pivot pin?

DrDeFab
January 20, 2014, 11:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ddT6X_1m20

Skip to 2:00 - the trigger clearly pivots.

I think the trigger pivot pin is partially obscured on the left side, but there is a visible pin about where I would expect it on the right.

Cooldill
January 21, 2014, 12:00 AM
I have one on order at my LGS. I want the first one he gets.

Also I don't understand why everyone thinks this gun looks so "sci-fi". It just looks liked a smoothed out, melted model 51 (as it should). Not really understanding the space gun comparisons. I guess some dislike that it doesn't look like a brick on top of a squished bar of soap.

gc70
January 21, 2014, 07:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ddT6X_1m20
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ddT6X_1m20)
Skip to 2:00 - the trigger clearly pivots.

I think the trigger pivot pin is partially obscured on the left side, but there is a visible pin about where I would expect it on the right.

Yes, the trigger pivots in some way, but probably not in the way we are accustomed to triggers pivoting.

The writer who first reported on the R51 (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/) and tested it at Gunsite stated "The trigger is really very good and has the same feel as a 1911. In fact the trigger moves straight back like a 1911."

So how do we square a clear and unequivocal statement by the Firearm Blog's senior writer and review manager who actually shot the R51 with the equally clear visual evidence that the trigger pivots in some fashion?

A CAD drawing from one of Remington's videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgmCxuW3rgY) (at 1:45) does not show the trigger attached to either pin above the trigger. The trigger (in blue) sits under the slide lock lever pin (in green) and the face of the trigger surrounds some type of lever that is mounted on the smaller pin (in purple).

Remington's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgmCxuW3rgY) (at 1:11) also shows something highly unusual; the top of the trigger moves down and forward as the pistol is fired, which suggests a pivot point that is not above the trigger as we are familiar with.

Finally, another CAD drawing in Remington's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgmCxuW3rgY) (at 1:13) shows the trigger bow meeting the trigger where there happens to be a roll pin that could connect the trigger to the bow and allow the trigger face to pivot up and down.

It will be most interesting to find out how it really works.

Orion8472
January 21, 2014, 09:36 AM
Interesting, gc70. Perhaps the design of even the trigger is odd enough that one will have to have it in hand before they can know how it works. It's till on an order list for me.

Comrade Mike
January 21, 2014, 10:14 AM
I'm of the "let someone else review it first" camp currently. Looks like a very interesting gun though, nice to see remington back in the game

celem
January 21, 2014, 10:14 AM
I have one on order at my LGS. I want the first one he gets.

Also I don't understand why everyone thinks this gun looks so "sci-fi". It just looks liked a smoothed out, melted model 51 (as it should). Not really understanding the space gun comparisons. I guess some dislike that it doesn't look like a brick on top of a squished bar of soap.

I too have on order with a local dealer. He has allocations with five suppliers trying to get one.

Quiet
January 21, 2014, 11:09 AM
http://www.triangletactical.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Remington-R51-Corrected-Graph.jpg

Orion8472
January 21, 2014, 01:39 PM
Liking the graphic, Quiet. Thanks! :)

W.E.G.
January 21, 2014, 01:53 PM
I like that graphic too.

Smaller than a G19.

That's an important factoid worth knowing.

SwampWolf
January 21, 2014, 06:25 PM
I have to say I'm very disappointed with the looks of Remington's new Model 51. When I first heard that Remington was going to "re-introduce" the Model 51, I was expecting that the new pistol would look like the original (one of the nicest appearing and handling, classic "pocket pistols" ever made, imo) but come with modern production innovations to make it more affordable. Boy, was I ever disillusioned with this "Whitney Wolverine" wannabe! Beauty might be in the mind of the beholder but, likewise, so is ugly. And to this beholder, the new, so-called Model 51 is ugly in the extreme.

Remington's new "Model 51" may prove to be a great pistol and I wish them the best. But it's no Model 51. :(

C0untZer0
January 21, 2014, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure if Buick brought back the Master Six next year, it wouldn't look like it did in 1927

JRH6856
January 21, 2014, 07:13 PM
When Chevy brought back the Impala the only thing unchanged was the spelling.

Swichblade
January 22, 2014, 12:01 AM
Good grief! How about waiting until you get a chance to handle one for yourself before pronouncing it dead?

Yeah, I may be jumping the gun on this, and to be honest, I still want the R51. It's just that the pistol is a few weeks away from being released and the specs are changing. I can't help but be a little skeptical.

JRH6856
January 22, 2014, 02:11 AM
The specs aren't changing so moch as what people are saing is changing. I haven't seen any change in the actual height, length, width and weight numbers since the first announcement. But I have seen a lot of wild size comparisons to other guns that just didn't match with the numbers.

Mitlov
January 22, 2014, 02:23 AM
The only spec I've seen changing is anticipated price, and since (1) the sub-$400 price point was just a guesstimate, not a Remington announcement, and (2) it seemed too good to be true, I'm okay with that.

JRH6856
January 22, 2014, 02:46 AM
The initial $389 MSRP estimate purportedly came from Remington reps at the Gunsite preview. The $420 came from a blogger reporting on what he saw at SHOT. It is possible he was estimating the out-the-door price including sales tax. I really don't know where the number came from. Take your pick. I'll just wait and see.

gc70
January 22, 2014, 05:16 AM
The first review I saw of the R51 was the January 1, 2014 article on TheFirearmBlog.com (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/) which reported:

MSRP is $389!
Weight 20 oz
Width .96
Length 6 inches
Height 4.5 inches
Barrel length 3.4

Remington's 2014 catalog shows the R51 on page 9 (http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/6b8b992c#/6b8b992c/8) and specifications on page 132 (http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/6b8b992c#/6b8b992c/132) of:

MSRP $420
Weight 22 oz.
Length 6 5/8"
Height 4 5/8"
Barrel length 3.4"

JohnnyBravo
January 22, 2014, 10:07 AM
I like the idea of receiving some feed back when the grip safety is deactivated.

One of the issues I have with 1911's and XD's is if your grip is off there is no feedback until the gun fails to fire when you pull the trigger.

JRH6856
January 22, 2014, 11:40 AM
The first review I saw of the R51 was the January 1, 2014 article on TheFirearmBlog.com which reported:

That link goes to the Remington Catalog specs. HERE is a good link to the FireamBlog (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/)

And I stand corrected. I guess the numbers I recorded came from a later review.

Billy Shears
January 22, 2014, 11:42 AM
Another nice thing about the R/51/Model 51 grip safety is that the pivot point is at the bottom, so that a high grip (which is desirable to reduce muzzle flip), can't become a source of shooter-induced malfunctions as it can on 1911-style grips safeties which pivot at the top. On those, gripping the gun as high as possible means gripping it closer to the pivot point where you can't engage it as positively. The "speed bump" on most modern 1911 beavertail grip safeties was invented to solve that problem, but it's a problem which can't arise on the Remington's grip safety.

gc70
January 22, 2014, 02:09 PM
That link goes to the Remington Catalog specs. HERE is a good link to the FireamBlog (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/)

Thanks; I must have flubbed the copy key on that link. :o

SwampWolf
January 22, 2014, 04:22 PM
I'm pretty sure if Buick brought back the Master Six next year, it wouldn't look like it did in 1927

If it didn't look like the 1927 Master Six, it wouldn't be a 1927 Master Six; it'd be something else, for better or worse, just as is in the case of the new Remington "Model 51".

Mitlov
January 22, 2014, 04:52 PM
If it didn't look like the 1927 Master Six, it wouldn't be a 1927 Master Six; it'd be something else, for better or worse, just as is in the case of the new Remington "Model 51".

It wouldn't be a 1927 Master Six, but it could still be a Master Six. A 2015 Ford Mustang isn't a 1964 Ford Mustang, but it's still a Ford Mustang. A gen-3 Glock 19 and a Gen-4 Glock 19 aren't identical, but they're both Glocks, right?

Since Remington is selling this with a similar-but-not-identical name (R51 instead of Model 51), and not stating it's following a particular model year design, I think it's more comparable to the Ford Mustang example or the Glock 19 example than the 1927 Master Six example.

JRH6856
January 22, 2014, 05:01 PM

There is no "new Remington 'Model 51'". The new Remington is a Model R51. :uhoh:

chris in va
January 22, 2014, 05:08 PM
I don't suppose someone could overlay the R51 compared to a CZ P01 and Kahr K9? I have both. The K9 is my more 'covert' carry pistol but I can't shoot lead through it.

Billy Shears
January 22, 2014, 09:17 PM
For what it's worth, here's one of the first shooting reviews:

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/remingtons-r51-9mm-pistol/27518/

barnbwt
January 23, 2014, 07:47 PM
Remember how I said earlier "if Remington uses that stupid 'Express' finish from their shotguns on the new flagship pistol it would be very unwise?"

Sure enough;
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/RemingtonR51CT.jpg
http://besuguns.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/870.jpg
Hop over to Gunblast; the super hi-res images even capture the finish already peeling from the corners of the gun:banghead:. Probably already impregnated with a protective rust-like coating, too. I don't get it; even painting over the machine/tumble marks with Duracoat is a superior finish, so why not do that? Or cheap chrome plating? Or anything else, for that matter? To go to all the trouble of designing and programming those graceful curves into CAD and CNC, then coarse-blasting the thing and spraying --I don't know, frying-pan Teflon?-- all over it to form the single worst finish for a sweat-soaked carry gun imaginable.

I'm not ready to write off Big Green, or any company (I still think Caracal is a good pistol company), but it is obvious they have no idea what their customers' expectations are. Remington should have done the first few waves of guns as primarly 600$ "deluxe" models* with polished slides (like the publicity photos, sheesh :rolleyes:) and attractive grips, since that's what people will be paying over msrp early on anyway, and those guns would have been good ambassadors for an untested product from a company that is disgraced in the eyes of many. Oh well, at least Pedersen's patents have long expired, and Remington has shown that there is interest in the design, so perhaps a company with a clue about marketing (Taurus) will cash in on the concept if Remington refuses to**.

Putting that bit of disappointment aside (for now);
A Mr. Adam Walker is apparently the man behind this new offering. We should probably keep an eye on him; unless the gun literally bursts into flame and maims thousands, he should be a rock star in the industry for a while. Especially since he is a younger guy (kinda cool to know that gohmers aren't running everything even at a company as staid as Remington)

Another SHOT review (apparently the safety clicks when released)
http://www.hausofguns.com/2014/01/17/remington-r51-9mm-shot-show-2014/

TCB

*Warhawk Edition :D
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-49plJ34-RJs/Utm4-b-8FvI/AAAAAAAAAKY/nMPwMiaHvtI/w500-h330-no/R51.png
**Like, why isn't this gun being forced into Hollywood as we speak? The suppressed version looks as iconic as anything Bond ever held.

gym
January 23, 2014, 08:57 PM
It seems like just one more gun for the under 8 round mag limit states. Otherwise why not make it a 10 rounder. Every large company wants to have at least 1 pistol in the game, for the states that require 8 rounds or less.

JRH6856
January 23, 2014, 10:30 PM
*Warhawk Edition

Now that is ugly. :eek:

mgmorden
January 23, 2014, 11:01 PM
It seems like just one more gun for the under 8 round mag limit states. Otherwise why not make it a 10 rounder. Every large company wants to have at least 1 pistol in the game, for the states that require 8 rounds or less.

Because a 10-round 9mm magazine would make it a double stack and they were going for the concealed carry market where a thin gun is desirable. .

Kahr, Ruger, Keltec, S&W, Taurus, Beretta, and Bersa were all making 6-7 round single stack 9mm's before NY adopted their 7 round limit.

barnbwt
January 24, 2014, 12:34 AM
10 rounds makes it like 5/8" longer in a direction that's harder to conceal. I guess the 1911 is just a ban-pandsring platform, too :rolleyes:?

TCB

gc70
January 24, 2014, 02:36 AM
Hop over to Gunblast; the super hi-res images even capture the finish already peeling from the corners of the gun. Probably already impregnated with a protective rust-like coating, too. I don't get it; even painting over the machine/tumble marks with Duracoat is a superior finish, so why not do that? Or cheap chrome plating? Or anything else, for that matter? To go to all the trouble of designing and programming those graceful curves into CAD and CNC, then coarse-blasting the thing and spraying --I don't know, frying-pan Teflon?-- all over it to form the single worst finish for a sweat-soaked carry gun imaginable.

The slide is reportedly (http://www.downrange.tv/blog/remingtons-r51-9mm-pistol/27518/2/) given a ferritic nitrocarburizing treatment, which is discussed here: Metal Treatments: Ferritic Nitrocarburizing/Melonite/Tenifer (http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/08/metal-treatments-ferritic.html).

Of course, who knows what final cosmetic finish is applied over the ferritic nitrocarburizing or over the anodized aluminum frame.

HammsBeer
January 24, 2014, 11:12 PM
Looks to be melonite on the slide, hard coat anodized frame, and stainless barrel. All relatively corrosion resistant.

JRH6856
January 24, 2014, 11:31 PM
Looks to be melonite on the slide, hard coat anodized frame, and stainless barrel. All relatively corrosion resistant.

And some where, I saw a report that the slide was stainless as well.

maxsnafu
January 25, 2014, 07:03 PM
I sure hope this gun is easier to field strip than the original Model 51. The original is a booger.

Mitlov
January 26, 2014, 12:49 AM
maxsnafu--here's a video of how to field-strip the R51 (starts about halfway through): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWpeAqe4k0k

MagnunJoe
January 26, 2014, 10:22 AM
Actually liberal states require 7 rounds or less.

Mitlov
January 26, 2014, 06:20 PM
Actually liberal states require 7 rounds or less.

The Remington R51 is 7+1 capacity, and New York limits magazines at 7 rounds. I don't think the +1 in the chamber counts for purposes of the NY magazine limit. I'm not certain, but that's my understanding.

maxsnafu
January 26, 2014, 06:42 PM
maxsnafu--here's a video of how to field-strip the R51 (starts about halfway through): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWpeAqe4k0k
Thanks Mitlov. Here's a video on field stripping the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hewd6JrORwo

Orion8472
January 26, 2014, 08:59 PM
I wonder how the barrel and bolt comes out of the new one, . . . . . since I watched how detailed it is on the old Remington 51.

VA27
January 26, 2014, 11:31 PM
There's a new vid from SHOT on youtube showing a field strip. Looks fast and easy.

barnbwt
January 26, 2014, 11:38 PM
The rings on the new barrel are there to grip with your fingers as the barrel is (I think) pulled forward and rotated to free it from the frame.

TCB

JRH6856
January 26, 2014, 11:46 PM
I believe the original 51 had those rings as well. But the question (at least for me) is how does the R51 slide assembly break down. That isn't shown.

Eb1
January 27, 2014, 12:28 AM
I am going to get one. I live near Lonoke, and I figure "The Rock" comes from slang for Little Rock, AR.

If the gun is as cool as it looks and ride good iwb, and the have new +p golden sabers then I'll give it a shot. Haha

Orion8472
January 27, 2014, 10:37 AM
I'm going to guess that it will be a bit more involved than the typical Browning design, . . . but really, . . . . it's no big deal if the owner's manual shows the steps well enough. I'm not scared of what the process will be.

If you enjoyed reading about "The New Remington R51" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!