Age of Revolver Fanatics?

PDA

TanklessPro
January 20, 2014, 05:10 PM
The last of my purchases have been mostly revolvers. I have picked up a Ruger SS BH in 45LC, 620, 686 4", 686 6", 627 4", 65, and a Taurus 608. I want to get a 625, 629, 29,18,19, sp101, gp100 and a jframe but I have not decided which one.
I'm 38 and I find most of the people my age are not into revolvers. The tend to like the Tupperware, which I like but they just aren't revolvers. I find that my friends that are 60+ are who I talk wheelies with. A friend just sold 20 colts because he said, " my only son said he has no use for them....." My father in law who is in his late 60's, has only owned 1 revolver his entire life.
Am I in an area that just dislikes revolver. My question is what's your age and do you see the younger generation headed away from revolvers?

If you enjoyed reading about "Age of Revolver Fanatics?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rush_Fan
January 20, 2014, 05:44 PM
I'm 43. I like all of my guns: Glocks, Kimber, AR's, Beretta, Marlin, Henry, Remingtons, etc. However, a few years ago, soon after becoming a reloader who hates chasing down my brass, I fell in love with revolvers, older S&W in particular. My last 2 handgun purchases have been a S&W 629-1 .44 Mag and a stainless Ruger New Vaquero in .357 Mag. I'm now considering a New Model Blackhawk Bisley in .44 Special.

Rush_Fan
January 20, 2014, 05:47 PM
I forgot to mention, I conceal-carry a S&W 442 .38 Special and have for the last 17 years.

PiratePenguin
January 20, 2014, 05:57 PM
I answered for MrsPenguin, since she's decided revolvers are her jam.

I want one too, but I kind of want one of everything.

SuedePflow
January 20, 2014, 05:58 PM
I love all of my handguns. I definitely gravitate toward my autoloaders, but still have a huge appreciation for my wheel guns. In fact, the last two handguns I've purchased were both revolvers. And I'm 30 years old.

Most people that I shoot with or talk guns with on a regular basis really like revolvers. Most wouldn't EDC one though, mostly due to limited capacity.

56hawk
January 20, 2014, 06:04 PM
I'm 36 now, but I was 16 when I got my first revolver.

Driftwood Johnson
January 20, 2014, 06:10 PM
Howdy

I am a bit over 60. I have a few (maybe a dozen) semi-autos, but I have many, many more revolvers.

bannockburn
January 20, 2014, 06:11 PM
Most of my friends, myself included (we being in the over 50 age bracket), prefer semi-autos for CCW and revolvers (typically big bore single actions), for plinking and informal target shooting. I'm probably the only one who occasionally conceal carries a S&W J frame, typically a Model 649 or 638.

460Kodiak
January 20, 2014, 06:56 PM
First handgun I ever bought was a Ruger SP101. Last one was a S&W 3rd model Hand Ejector. I'm 33. This will be a life long hobby.

Comrade Mike
January 20, 2014, 07:16 PM
I'm 20 and had two revolvers given to me and I love them. The smith and wesson collection will be expanding come April :D

Vodoun da Vinci
January 20, 2014, 07:22 PM
First gun I purchased back in the mid 1970's was a Dan Wesson 15-2VH revolver. I owned a lot of guns and sold them all over the years...started fresh 2 years ago with some inherited guns including a Dan Wesson 15-2VH that my Father in Law purchased so i could inherit it and get back the gun I sold many years ago for food.

I have a lot of cool guns now including several cutting edge autos but the guns I keep going to at fondle and play time are mostly revolvers like a S&W model 19, a Ruger LCR and Blackhawk and Bearcat.

And the Dan Wesson.

VooDoo

rcmodel
January 20, 2014, 08:41 PM
Yes, I see the younger generation moving away from revolvers.

At least until rap music, and the latest video games start to glorify pre-war S&W & Colt revolvers!!!

rc

USSR
January 20, 2014, 09:40 PM
Nice Bell Curve.:)

Don

CajunBass
January 20, 2014, 09:43 PM
I'm 61. I've actually got more semi's than I revolvers at this time but that's only because I've sold off most of my collection, but kept Ruger 22's.

I've owned many, many more revolvers over the years.

Cocked & Locked
January 20, 2014, 10:42 PM
70 here and like both revolvers and some autos. I probably have an even number of each.

If I could have only revolvers or semis I would go with the revolvers.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6259764/406625961.jpg

CraigC
January 21, 2014, 01:50 AM
39 and revolvers are my passion. Nearly three dozen single actions alone.

At least until rap music, and the latest video games start to glorify pre-war S&W & Colt revolvers!!!
There might be hope, last one I played glorified flintlock pistols. ;)

BullRunBear
January 21, 2014, 01:50 AM
I'm 60 and have my share of semis but have always preferred revolvers. They have a longer history which is part of my interest in firearms. They are more versatile for reloading, lend themselves to a more measured pace at the range, and I think they just look cooler. Also, age, size and old injuries make chasing brass less than fun. No one has come up with a cap and ball semi. :D Finally, for some reason, I'm more accurate with revolvers especially beyond 25 yards.

blarby
January 21, 2014, 02:09 AM
I picked my age.

Im a revolver fanatic.

I own two, and no personal semi pistols.

Coincidentally, both in the same bore..... something about .430 lead gets my blood just the way it should be.

Twiki357
January 21, 2014, 02:37 AM
Most of my guns are revolvers (16 of 18 are S&W) and all but one of the S&Ws are pre-IL. I do have a few semi-autos, but at 71, chasing brass has become a chore so they pretty much just sit there feeling lonely. All I ever carry is one of my 3 model 37s.

Quentin
January 21, 2014, 02:55 AM
I'm 66 but have more semiautos than revolvers which is the reverse of most of my peers. I've just always loved the 1911, Hi Power, S&W and other semis. I like revolvers but for twenty years only had one, a S&W Model 19. Now I've added a few more classics to go along with the semis.

gotboostvr
January 21, 2014, 06:53 AM
I'm mid twenties, and started on semi's. I bought my first pistol when I moved into a bad neighborhood when I was even younger, a used but good condition S&W 469 (G19 sized alloy framed 9mm double stack). Then I bought a few more auto's as I would occasionally find one of those "That's too good of a deal not to!" deals, which is how I picked up my first revolver, a pinned and recessed Model 19-3, just a hint of holster wear on the barrel, original target grips and not even a hint of a turn line.

...It's definitely got a turn line now. It's what I picked from my options for the first time I tried competing in any shooting sport. Yes, my first pistol happened to be a Smith, but the 19 was really the catalyst for my rapidly developing S&W collection.

I bought a Glock 34 after my first IDPA season, but I think I might see if I can trade it for a 4-5" M625 since the thing's only seen less than 500 rds.

On my first hunt with a firearm I packed a 6" 686Plus.

I love being able to load my ammo to "whatever my mood is" and not have to worry about function. Mouse farts to Nuke Laloose wild.

I really love that all my Smiths, and all my friends Smiths outshoot everything but a few REALLY tuned up 1911's.

Even my carry is a revolver! 2" M64, I think it's just about perfection incarnate.

My shooting buddies seem about 50/50 split for favorites, but they all appreciate the other.

HexHead
January 21, 2014, 08:53 AM
It wasn't that long ago I had little to no interest in revolvers. Now I have twice as many as I do semis, and I can usually be found with one in my pocket. I normally carry one of my Colt Detective Specials or a Smith 438. Here's my latest, I brought home on Saturday. I'd been looking for years for just the right deal. 1968 Colt Police Positive Special, .38 Special.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/scat999999/BD9AF47D-FAF2-447E-882D-E4BEF580105C_zpst4ptq7fy.jpg

MrBorland
January 21, 2014, 09:20 AM
Early 50s. Just naturally gravitated towards revolvers for some reason.

SG1
January 21, 2014, 12:03 PM
I'm 41, and to me there's nothing like a steel gun with an exposed hammer. I love 1911's, but to me revolvers are just classic style. I've always loved SAA guns and clones. I'm currently drooling over many S&W classic revolvers but my budget only allows so much.

I do carry a XDs in .45 for EDC. I carried a Ruger SP101 for years but there is something about the .45ACP round that I really like. I also have a pocket .380 (Taurus TCP738) but those are the only 2 tupperware guns I own.

I've been dreaming of a S&W Mountain gun in .45ACP, or another .45ACP revolver, but they are expensive and outside of my budget right now.

9mmfan
January 21, 2014, 02:23 PM
I'm 40 and my first gun was a revolver, followed by a mess of semi autos. Gradually went back the other way. Current tally is ten revolvers and only three semis. This was all compressed time-wise, as I didn't own my first gun until November of '06.

I seemingly am going backwards, starting with DA revolvers, then a couple single action cartridge guns. My last purchase was an Uberti 1860 Army clone. At this rate, I'll end up with a sling to back up the spear in my chariot.

Maybe it does have something to do with aging, I don't know. Of course folks have accused me of being an old man since I was 22.

I do find revolvers to be more interesting. That being said, my nightstand/main carry is a Glock 19.

lowercase
January 21, 2014, 03:04 PM
42 for me.

Certified revolver-holic.

S&W, Ruger, Colt, Charter, H&R.

All are welcome in my safe. :)

boom boom
January 21, 2014, 03:25 PM
Have about the same number of revolvers as semi's. Like both, shoot both, carry both. However, my goto ccw is a S&W Model 60 (no dash) J Frame snubbie when it is time to go out. Fits my small hand like a glove and I shoot it well. Recently added laser sights to it for low light issues such as when I walk the dog-and yes, I do carry two HKS speedloaders and practice reloading the J Frame on a regular basis.

TennJed
January 21, 2014, 06:52 PM
around 40

I own:

Ruger Redhawk 45 colt
Ruger Vaquero 45 colt
Ruger Vaquero 357 mag
Ruger Security Six 357 mag
Ruger LCR 22lr
Ruger Single Six
S&W 617
S&W 360PD
Dan Wesson 357 mag 2"
Colt Detective Special
NAA Black Widow
NAA 22lr mini
H&R 949

AhSpray
January 21, 2014, 08:03 PM
49. Hunted down and secured a S&W 686 about 4 years ago. Love to shoot that beauty - as does my wife. In fact, I tracked down a 617 about a year later so I could blow through .22 ammo ten at a time with the same frame and feel.
So many revolvers, so little time.

Haywood
January 21, 2014, 10:32 PM
61 and I liked revolvers since I sat on grandpa's lap watching cowboys in the 50's

03fatboy
January 21, 2014, 10:33 PM
43 this year,
I have a addiction to revolver's there is something about the coolness and the character of them that the autos don't have.
Wife likes semi-autos she has two, but I still love her regardless.

carbuncle
January 21, 2014, 11:15 PM
43, as I get into reloading I find the revolvers are moving up the list. More accurate, more fun and less hassle chasing brass.

TennJed
January 21, 2014, 11:16 PM
43, as I get into reloading I find the revolvers are moving up the list. More accurate, more fun and less hassle chasing brass.

that is a good point I forgot to mention. Much better for reloaders

BlindJustice
January 22, 2014, 02:07 PM
63 yrs in age.

First handgun I bought( Dad actually) was in
mid-60s, at age 13 or 14 a
S&W K-22 Combat asterpiece Model 18

Today I've got
S&W Model 625 5" Bbl. .45 ACP & .45 Auto RIm
S&W Model 617 6" Bbl. 10 shot cyl.
S&W Model 60 3" Bbl. .357 Mag
The first two have Guy Hogue Rosewood and Coco bolo wood
grips. & I'd like soething for the 60 for better recoil mgmnt

I've also got a 1911 and a CZ 75B
so since the revolvers outnumber the semi-autos guess
it makes me a revolver nutter.

Altho my next handgun will be a semi-auto in a smaller
package/platform for carry.

R-

chicharrones
January 22, 2014, 03:20 PM
I can't say I'm a revolver fanatic, but about half my handguns are revolvers. I do appreciate a well made and good shooting revolver as much as any well made and good shooting firearm.

deputy tom
January 22, 2014, 08:53 PM
Over 60 and cut my teeth on J-frames. Still carry one today. tom. :cool:

BSA1
January 22, 2014, 09:03 PM
Use of revolvers as a primary carry gun by LEO's are long gone.

But how someone can look at all of models, calibers, and options available today and say the age and widespread popularity of the revolver is over is blind.

BSA1
January 22, 2014, 09:05 PM
HexHead,

You are indeed a man of excellent taste. I picked up a '70's model PPS 38 Special this weekend also.

RetiredUSNChief
January 22, 2014, 09:45 PM
I'll participate in your poll if you can answer a question for me:

I don't currently own any revolvers (3 pistols). However, I've been in love with the Colt SAA for decades now, ever since I was a little boy growing up watching westerns. I hope to get one this year, 200 years after the birth of Samuel Colt.

Does that love make me a fanatic?

;)

LeontheProfessional
January 22, 2014, 09:54 PM
I'm 27 and own, ARs, AKs, and Glocks but I love my revolvers

TanklessPro
January 22, 2014, 10:57 PM
I'll participate in your poll if you can answer a question for me:

I don't currently own any revolvers (3 pistols). However, I've been in love with the Colt SAA for decades now, ever since I was a little boy growing up watching westerns. I hope to get one this year, 200 years after the birth of Samuel Colt.

Does that love make me a fanatic?

;)
Fanatic is for you to answer. It's your call to say if you were a fanatic. If you found this in the revolver section then your half way there.:D

I would say to be careful when you purchase your first revolver because you do not need two for them to multiply. :p

RetiredUSNChief
January 23, 2014, 09:08 AM
Fanatic is for you to answer. It's your call to say if you were a fanatic. If you found this in the revolver section then your half way there.:D

I would say to be careful when you purchase your first revolver because you do not need two for them to multiply. :p

Heh!

Just wait until my baby shows up...I fully intend to post pics and see if I can stir the pot by actually shooting the bejeebers out of it, thus rapidly and radically lowering the collector's value of it! And when people hear about what the gun actually cost me...oh, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth!

:neener:

Jim PHL
January 23, 2014, 09:26 AM
I'm 50. Actually own more auto's than revolvers but if I had to choose one or the other I'd choose revolvers.

I can only vote once but if you want to mess with the bell curve a little add a vote for my 21 y.o daughter. It still surprises me a little that a 21 y.o. picked a steel wheel gun as her favorite out of all the guns I own. (Surprises and depresses me because I'm going to have to give it to her soon!)

RetiredUSNChief
January 23, 2014, 09:34 AM
Ah, the obligations of being a parent!

I'm having to think about that very thing with my kids, ages 15, 14, and 12.

The only thing that keeps me from giving them their "own" rifle at their current ages is the hot-tempered, strong-willed 14 year old daughter, known as "Daddy's Little Troublemaker".

Until she grows out of that phase and shows a consistent level of stable maturity, getting her "own" gun ain't gonna happen. Which kinda puts the kibosh on the other two as well, if only because I don't want to have to deal with the "unfairness" of it all.

They can all shoot Mommy and Daddy's guns all they want under our supervision until then.

:)

hAkron
January 23, 2014, 09:53 AM
I have a pretty good sized gun collection. About half of my hand guns are revolvers. It started innocently enough. I had my eye on a GP-100, bought it and lived it. Found a Security Six for a good price. The middle of 2012 is where the problem stated. I found a 686-4 and then I was off to the races. Smith & Wesson, Dan Wesson, Ruger, Rossi (Interarms era), Colt...it doesn't matter to me, I just need my fix. I'm a guy who appreciates complicated small scale intricate machinery, and a revolver has that in spades. I'm 37 by the way.

The Bushmaster
January 23, 2014, 10:50 AM
At 71 I own both revolvers and semi-autos. I enjoy handloading and shooting both. I CCW a Kimber UCC II and a S&W Mod 19.

wally247
January 23, 2014, 12:35 PM
I'm 25 and have an equal amount of plastic and revolvers. I prefer my revolvers though. I may be a bit biased though, I do have a horse and like to play cowboy.

kvtcomdo
January 24, 2014, 12:52 AM
Revolvers are the bomb.

BTW, I'm 60.

Fiv3r
January 24, 2014, 09:02 AM
I have carried semis most of the time, but revolvers are my love. A snubbie Ruger stoked with soft points makes for good medicine.
My favorite gun in my collection is a Ruger New Vaquero in .357. I have no NEED for a single action .357...but it shoots so nice and looks good doing it. I know the technology is "outdated" for defense, but a couple pounds of gleaming stainless slung low on my hip still inspires confidence.

Oh and nearly 33.

Green Lantern
January 24, 2014, 09:16 AM
"Fanatic" may be a bit strong of a term for me, but I do like em a lot, and one is my primary CCW. Age 32.

Drail
January 24, 2014, 09:49 AM
Revolvers have always been my first choice for carry weapons. Even after spending 8 years building competition 1911s and competing with them I still would choose a revolver over a semi auto any day. I know exactly how many things can stop a semi auto from functioning and I watched several factory sponsored shooters (whose names you would recognize) have their guns stop running in the middle of a big money match. These were guns that were carefully built and tuned for 100% reliability with no expense spared. The look of total disbelief on their faces made an impression on me. I still own a bunch of very nice 1911s but I still strap on a revo when I leave the house. Yes, I realize that revos can fail also but I have seen far less failures with revos than semi autos.

Cocked & Locked
January 24, 2014, 11:34 AM
Today....

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6486409/407327454.jpg

Steve51
January 24, 2014, 02:30 PM
I am 62 but have always favored a revolver (just feel they are safer). I have single action and double action revolvers but almost always shoot single action. I hate chasing and losing brass. My son is big into the 1911 style pistols but he is starting to complain some about chasing and losing brass. He may come around to my way of thinking in a few more years!

PJSprog
January 24, 2014, 03:35 PM
47, and I just like them better than autos. Always have. We can chase the reasons from here to eternity, but in the end it boils down to personal preference. The first firearm I ever bought for myself (when I turned 21) was a 686, and that was no coincidence. I had done a lot of research ahead of time, and found the gun I wanted. It remains my favorite to this day.

sixgunner455
January 24, 2014, 04:21 PM
2 to 1 in favor of revolvers, but I don't have nearly as many as some of you guys - 1 jframe, 2 Kframe, 1 Ruger single six. And a 9mm and a .22LR semiauto.

I'll shoot 'em all.

km101
January 24, 2014, 05:09 PM
When I started in LE back in the very early 70's revolvers were the weapon of choice as duty weapons. You seldom saw a semi-auto around the station, and if you did, it was a plain clothes officer or someone's off-duty gun. So I started with a S&W model 19 4". I liked it then and I still own it. It's my favorite gun. In the years since there has been a complete reversal of this scenario. Now you seldom see an officer (on duty or otherwise) carrying a revolver. I'm not sure if they are looking for capacity, or if it's just the cool thing to do, but now everyone carries a semi-auto.

I have owned and still own, my share of 1911's, Browning HP's, Springfield XD's and various other autos, but my first love and still my favorite is the revolver. It just feels right to me.

Buckeye71
January 24, 2014, 05:45 PM
74 and no revolvers. But I did shoot my dad's 38 once. And I rented a 38 revolver at the range once, because it had a laser sight on it and I wanted to try out the laser. But recently I have been seriously thinking about a revolver for my wife.

bill.l.johnson
January 24, 2014, 11:22 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/billj47/DSCF0456.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/billj47/DSCF0463.jpg

TennJed
January 24, 2014, 11:58 PM
74 and no revolvers. But I did shoot my dad's 38 once. And I rented a 38 revolver at the range once, because it had a laser sight on it and I wanted to try out the laser. But recently I have been seriously thinking about a revolver for my wife.

my sympathies

JudgeHolden10
January 25, 2014, 10:42 AM
I am 27, the owner of two revolvers and a steel 1911. I really like revolver cartridges. And not chasing brass, as others have mentioned, is a great bonus.

Dframe
January 25, 2014, 11:44 AM
I made no conscious deceision to go to revolvers. It seems to be an evolutionary thing. One day I realised I had gradually sold off most of the autos and over a long time had replaced them with revolvers. I still have autos, just not very many.

Telekinesis
January 25, 2014, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure I'd call myself a fanatic since I'm more into suppressed autos (kida hard to suppress most revolvers, and I can't find a Nagant...) but I have a 19-6 4" that is an absolute joy to shoot. Recoil isn't too bad even with full power .357 reloads, it has excellent accuracy and probably the best factory trigger I've felt on a gun that didn't cost a couple grand. I was also planning on picking up one of those surplus model 10s that were around a year or two ago, but never got around to it before they were all gone.

BTW I'm in my mid 20s.

RugRev
January 25, 2014, 02:41 PM
Something about revolvers that is more intriguing to me. Aside from that hate chasing and loosing the brass. Do a lot of shooting at indoor ranges and lot of brass from the autos rolls off and forward of the firing line so becomes theirs. Back when component prices were cheaper did not mind as much as now. AND, some of the autoloaders with polygonal bores like jacketed bullets which also ups the cost.

Desertrat357
January 25, 2014, 02:56 PM
I'm only 25, but have always prefered a revolver, be it carrying one while out in the sticks or just for some serious rangetime. Wheel guns are the way to go! My first official revolver was given to me by my parents as a high school graduation gift. A Ruger Blackhawk in 357 Magnum

captain awesome
January 25, 2014, 04:19 PM
I like revolvers. I love revolvers actually. The bigger the better Imo. Generally speaking however I think that is what is happening. The younger generation tends to prefer semis. There are many exceptions to that rule though, as some have stated and myself included in that group. There is a nitch or two that revolvers can fill that semis dont. I reload, I like the flexibility of loads revolvers can have, I like how small and lightweight a platform you can pack some serious firepower into. I am 28, I have 1 friend that appreciates revolvers almost as much as I do, and several that are primarily semi auto guys. I have 3 times as may revolvers as semi autos, and twice as many 1911s as other semi autos and no plastic ones.

DAdams
January 26, 2014, 01:08 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/PA300026-1.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Handguns/PA300026-1.jpg.html)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/P1010004-1.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Handguns/P1010004-1.jpg.html)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/PA300001.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Handguns/PA300001.jpg.html)

Legionnaire
January 26, 2014, 04:31 PM
Mid 50s, and I own more revolvers than semi-autos. The semis have the edge for concealed carry, although I also carry a revolver on occasion. But the revolvers are my woods/field/hunting/range preference. I really enjoy reloading for .38/.357, .44 spl/mag, and .45 Colt. Easy to load everything from powder-puff target loads to full-house magnums for hunting. Not having to chase the brass is a bonus.

mj246
January 26, 2014, 04:38 PM
I'm 26 now and have still never owned a semi-auto handgun. I have had a couple of semi-auto rifles and will eventually get a semi-auto handgun just to have one, but they don't thrill me the way revolvers do. I know I'm part of a minority for the vast majority of people I know, whether they are closer to 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 or higher. Most of my few other gun-nut friends just don't have the same love for revolvers that I do. They always catch my eye before any other pistol.

To me it's no longer a thing purely of age but just that revolver lovers are a minority in the gun world now, just like those that prefer a nice blued rifle with wood furniture over a stainless/composite or black tactical rifle.

osteodoc08
January 26, 2014, 04:47 PM
I'm 32 but much prefer revolvers for recreational shooting. As a reloader, I hate tracking down brass.

For CCW and HD, I prefer autos.

I enjoy blasting away with my AR, but find target shooting with a bolt action more enjoyable. Plinking I prefer pistol caliber carbine lever actions.

engineer88
January 27, 2014, 12:27 AM
My experience matches Dframes. I started out having nothing but auto and over the years some of them started getting traded for revolvers and I have bought nothing but revolvers in the last few years. Now out of my handguns fully 2/3rds are revolver.

For carry I tend to prefer revolvers, a jframe in the pocket and either an SP101 or Glock 36 on the hip. I do have a CM9CT that occasionally sees carry but I suspect that when I pick up my 642CT that it will see almost no time in the rotation with the 638CT I carry every day now.

I never made a choice to switch, it just felt right. I occasionally jump on the high capacity bandwagon when going to a bad side of town, I find myself wearing the Glock 19 that is usually relegated to HD duty, but those days are few and far between.

I do understand LEO wanting to have the high capacity as they may often be in the line of firewithout a rifle. In such cases I would opt for the higher capacity as well.

Funny thing is, I shoot my 2" DAO SP101 as good or better than my 4" automatics. Maybe it is just all in my head. The SP101 has had a trigger job but it is still heavier than my automatics, go figure.

P. S. I am 37

Mick_W
January 27, 2014, 12:35 AM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z1/mikku00/100_0745.jpg (http://s191.photobucket.com/user/mikku00/media/100_0745.jpg.html)

I'm 30 now, but I got addicted to revolvers when I purchased my 629-1 when I was 24.

Bobson
January 27, 2014, 01:18 AM
I'm 28 and like revolvers, but don't own any yet; and it will be a good while before I do, just because there are many other firearm priorities ahead.

squarepants33889
January 27, 2014, 01:21 PM
33 and just bought my first!
S&W 686 6" .357 Magnum
It feels amazing in the hand. I know it might sound a little immature, but just holding it evokes memories of all the childhood games of cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, and all the great "adventuring" of days gone by.
The weight alone brings a measure of power with it when pointing it downrange.
I can't believe how giddy I am about it. My wife has told me, "enough already with the gun sh1t!"

Legionnaire
January 27, 2014, 09:35 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127831&d=1284844541

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53396&d=1171590077

lowercase
January 28, 2014, 02:54 AM
Today....

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6486409/407327454.jpg
C&L

Those are some nice-looking Herretts on your wheelie.

I recently bought a NOS set for Charter (very similar design), but haven't put them on anything just yet.

eastbank
January 28, 2014, 08:52 AM
this is the lastest revolver i bought, it,s a S&W pre-17 K .22 made in 1950 that has been used but not abused. it joins a stable of 21 revolvers and pistols. eastbank

SC Shooter
January 28, 2014, 09:44 AM
Of the handguns I own, I have a mix of revolveers & semi-autos. I am more interested in the fit for purpose as opposed to any generic preference. I have never understood the concept of all one or all the other.

Hondo 60
January 28, 2014, 12:50 PM
Well, I'm in the 50-59 category, and definitely a "Revolver Fanatic"
I wish I could've selected more than one age group.

I think anyone in their 50s on up grew up with the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Gunsmoke, John Wayne etc, etc.

My first handgun was a snub-nosed .38 Spl (I call it my Dick Tracy gun)
And yes, I do have a couple of SAAs

forindooruseonly
January 29, 2014, 12:28 AM
I'm in the 30s category.

I was fortunate to be exposed to all sorts of firearms growing up and learned to appreciate a revolver from a young age. Funny enough, I never really got into the cowboy thing till later. I preferred the service revolvers, even though I watched westerns as a kid.

7mmb
January 29, 2014, 12:55 AM
I voted my current age. The age when I bought my first revolver was 26 though. I probably became a fanatic when I was five and got a cowboy outfit for Christmas and wore it to school everyday, with the brace of cap guns that came with it. Try doing that nowadays...

CoalTrain49
January 29, 2014, 12:57 AM
I just hit retirement age. I've sold most of my pistols but I still have a few revolvers to play with. A revolver was the first gun I ever bought and probably be the last to be sold. Revolvers are 19th century, they might as well be flintlocks, but that's what some of us grew up with and we still cling to what we know.

eastbank
January 29, 2014, 09:03 AM
if you want bone crushing power a revolver will provide it as few auto loaders can.and a revolver can be loaded up and down and still fuction,while a auto loader can,t and is stuck in a certain pressure curve. both offer different things to different uses. and i like and use both. eastbank.

788Ham
January 29, 2014, 02:01 PM
I'm 64. I've always had a penchant for revolvers since I was very young. I have several that I thought I'd never own: a Python, S&W 38-44, S&W 15-4 Combat Masterpiece, Colt Cobra. I have one semi, BuckMark .22. Just like the feel of a revolver in my hands better than any semi's I've ever owned, I shoot revolvers better also.

Trap4570
January 29, 2014, 05:16 PM
At 61 I don't feel much like looking for ejected brass anymore. At my own range I can set up a tarp to catch the brass, but I usually wind up sighting for others anyways.

Hondo 60
January 30, 2014, 12:03 AM
I don't feel much like looking for ejected brass anymore.

^^^^Yup^^^^^

Too often, I can't find it.

torqem
January 30, 2014, 12:07 AM
When done shooting, just raise the corners, get all the brass centered on the tarp, gather it up and dump the brass into a bucket. DA revolvers are a smaller percentage of handgun sales every year, with good reason. I haven't bothered to own a revolver in 30 years.

heycods
January 30, 2014, 12:43 AM
65 here, I have a mix, more revolvers than simi , love them all but as someone said, I reload and hate looking for brass. I shoot revolvers more.

Ram48
January 30, 2014, 09:33 PM
at 65and having a bad back I agree with the brass issue lol. I have returned to my first love (Revolvers. I have three S&W a 19-3, 4 inch I bought new in the 70's, a 28-2, 6 inch I found a couple of months ago and I just today paid for a k38 14 Masterpiece 8 3/8 barrel from 1959 in great shape from a collection listed on here. I plan on shooting that as I do my other two, I have semi autos in .22lr, and 45auto (xds and 1911) but carry a ruger LCR daily.

redneck383
January 31, 2014, 01:36 AM
I'm 26 for a little while longer (girlfriend keeps reminding me these days are numbered) and my ownership doesn't really reflect my appreciation of revolvers. I own more rifles than handguns, and more semis than wheelguns. But I can say that if it comes down to only keeping one gun, my GP-100 ain't going ANYwhere. It's also my nightstand gun. When my checking account stops making me hyperventilate I'll be adding a Ruger Blackhawk and SP-101, and hopefully a S&W 29 some day.

Texan Scott
January 31, 2014, 02:51 AM
Might I suggest that the curve plotted by the data garnered in your survey is not statistically indicative of anything unless compared to age distribution of THR members in general?

housecat
January 31, 2014, 08:48 PM
I'm 61. While I own more semi-autos than revolvers, I shoot the revolvers a disproportionately amount.

TanklessPro
February 1, 2014, 10:12 AM
Might I suggest that the curve plotted by the data garnered in your survey is not statistically indicative of anything unless compared to age distribution of THR members in general?
I would agree. I'm not sure the age of most on THR. It's the best cross section I can pull from another area than my own.

TRX
February 8, 2014, 07:01 PM
.44 AMP, .45 Win Mag, and .50AE are nice cartridges. But if you want MORE POWER, ya gotta go wheelgun...

tomrkba
February 8, 2014, 07:19 PM
Now I have to switch out my Glock 19 for my Ruger GP100 for carry today.

WestKentucky
February 8, 2014, 10:02 PM
29, revolver freak. Only auto I own is a plinker, but I rely heavily on my wheel guns for defense, hunting, and target shooting. The revolvers almost have a personality where the autos just seem to go bang a whole bunch...plus john Wayne and Dirty Harry used wheel guns..what more of a reason does a guy need?

Cocked & Locked
February 8, 2014, 10:21 PM
29, revolver freak. Only auto I own is a plinker, but I rely heavily on my wheel guns for defense, hunting, and target shooting. The revolvers almost have a personality where the autos just seem to go bang a whole bunch...plus john Wayne and Dirty Harry used wheel guns..what more of a reason does a guy need?

Reason enough right there...no other reasons needed. :cool:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6259637/408665052.jpg

ghitch75
February 8, 2014, 11:58 PM
age 49 for me....i like them....there are 6 others not in the pic....

http://i48.tinypic.com/2mg0bjp.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Age of Revolver Fanatics?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!