High Point firearms

PDA

jutinlee
January 19, 2014, 09:05 PM
I was approached by a co-worker on Friday, her brother is selling four firearms of different varieties. The two I remember are a High Point Carbine 9mm and a high point 9mm handgun. I'm not very familiar with these guns and would like to know about their quality and any known issues they may have.
My co-workers brother is apparently selling these to buy a higher quality carry weapon for his wife and is selling them all cheap. Four guns and the highest asking price was $350. I could probably negotiate him down some even.
I'm especially interested in the carbine as a training gun for the youngsters in the family and a plinker for me over the nicer/ higher caliber rifles available.
Thoughts and comments all appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "High Point firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fleetman
January 19, 2014, 09:11 PM
A friend of my son brought his 995 Carbine over a few months ago. Although I would normally turn my nose up at anything named HiPoint, I have to admit I was pretty impressed. It handled well, fired, ejected, and chambered every time. It was enough fun that I've decided to get one for myself.

Dr. Sandman
January 19, 2014, 09:11 PM
They shoot, but I would not spend my money on them( high points, that is). I always kind of feel sorry for the guys that bring them to the range. Cheaper is not always better.

T Slothrop
January 19, 2014, 09:18 PM
I've never owned a Hi Point handgun, although I've handled and fired a few and found no issues with them beyond the fact that they are butt ugly.

I have owned one of the carbines (in .45) for about three years now and have found it to be accurate, fun to shoot, and an overall excellent value. The no-questions-asked lifetime fully transferable warranty alone makes them worth a look.

Valor35
January 19, 2014, 09:20 PM
I hear better things about the carbines than the handguns. I have a 995 also, and it works well for me. It is reliable and accurate, but it is no 'Cadillac' of carbines. For the money, it is worth it.

buck460XVR
January 19, 2014, 09:29 PM
Four guns and the highest asking price was $350.

Around here, there isn't ANY Hi-Point that sells new for $350. New Carbines are generally $299 or less, handguns $180 or less.

Joshua M.
January 19, 2014, 09:30 PM
I had a HiPoint .45 pistol. It was big, ugly, and rattled...but it was pretty accurate, lo recoil,(since it weighed like 4lbs), and it went bang every time I pulled the trigger. I used to always make fun of them, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Midwest
January 19, 2014, 09:50 PM
I have the Hi-Point .45 acp pistol as well. It never jams and shoots fairly accurately. Yes it is bulky and ugly but has been reliable. I bought it for $159 in 2012, last time I looked the LGS was selling them for $200.

Schwing
January 19, 2014, 09:52 PM
They shoot, but I would not spend my money on them( high points, that is). I always kind of feel sorry for the guys that bring them to the range. Cheaper is not always better.
:) I feel sorry for the guys who have never enjoyed shooting a hi point carbine. Their pride is denying them a lot of fun.

Having said that, I think I paid about $230 for mine.

kcofohio
January 19, 2014, 10:29 PM
Is the carbine a dressed down model? A fugly or tactical stock? If a fugly, and in good shape, I'd offer in the low $200's. For $40 + shipping you can by a tactical stock for Hi-Point. For a dressed down tactical stock, and in good shape, maybe in the $275 range.

rondog
January 19, 2014, 10:39 PM
No experience with HP pistols, but I have three HP carbines, two 9mm and one .40. They're ugly, but very accurate and reliable. Put a cheap BSA red-dot sight on them and they're supreme fun. Lifetime warranty no matter who owns it.

Onward Allusion
January 19, 2014, 10:59 PM
jutinlee
High Point firearms
I was approached by a co-worker on Friday, her brother . . .

Not sure if I was following. Did you mean all four guns for $350 or that you had remembered that the most expensive one was for $350?

The most expensive Hi-Point should not go for any more than $300 new. That would be the Hi Point Carbine. Now, if you meant that all 4 were going for a total of $350 - jump at it.

Hi Points are inexpensive firearms that work. They are duty pistol accurate and fairly dependable once it is broken in. The down side is that HP's are low capacity and large/clunky/ugly.

Onward Allusion
January 19, 2014, 11:06 PM
Dr. Sandman

Don't feel sorry for those guys. At least they are shooting. Also, those guns work and are as accurate and dependable as most mass produced guns with similar sight radius.

jconnor
January 19, 2014, 11:25 PM
I asked a guy at the range yesterday if his pistol was a hi point. He said "yes... don't buy one." I asked him in all seriousness if the slide was polymer with some kind of insert for the breech face. He said that it was stamped sheet metal. He then told me that "It's only a six shooter, because it always jams on the seventh round!" Now this was just one conversation with one guy. Having said all that, I'm glad that there is a low cost, american made option out there. I would rather have an iffy hi point than a really reliable sharp stick!

Mooseman
January 19, 2014, 11:38 PM
Hi Point pistols have a polymer frame. I believe the slide is zamak reinforced with steel. No sheet metal on them. They're actually durable, accurate and dependable with the weak point being the magazines. They're simplistic and a bit crude. I wouldn't feel undergunned using one for home defense but they're too heavy, bulky and low capacity for concealed carry. Trigger on my 45 isn't the best but far from the worst.

M2 Carbine
January 19, 2014, 11:44 PM
Recently I was at the local gun store when a 45 ACP Hi Point Carbine was delivered.
I asked the manager about it. He said he had three of the rifles in thepast and they were all decent. He didn't like the handguns.

I thought I'd try it out but I wasn't expecting much.

I was surprised. It's a decent, accurate and reliable gun for the price. I think it's a little overboard with the tactical look but it does handle well.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/HiPoint_zps053ae070.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/HiPoint_zps053ae070.jpg.html)

torqem
January 19, 2014, 11:44 PM
Used guns, from a private party? I'd never more than 2/3rds of current retail price, in excellent condition and not more than 1/2 of retail unless I really want it, or know where to sell it for a quick profit. Their carbines are ok, but the pistols? OMG.

au01st
January 20, 2014, 02:14 AM
Ugly? Check.

Heavy? Check.

Accurate? Check.

Reliable? Check.

But on the plus side, if you run out of bullets you could realistically kill the aggressor by beating them with it.

And yes, I own the 9mm. I've had nights at the bar where I spent more than the Hi-Point cost, and didn't have nearly as much fun as I get from it once in a while.

danez71
January 20, 2014, 02:22 AM
Around here, there isn't ANY Hi-Point that sells new for $350. New Carbines are generally $299 or less, handguns $180 or less.

Ditto.

And those aren't the "Sale" prices either.

javjacob
January 20, 2014, 02:33 AM
my brother bought a hi point 9mm carbine several years ago because he is a cheapskate. Its one of the ugliest guns I have ever seen, the stock is just as long as the barrel and they just look horribly mis portioned. his is very picky on ammo and likes to jam but it is very accurate and hasn't broke on him...yet.
I would put hi point just above Taurus and rossi mainly because I have never seen a hi point blow up like a grenade. Taurus just makes very expensive paper weights if you ask me. I have seen enough of them grenade the cylinder in half that I wouldn't shoot one if I was paid to.

stompah
January 20, 2014, 03:11 AM
I own a 9mm pistol. I bought it as a cheap way to shoot while figuring out which nice pistol I wanted to buy. My local range makes you use their ammo if you rent their guns. The ammo is priced about $5 more than other gunshops.

Yes it was picky. Yes its a hunk of fake steel. Yes it jammed every now and then.

But more people have picked that gun up and shot better straight off the bat than they do with a gun they have owned for years. I don't know if its the easy to pick up front sight, the grip of the pistol or the shear weight of the slide calming shaky hands... But the gun is accurate.

Once I sent the gun back for work on the jamming it hasn't jammed since. Key holes certain ammo now tho...

Ks5shooter
January 20, 2014, 08:44 AM
Freind has the 9mm carbine.Sent it back twice to get fixed under lifetime warranty.Said warranty cost him sixty bucks or so to ship.In my eyes not a good warranty if you have to pay shipping.

vamo
January 20, 2014, 10:00 AM
I like the carbines don't trust your life to one but they are a lot of fun. New ones can go for over $300, used are less and older models that don't look as tacticool and don't come with extras can be had for less than $200. You shouldn't pay more than $150 (probably can get for less) for a used hi point pistol.

Extra magazines are surprisingly expensive. Not rediculiously priced mind you, but given the cheap price of the guns themselves more than you'd expect. The one thing I have heard about hi point is they have terrific customer service and guns have a lifetime warranty.

Bottom line: they can be fun guns for the price, but don't expect the same reliability and smooth operation as you would their more expensive counterparts.

M2 Carbine
January 20, 2014, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
Mine was $340 OTD.
I've spent more for less gun.

buck460XVR
January 20, 2014, 12:00 PM
Mine was $340 OTD.
I've spent more for less gun.

...and I made no statement good or bad about Hi-Point firearms, just letting the OP know what the going price on them is. As you confirmed, $350 for a used Hi-Point is too much.

mgkdrgn
January 20, 2014, 12:58 PM
That was $350 for ALL FOUR, right?

High Point pistols ... heavy, ugly, ergonomics of a paving brick, but they have a lifetime warranty and go BANG pretty much every time you pull the trigger.

High Point carbines ... fun little guns with way to small capacity mags.

tarosean
January 20, 2014, 01:35 PM
That was $350 for ALL FOUR, right?

+1

OP they are one of the cheapest firearms you can buy period.

Furncliff
January 20, 2014, 01:54 PM
Hi Point 4595, paid $260, I've had it about 3 years...2000 rounds through it. It shoots just about anything including the SWC 1911 loads I load myself, it can handle +P loads. The guns come with a no BS guarantee regardless if you bought the gun new or used. I've had a couple of occasions to deal with the maker. You can reach them, you'll speak to a human and you'll come away satisfied with their service. If you need extra mags or other accessories they are not expensive and Hi Point will ship everything for free.They are reliable enough to use for home defense. I'm not 100% happy with the accuracy of mine, but I'm fussy about that and these carbines aren't meant to be target rifles. Are they ugly... yes, but they are cheap fun.

javjacob
January 20, 2014, 02:20 PM
you get what you pay for

hueytaxi
January 20, 2014, 06:36 PM
Had a 9mm handgun, unloaded the plastic hybrid quickly after firing it at night. was blinded by muzzle flash from several points. rattled like a worn out colt .45. Yet I still own a 995 and never had a jam unless it was the first round driven into the breech.

wgaynor
January 20, 2014, 06:47 PM
Anybody that has a Hi-Point and is not happy about it's operation has a right to speak up. But, if they don't try to fix the problem by contacting them and trying to make it right, you are being foolish. Any factory can produce screw ups, even Glocks. Hi-Point makes good on their warranty though.

I got one in a trade. traded a Kel-teck PF9 for a Hi-point 995. thing had a cracked stock and the springs were in bad shape, but I wasn't worried. I had owned Hi-Points before and while never had to use their customer service for a problem (just to get extra springs and firing pins for whatever may happen), I was confident in them due to previous dealings.

Called them (I had plenty of time, was at home from another knee surgery) and spoke with them about my rifle for a while. Guy on the other end was pretty excited. Mine was from the first year of production (can't remember the year... thank you hydrocodone) and he wanted to make sure I had all the upgrades and to check key areas. they use to use a type of grease that they have learned causes problems.

Short story long... they sent me new stock, firing pins, recoil springs, sights, and many other miscellaneous parts.

then they called me a few days later to see how it went.

turn your nose up at them all you want Dr. Sandman, but I like their business model and the product they make.

Nite Ryder
January 20, 2014, 06:55 PM
I have never been able to make myself buy an ugly gun, no matter how cheap the price. I like almost any gun I've ever seen, but I wouldn't let a Hi Point in my house, and that goes for the person carrying it also.

wgaynor
January 20, 2014, 07:23 PM
So many people that take the low road... Should I be dissapointed? Amazes me how closed minded open minded people are.

Dr. Sandman
January 20, 2014, 07:28 PM
Those guns are ugly, heavy, and unrefined. Remember, there is no disgrace in being poor, but there is no excuse for being dirty. That goes double for guns.

we are not amused
January 20, 2014, 10:27 PM
Laughing like hell at all the stuck up snobs who hate Hi-Point guns!

I don't know if you realize how stupid you all sound, but but you are amusing.

Hi-point guns are probably the best value for the money currently being made.

Are there better guns?, yes, but they all cost a lot more.

If you are looking for something reliable and functional, you can't go wrong with a Hi-Point. If you have other needs, such as concealed carry, ergonomics, or esthetics, you may want to take them into account. And of course, if you are the type who wants to brag about how much money they spent on a gun....:neener:

jutinlee
January 20, 2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all of the replies.
To clarify the key points made. These will NOT be home defense or carry guns. My idea is just a fun back yard (in the country) shooter. If I bought the group, I'd pass each of the three pistols to my three nephews and teach them each to shoot on their "own" firearms. The carbine would be a plinker for me until I save enough for my AR15 build.
I like the sound of their customer service and I have no qualms with paying for what you get. The way I see it is you don't learn to drive a stick in a 64 Mustang that you just build from the ground up.
They'd be guns to keep around the house for our family weekends "on the range" and letting the kids play with the big boys.
I may make a take-it-or-leave-it offer for the package.
Again, thanks for all the info.

mellon115
January 21, 2014, 12:58 AM
Just bought my second one a 45 pistol. I already had the 9mm tons of fun to shoot and deadly accurate. Over 200 rounds without an issue. My advice get the mahan after market rear site. Polish the ramp. Adjust the magazine lips. It will take you all of an hour or two and you will have a reliable weapon that goes bang everytime with the best warrenty ever.anyone that says they are weak or blow up watch the youtube videos by the Iraq vet. The supposed hi point just blowing up at random video has been debunked as a fake. Ive owned lots of expensive pistols but none were a better value for the money or as fun to own, work on and shoot. My 2 cents

wannabeagunsmith
January 21, 2014, 02:52 AM
I have a carbine in forty. The thing is a tank, no problems! People might hate on them but you know what not everyone is rich enough to buy an expensive gun! I would have no issues with it as a primary home defense weapon if it were a tad shorter. Get one you won't be sorry!

MedWheeler
January 21, 2014, 07:27 AM
javjacob writes:

Taurus just makes very expensive paper weights if you ask me. I have seen enough of them grenade the cylinder in half that I wouldn't shoot one if I was paid to.

Uh, this is a Hi-Point thread.

(Then, he later posts again):

you get what you pay for

Uh, okay. :rolleyes:

javjacob
January 21, 2014, 01:41 PM
do you not? Is a chevy cavalier just as good as a Cadillac just because it will get you from point A to point B?

Schwing
January 21, 2014, 02:24 PM
do you not? Is a chevy cavalier just as good as a Cadillac just because it will get you from point A to point B?
My opinion on this is that there is a huge amount of quality to be had for the first few hundred dollars. Back when I was spending all of my time and money on audio equipment, I heard someone say that 12 inches of speaker quality could be purchased for $400 and that 13 inches of speaker quality could be purchased for $20,000.

I think this applies to many firearms. You certainly can get better quality for more money but the increase in quality gained per dollar decreases drastically the higher you go in price.

jrdolall
January 21, 2014, 02:40 PM
Assuming this is a package deal and you can get all four for $350 then it is definitely a GREAT deal. Individually none of the Hi Point guns is worth $350 USED. The carbine may sell in that range NIB but the pistols are generally less than $200 NIB.

I own 4 HP firearms and all of them are 100% reliable. The pistols(2-C-9s and a 45) were all bought used and somewhat abused while the 9mm carbine was bought NIB. As all actual owners have already stated the pistols are butt ugly and heavy with low capacity for a gun that size. They are actually GOOD shooters with decent sights, decent triggers and minimal recoil due to the weight of the guns. Mine are dead nuts reliable with cheap plinking ammo but I don't ever run JHP through them since I don't carry them so I can't attest to their reliability with SD ammo.

The carbine is fun to shoot and reasonably accurate. I have a flashlight on mine and may eventually move it into a HD role if I continue to shoot it and it continues to be reliable.

Potatohead
January 21, 2014, 03:35 PM
Recently I was at the local gun store when a 45 ACP Hi Point Carbine was delivered.
I asked the manager about it. He said he had three of the rifles in thepast and they were all decent. He didn't like the handguns.

I thought I'd try it out but I wasn't expecting much.

I was surprised. It's a decent, accurate and reliable gun for the price. I think it's a little overboard with the tactical look but it does handle well.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/HiPoint_zps053ae070.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/HiPoint_zps053ae070.jpg.html)
Hilarious!

I was just thinking, I bet M2 has one..hope he'll post a pic so I can see what we're talking about and them BOOM! there it was!:)

theotherwaldo
January 21, 2014, 07:29 PM
I take the engineer's point of view:
A- Every firearm is a tool;
B- Every tool that does its intended job is good and is thus beautiful;
Therefore,
C- Hi-Points are both good and beautiful.

(Fun, too!)

Dr. Sandman
January 22, 2014, 11:49 AM
I was at my LGS last night. I was thinking about this thread, so I asked to see the Hi Point handguns. I stand by my previous posts. They are heavy, clunky, ugly and crude. The pistols have about three quarters an inch of plastic between the barrel and the base of the front site! They do have a reputation for shooting, as I previously posted. When it comes to the warranty, it may sound good, but it takes time and screwing around. Has anybody here ever tried to ship a handgun? It is a really inconvienent thing to do. The best warranty is the one that you never have to call them on!

Let's face it fellas, shooting is expensive. Your choice of gun is a very personal thing. For me, I would not spend my money on a Hi Point handgun. I would save it and buy something that I liked better. That's not being a snob, I have reasons for not liking them. I wish better guns were available for less money, though.

As for the OP, we still have not heard if it was $350 for one used Hi Point or for all of them. I suspect that it was for just one. Am I right, Jutinlee?

Outlaw Man
January 22, 2014, 11:55 AM
I never had any issues with my .45 pistol. I really didn't put that many rounds through it, though. It's really hard to mess up a blowback action, though some people have been able to do it.

The best description of its ergonomics I've heard is that it's like trying to balance a cinder block on a Styrofoam cup.

jrdolall
January 22, 2014, 12:26 PM
Has anybody here ever tried to ship a handgun? It is a really inconvienent thing to do. The best warranty is the one that you never have to call them on!

I have shipped several firearms back for warranty work. Mossberg, Ruger and Smith & Wesson have all received returns for warranty work. It's not a real hassle if you know the laws and it is a "warranty return". I have actually had to ship two different guns back to S&W for warranty work so "saving and buying a better gun" isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I have a HP C-9 that literally looks like a dog chewed on it and it shoots everything I put in it. They are good guns. They are American made. They are inexpensive, ugly, heavy and reliable.

callenlee
January 22, 2014, 02:07 PM
My first handgun was a C9. I had some issues with failure to eject and failure to feed. I found some info on "tuning" the feed lips on the mag and stopped limp wristing and haven't had a problem with it since. A couple of years later I got a CZ75 P-01 so I don't shoot the HP as much as I used to.

I'd echo the sentiments that they are heavy and fairly reliable. They're not the most aesthetically pleasing gun, but I don't think they're necessarily the ugliest either.

I've never needed their warranty service, but I can't remember ever reading anything bad about it. Most posts about the warranty noted that they would include a free mag for your trouble if you had to send a gun to them. I don't know if they still do that or not.

yzguy87
January 22, 2014, 03:08 PM
A lot of people give them a bad rap but I think they're decent. Shot a 9mm pistol and carbine. I couldn't hit much with the pistol but it was reliable. Carbine was accurate and reliable. I hit what I aimed at out to 50 yards.

SP2000
January 22, 2014, 04:29 PM
I had a 995 carbine. Only issue was 10 round mags and the horrible trigger pull. Must've been around 12# pull.

jutinlee
January 22, 2014, 08:54 PM
He was asking $350 as a starting point for the carbine but each of the rest was $150 per. I decided to go ahead and make him on offer for the lot but he sold them yesterday before I got back to him. Got to be honest, I was disappointed to hear they were sold. I had convinced myself to give them a true college try. Live and learn. I'll buy one in the future if the price is right. Thanks for all the feedback. The cheap, American made, aspect makes it appealing to me.

Deltaboy
January 22, 2014, 08:57 PM
My HP 45 is my recliner gun. I have no issues with it. It go's bang every time I pull the trigger.

Kuyong_Chuin
January 22, 2014, 09:23 PM
I agree that the pistols are heavy, crude, and ugly but they are low priced, have a life time warranty no matter if you are the first buyer or the 100th buyer and they are the toughest hand gun to blow up that I know of. Watch all three of the torture test Moss Pawn and Guns Zombie Squad put a hi-point pistol through trying to blow the thing up and couldn't get the job done. Here is the last and the most extreme of the three test. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

JBrady555
January 22, 2014, 09:47 PM
Get the carbine. They don't deserve the reputation that the pistols get. I know alot of 1911 snobs at my local club who turn their nose up at a hi point pistol but wont say anything bad about the carbine. They all say that it's a impressive firearm especially for the price.

Arkansas Paul
January 22, 2014, 10:13 PM
To clarify the key points made. These will NOT be home defense or carry guns.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use a HiPoint carbine as a HD gun. I've had experience with a few of them and they were all good shooters without a single malfunction.
I have shot two of the pistols. While not the best looking or best feeling guns, they too were accurate enough and never once failed.

There will always be those who think that what they have is a cut above what everyone else has. It's like George Carlin said, and I edit for THR:
"Have you noticed that everyone else's stuff is "crap" but your "crap" is stuff?"

That's what it boils down to. Folks are always quick to point out the flaws of something they think they're a little too good to own. Now, when I went handgun shopping, a HiPoint was not on my list, but I was in a position to buy better. If I was dead broke and without a means of protecting myself, I'd buy one in a heartbeat and wouldn't feel one bit inadequate.

SleazyRider
January 22, 2014, 10:19 PM
I wish Hi-Point would redesign their pistols to be more pleasing to the eye and put an end to all of this. Aesthetics seems to be the largest factor that is in question here.

Reminds me of a girl I knew never mind!

Arkansas Paul
January 22, 2014, 10:23 PM
^ Ha. I've known a few of those.

gym
January 22, 2014, 10:24 PM
Get what you like, like what you get. If it makes you happy then buy it. You can always leave them in key spots around the home where you normally would not have a weapon. The price is right.
http://www.slickguns.com/product/hi-point-4595-semi-automatic-45-automatic-colt-pistol-acp-320-shipped

justice06rr
January 23, 2014, 02:13 AM

This is good to know if you want to buy any Hipoints.

Do not pay anything more than $180 for the pistols (more like $160 each), and under $300 for the carbines.

wgaynor
January 23, 2014, 08:42 AM
I have a gunshop here in Owensboro (Second Ammendment) that is very overpriced on everything. they have a hi-point that is over $200. Of course, it'll probably set there for years or until they get a clue...

Anywhoo, most of them go for about $120 here. the rifles go for $200 - $250 used

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 23, 2014, 12:49 PM
I wish Hi-Point would redesign their pistols to be more pleasing to the eye and put an end to all of this. Aesthetics seems to be the largest factor that is in question here.
The giant slide is necessary for their mode of operation. I don't know how they could redesign something with so much mass to make it look much better.

MedWheeler
January 23, 2014, 01:53 PM
^^ Exactly. If they tried to make it look like, say, a Ruger SR9, it would become more like an SR9, and would be re-priced accordingly.

FROGO207
January 23, 2014, 02:13 PM
When Obama said we needed to get rid of cheap handguns I ordered a dozen of them from my LGS to help Hi Point.:D I used them for trainers and the toss it behind the seat in my Jeep and forgetaboutit firearm. Grab it and load when needed and pull trigger as required. It WILL work. When the dust settles I will still be here to laugh about how ugly it is with you all.;)

You know---------ugly can be beautiful.

ilbob
January 23, 2014, 02:18 PM
They are ugly. They are big and bulky. They have a lifetime factory warranty. People that actually own and shoot them tend to like them and generally report they function well.

I have a HiPoint pistol in 45acp. It goes bang when I pull the plastic trigger. It does not exhibit target grade accuracy. I paid something like $150 NIB a few years ago. Fun plinker. It is huge compared to a 1911.

Mike1234567
January 23, 2014, 02:57 PM
Wow... how attitudes have changed since I bought my first Hi-Point pistols and carbines a few years ago. Mine functioned flawlessly once the mag lips (JHP and .45 carbine) were adjusted a bit. I never had a complaint with any of mine. I have none now but am planning on buying a few to serve as spares and loaners... just in case of a serious natural disaster.

jrdolall
January 23, 2014, 04:35 PM
I found 3 HP pistols that I bought from a pawn shop TODAY. A 45 and 2 9mms. They also had a 380 but I passed on it.
The total was $329 for the three. Of course the 45 was all "tactical" and had a high dollar(probably $20) laser attached.

The Lone Haranguer
January 25, 2014, 03:26 AM
If I understand correctly, he is asking $350 just for the carbine? A new one can be bought for that. Similarly, new Hi-Point pistols run about $150.

As for HP in general, I've shot one of the old-style ("fugly") 9mm carbines and it put a couple of magazinefuls of bullets where I wanted them to go with no malfunctions. Somebody made the comparison to a Chevy Cavalier vs. a Cadillac. Well, lots of people can't afford Cadillacs, but they can afford a Cavalier. It beats walking. Similarly, if all one can afford is a Hi-Point, having one is better than being unarmed. And, if I may digress for a moment, as a professional mechanic who sees them all the time, most major problems with the Cadaver could be prevented with proper maintenance.

deeptekkie
January 25, 2014, 09:52 PM
Got a High Point pistol. Love it. Tough, extremely accurate and tough as nails, (plus a lifetime warranty).

Mooseman
January 25, 2014, 09:58 PM
The warranty is every bit as good as others have said. I had lost the button cap for the mag release for my 45. I called them up to ask the the price of a replacement. The mag release was in my mailbox a few days later. They didn't even charge me, just asked my name and address and sent it.:D

Deanimator
January 26, 2014, 11:19 AM
You couldn't pay me to shoot the handguns. Despite all the talk I hear about their "reliability", the ones I've seen at our range were anything but dependable.

Regarding the clumsy, unwieldy nature of the Hi Point pistols, there's a very simple reason for it. Physics doesn't lie. For any practical semi-automatic handgun more powerful than 9x18mm Soviet, you need at least one of the following:

a locked breech.
an EXTREMELY massive slide/bolt
an EXTREMELY heavy recoil/hammer spring.

There's a reason why there have been almost NO "successful" pure blowback semi-autos chambered for rounds more powerful than 9mm Makarov. They either need a slide that by itself weighs as much as a small handgun, or a recoil spring that might have come from the suspension system of a Sherman tank.

Yeah, a Hi Point pistol is better than no pistol at all, but then so is a Beretta 951 clone, a Walther P-1, a Makarov or a S&W Model 10 revolver, and ALL of them are better than a Hi Point.

Deanimator
January 26, 2014, 11:29 AM
The giant slide is necessary for their mode of operation. I don't know how they could redesign something with so much mass to make it look much better.
I suppose they could make it half as high and twice as long. It'd probably end up looking like a giant, single-action Walther MP. I don't know if that'd be an improvement.

MedWheeler
January 26, 2014, 01:08 PM
Deanimator writes:

Despite all the talk I hear about their "reliability", the ones I've seen at our range were anything but dependable.

The people here on THR who speak of the make's reliability are far more likely to actually know how to shoot and handle them, as many of us had a lot of handgun experience before acquiring a Hi-Point. That means we know about proper grip and "limp-wristing."

Those people showing up on your range, I'd be willing to bet, are relative newcomers, and their Hi-Point guns are probably among the first guns they've owned.

I'd also be willing to bet that you could be paid to shoot one. And, I'd bet that you'd likely shoot it just fine, and that it would perform better in your hands than in those of most of the people in whose hands you claim they would not function.

jrdolall
January 26, 2014, 02:36 PM
I have handed one of my C-9s to plenty of seasoned handgun owners and had them run a couple of mags through. EVERY ONE OF THEM has come away impressed with how this $100 pistol feels and fires. Of course it's too heavy but it does shoot quite well.
None of them are trading in their Kimbers for a HP but none of them hand it back disgusted with how the gun performs either.

FROGO207
January 28, 2014, 09:42 AM
It all comes down to "you get what you pay for". Paying for an inexpensive semi auto that works lots better than expected is a good thing IMHO. I spent a good bit more for a Heritage Rough Rider in 32 H&R mag and was NOT impressed with what I got. Neither one was the quality I would expect from a $500+ firearm but the price did reflect my expectations.

FWIW most High Point feed issues are the feed lips on the MAG and they work well forever after when adjusted slightly.

Deanimator
January 28, 2014, 10:26 AM
"The people here on THR who speak of the make's reliability are far more likely to actually know how to shoot and handle them, as many of us had a lot of handgun experience before acquiring a Hi-Point. That means we know about proper grip and "limp-wristing."

And yet I HAVEN'T seen those sorts of problems, with everything from Glocks to M1911s to Makarovs.

As I said, it's better than NO gun, but NOT better than a P-1 or a Makarov, and DEFINITELY not even in the same ballpark as the ex-NYPD S&W M&P that I got from R.M. Vivas (WITH HOLSTER) for about the same price. That gun's missing large patches of its finish, is slick as glass and utterly reliable.

Mike1234567
January 28, 2014, 11:06 AM
"The people here on THR who speak of the make's reliability are far more likely to actually know how to shoot and handle them, as many of us had a lot of handgun experience before acquiring a Hi-Point. That means we know about proper grip and "limp-wristing."

And yet I HAVEN'T seen those sorts of problems, with everything from Glocks to M1911s to Makarovs.

As I said, it's better than NO gun, but NOT better than a P-1 or a Makarov, and DEFINITELY not even in the same ballpark as the ex-NYPD S&W M&P that I got from R.M. Vivas (WITH HOLSTER) for about the same price. That gun's missing large patches of its finish, is slick as glass and utterly reliable.

We're all saying pretty much the same thing... and arguing about it.:confused::D All the Hi-Point firearms I had were 100 percent reliable over thousands of rounds. I did have to tweak the feed lips on a couple of the JHP mags but it ran perfectly after that. I also cleaned all the mags that came with the others... but I find that's often necessary with other "better" brands too. I "tired" to make all mine fail with cheap ammo and limp-wristing. They all went bang every single pull of the trigger.;)

buck460XVR
January 28, 2014, 12:38 PM
We're all saying pretty much the same thing... and arguing about it.:confused::D

Don't make much sense, eh? Especially since no one is forcing anyone to own one or to not. It's all about freedom of choice and expendable income. Most folks I see buying new Hi-Points are spending a larger percentage of their expendable income of them than those that are buying Les Baers and Wilsons. But those buying the Les Baers and Wilsons tell them they need to save up and cough up some more for a better firearm. Yeah, okay, whatever.:rolleyes:

I don't own any Hi-Points, have never shot any, so I don't have a dog in this fight. Yep, they are not the prettiest bird dog out there, but from what I hear, they do hunt.

MagnumDweeb
January 28, 2014, 01:05 PM
My NIB Springfield XDs had multiples jams, failure to feeds, failure to achieve battery for the first few hundred rounds. Then one day it worked right and kept working right. I was determined to get through those first three hundred rounds no matter how much my hands ached and now the gun shoots right.

But over a year ago when my friend bought a High Point .45 NIB, we went to the range the same day without oiling it or anything. We put a Remington 250rd pack box through it and we could hit an 8"x11" piece of paper at twenty yards consistently when shooting five round strings. He's never had a problem with it as far as I know and I like to shoot it for five or ten rounds every time he brings it out.

So they are not pretty guns. But looks like if you get a good one, you've got a great one. If you get a lemon, than use the lifetime warranty and send it back. Easy peasy folks.

I won't snub High Points, I've contemplated getting one many times, I've never just found the love for it. But I think sometime this year I'll break down and get one in .40.

gym
January 28, 2014, 01:25 PM
it's just another firearm, unless you are using it to protect your life, "carrying it ", Then it shouldn't matter if it occasionally doesn't work like a Wilson. It just may get thrown in the back of the truck when you go plinking. I would defer from putting my life on the line using one, but that's just me. They don't all have to be perfect, if they don't serve a life threatening task for you. Maybe you just want a gun in your tackle box that you don't have to worry about getting wet or banged around in case you get bored and want to shoot at a target while your out in the woods.

ch84
January 30, 2014, 12:31 PM
A friend has a .40 carbine with no problems real fun for $350 not bad at all

aarondhgraham
January 30, 2014, 01:04 PM
I own a 995TS Carbine,,,
I bought it purely as a range toy,,,
So I could destroy large appliances with my friends.

I shoot with guys who have multi-thousand dollar AR's,,,
Several of the guys have Beretta Storm carbines,,,
In truth none show more reliability than mine.

In short my carbine performs as well as any rifle out there.

Back in the 60's my Father used to have to defend his Rambler,,,
But like the Hi-point carbine it always fired up,,,
It always went down the road in comfort,,,
But it sure wasn't a chick-magnet. :p

They are the Mo-Ped's of the gun world,,,
Fun as heck to shoot but you don't want to ever be seen with one. ;)

Aarond

texasgun
January 30, 2014, 10:30 PM
I don't get Hi-Point pistols... yes ... they are a few hundred cheaper than a Glock or M&P with vastly superior ergonomics and capacity - but given what ammo costs:

If you cannot afford a used Glock or M&P - how in the world are you going to afford all the ammo you are shooting?

I'd take a used Glock for $300 ANYDAY over a brand new Hi-Point for $170....

Ergonomics: Glock
Capacity: Glock
Aftermarket support: Glock
Accuracy: Glock
Weight: Glock
Holding it's value: Glock
Price: Hi-Point

wgaynor
January 30, 2014, 10:50 PM
texasgun, you'll never get the issue if you keep looking at it from only one perspective. Not everybody uses them for range weapons. Not everybody carries them. Not everybody can afford multiple boxes of ammo. Not everyone has your perspective.

It is a great tool for the purpose it was made. to provide option for those who either cannot afford anything else or those who are just entering the firearms world.

I wish everybody would stop forcing their negative opinions on others. It does no good.

Midwest
January 31, 2014, 07:30 AM
I don't get Hi-Point pistols... yes ... they are a few hundred cheaper than a Glock or M&P with vastly superior ergonomics and capacity - but given what ammo costs:

If you cannot afford a used Glock or M&P - how in the world are you going to afford all the ammo you are shooting?

I own the Hi Point .45 acp pistol. It is a good shooter and never jams.

If I had $300 and someone was selling a Glock for $300 I would buy it assuming it worked fine. I have never seen or heard of anyone selling a used Glock for $300.

Mike1234567
January 31, 2014, 09:57 AM
texasgun, you'll never get the issue if you keep looking at it from only one perspective. Not everybody uses them for range weapons. Not everybody carries them. Not everybody can afford multiple boxes of ammo. Not everyone has your perspective.

It is a great tool for the purpose it was made. to provide option for those who either cannot afford anything else or those who are just entering the firearms world.

I wish everybody would stop forcing their negative opinions on others. It does no good.
Agreed... Hi-Point pistols are an excellent option for those who can't afford anything else for home protection and can't afford to shoot very often.

undeRGRound
January 31, 2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all of the replies.
To clarify the key points made. These will NOT be home defense or carry guns. My idea is just a fun back yard (in the country) shooter. If I bought the group, I'd pass each of the three pistols to my three nephews and teach them each to shoot on their "own" firearms. The carbine would be a plinker for me until I save enough for my AR15 build.
I like the sound of their customer service and I have no qualms with paying for what you get. The way I see it is you don't learn to drive a stick in a 64 Mustang that you just build from the ground up.
They'd be guns to keep around the house for our family weekends "on the range" and letting the kids play with the big boys.
I may make a take-it-or-leave-it offer for the package.
Again, thanks for all the info.
Smart Dood!

My current crop of HPs has been 100% reliable.
I have each pistol with it's matching carbine.
Too bad the 995 and the C9 cannot share magazines, but the
JCP shares with the 4095 and the JHP shares with the 4595!
The latest gen 3 or 4 ProMags seem to work with the carbines,
but I have not tried the yet. As one other post on here said,
"The mags are EXPENSIVE!" well, my LGS has them for $16
each and they are about that online from HiPoint. Not bad
for extra mags, but I'd like more for less too LOL

My take? The bad rap that HiPoint gets is mostly from the jamming and
feed lip problems from the C9, that is what everyone hears about. If you
like tweaking your own handguns, then HP will send you free parts, cuz
then they don't have to fuss with the whole process and return shipping,
etc. So just get yourself an HP and start playing with it! Polish the slide
and tweak the feed lips (if needed) and then have fun, GO SHOOTING!

I also have plenty of other "expensive" guns, but these are really good.
I like shooting them as much as anything else I own, generally.

undeRGRound
January 31, 2014, 11:44 AM

I noticed you did not say

LOOKS: Glock

Cuz it is too close to call!!! lol :neener: :neener: :neener:

I lent out my JHP (45 for the noobs) to a good buddy of mine,
around August of 2013... still don't have it back...
In short, he's what one _might_ perceive as a "gun snob"
but he really likes it! His AR is a Colt, his EDC is a Sig 229,
he reloads, so on and so forth, owns a couple dozen guns
all together, BUT HE LIKES IT!

So do I, and I want it BACK! lol

buck460XVR
January 31, 2014, 12:13 PM
I don't get Hi-Point pistols... yes ... they are a few hundred cheaper than a Glock or M&P.

Yeah...I don't get Chevrolet's either.....they are only a few thousand less than a good Caddie or GMC. Or why folks insist on eating at home when eating out is only $20 or so more every night. Ain"t like they have a limit in their expendable income or anything............:rolleyes:

Again. I don't own an Hi-Point nor I have I ever shot one. But I know a few folks that do and have. Some of them are in the boat where they only had $200 to spend on a bedside gun and ammo to feed it, or they had to resort to a baseball bat. They aren't in the situation where they can afford another $200 on their credit card. If you've never been there, don't claim to know what they should do.

Other folks I know that have them have them solely because they were cheap and not a big investment. They also have quality guns....not a big deal. They still go bang.

BTW....lotta folks with higher standards than you put Glocks in the same boat you put Hi-Points. Just sayin'.

Mike1234567
January 31, 2014, 12:26 PM
<snip> I lent out my JHP (45 for the noobs) to a good buddy of mine,
around August of 2013... still don't have it back... <snip> So do I, and I want it BACK! lol

Loan most anything to most anyone... expect it gone forever.:(

undeRGRound
January 31, 2014, 02:17 PM
Loan most anything to most anyone... expect it gone forever.:(
All I gotta do is go over there, but he was going to bring it back to work.
It's OK, we were on a job with no restrictions on weapons in the car.
The job is over now. (construction)

donaldspark
January 31, 2014, 03:44 PM
I have never heard ANYTHING positive about Hi-Point, including on the reliability issue. The advice I gave to an aquaintance was to give it to someone he didn't like, I would suggest you do the same.

undeRGRound
January 31, 2014, 03:55 PM
I have never heard ANYTHING positive about Hi-Point, including on the reliability issue. The advice I gave to an aquaintance was to give it to someone he didn't like, I would suggest you do the same.
So all you talk to are Gun Snobs?

I have never heard ANYTHING positive about Hi-Point

I also own MANY more expensive weapons. For what they are, HP is great.
Value per dollar spent is on par with ANY weapon out there...
and much greater than MOST. They just WORK

Teachu2
January 31, 2014, 04:05 PM
And yet several members here have posted positive personal experiences with HP. Perhaps someone could read them out loud to you - then you'll have heard something positive about them.

Midwest
January 31, 2014, 04:16 PM

I have the .45 acp pistol. It never jams and it shoots good. I owned it for nearly two years. The gun is bulky and ugly, but reliable. I have said the same thing several times here on THR whenever these Hi Point threads appear. So I don't know what else to say.

If I can get a Glock for $300 as someone suggested (I haven't seen one at that price) and I have the money I would. But I still would not sell the Hi Point, because it works. If it didn't work, I would send it to the manufacturer to get it fixed for free. I'll say the same thing when another Hi Point thread appears 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, a year from now etc...

Um, that is pretty much it.......

FROGO207
January 31, 2014, 05:28 PM
Some people cannot wrap their brains around the principle that a firearm as inexpensive as a High Point can actually be worth MORE than they paid for it.:D:neener:

undeRGRound
January 31, 2014, 07:47 PM
I was going to suggest you do something else, but after all, this is...

THE HIGH ROAD

Kiln
January 31, 2014, 07:55 PM
The biggest problem with the carbines is that the firing pin channel wears out after 6k rounds or so. I've seen these types of failures several times on high mileage guns at HPFF.

wgaynor
January 31, 2014, 08:12 PM
then you're not talking to too many people... just saying.

undeRGRound
January 31, 2014, 08:44 PM
The biggest problem with the carbines is that the firing pin channel wears out after 6k rounds or so. I've seen these types of failures several times on high mileage guns at HPFF.
Hmmm...

I will put some DFL in there. Could help.
But if the striker/hammer hits it sideways, it may still wear.
Good Info, I never saw that @HPFF (yet)

CZ223
January 31, 2014, 08:57 PM
I used to hate Hi-Points. I used to say stuff like, "I wouldn't take one if you bought it for me" but then I found an old 995 at the gun store for $125. I took it out and ran 50 rounds through it without a hitch. I wanted to hate it, really I did.:o I couldn't pass it up. I liked it so much that I ran out and bought one in 40 S&W.:evil: I got it used as well, for $240, it is like new. It kicks a little more than the 9mm but it is a lot of fun still. I would trust mine as a HD gun. I have several high end AR-15's and lots of expensive handguns but I have always had a fondness for inexpensive guns that get the job done. I love watching a guy with a an 870 beat up on the Trap Gurus with the Benelli's and Krieghoff's. The only thing I would change is magazine capacity. I have run 3-4 hundred through both the beat-up 9mm and the like new 40 without a hitch. I plan on buying a couple of more just to have for when prices go nuts again. Face it, you can't sell ammo to people for 2-3 times what you paid for it if they don't have anything to shoot it in.:evil:

Deltaboy
January 31, 2014, 11:09 PM
Folks they work and that is all matters me.

we are not amused
February 1, 2014, 05:43 PM
Was surprised to see this thread still kicking around.

With the exception of a couple of gun snobs who obviously have more money than brains, the verdict seems to be that Hi-Points are well worth the money.

Not surprised, as Hi-Point sells a lot of guns, not something they would do if the critics were correct.

As for the people who think they are ugly, nobody gives Glock high praise for the beauty of their pistols, and with good reason. But nobody,(anymore) argues that they are not good guns.

It seems to come down to the cost of the guns. They are cheap. Someone who pays three or four times (or more) the cost of a Hi-Point, is going to be embarrassed to admit the Hi-Point is as good as their gun.:neener:

For most people, a stock 1911 A1, with upgraded sights, is all the gun they really need in a 1911 format. They aren't competitive shooting, or carrying it concealed, so why pay $1,500 or more, when $500 gets you what you need? Still a lot of people pay very big bucks for a custom 1911 so they can brag about it's features that they never take advantage of and it's cost. And yes, people brag about the cost.:rolleyes:
My next weapon will probably be a Hi-point carbine, in 9mm. A friend of mine owns one, and it is a joy to shoot. :D

Duckdog
February 1, 2014, 05:53 PM
I have a 9mm Carbine besides 9MM, 380, and 45 ACP high point pistols I bought for shooting cast bullets through and the do go bang every time. For the jing spent, they are a real value. I have a FFL 03 and collect, and have many other military pistols and I must say that even though they are built heavier, they really do not shoot any better,

I would never hesitate to buy another one. In fact, I am looking at a 45 ACP carbine.

Kiln
February 12, 2014, 06:08 AM
Hmmm...

I will put some DFL in there. Could help.
But if the striker/hammer hits it sideways, it may still wear.
Good Info, I never saw that @HPFF (yet)
Here's an old thread:

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f274/worn-out-283383/

Most of the pictures that used to be there are gone but there are a couple that show some pretty horrible failures. The posters in the thread claiming only about 5k or so rounds before the firing pin channel is so worn that the gun can't function.

There is at least one good picture in the thread left to illustrate.

It wouldn't be a problem to me but the carbines are considerably more expensive than the pistols, which have similar lifespans but only cost about $140 or so. When the carbines run at $350 or more, the Kel Tec Sub2k seems like a better option IMO.

undeRGRound
February 12, 2014, 03:45 PM
Thx Alot Kiln!

I bet I can do some PM and make it last longer... :D

powder
February 12, 2014, 05:22 PM
I was a snob on these units until I read a review/test from gun tests .com, the magazine a neighbor lent me. They tested the 4595 and it went head to head with IIRC the Kriss Vector. IIRC, Hi-Point had a B+ and the Kriss had an A-. No kidding. At fun shows they go for 350-400-online they list for 269 or so.

Baron66
February 12, 2014, 11:58 PM
I fired a HP 9mm carbine in Ohio a few months ago and it was just fine. Very accurate and it ate everything that I fed into it.

I think people hate them because they are not the gorgeous pieces of art that some other guns are. They may not be pretty, but they do their job, and you have to respect that.

Rusty Luck
February 13, 2014, 02:41 AM
I have an older 995 with the ATI stock on it, it's great a ton of cheap fun.
About a month ago at a gun show at GRB in Houston my friend bought a new in box 995 with iron sights and RDS included for $265(tax included).

1911 guy
February 13, 2014, 03:23 AM
Hi-Point guns?
They're freaking ugly.
They're heavy
They have the ergonomics of a rigor mortised cat

They are also inexpensive, reliable, decently accurate, mags don't cost a fortune and they're available in all the common autoloading pistol calibers.

I don't own one simply because I have been blessed with an income my entire adult life that allows some leeway in disposable income. Were that to change, or maybe I just wanted a "beater" gun, I'd start pondering Hi-Point right out of the gate. Yes, I've shot some. Yes, I've serviced some and no, I didn't come away thinking "Man, I gotta get one". But I also know that while you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear, there are some pretty darn good sows ears being made in Mansfield, Ohio.

allin
February 13, 2014, 06:06 AM
i have had and shot a Hi Point for years. Read a lot of negative stuff about them, but have never experienced a problem with my C9. Goes bang every time, fun to shoot. Not a CCW piece by any means but made in US (Ohio) reliable, inexpensive, ok to keep in garage, truck, tackle box, etc. I have 12 other revolvers and semi autos, 38, 357, 9mm, 45acp, 22, Smiths, Colts, Taurus, Charter Arms, Remington, and a very old Marlin model 60 22 lr rifle. the High Point is a good affordable gun.

KevininPa
February 13, 2014, 06:23 PM
I didn't read through all the replies. My experience with the C9 was good. It was my first semi. It always went bang. It's accuracy was decent. Wish I kept it as a car/truck gun.

My shooting buddy had one of the "ape" guns. Put the ATI stock on it. With that stock it handled really well. It always went bang. It's accuracy was actually REALLY decent. And we shot that thing with the cheapest crap we could find. He wishes he kept it as a car/truck gun.

I wish I would've bought it off him for a car/truck/camp gun.

I guess you figured out by now that we wished we kept'em. Get it?

roadliner
February 15, 2014, 02:25 AM
I have a 995 that I bought new for less than two bills and immediately put it into a ATI stock. They are ugly.

Now it looks similar to my CX4 and shoots just as well. Both are accurate and have never jammed. So compared to the Beretta, the Hi Point is a fantastic value.

About never hearing a good thing about them, well in my experience most of the stories I've heard are favorable.

I have more expensive guns than the 995, but not all of them have been as trouble free.

texasgun
February 15, 2014, 12:07 PM
"It seems to come down to the cost of the guns. They are cheap. Someone who pays three or four times (or more) the cost of a Hi-Point, is going to be embarrassed to admit the Hi-Point is as good as their gun. "

No - a Hi-Point is not "as good as their gun" unless the feature "it goes bang everytime" is the only feature you are looking for....

- Hi-Points are extremely top heavy thanks to the heavy and over-sized slide on a small polymer frame

- very high bore-axis

- ergonomics of a brick

not a bad gun for the price but saying that a Hi-Point is "as good as" a Glock, M&P etc is simply not taking all aspects of a handgun into consideration.

There's a reason why they are a few hundred $ cheaper than "normal" polymer framed guns. The difference between casted slides and machined slides is significant in production costs....

gym
February 15, 2014, 09:13 PM
One could buy a catapult also and make an argument for that, but in reality it's still a catapult. If you can't get anything better, "which is hard to believe", There were Glock trade ins from LEO's, I listed yesterday for the 3 hundred range, then go ahead, and buy it. But don't pretend it's as good as a Glock, M&P, or Xd. Unless you are delusional there are too many reasons to list here why it isn't as good. But too much bandwidth has already been wasted on this nonsense.
The wonderful thing about this country is that you can have anything that you can afford to buy, guns are not expensive when compared even to TV's, so when ones life is a stake, the least one can do is chose a good weapon to carry, to protect their life and the lives of their family.
But people buy Citroen 2cv's also. And think they are beautiful. The Carbine may work as a 2nd weapon, but that's the limit of what a sane person would do with one, other than hammer nails with it.
Just looking at them makes me want to surrender.

Mike1234567
February 15, 2014, 09:52 PM
One could buy a catapult also and make an argument for that, but in reality it's still a catapult. If you can't get anything better, "which is hard to believe", There were Glock trade ins from LEO's, I listed yesterday for the 3 hundred range, then go ahead, and buy it. But don't pretend it's as good as a Glock, M&P, or Xd. Unless you are delusional there are too many reasons to list here why it isn't as good. But too much bandwidth has already been wasted on this nonsense.
The wonderful thing about this country is that you can have anything that you can afford to buy, guns are not expensive when compared even to TV's, so when ones life is a stake, the least one can do is chose a good weapon to carry, to protect their life and the lives of their family.
But people buy Citroen 2cv's also. And think they are beautiful. The Carbine may work as a 2nd weapon, but that's the limit of what a sane person would do with one, other than hammer nails with it.

And a catapult would likely cost $5-10K, wouldn't fit on a night stand and be quite unwieldy to use during a break-in. Right? Not everyone can afford a $1K pistol nor a $1K TV. That's a SILLY argument based on complete disconnect with many people's financial situations.

wgaynor
February 15, 2014, 10:01 PM
my post was a low blow.

gym
February 15, 2014, 11:17 PM
If you look way back when this started, I said to go ahead and buy them because at that price they were a good deal, but 115 posts later to be singing the praises of these guns and actually comparing them to much better quality weapons is just wasting time, and making idle conversation. If you can't afford a gun you really shouldn't be giving opinions on why other people buy what they choose to.
And again the martyr card is not going to work when we have thousands of members who have a vast amount of guns, as well as some who only have one.
People who come here for information should not be led to believe that all guns are created equal, as they aren't, much may be preference, but a certain level of quality is what most people want and you aren't going to achieve that with a weapon like that, let alone get proper usage for most things one wants in a gun.
When you are looking at a matter of a hundred to two hundred dollar difference in a rock and a baseball there really should be no question which would be better to play ball with.

undeRGRound
February 15, 2014, 11:27 PM
my post was a low blow.
So then I'll do it for ya :D

"gym" said:

Hopefully all the "bad guys" will do the same! ;) JK

I have some fine weapons, (S&W, Ruger, and others) and I have every model
of Hi Point except the 380 (if I get a 380, it will be a true pocket gun, not this behemoth!)
Handguns and Carbines. $$$ Spent to Satisfaction Ratio is near the top end of
my scale for the Hi Points! I bought a pocket gun that was as much as my 995
and it is more picky and less reliable than the 995 carbine. But for what it is,
I'm Keeping It!

Your post is making me think you have never shot an HP. :scrutiny:

gym
February 15, 2014, 11:56 PM
For what I need a weapon for they would be completely unacceptable. For plinking I could see it or in a preppers role of having inexpensive guns buried around their lair. But as a serious "carry" or duty weapon? That would never happen, again, I can see the carbines as a secondary weapon, but this should never be your primary, go to gun.
If you can afford a TV or cell phone, you can afford a better quality gun to protect your life with. I have shot them as I have shot most weapons in 44 years of shooting and carrying a gun.
I would never carry one.

Mooseman
February 15, 2014, 11:59 PM
@GYM "But people buy Citroen 2cv's also. And think they are beautiful."

You know I had to look up a Citroen 2cv was. Those things are cool as hell!

Btw, I do own a Hi-Point and pretty much like it for the same reasons folks like the Citroen. I also have a G34 which is a much better firearm but it doesn't diminish my love for any of my other guns.

Robert
February 16, 2014, 12:05 AM
Yeah, that's enough of this.

If you enjoyed reading about "High Point firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!