Finally got myself a sporter mauser

PDA

swampcrawler
January 17, 2014, 01:45 PM
This came into a local shop a few days ago and my buddy gave me a heads up on it. IV been looking for a nice mauser sporter for a while now. I don't know much about it other than it has a good bore, Lyman all American 4x scope, Lyman front sight, but no rear.

Wood is well worn, but bluing is still great with zero rust. Has a very nice feeling Mashburn arms co trigger which I'm unfamiliar with. Also has weird set screw locking action screws that iv never seen before as well as a random screw through the forend and brass piece in bottom of stock. Rifle was bedded long ago, the compound is all crusty not though. Needs redoing.

What do you guys think? Anyone know who Mashburn arms co is or why the random screw and brass piece?

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally got myself a sporter mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bainter1212
January 17, 2014, 01:51 PM
Should be easy to find a replacement stock if you feel like doing that.

swampcrawler
January 17, 2014, 01:59 PM

More pics. Sorry about them being tiny. Posting from a smart phone and don't know how to fix that.

And yes a replacement stock would be easy enough but I like this one. :D

Dr.Rob
January 17, 2014, 03:09 PM
Those 'weird locking screws' are standard on military Mausers, which yours is.

I'd start with a fresh stock, that's had a LOT of work done.. Could be cracks under the bedding that screw through the front is holding together.

Ron James
January 17, 2014, 03:38 PM
Back in the day, Mashburn was a very well known gunsmith and wildcatter. ( I believe the name is still being used, but has no relation to the original Art Mashburn ). If I suspected the gun had been in Mashburn's shop, I would have a chamber cast made to ensure it had not been chambered in 300 Mashburn Magnum or similar. Mashburn always stamped his rifles but who knows, maybe sometime in its life some one polished the heck out of and remove the markings. Never hurts to be careful.

Jim K
January 17, 2014, 03:39 PM
Mashburn was a well-known custom rifle builder and maker of gun accessories, especially replacement triggers, in the post-WWII era. I don't know if Mashburn sporterized that gun or (more likely) simply made the trigger that someone else installed. The serial number, plus the Nazi-era proof mark, indicates that the rifle was military, probably a K.98k. It should be marked "Mod.98" on the left siderail and have a manufacturer's code and date under the scope base.

Jim

swampcrawler
January 17, 2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Yes it is marked "mod 98" on left side of receiver.

Ok I may look into a new stock. I like the Super slim, straight wrist designed like this rifle.

Anyone know where to get something similar? Or even recomend a custom maker and give me an idea of what that would cost?

Also I'm missing the rear lock screw. The one that locks the action screw. (Sorry I don't know the proper terms) anyone know where to get one?

LAGS
January 17, 2014, 11:14 PM
@ Swampcraller
You can bet the screws from Brownells, Midway Gun Parts Corp or at a local gun show.
Have you thought about looking at Boyd's Gunstocks in either finished or Semi Inletted.
I build my own Stocks from Blanks, but often use Boyds Semi Inletted when I need to put a rifle together quickly, since I lost the access to a duplicator that I could use from time to time.

Why dont you try your hand at reshaping and refinishing the stock you have on the gun now.
You have nothing to loose if it doesn't come out the way you want it to.
How do you think many of us started out doing stocks when we first got started ?

bainter1212
January 17, 2014, 11:24 PM
Yep, see what you can do with what you have and then decide later whether to buy new or not.

I ordered a custom rifle stock two years ago and it cost me $250.....thats cheap for a custom. I have also used Boyds and IMO they are well done and worth every penny. A great value.

swampcrawler
January 17, 2014, 11:53 PM
IM not sure I have a bough wood on the stock to re shape it much. My problem with it ergonomically is that the grip (Wrist?) Is too small and too closed.

That and I currently barely have the time to place orders right now due to work, much less actually do much work to anything.

Also I have used a boydes ss evolution stock on a 17 hmr before. I agree. Worth the money

LAGS
January 18, 2014, 01:13 AM
I Swampcrawler
When I have an old beater stock, and I want to play with different designs or shapes, with a stick that is too thin like you said in the wrist or grip.
I shave down flat spots, then laminate semi matching wood to the stock and then reshape it.
Sometimes those make really nice stocks , especially when I do a coat of Fiberglass Resin over them, then Camo paint the stock.
Doing that allowes me to work out a design, that I would use as a pattern to run in a Duplicator, and make the same stock out of a nice Blank.
I have also built up my patterns with Bondo and reshaped areas, like to fatten out a grip area, or forend.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally got myself a sporter mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!