Would I be able to buy a gun?

PDA

EiEi
January 20, 2014, 12:42 AM
I'm currently 19 and live in PA. I have 4 disorderly conduct charges, all of these charges are from when I was under 18. Would I be able to pass the background check to buy a rifle?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would I be able to buy a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
danez71
January 20, 2014, 12:46 AM
Did any of those charges to into convictions?

If yes, were any of them felonies?

EiEi
January 20, 2014, 12:51 AM
I got fined between $250-$500 for each of the. None were felonies, however It was for fighting. (I was an idiot in school).

Jim K
January 20, 2014, 01:01 AM
The federal law (18 USC 922) says:

"(g) It shall be unlawful for any person—
(1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year..." to buy or own a gun or ammo.

Disorderly conduct is usually a misdemeanor with a maximum penalty of less than a year in prison, so you probably will have no problem buying any gun under Federal law, but I don't know PA law.

Jim

danez71
January 20, 2014, 01:30 AM
I agree with Jims answer.

EiEi, I'm glad that it sounds like you put that behavior behind you.

Welcome to the forum.

Theres a wealth of info here. Hang around for a while and you'll learn a lot. I have!

EiEi
January 20, 2014, 02:00 AM
Thanks guys.

Mike1234567
January 20, 2014, 08:56 AM
I'll be the odd one here and ask what may be an unpopular question: Given your relatively recent aggressive behavior, are you sure you're ready to own a firearm? Pulling a trigger is much easier than throwing punches. I intend no offense. It's just a question about self-control.

sota
January 20, 2014, 09:06 AM
I've read this thread and nodded slowly at mike's comment. I shall add this phrase to your contemplation...

"In times of anger, wise men keep their swords sheathed".

Owning and having a firearm will require untold levels of calm consideration in the face of maddening anger. Can you say your soul is at peace enough to be wise in the face of anger?

rondog
January 20, 2014, 11:52 AM
Just my opinion, but he mentioned "rifle" and "PA", so I'm thinking he probably wants to go deer hunting?

Mike1234567
January 20, 2014, 03:22 PM
Just my opinion, but he mentioned "rifle" and "PA", so I'm thinking he probably wants to go deer hunting?
True, that. But rifles can be misused too. When I was sixteen a buddy of mine pointed a loaded rifle at one of his other friends and threatened to kill him. I took it away from him but only after he'd butted me in the temple with it the first attempt. I had an under-skin scar for about ten years.

danez71
January 20, 2014, 06:07 PM
He's paid his debt to society, its been approx 2 years since the misdemeanors, and he recognizes it was stupid.

What do you guys want? Psychological evaluation by the government, DNA sample and 6 references from non family members and non friends.

jiminy crickets fellas.... remember the 2A?

ETA: I'm assuming he's not on probation.

Mike1234567
January 20, 2014, 06:09 PM
Two years is not a lot of time. I know from personal experience. Change and maturity do not develop overnight. I'll fight for 2A rights but I wouldn't let my very own son control a firearm if he had violent tendencies. But I'm his dad and I love him.

BigBL87
January 20, 2014, 07:11 PM
Two years is not a lot of time. I know from personal experience. Change and maturity do not develop overnight. I'll fight for 2A rights but I wouldn't let my very own son control a firearm if he had violent tendencies. But I'm his dad and I love him.

Well put. As a correctional officer in the juvenile justice system, I echo pretty much everything you've posted. Not familiar with PA's background check process, but with multiple violent misdemeanors I suppose it could be possible to get denied. To echo what Mike said, before purchasing a firearm I would think twice, and then think a third time. Especially with a history of violent behavior, you need to make sure you are ready for the responsibility of owning a firearm and are getting one for the right reasons. Especially if you have a history of anger issues (most juveniles who come through our facility for fighting do), you need to be sure about it for your own protection. Getting angry and throwing a punch and getting angry and pulling a trigger have very different consequences.

Sorry if that came across as preachy, didn't intend it to be, but working in the justice system I felt it needed to be said.

SconnieGirl
January 20, 2014, 07:22 PM
The "would" and "should" are two very different things here. Disorderly conducts are sometimes non-criminal; forfeitures. Others are misdemeanors, which is a crime, but obviously not typically carrying a prohibitive penalty.

You mostly likely would be able to buy a rifle.

Should you? It depends what you want it for.

Fighting is one thing. Assault is another. Hopefully the disorderly conduct charges were for mutual combat amongst teen peers.

herrwalther
January 20, 2014, 08:07 PM
Should be no issues. Especially since the offenses were under 18 and juvenile records are, typically, sealed. Welcome to the forum. Firearms are like chips, you can't have just one.

EiEi
January 20, 2014, 09:07 PM
Yeah I wanted to get the Ruger M77 Hawkeye for hunting.

Red Wind
January 20, 2014, 09:17 PM
^ Excellent choice. :) What caliber?

Arkansas Paul
January 20, 2014, 09:31 PM
Don't know about PA, but here in Arkansas, it would likely at least be delayed. I work for the prosecuting attorney's office and one of the things I do is handle paperwork from the FBI when the NICS check turns something up. They send them to us a lot for just misdemeanors. They're needing to know the charge and the outcome.

FYI, it doesn't have to involve a felony offense to have your gun rights stripped. There are situations where domestic violence convictions can lead to not being able to own a firearm.

The good news, at least here in Arkansas, is that is isn't terribly difficult to have your record expunged/sealed. Then your gun rights should be restored.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you have matured in the last couple years. If you have, I wish you success in your endeavor.

EiEi
January 20, 2014, 10:12 PM

pdsmith505
January 21, 2014, 02:22 AM
I got into a lot of fights as a kid from elementary until i hit high school. Never once did it occur to me to take my ar and settle a score or some such nonsense... and I've had that rifle since I was seven.

Now-a-days an old fashioned fist fight between two kids will get you arrested. To assume the OP is a reckless, terrible person who can't be trusted with a firearm requires some pretty broad assumptions.

OP: as far as the federal gov't is concerned, you're good to go as previously posted. Good luck and happy hunting.

Mike1234567
January 21, 2014, 12:35 PM
I got into a lot of fights as a kid from elementary until i hit high school. Never once did it occur to me to take my ar and settle a score or some such nonsense... and I've had that rifle since I was seven.

Now-a-days an old fashioned fist fight between two kids will get you arrested. To assume the OP is a reckless, terrible person who can't be trusted with a firearm requires some pretty broad assumptions.

OP: as far as the federal gov't is concerned, you're good to go as previously posted. Good luck and happy hunting.

No one here said that. A few only suggested extremely careful consideration and some deep soul-searching before buying a firearm if we've had some violent tendencies in the fairly recent past. It's just common sense. No one here wants to deny anyone their 2A rights... but we all should moderate ourselves if we think there's ANY reasonable doubt that we can't control our own impulsive acts.

For Example: As my mind slowly deteriorates, I keep extreme watch over my thoughts, actions, cognition and memory. Some day I'll recognize that I'll need to sell all my firearms... and stop driving too. That's self-moderation.

danez71
January 21, 2014, 03:53 PM
I'll just say it again.

He's paid his debt to society, its been approx 2 years since the misdemeanors, and he recognizes it was stupid.

And again....

He's paid his dept to society. Its been 2 yearssince and he recognizes the mistakes.

How many more years do you people want from him?

I'm sure if it was any one of you in his position (not on parole, 2 yrs clean record) you'd be posting how you should be allowed to buy a gun.

Mike1234567
January 21, 2014, 04:14 PM
I'll just say it again.

And again....

He's paid his dept to society. Its been 2 yearssince and he recognizes the mistakes.

How many more years do you people want from him?

I'm sure if it was any one of you in his position (not on parole, 2 yrs clean record) you'd be posting how you should be allowed to buy a gun.

Maybe so but in our youth we often don't recognize unwise decisions. EiEi probably has matured and moderated himself at this point. He'll make that decision for himself. But we all sometimes need to hear others' words... wise may they be or not. I'm sure EiEi appreciates your opinion but surely he's giving this some thought. No one wants to make him doubt his intentions... just be aware of his reactive tendencies under stress.

danez71
January 21, 2014, 04:50 PM
Maybe so but in our youth we often don't recognize unwise decisions. EiEi probably has matured and moderated himself at this point. He'll make that decision for himself. But we all sometimes need to hear others' words... wise may they be or not. I'm sure EiEi appreciates your opinion but surely he's giving this some thought. No one wants to make him doubt his intentions... just be aware of his reactive tendencies under stress.

But HE HAS recognized his mistakes as stated in post# 3 but it seems like most everyone just glossed over that.

The fact that you wrote that indicates you either didn't read it or, for the most part, chose to dismiss it.

The fact that he's now 19 and didn't go rush our and buy a rifle or even ask his question as soon as he turned 18 says something as well.

We have a new member. About 10 different people posted in this thread.

Only 2 people 'Welcomed' him.

About 5 people tried to address his question or showed interest in his choice of rifle.

And about 5 people chose to be skeptical and question his character right off the bat. Never welcoming him. Never asking any relevant questions.

He recognized admitted the mistakes he made over 2 yrs ago in his 2nd post (3rd post in this thread).

If he blamed everyone else I would understand more but he didn't. He took responsibility for it. He showed maturity.

BP Hunter
January 21, 2014, 05:45 PM
Visit you local gunstore, find you Ruger and purchase it. That's the only way to truly find out if you will be given the "proceed". And if you do...happy hunting.

Mike1234567
January 21, 2014, 05:48 PM
But HE HAS recognized his mistakes as stated in post# 3 but it seems like most everyone just glossed over that.

The fact that you wrote that indicates you either didn't read it or, for the most part, chose to dismiss it.

The fact that he's now 19 and didn't go rush our and buy a rifle or even ask his question as soon as he turned 18 says something as well.

We have a new member. About 10 different people posted in this thread.

Only 2 people 'Welcomed' him.

About 5 people tried to address his question or showed interest in his choice of rifle.

And about 5 people chose to be skeptical and question his character right off the bat. Never welcoming him. Never asking any relevant questions.

He recognized admitted the mistakes he made over 2 yrs ago in his 2nd post (3rd post in this thread).

If he blamed everyone else I would understand more but he didn't. He took responsibility for it. He showed maturity.
I can tell that your intentions are good. So are mine. I've stated my thoughts and I'll say no more about it.

BigBL87
January 22, 2014, 12:10 AM
I can tell that your intentions are good. So are mine. I've stated my thoughts and I'll say no more about it.

I don't think you've said anything wrong. I'm not saying people shouldn't have a gun just because of a past record, but like you I just want to encourage extra thought if someone might have a history of anger issues.

EiEi
January 22, 2014, 12:12 AM
Yeah I realize what I did was foolish. And I would never try to do harm to anybody with a firearm, and I realize how dangerous they actually are.

Thanks all for the welcomes, opinions, and statements.

coloradokevin
January 22, 2014, 01:01 AM

What do you guys want? Psychological evaluation by the government, DNA sample and 6 references from non family members and non friends.

jiminy crickets fellas.... remember the 2A?

ETA: I'm assuming he's not on probation.

I don't know, but from what I read it sounds like most people were just asking this individual to do a little bit of personal self-reflection and soul searching... none of which are contrary to your 2nd Amendment rights.

Personally, I was thinking the exact same thing as I read the opening post. While the OP is certainly clear to own a gun from a criminal background standpoint, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is mature enough to be ready to do so.

Similarly, I dissuaded one of my friends from taking up reloading because I know that he isn't responsible enough to do so in a way that wouldn't cause him to blow up a rifle, and possibly part of his hand.

Gun ownership isn't for everyone, at least not at every time in their lives. I've had some friends who have gone through periods in their lives where they recognized that it wasn't a good idea for them to be owning guns at that time. It's a much better idea to suggest that the OP think about his own frame of mind than it is to suggest that he takes on a huge responsibility that he isn't able to handle.

To the OP: Welcome to THR! As others have said, you should be fine to pass an NICS check. Just make sure you've matured to the point that you aren't going to allow yourself to do something stupid with this rifle. With power comes responsibility. I've carried a gun for the past decade as a police officer in a rough area, and I'll say that it certainly takes some maturity to know how to avoid getting in a fight, and to know when to keep your gun in a holster.

I'm not suggesting that you are inclined to do something stupid with a firearm, but given that you've been in a lot of fights by your own admission (and relatively recently), I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Mike1234567
January 22, 2014, 10:10 AM
Piggy-backing on the mention of reloading and how it applies to me regarding personal responsibility and self-moderation... I won't do it. I did when I was a young man but I recognize that it would be a bit dangerous for me and others around me if I did today. I no longer have the concentration and am prone to errors. Reloading requires precision and concentration that I no longer have. If I'm particularly fuzzy-minded I won't shoot either. It's not worth possible mistakes. I do plan on buying some reloading eqipment and supplies but I'll have someone I trust do the work and I'll just be an extra set of eyes... always a good thing.

Again... just has to do with recognizing (and accepting) one's one weaknesses and tendencies and taking steps to avoid mistakes.

EiEi seems like a very decent young man and his lack of lashing out at those whose intentions could easily be misunderstood by a person with a short temper reinforces that gut feeling.

EiEi, I do hope you're ready for firearm ownership and I hope you enjoy the hell out of it. :)

gibson_es
January 22, 2014, 10:27 AM
I had a bit of a time when I was in HS and even right after. Not really violence but with "mind altering" substances. I didn't purchase a firearm until I was smart enough to stop, I was still 18, but barely.

If the OP has moved on, like it seems he has, morally I would beleive he is fine. Kids and young adults Dont always make good decisions, but often we (I'm still young at 24) get the important ones right.

However, I Dont chastise those that are asking the "soul searching" questions. I would have been disappointed not to have seem a couple in this thread

Sam1911
January 22, 2014, 10:31 AM
The original question is answered, and the bigger picture question has been explored about as far as we can realistically take it.

The OP has acknowledged the advice, and this isn't "True Confessions" so let's call it done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would I be able to buy a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!