Maybe a sign that I need to start carrying with a round in the chamber!

PDA

TheOtherOne
February 5, 2003, 12:16 AM
I always have my Glock 27 on me, but I've just never felt comfortable carrying it with a round chambered. Something about knowing the gun is only an accidental trigger pull from being fired worries me.

Anyways... I had a weird dream last night where I was staying at my friends house (who just happened to have a brand new baby) and late at night some guy snuck in dressed in all black with a gun. He came in shooting and I panicked, pulled my Glock out, pulled the slide back but not far enough and somehow the bullet jammed and I couldn't get it to slide back again. I didn't even get a shot off and only remember having this horrible feeling. The dream kind of wandered after that and I don't really remember what happened.

Yeah, it was only a dream but maybe it's a sign that having an unloaded gun on me really is about as useless as a brick!

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe a sign that I need to start carrying with a round in the chamber!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
February 5, 2003, 12:21 AM
As long as you carry in a quality holster & you follow basic handgun safety rules, having a chambered round is PERFECTLY safe!

Thumper
February 5, 2003, 12:23 AM
Your subconscious was looking out for you.

If a true street predator wants a piece of you, he's gonna be on you before you're ready, condition yellow or not.

Trying to rack a slide while fighting for your life doesn't sound fun to me.

A gun's not a magic wand...chamber a round. And don't let it be an excuse to get fat and sloppy.

You're a thousand times more likely to have to defend yourself with your hands than with your G27. If, God forbid, you ever need both, you're gonna need that round in the pipe.

HABU
February 5, 2003, 12:24 AM
....or you could get a pistol with a safety!:D

Yohan
February 5, 2003, 12:26 AM
Amen to that, Habu- But I don't even consider Glocks to be pistols. I don't hold a high opinion of them.

Kahr carrier
February 5, 2003, 12:30 AM
Yep.:)

Thumper
February 5, 2003, 12:30 AM
Let's not have another Glock bashing thread.

I think we all can agree what his little .40 will kill a bad guy just as dead as your average tactical nuke...or .45 ACP. Hmm..that's almost redundant. :D

BignJames
February 5, 2003, 12:33 AM
That's why I prefer to carry a wheel gun.

Blackhawk
February 5, 2003, 12:58 AM
What good's an unloaded gun in an emergency that requires a gun?

HadEmAll
February 5, 2003, 01:12 AM
Yep, a pistol you can't pick up or pull and fire one-handed is more dangerous than none at all. It makes you think you have something that you may not really have. Hopefully this dream revealed to you the wisdom of carrying with a round in the chamber.

Drjones
February 5, 2003, 03:19 AM
TheOtherOne:

Honestly, seriously, I'm not trying to scare you; often my dreams foreshadow things to come.

It IS a sign.

I'm not religious, not especially superstitious, but it's happened to me, so I take it as truth.

FAR too many times I catch myself saying "gee, I SHOULDA listened to that little voice" and the like.

Truly, carry chambered. An unloaded gun WILL get you killed.

dude
February 5, 2003, 03:32 AM
I always try to have a revolver in my dreams.............with enough ammo for six bad guys before a re-load.

.45FMJoe
February 5, 2003, 09:23 AM
FAR too many times I catch myself saying "gee, I SHOULDA listened to that little voice" and the like.

OH MY GOD!! Someone else that's just like me. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have wished I listened. I carry my 1911's cocked and locked, 1 in the hole and 8 in the clip. If you are uncomfotable carrying the glock like that you should look around at other guns with external safeties. I am a clutz at work, always running into equipment and counters and whatnot...but I never have to worry about my series 80 Colt going off. I just don't. That gun is not going to discharge unless it's in my hands with me intently squeezing the trigger. Perhaps you should consider a Springfield XD? Or just become comfortable with the fact that you are a trigger stroke away from BANG! I don't want to sound like I got lazy about safety because of my series 80, I just mean I don't worry about it AD'ing....EVER. :)

mjustice
February 5, 2003, 09:28 AM
I agree with the others - your dream was a warning.

In a CQ struggle, you may not have two "free" hands to rack the slide. If you cannot become comfortable with the idea of carrying a Glock with one in the pipe, then you need to find another gun to carry.

MJ

OF
February 5, 2003, 10:24 AM
1. If you're not comfortable carrying a Glock with one in the pipe, get a gun that you are comfortable carrying that way...soon.

2. Don't ignore your subconscious.

- Gabe

TheOtherOne
February 5, 2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I got the message. Carrying "cocked and locked" now -- well, as cocked and locked as a Glock can be without a hammer or a safety! :D

I've got a nice fitted Galco holster and figure I've been carrying all this while without a chambered round and the trigger has never accidentally been pulled. I'll just have to convince myself that all these passive safeties everyone tells me about on the Glock really do work great.

dude
February 5, 2003, 10:59 AM
..........does your Galco cover the trigger&guard??

45R
February 5, 2003, 11:18 AM
You should be completely comfortable with the gun that your going to use to defend yourself and loved ones. If leaving a round chambered in your G27 gives you the ibi-jibesss on ADs or NDs, then you might want to consider a gun with a longer or heavier double action pull. Springfield Armory makes a XD series with the same trigger but adds a grip safety to the equation, or you can try something like a 1911, Walther, Sig, Beretta or even a wheel gun.

Another important reminder are the 3 Basic Gun Safety rules. A quality holster should not catch the trigger. Train, Train, Train.

Shoot safe

45R

dairycreek
February 5, 2003, 11:20 AM
But! If you're going to carry a Glock with one in the chamber then it is absolutely imperative that you have a holster that covers the trigger. There are a lot of good ones. I carry my G27 in a kydex by Sidearmor. Makes for a safe, secure carry all around. Good shooting:)

alan
February 5, 2003, 11:28 AM
Glock pistols are designed to be carried with a round chambered, so far as I know.

A PROPER holster is always a worthwhile investment, especially when they aren't all that expensive to begin with.

TheOtherOne
February 5, 2003, 11:31 AM
..........does your Galco cover the trigger&guard??

Yep!

http://www.usgalco.com/Catalog/normal/USA.jpg

sw442642
February 5, 2003, 05:15 PM
Go to Glock Talk for 5,000,000 posts on unchambered carry. Only three are original.

As far as dreams, I prefer to dream about unclothed carry with the right dream partners.

jmbg29
February 5, 2003, 06:37 PM
That gun is not going to discharge unless it's in my hands with me intently squeezing the trigger.That differs from a Glock in what way?

twoblink
February 5, 2003, 10:08 PM
I don't know guys, I read an article on keepandbeararms that all but sold me on the concept of keeping your guns in condition 3. The reasons is, it takes the conscience mind to rack the gun, and at that point, you have decided that you wanted to shoot someone/something. Not from subconscience, but from the conscience...

Drjones
February 5, 2003, 11:06 PM
Twoblink:

That might apply at NIGHT, but definitely not during the day.

(Unless you're one of those nocturnal feeders Ricky Butler keeps talking about! :D )

Redlg155
February 6, 2003, 12:19 AM
Uncomfy?...Try the Saf T Block.

http://www.tulsafirearms.com/images/saf-t-blok/stealth4.gif

A simple and inexpensive solution that adds one extra measure of safety while carrying a glock. It can be operated with the trigger finger and doesn't add any real time to your draw.

I always carry with one in the chamber. I can see a scenario where one hand is pushing a family member to the floor while the other hand is drawing.

Good Shooting
RED

Tim Currie
February 6, 2003, 04:31 AM
Funny....

When I got my CCW ( a couple months ago...) and started carrying my Kahr. I didnt want to carry it chambered either. And then one night I too had a dream that I needed it, pulled it out, went to rack the slide and it jammed. And I never, ever had a dream about guns before. After that I started carrying it chambered. Been that way ever since and dont even think about it anymore.

jmbg29
February 6, 2003, 05:52 AM
Remember kids, an unloaded gun is just a heavy boomerang that doesn't come back!:neener:

Baba Louie
February 6, 2003, 08:26 AM
We had this conversation in our CCW class years back. The instructors take on the Glock was that it was designed to act like a DA revolver in that you only had two items to think about in times of great stress... Front Sight and trigger press.

He also brought up the point that if you carried in condition 3 and had to rack the slide to chamber a round it could be used in the court later that YOU were the one escalating the situation by brandishing and actually placing your gun in battery in front of your "Intended Victim", regardless of the extra half second it takes to do same (we were discussing the Israeli strategy, Condition 3, draw, rack and fire) while confronted with deadly force.

For what its worth, the Glock is designed to be carried "live" in a good holster, just like your S&W 19.

I hate dreams like that. Lets hope we never have to live it while we're awake.

Adios

twoblink
February 6, 2003, 10:38 AM
Hmm... The glock is like a DA revolver, but it's not..

With a DA revolver, you pull the trigger, click... The round doesn't fire. You pull again!! With a Glock and any other semi-auto, you have to Tap-Rack-Bang!

But I think the biggest safety is BETWEEN YOUR EARS don't spend more on other guns; spend it on MORE TRAINING.

OF
February 6, 2003, 02:23 PM
Carry your firearms ready-to-fire. If the Glock's manual of arms is not to your liking, there are plenty of other weapons out there to choose from.

Carrying in condition 3 is like driving around without your seatbelt fastened, expecting to fasten it when you need it. Life doesn't accomodate the unprepared.

"Be prepared!"

- Gabe

CZ-75
February 6, 2003, 02:50 PM
Buy a NY trigger set up to increase the pull weight, if you're uncomfortable w/ standard ~6 lbs. pull.

HS/LD
February 6, 2003, 03:41 PM
Trade the Glock on an H&K USP and carry it cocked and locked.

Thats what I did.

Regards,
HS/LD

Erik
February 6, 2003, 04:32 PM
A pistol without a round in the chamber is perfectly acceptabe so long as one ignores the fact that there may not be adequate time to or an abilty to chamber a round.

M1911
February 6, 2003, 04:49 PM
TheOtherOne: Do you have training in drawing and holstering? If not, I suggest you get good training from a place like LFI, Sigarms Academy, Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc. I can certainly understand being afraid of carrying with a chambered round if you have not been properly trained.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe a sign that I need to start carrying with a round in the chamber!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!