Mosin Nagant Project

PDA

Tokarevsrule
January 18, 2014, 10:34 PM
I got a chinese mosin carbine for Christmas that had beautiful hardware and stock cracked beyond usability, so I decided to do a project I have been wanting to do for a while. The first picture is the replacement stock I put on, the second picture is the scope rail I am installing. Since I am using a standard scope, I have to bend the bolt. The bent bolt demonstrates why I shouldn't be allowed to use a welder. I already have a full length Mosin 91/30 with dual Mojo sights(worth it BTW) that I have hit targets at 600 yards with, so I am curious what a scoped Mosin can do. I will post more photos as the project progresses.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant Project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
plmitch
January 18, 2014, 11:05 PM
Great! Will be looking for more on this.

Clean97GTI
January 19, 2014, 02:27 AM
It has always seemed to me that the key to an accurate Mosin comes down to two things.

1. The condition of the barrel.
2. The size of the target and grouping you are comfortable with.

Accuracy for most rifles these days is measured in minute of angle. With old Mosins, it definitely seems to be Minute of Nazi.

carbine85
January 19, 2014, 08:36 AM
A couple of things that I have found that go a long way on Mosin Nagants is a good trigger job and bedding. All of mine except for a Polish had copper build-up like you wouldn't believe. I scrubbed the crap out of them. After around 20 rounds the barrel settles back in. Don't forget to check the crown.

Tokarevsrule
January 19, 2014, 01:38 PM
The bore on mine is in pristine condition. When I fired it with iron sights, I got a 1" group at around forty yards. I use my long Mosin to hit gallon containers, that is about as good as I expect to get at 500 plus yard ranges.

LAGS
January 19, 2014, 03:50 PM
Bed that action and free float the barrel.
Those stocks are very poor fitting as far as correct Bedding requirements since they fit so many models.
Bed the magazine box tangs too.

tahunua001
January 19, 2014, 04:11 PM
I've seen worse bubba jobs... heck.. I've done worse bubba jobs... looking good so far... I personally doubt that you'll get a 600 yard gong ringer but I wish you the best of luck on it. I look forward to be proven wrong.

Dr. Sandman
January 19, 2014, 04:22 PM
Neat.

Tokarevsrule
January 19, 2014, 07:31 PM
I bet I will get a 600 yard gong ringer, depends on how big I make the gong:D.
I am curious about how much difference there will be between this rifle and my full size Mosin at long range. I would put the scope on my full size rifle, but I can't bear to permanently modify it.

tahunua001
January 19, 2014, 09:35 PM
not entirely sure but the difference on jap guns between carbine and rifle can be pretty extreme... as much as 600 FPS difference... I would be prepared for much more extreme bullet drop.

Tokarevsrule
January 20, 2014, 10:37 AM
On a related note, a friend has a badly sporterized 1927 hex nagant that had the barrel cut to carbine length, the stock cut, and one of those awful aluminum
front sights installed. The bolt was also bent but not lengthened. He wants it closer to the original, so I am planning on putting an original carbine stock, straightening the bolt, and putting the correct front sight on it. Any ideas on how to put the correct sight on?

tahunua001
January 20, 2014, 12:36 PM
those things were just dovetailed on but I don't know of any dovetail bases that aren't ramped. dovetailing the barrel would leave the front sight way too low to be of any use so you have to find a way to raise it.

LAGS
January 20, 2014, 07:37 PM
The original 91, or 91/30 have a intragal base that is part of the barrel that the sight blade or the sight Hood on the 91/30 dovetails into.
I have shortened the barrels on some , and then made a front sight base and silver soldered it on to the barrel then used the standard front sight or blade.
It is kind of tricky to get the height of the base correct, but it can be done.
I have also used a Mauser 98 front sight base, and modified it how I needed to to either work as a post without the band that goes around the barrel. or cut the Band and soldered it on as a Saddle type installation.
That gave the rifle more of a VZ-54 look

Tokarevsrule
January 22, 2014, 07:35 AM
Well I got the scope mount and mounting hardware. The bit that came with the tap was destroyed trying to drill the receiver, that steel is hard. Luckily I had a carbide bit the right size. I bedded the side rail with JB weld and secured it with 2 10-32 screws. The scope mount just slid right on. I have tried the scout scope mounts, didn't like any of them, this mount is very solid and lets me use iron sights.

mcklain
January 22, 2014, 09:08 PM
If you don't mind me asking what scope mount are you using? I like the way your rifle is coming along.

fmj50
January 22, 2014, 09:42 PM
nice work, but if that scope mount ends up a little high, you might want to try one of these: see thru scope mounts.
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/trueshottechnologies/True%20Shot%20Mosin%20Nagant%20see%20thru%20scope%20mount/IMG_3547_zpsb2dfc895.jpg
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/trueshottechnologies/True%20Shot%20Mosin%20Nagant%20see%20thru%20scope%20mount/IMG_3543_zps198b800c.jpg
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/trueshottechnologies/True%20Shot%20Mosin%20Nagant%20see%20thru%20scope%20mount/IMG_3542_zpsa7201646.jpg

some company called trueshot

Tokarevsrule
January 22, 2014, 09:59 PM
The rail and mount are from Kalinka optics. The rail is a Mosin Nagant rail and the mount is a low profile AK mount. Together they cost about ninety dollars. I was worried that the mount would be to high, but it appears higher than it really is in the picture. I am happy with it.

Alan LA
January 24, 2014, 03:41 PM
What kind of stock is it your using? Looks like plastic.

Tokarevsrule
January 24, 2014, 06:54 PM
It is a synthetic stock from Amazon. It handles well and doesn't cost much.

Alan LA
January 24, 2014, 10:02 PM
I was looking at the ATI's, but have just about talked myself into going with a Boyd's.

I have until next month to decide. Hopefully by then I'll have the money. I've already invested in a Timney trigger and JMeck scope mount.

herrwalther
January 24, 2014, 11:21 PM
I do not have much confidence in myself enough to bend a MN bolt to clear a scope. So I looked around and found a company called Brass Stalker that makes a rail that replaces the stock rear sight of the Mosin using the same holes. Sure it will need to use a scope with longer eye relief but will save the bolt if you mess up.

Tokarevsrule
January 25, 2014, 11:04 AM
When I bent the bolt I cut it off and used a 5/16 grade 8 bolt as the handle with the original knob. I didn't think solder would be strong enough so I used a welder to attach it. It is very strong, but not very pretty. It would have been prettier using a MIG welder instead of a flux core.

I finished mounting the scope. The height is perfect, but I had to shim the mount to get the cross hairs near the point of impact. I used the iron sights to see where the rifle was pointing, I already know the iron sights are accurate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant Project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!