Shot the Glock 42 yesterday

PDA

Ankeny
January 18, 2014, 10:19 AM
I got to run a couple of dozen rounds through the Glock 42 yesterday. Pretty cool little gun, going for $440.00 at the LGS. Not the gun for me, but I think they will find their niche. FWIW, it has the typical Glock trigger which I think is much better than my old LCP. Very soft shooting. Bigger than some .380 mouse guns, lighter (not necessarily smaller) than some of the tiny 9mms. Very soft shooting for the recoil consious. Of course, if it were a 9mm I would own one. But I certainly am not going to get rid of my Sig P238 to move to the Glock.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot the Glock 42 yesterday" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bush Pilot
January 18, 2014, 10:24 AM
I'm curious how you got one to shoot. The owner of my LGS said Glock gave orders to the distributors NOT to ship the guns until Jan 22nd of this month.

Vodoun da Vinci
January 18, 2014, 12:00 PM
Well done and thanks for the feedback! My Wife and I are eagerly awaiting release/distribution as we are gonna have one of these to give a thorough test and that means buy it and shoot the dickens out of it! :evil:

Our LGS told me they won't have any available until next year! :confused:

That means I'll be finding on online and paying the transfer fee which is fine by me.

VooDoo

okc-zee
January 18, 2014, 12:41 PM
I'm curious how you got one to shoot. The owner of my LGS said Glock gave orders to the distributors NOT to ship the guns until Jan 22nd of this month.

Lgs here has one as well.. saw it two days ago...It was the only one he had and said he was keeping it..he was expecting a few more before the end of the month and said the price will be $439...I fondled it and it was nice ,but IMO too big for a 380...I read on some other forums of them turning up here and there already as well..

Peter M. Eick
January 18, 2014, 01:00 PM
How does it compare size wise and in your had to your 238?

I am just trying to put it in perspective mentally.

Wishoot
January 18, 2014, 01:11 PM
They can price this gun anywhere they want. I wouldn't buy one for any price.

Why in the world Glock wouldn't listen to their customers and give us a single stack 9mm instead of this thing is beyond me.

Peter M. Eick
January 18, 2014, 01:21 PM
My bet is the Glock 42 will be an extremely big seller. Pretty much regardless of the price. They know their market pretty well, and I see a lot of "non-shooter" type folks that know what a Glock is and this one is small, reliable and works well. As the shooter pointed out above recoil is mild so first time shooters or occasional shooters will love it.

I understand your feeling about wanting it to be a 9mm. Maybe some day. But for now I think Glock did listen to its customers and is giving them exactly what they want. A 380.

Only time will tell if you or I am right.

By the way, I will buy one just on the principal that it is a 380. I will add it to my other 380 "fun guns".

PabloJ
January 18, 2014, 01:36 PM

Why in the world Glock wouldn't listen to their customers and give us a single stack 9mm instead of this thing is beyond me.
Look, we are in dire need of professional grade polymer 9x17mm. There is a void there after SiG 230/232 or Walther PPK/PPKs which has not been filled until now.

Mitlov
January 18, 2014, 02:22 PM
There are a lot of single-stack 9mm subcompacts. Kahr has a couple, Springfield has the XDS, S&W has the Shield, etc. 380s that are big enough to shoot comfortably (as opposed to pocket guns like the LCP) and don't have long/heavy DAO triggers are a LOT more rare. I'm sure Glock will eventually produce an XDS/Shield fighter, but I think the market that the Glock 42 serves was more under-served, so I get why they addressed that first.

The people who are looking for a Glock 42 sort of gun are generally not the types who post on internet gun forums, so it may create the impression that nobody wants the G42, but I think it's going to be massively-popular when it actually comes to sales.

Nakanokalronin
January 18, 2014, 02:48 PM
People are posting online that they want one, but unless an equally sized 9mm is too much for them to handle, I just don't get it. For those saying they'll buy one online, the last two separate G42 auctions on GB went for over $800 each to the same guy. There are even people saying the dimensions to the LCP are not that much different....yea okay...

Don't forget the thinness difference and the fact they both carry the same amount of rounds. The G42 is geared toward the recoil shy and people that just want everything Glock. I just can't see any other reason for buying one.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/822/r3zz.jpg

Vodoun da Vinci
January 18, 2014, 03:58 PM
You are correct - you just don't get it. Some of us like .380 ACP....a *lot* of us like .380 pistols. A lot of us who like .380 pistols like Glocks.

Glock built us a pistol. 9mm single stack lovers who wanted a Glock single stack? They built you a pistol too!! They just haven't released it yet because there is more demand for a .380 right now than there is for a 9mm in the exact same pistol. Hold on tight, it'll be OK.

I predict the G42 will be a G4X within a year as a single stack 9mm. I'm a 9mm lover too and I have my ultimate Glock 9mm carry gun in the G26...lots of us love Glock 9mm but we'll be buying the .380 G42 instead of a Glock single stack 9mm. I don't need another 9mm from Glock...I have the G19 and G26 and if I really need another 9mm pistol and it has to be single stack I'll buy and XD-S in 9mm as they just came out with the XD-S 4.0.

VooDoo

Wishoot
January 18, 2014, 04:25 PM
I have no problem with .380. I carry an LCP every day.

chris in va
January 18, 2014, 04:29 PM
The G42 is locked breech, correct? I suspect this is why it will be popular, because many 380's are blowback which has more felt recoil. Plus people trust Glocks.

jfrey
January 18, 2014, 06:45 PM
Did I miss something but what was the Glock 40 and 41 models? I think Glock waited a little late to get into the game on this one. I already have a Shield and LCP so I probably won't be buying one of these. I'm also wondering if the internals will swap out with regular stuff or if they will be a special size like the G36 in some cases.

jmr40
January 18, 2014, 06:57 PM

I'm betting Glock DID listen to their customers. Those of us who hang out on internet forums are in the minority and our opinions probably don't reflect what the vast majority of gun buyers want.

Our opinions may well be more informed. At least most of us would like to think so, but Glock and any other company is going to manufacture products they can sell and a make a profit on. They do lots of research to determine that.

Personally I'd have perefered a 9mm too. But I see this all the time. Guys complain that various gun makers don't make a gun they want without realizing that they and 3 other people are the only 4 who would buy one.

dbmjr1
January 18, 2014, 07:08 PM
I'm holding out for a Glock in .25acp.:evil:

GlockFan
January 18, 2014, 07:48 PM
At GAT Guns in Dundee IL today for the IL CCW course. Thought I would look at the cases before the class started. There is a guy standing there with a 42. They have one for showing and expecting delivery soon. He then started the paperwork to order one. Price is $399 for civilians and $319 for LEO. Throughout the day there was always someone looking at the gun. Sorry didn't see the 41 in yet. No price for civilian yet but $481 for LEO.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/Glockfan_photos/20140118_084613_zpsc4d02f18.jpg (http://s750.photobucket.com/user/Glockfan_photos/media/20140118_084613_zpsc4d02f18.jpg.html)

Master Blaster
January 18, 2014, 08:06 PM
The LCP is smaller easier to conceal and oh yeah locked breach not blow back as well. If I want a carry gun as big as my G26 I'll carry my G26.

Mitlov
January 18, 2014, 08:24 PM
If I want a carry gun as big as my G26 I'll carry my G26.

It's "as big as a G26" in height and length, but not width or weight. The Glock 26 is 25% thicker, and most importantly, it's 85% heavier than a Glock 42 (comparing loaded weight to loaded weight).

The LCP is smaller easier to conceal and oh yeah locked breach not blow back as well.

The LCP also has a DAO trigger that not everyone likes, and has a reputation for being painful to shoot for some. To each their own...isn't more variety in the market a good thing?

Nakanokalronin
January 18, 2014, 08:26 PM
There are a lot of pocket sized locked breach .380s out there, so that reason to get a G42 is nonexistent. I'm sorry but liking a large .380 would only be because someone is recoil sensitive like I stated, not because you like the more expensive, harder to find caliber over a 9mm. If you're recoil sensitive, then the G42, LC380,PK380 and the like is the pistol for you.

The problem is Glock claims they gave Glock fans what they where asking for. What they failed to comprehend was that people where looking for a LCP, BG380, DB380, etc sized .380. I don't recall seeing one post on any forum where someone wanted a large .380 the size of current 9mms, only a very small pocket size model.

I'm also sure Glock will eventually come out with a single stack 9mm, but it will be bigger in most dimensions since the 9mm cartridge is too big for the mag and grip on the G42.

Vodoun da Vinci
January 18, 2014, 08:30 PM
I shot an LCP and so did my Wife....kicks like an angry mule and follow ups? Not for smaller/less experienced people. Videos of the G42 banging away show low bore axis (Glock!!) and moderate to low recoil...this means fast follow ups and Mama has a new carry gun. :)

The LCP is awesome...it kicks too hard 'cause it's a teeny, tiny, toy .380. The Glock 42 is a real gun for folks who want .380 and want a real gun. There are a lot of them and will be an unbelievable number of other when they shoot them.

VooDoo

SharpsDressedMan
January 18, 2014, 08:36 PM
People can put it down before they handle or shoot it, or just not buy it, but not both. Oh, wait! They CAN do both! :rolleyes:

Nakanokalronin
January 18, 2014, 08:37 PM
So it's about recoil, and that's what I mentioned before. For those people, it's ideal. If Glock can pull off a 9mm close to the same size, they where wise to release the .380 first because they know it would sell a whole lot less if it came out after a 9mm version. I know this would be huge hit in other countries where 9mm is not allowed to be owned by private citizens.

IdahoSkies
January 18, 2014, 08:43 PM
I'm not a glock fan by any stretch. But .380s really do have their place. Most of the .380 pocket guns are a descendent of the Keltec p32 in some fashion. (Keltec's pt380 spawned Ruger's LCP which kicked off this whole mess). A .380 in a 10oz gun is to much for me to accurately and consistently place rounds, and I like shooting a 10mm. that's why my everyday is a p32, and not the pt380 or an LCP.

For a long time Bersa's .380 or a sig (not counting the colt and its sig remake) in .380 was all there was in a reasonably packaged .380. Ruger saw this and put out an slightly larger LCP in .380 to fit between their 9 and pocket .380. Its a good size with a bad trigger.

I expect a Glock in .380 will build a following in folks who recognize that a .380 is a decent self defense round (its not LEO or military round, but that is not what they are buying). They will buyer will get the "glock" brand in a package that is easy to carry with striker fire trigger and with a soft recoil. There really is not anything on the market that fits that niche. Folks were saying the same thing when ruger put out the LCP.

Master Blaster
January 18, 2014, 10:48 PM
My LCP kicks like a mule? Really? In two years of shooting it I never noticed That fact. I always learn something new every time I come to THR.

GlockFan
January 18, 2014, 11:10 PM
My LCP kicks like a mule? Really? In two years of shooting it I never noticed That fact. I always learn something new every time I come to THR.

You also didn't learn not everyone is like you. Did you not see he also mentioned his wife? My Keltec p3at is as bad or worse than my Glock 19 btw.

snooperman
January 20, 2014, 10:14 AM
I have the Ruger LCP as well as the blow-back SIG P230. The LCP is much smaller and lighter but does not kick as much as the older heavier SIG and is easier to rack than the SIG too. I think the Glock 42 will fill the Niche well for those wanting a light-weight 380 that is easy to rack and shoot, including me. It is a little lighter in weight than the Ruger LC380. I am going to get one when the buying frenzy is over. I like the 380 , and with the right kind of ammo, it is fine for a CCW. Quick follow-up shots can make a big difference in a gun like that. Especially for the elderly like me, people with arthritis and women who lack the strength to handle the "pocket nines".

Vodoun da Vinci
January 20, 2014, 04:19 PM
Well, not your LCP...probably just the one we shot. In my Wife's hands the LCP yields more flip/recoil than our G26 which is 9mm. I shot the LCP and liked the gun but it kicks and snaps as hard as my Px4 subcompact in 9mm...I have no problem carrying the Px4 and the LCP's trigger is not so hot so for me it's a no brainer.

I'm sorry to be obtuse but I'm not dis respecting the LCP as much as I'm trying to tell people that smaller, inexperienced shooters (a lot of them in our study/support group - almost all of them) really want to like and buy the LCP because it's a Ruger and it's small, light, and easy to carry. But the recoil has them shooting one mag worth and putting the gun down for good. The display case of used guns at my LGS has more used LCP's than any other gun. People training for CCW here in Illinois buy them cause the salesman said so, they shoot 'em, then they sell 'em and get a larger heavier pistol in .380 and learn to carry/hide it.

VooDoo

BSA1
January 20, 2014, 05:45 PM
VooDoo makes a good point which is when it comes to small, lightweight guns that hotter the cartridge the more UNEQUAL the reaction will be. Guns like J Frames chambered in 357 magnum and the small, lightweight semi-autos that only allow a couple of fingers around the grip seem like a great c.c. option until the first time it is shot with full power loads.

gym
January 20, 2014, 06:04 PM
That is the most common mistake older people and females make, as well as men. I saw a woman at the show on Sat. buying 2, S&W 357's,J frames as her first guns, it was sad, I almost intervened, she thought that Night sites were lasers, and she had never fired one that size, if at all. There was a robbery on her block, so now anything goes.
She needed a larger frame and lower pressure round, like a full size 9mm, with 147 grain rounds, or a 38 Ruger with 357 capability for later. Small guns with hi pressure rounds like 40, or 380, 357 sig, are bad for accuracy and intimidate new shooters.

Nick Burkhardt
January 20, 2014, 06:31 PM
The "reason" for the G42 is so people could have a .380 with a Glock trigger.

Beentown
January 20, 2014, 07:21 PM
Meh, to me I see no use in it. I'll take a 9mm Kahr over this. It when's in every department. The 9mm Kahrs are very easy too shoot. A 9mm Glock single stack seemed more in line with others I know that aren't even gunnies.

guyfromohio
January 20, 2014, 07:42 PM
I don't buy a Ford because I hate Chevy. I won't buy a G42 because I'm getting rid of all my other guns. I'll get a G42 because I can. I enjoy .380s. I always have.

Big_John1961
January 20, 2014, 08:11 PM

My guess would be that an even larger segment of their customer base was clamoring for a .380.

Ankeny
January 20, 2014, 08:54 PM
Meh, to me I see no use in it. I'll take a 9mm Kahr over this. It when's in every department. The 9mm Kahrs are very easy too shoot. A 9mm Glock single stack seemed more in line with others I know that aren't even gunnies. I had a Kahr CW9 for quite some time. I prefer the 9mm over the .380, but the the Glock 42 is much easier to shoot...as in huge difference.

Strahley
January 20, 2014, 08:58 PM

Local shop around here had and posted pictures of one back on January 10th

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/chargerarms/Glock%2042/glock42.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/chargerarms/Glock%2042/42238slide.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/chargerarms/Glock%2042/42238transposed.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/chargerarms/Glock%2042/42238dual.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/chargerarms/Glock%2042/42pocket9.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/chargerarms/Glock%2042/42238transposed2.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/chargerarms/Glock%2042/42with9round.jpg

razorback2003
January 20, 2014, 10:00 PM
Is it very easy for someone with weak strength, such as an elderly person, to pull the slide back and disassemble the Glock 42?

gym
January 20, 2014, 10:20 PM
If you are interested, they are up for sale on Slickguns.com again, as they were earlier, but the earlier one was LEO's only, this is for anyone who wants to spend 600 dollars on this gun. Here is what Maas wrote about it if anyone is interested, It's not my opinion so don't pop off at me about it either way please.
http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/

Vodoun da Vinci
January 21, 2014, 07:27 AM
Excellent read - thanks for the link! :)

I pretty much think exactly like Mr. Ayoob on this subject minus the personal experience with the G42 which I *will* gain as soon as I have access to one for purchase. Not for everyone - not for me but there are folks in my Family and my Group that will use, train with, and carry this pistol where other guns might not work so well for them. I'll likely keep to my Beretta Px4 SC and G26 but the G42 is fills a niche that will become very, very, popular.

...and training and carrying a G42 will make them safer than 90% of the general unarmed poplulation which is good for all of us.

Win/Win IMO.

VooDoo

jimbo555
January 21, 2014, 08:07 AM
I think Glock is going to come out with the 9mm version next. Kind of a reverse of rugers lc9 and lc380.

hentown
January 21, 2014, 08:09 AM
Glock's production of .380s for American consumption has nothing to do with "standard" market research practices. Austrians are extremely logical people. Glock/Austria probably correctly assumed that any population that would elect Obammy as Prez of the U.S. would probably be be gullible enough to buy .380s. :evil:

Quiet
January 21, 2014, 10:31 AM
Glock 42
MSRP = $399
LE pricing (blue label) = $319

H&Hhunter
January 21, 2014, 10:52 AM
I shot an LCP and so did my Wife....kicks like an angry mule and follow ups?

I agree if you are talking about a really small mule with padded feet.;)

Ankeny
January 21, 2014, 10:58 AM
Ayoob wrote," I was impressed with its ease of operation, extremely mild “kick,” and accurate delivery of rapid fire. There are a helluva lot of people – petite females, the elderly, the disabled – who will shoot faster and straighter with this gun than with something more powerful. There, I think, is its market niche…"

I think he nailed it.

H&Hhunter
January 21, 2014, 11:01 AM
Ankeny'

100% agreed. I think I am going to let my wife shoot the G-42. And I bet I wind up buying her one. She like Vodoun da Vinci does not like the LCP for the same reasons.

JohnBiltz
January 21, 2014, 05:02 PM
I bought a LCP and put a few hundred rounds through it. I really really did not like it. After putting a hundred rounds through it my finger joints were hurting bad. Accuracy was bad but I could have gotten that down with practice. The long double action trigger was something I was just not used to. The big trouble was I did not want to practice with it. It was just too unpleasant to shoot.

Do I want to own a G42? No not really, I carry a G26 now and the G42 is basically just thinner. So not enough gain in size for the loss of caliber and capacity. Here is the thing though, if I was asked for a recommendation of a gun by the elderly or a small woman who is having trouble pulling the slide back on a 9mm its probably going to be my recommendation in a year or two.

JohnBiltz
January 21, 2014, 05:12 PM
No it doesn't kick like a mule or a magnum. A magnum produces more recoil but there is more to hang on to and ride the recoil. There just is not enough gun there for the recoil. Not enough weight and more important not enough gun to grip.

Here is the problem with your argument; we have shot it too. You are arguing your experience is superior to ours. Its not, its just different. Your basically saying are you going to believe me or your lying eyes.

razorback2003
January 21, 2014, 05:33 PM
Is the slide as easy as the Remington R51 to pull back for someone with weak hands?

gym
January 21, 2014, 05:37 PM
Mass wrote more than the selected paragraph, I posted the link last night. here is what he wrote in it's entirety.Posted: 20 Jan 2014 08:00 AM PST

Looking through the relatively thin pickings of meaningful new gun designs in this year’s crop, I noticed that one I mentioned here, the Glock 42, a seven-shot .380 pistol, got a ton of comment on the internet. Much of that commentary was on the theme of “if I’m going to carry a gun that size, I’d want it in full power 9mm Parabellum, not a wussy .380 a/k/a 9mm Short.”
Let me make it clear: I’m not a .380 fan. In 40-plus years of studying gunfights – not just reading books, but personally debriefing survivors and going over autopsy reports – I’ve come to consider the .380 marginal if not sub-marginal as a defensive weapon. I’ve just seen too many cases of the bad guy sucking up bullet after .380 bullet in vital zones and still coming. But, I’ve also seen cases like the recent controversial Tampa shooting, in which a senior citizen dropped the man he shot with a single .380 to the chest. (I’ve seen one-shot stops with well-placed .22 bullets, too, but I don’t recommend a .22 for self-defense, either.)
If you go on the gun forums, you’ll find that a recurrent theme is “how much is enough to use for self-defense, and how much is too much?” And you’ll discover that there’s some ego investment in those discussions.
The meme seems to be, “If you carry more (more powerful ammo, more cartridges, even more guns) than I do, you’re paranoid. And if you carry less than I do, you’re a pathetic sheeple.”
Oh, good Lord…
First, if you’re carrying a seven-shot .380, you are better prepared to defend yourself against a homicidal armed criminal than a high 90th percentile of the population, who are carrying nothing at all which could realistically stop such an attack.
But, second, if that attack actually comes, you might wish you had something a little more than than a .380. The saying is: “You’ll never meet a gunfight survivor who says he wishes he’d had fewer, less powerful rounds.”
Having shot the new Glock 42 with more .380 rounds than most folks outside the Glock factory, I was impressed with its ease of operation, extremely mild “kick,” and accurate delivery of rapid fire. There are a helluva lot of people – petite females, the elderly, the disabled – who will shoot faster and straighter with this gun than with something more powerful. There, I think, is its market niche…wait a year or two, and see, but I expect it to become a best-seller.
Will I carry one? Probably not. Whenever a gun magazine asks me to test a .380, I feel like Ralph Nader test-driving a Corvair for Motor Trend. But as someone who trains others to shoot, I am going to see about buying my test sample to keep it on hand so students who don’t think or function as I do, can try it.
As I write this, I’m wearing a different Glock pistol. It’s much more powerful than a .380, and holds far more cartridges than the slim little G42, and I have a spare “high capacity” magazine on the opposite hip. That works for me, but I have to accept that some other people need something different to fit their abilities, their lifestyles, their dress codes.
God save us from BS memes. A center hit with a .380 beats a miss or even a peripheral hit with a .44 Magnum.
Something is better than nothing.

357SIG
January 21, 2014, 11:39 PM
It seems to me this gun offers nothing over the 26/27/33 for general CCW. The height and length, as well as shape, make the biggest difference for most modes of carry. With that observation, I'll keep my 33 with 10-round capacity, and the ability to use an extra 15-round G31 mag. That said, it'll be great for those wanting something slightly slimmer, or something chambered in the same cartridge as their husband or wife's pistol.

PabloJ
January 30, 2014, 03:23 AM

To me the appearance of G42 suggests that someone at Glock corp needs to shown the door.

Vodoun da Vinci
January 30, 2014, 07:22 AM
To me the appearance of G42 suggests that someone at Glock corp needs to shown the door.

It's not for you...it's for the rest of us who love Glocks but need something in this concept. Judging by the extremely brisk sales and the number of folks who *do* want a G42 you might want to consider the idea that maybe you don't quite have yer finger on the pulse of Glock engineering, development, marketing nor really understand what the majority wants and needs. Somebody (possibly the guy who needs to be "shown the door") at Glock understands this better than you do. I'm sure some find this statement to be offensive but this is not my intent and I apologize to any offended....someone at Glock knows how to assess and cater to the actual demand.

I bought one- I love it. Maybe not as much as my G26 but my Wife loves it better than our G26. I know everyone wanted a single stack 9mm but I promise I won't whine when they release that cause I don't want one or see the need. :) The G42 is just what the doctor ordered for an awful lot of new Glock buyers.

VooDoo

PabloJ
January 30, 2014, 07:57 AM
I suspect many G42 buyers do not realize .380 is 9x17.

Ankeny
January 30, 2014, 09:02 AM
I suspect new owners of the G42 know it is a .380. They are lasting about 5 minutes on the shelves around here.

The interesting thing is, one of our local dealers has 3 SIG 938s in stock.That same dealer also has 8-10 of the SIG 238S in stock. One of the guys behind the counter told me they sell 10-15 of the P238s (.380) for every one of the Sig 938 (9mm) mainly because of recoil concerns with the typical buyers. Yesterday they sat out another 6-8 LCPs. I think maybe the .380 market is still on the upswing.

Vodoun da Vinci
January 30, 2014, 10:12 AM
So we (many thousands of us) are buying the Glock 42's because we don't know what we are buying? :what:

Yer kidding, right? Trust me, please, we all know the Glock 42 is a small .380 single stack Glock/polymer pistol. No one of us is been bamboozled or confused about what we are buying - we are not delusional nor stupid and uninformed. This gun suits tens of thousands of potential or existing CCW candidates.

My Wife and I shot over 30 pistols this Summer looking for our preferred CCW guns and until the G42 she has not found a concealable, simple, accurate, and controllable pistols she could manage in rapid fire and get consistent accurate follow ups with. I'm cool (very cool) with my Beretta Px4 SC and Glock 26. She wanted a Glock that was thinner and recoiled less - she is a small person 5' and 110 lbs or so and simply will never manage a teeny, tiny, pistol in .380 or 9mm.

The G42 is perfect. We also have a small support group of CCW wannabees who are friends and family and are trying our pistols and looking for their own preferred CCW Soul Mates. And at least half of them are coming to the conclusion that the smallest pistol they can find in .45 or 9mm is simply too snappy for them to be comfortable with.

The G42 fills a niche and need that is valid and has been researched...we aren't all delusional or confused.

Please...

VooDoo

M1key
January 30, 2014, 10:50 AM
I have to laugh at the G42 detractors implying that the Glock Corp. must have lost their collective minds when they came out with this "new" offering. A lighter, more reliable, up-to-date version of the Walther PPK? Heck, we all know THAT one was never popular or commercially successful...LOL.

M

Byron
January 30, 2014, 11:07 AM
I have owned the G42 for about a week now and put several hundred rounds through it.It is very accurate at 7 yards.No jams. The .380 is not a 45ACP and it was not meant to be. It is a balanced cartridge though and more than adequate.Yes there will be dstractors but I know an officer who shot a criminal with a 357 and he escaped.The 45 is not a magic bullet.I have the Hornady Critical defense in mine. Also, I have some arthritis in my hand and the recoil is very minimal.

joe_security
January 30, 2014, 12:06 PM
I am looking to the G42 as the replacement for the usual J frame used by senior citizens. The coil spring in the J frame can be a little much for some shooters. If this G42 can handle all of the current defensive ammo then whats not to like ? If this one has an edge in lower recoil and easier trigger pull thats a win in my book.

gym
January 30, 2014, 12:07 PM
Everything is subjective until you have to shoot someone with it. Then the recoil size and everything else goes out the window, and you are lucky if you remember what even happened. Find a gun that doesn't hurt your hand when you shoot it in a caliber that is sufficient to stop a threat from advancing, if the 380 is your choice, practice with it until you can get your shots in the chest from 25-50 feet away. Usually that's about the limit.
Don't worry about what other people tell you, read the facts, know that you are giving up a bit of power for a lighter load and deal with it. Just remember that you will both be moving, and practice shooting while moving forward backward and laterally. The people who attacked you won't be standing still "usually". They will be coming at you or running from you, that's the big difference with shooting at paper and a real life situation.
Will you freeze? Or will your body be able to push through and do the simple things that become difficult when you go into that state of tunnel vision and slowed reflexes from fear? No one can tell you until it happens, but if you prepare for it, your muscle memory will help. Everyone is different, some great students make lousy practitioners, It's like someone walking up to you and punching you in the face. Are you going to cover up and freeze, or fight back? everyone likes to think they will prevail in these matters, but many just can't follow through. Sometimes you won't find out ever unless something bad happens and you have no choice. Hopefully no one here has that happen, although we all know that isn't possible.

M1key
January 30, 2014, 03:01 PM
^^^ good points

We might also find ourselves in a situation where we must show tremendous restraint not to shoot when everything in us is screaming with righteous indignation.

Good luck out there

M

mburmaster
January 30, 2014, 04:14 PM
#59 #60 Both have good points. I have one on hold will look at it tomorrow and I think it will be coming home with me.

revolvergeek
January 30, 2014, 04:21 PM
One of the guys I work with bought one. Feels good in the hand, doesn't point high for me like most Glocks do, nice trigger and typical Glock sights. I don't feel the need to rush out and buy one, but I think that they are going to sell a whole bunch of them.

http://www.fototime.com/A78F847DEF0E7D8/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/018E0C786DA7821/xlarge.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/2A5BED7A1F30E22/xlarge.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/6662AFDE278A051/xlarge.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CB0BB0D517B4CB3/xlarge.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/1BA3A40A875BDC0/xlarge.jpg

Vodoun da Vinci
January 30, 2014, 04:33 PM
Thank You for the pix for comparison to the LCP!! :)

IMO, the gun is not impressive in the hand. It's a Glock and a small one at that with not much to compare it to. The proof is in the shooting and I found it extremely accurate and mild in recoil which is what I was primarily interested in...this is something my Wife can move and shoot with as well as conceal and it is simple and robust.

I did feel that the slide serrations could be a bit more "aggressive" but that's not a show stopper.

VooDoo

Mitlov
January 30, 2014, 04:41 PM
For the owners here, have you tried different types of ammo in it? Any difficulties with any varieties, or does it consistently eat everything you feed it?

Vodoun da Vinci
January 30, 2014, 05:13 PM
I do not have our gun yet...I was hoping it would arrive today or Friday. I have only shot a production gun owned by another with range ammo and that was hardball. I have not completely evaluated the gun but I *will* do so when I get mine.

I probably won't shoot everything available as .380 ammunition locally is "you get what we have" and most places have maybe 2 boxes on the shelf if that. I'll order stuff online but once I get enough brass saved up I'll be hand loading all my ammunition as I do for the other calibers.

I tend to shoot flat nosed lead in almost all autos regardless of caliber and will likely load 90 - 100 flat nose lead for the .380 as I have tested this in the past and like it. If the G42 won't feed it the gun may not last long at my house...the ultimate test is how my Wife likes and functions with the gun but it'd be hard for me to believe it won't handle just about anything we throw at it. My G26 has never missed a lick and it shoots everything...I don't see the G42 being any different but if I find that is the case THR will be the first to know.

VooDoo

herkyguy
January 30, 2014, 05:57 PM
Dang, it doesn't have the rail on the bottom. Now what will I do with my tactical CCW pistol bayonet?

meatcreeper
February 4, 2014, 06:37 PM
Just left the LGS in Houston, TX. Saw a G42 there. First of all, I am impressed by the SPEED at which Glock got these to market, from it showing up on the cover of a G&A mag, to me being able to hold it in my bear claws. Springfield and S&W could take lessons from Glock on that part alone.

I have not shot it yet, but the trauma of shooting my LCP last week is still fresh in my mind. Either my hands have too much surface or the LCP has too little. In my hands, it is snappy and angry. But I can still do what I need to at 7 yards or less. The sight system on the Glock 42 reminded me of the 17 and the 22 I have in my possession. I held it in my hands, it was beautiful! I am looking forward to getting one.

-MC

M2 Carbine
February 4, 2014, 07:48 PM
Shot my G42 some more today.

For the owners here, have you tried different types of ammo in it? Any difficulties with any varieties, or does it consistently eat everything you feed it?

I've shot something over 250 rounds.
Mostly 90 grain FMJRN reloads.
Some factory FMJRN loads
Some Hornady 90 gr XTP reloads. The bullet expands well from the G42.
Some 90 grain lead reloads. The barrel leads up to much with this load, so I'll save it for my other 380 pistols.

All the ammo has been fine but early on the slide would not come back far enough to always eject the fired case, thereby jamming the gun.

That problem seems to have worked itself out in the last hundred or so rounds.

Another problem that's happened 6 or 7 times is the side of the bullet hitting the slide catch and locking the slide back.

The first time or two I thought my thumb may be hitting the slide catch, but it's the FMJRN bullet.
Today I ordered 300 Hornady XTP (conical) bullets to load for carry ammo.

Bottom line.
I like the gun. Which is surprising because I don't especially like Glocks.

Very accurate. It will easily empty a magazine in a one hole cloverleaf at 10 yards.

It's small and very light weight. It's replacing my Ruger LCP for pocket carry.

It has a far better trigger than any Glock I've shot. I have three Glocks and hate the triggers of every Glock I've shot..

The G42 is very comfortable to shoot. After a few magazines in the LCP I'm ready to quit. I can shoot the 42 all day. If the weather is decent I'll put another 150-200 rounds through the gun this week.

I like the gun well enough I've got another one on order. (that's never happened before with me and Glocks)

jimbo555
February 4, 2014, 09:02 PM
Held one at the lgs yesterday, it feels good. Not too small like the lcp in my opinion. They sold all nine he had in a few hours. Think it will be popular.

djm3801
February 5, 2014, 11:34 PM
Comparing the Glock 380 to an LCP is apples to oranges. They are similar in caliber only. There is really no point in a debate of who thinks a gun kicks and who does not. Very subjective.

The LCP is a pocket pistol. IN that respect it is very light and a bit snappy. The Glock 380 is a bit large for pocket pistol use unless you are a big person or have big pockets - no pistol shold be pocket carried without a holster. The Glock 380 is similar to some others on the market that are fine pistols but too large to pocket carry. I do not see anything revolutionary about it other than the fact that it is a Glock and they have a large following. They will sell like hotcakes because there are many people who love Glocks and may want a 380 or may prefer a lighter recoil than 9mm. They have a good reputation and I am not going to argue with folks who love them - such as Hickok45.

Myself - not a fan. I feel the same about CZ products - when I can find them - as Glock folks feel about their brand - to me there is no comparison but others may not agree. That said, I need something I can carry in a pocket holster in shorts and a tee shirt and the Glock is not it and I do not think it was designed to be. The LCP, Bodyguard 380, TCP and Kel Tek are about it in a reasonable price range. I have fired all and own an LCP.

My opinion - the LCP is the perfect pocket / purse pistol with respect to price and reliability and not something I would carry in any other way - OK I do not carry a purse. The Glock offering will appeal to fans of Glocks and the 380 cartridge and, as has been expressed, those who find the 9mm too much to cope with. I do not like recoil but frankly the LCP with a $11 Hogue grip is very manageable to me and the newer ones have a better trigger.

Fit the gun to the purpose and pick your poison.

Oceanbob
February 11, 2014, 12:19 PM
Interesting thread.

I remember the days pre polymer, pre Glock when the smallest gun on my carry permit was a Colt series 70 combat commander worked over by Jim Hoag and blessed as 'good enough' by Jeff Cooper. ;)

.45 ACP was king.

Of course, with the advent of wonder 9s in the late 1980s and Mr. Cooper giving birth to the .40, ammunition has evolved.

I had a neat little Walther PPK back then. Still carried my .45 auto, but as most of you know, being gun collectors, reloaders and shooters, we buy guns......just because.

The fact is ammunition and ballistics have improved.

Today my carry guns are G29, G27, G30, G26. In that order. My BUG is a J frame, hammerless.

As the father of 5 adult kids much of my collection has be pilfered (haha) to them over the years.

Yes, I bought a G42. Still in the 10 day wait here in California. Paid $419 for it.

Yes that's 100 bucks over LEO price and over reported list price, but in my opinion the worse thing that can happen if I don't like it is I sell it and buy something else. I won't be carrying it concealed. I have guns for that job already.

I'll probably have to hide it from my 2 daughters. I know they fought over a Glock 19 and dad had to buy them one each. ;) I am not much good at picking out shoes for females so this takes me off the hook.

My biggest decision is should I start reloading .380 ? Maybe.

I like the lightness of the 42. Really light. I am also familiar and comfortable with the sight picture. Not like looking down a groove on the top of a slide. More like a mini G17. Easy to palm, would fit in a big pocket (in a proper holster) in a pinch. I wouldn't sweat swimming with it or it being underwater. Since it's a Glock, we know it will run dirty and wet.

Be well

Bob

Brasso
February 12, 2014, 02:37 PM
It's too big for .380. Should have been a 9mm. The size could have stayed the same. There just isn't any point to it.

Vodoun da Vinci
February 12, 2014, 02:55 PM
I like the gun well enough I've got another one on order. (that's never happened before with me and Glocks)

Thanks for your comments. I especially like hearing from folks who have bought one and shot it and commented. Like you, I had no use for a Glock until last Summer I shot SO many handguns I can barely remember them all looking for stuff that stood out as inherently accurate, small enough to be carried concealed, and simple in my hands. 2 pistols came home that Summer - A Beretta Px4 subcompact and a Glock 26.

I shot a G42 when the LGS got one and pre paid for one of the next 10 coming and that says a lot for me. 2 Glocks when 7 months ago I had no use for them.

VooDoo

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot the Glock 42 yesterday" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!