Colt 1911 with Coversion to a long gun

PDA

Firechase
January 20, 2014, 04:25 PM
Anyone out there know anything about a Colt 1911 that converts to a long gun, it also has a 30 rnd mag. If so what kind of value? Serial # C 123xxx, only thing I can figure out is that it's a 1915 build. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1911 with Coversion to a long gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chris in va
January 20, 2014, 04:29 PM
I only know one thing.

Until last year, the MechTech upper for 1911 and Glock frames was legal, provided you didn't revert it back to a pistol. The BATFE has since amended that so it's legal to make it a pistol again.

I don't know about adding a shoulder stock to an existing pistol though, others can verify.

Firechase
January 20, 2014, 04:47 PM
Everything is in a wood case with designated slots and appears to be original and in great condition.

gunsablazin
January 20, 2014, 04:51 PM
CTD offered a carbine conversion for the 1911 for a while, years ago. The way I understand it is a pistol can have whatever length barrel you want, but if you put a stock on it it has to have a 16" barrel minimum. I could be wrong, I have never played with a toy like that. :)

Dr.Rob
January 20, 2014, 06:54 PM
The 16 inch barrel and long magazine was an experiment in making a "downed airman's" weapon. Numrich sold a few leftovers in Shotgun News. I don't think it was ever fielded by US forces as such.

The eagles on the stock, presentation case and full nickel suggest it was for the Mexican market.

You may NOT put the stock on with the short barrel unless it has an ATF C&R exemption.

Steel Horse Rider
January 20, 2014, 09:33 PM
This thread is an excellent example of why gun laws are too intrusive. As Hillary said, "At this point what difference does it make?" I see nothing that should make the boxed weapon a larger threat to the public than my M-1 Carbine or my Ruger Security Six...

Ohen Cepel
January 20, 2014, 09:45 PM
Is it in .45? If it was made for export it may be in .38 Super or a "non military" caliber which some countries require.

No idea of value, I would leave that to a Colt collectible guy. Condition will be key of course. Somethings stored in a case like that look great on top but are bad on the side in the case due to moisture and the case materials damaging the finish. Also, would need to know it it's complete, looks to be but I'm not a pro on them.

Firechase
January 20, 2014, 10:47 PM
It is a .45, the owner is in his 60's and it was passed down by his father who which was a wood worker, he carved the stock and made the additional wooden grips. It doesn't leave the safe and is in excellent condition on both sides. It has the C at beginning of serial # telling me it was built for Commercial, not military use. It is a very niece set up that I may have the opportunity to buy, but have no clue where to start as to the value....

Ohen Cepel
January 21, 2014, 07:58 AM
His father carving the stock won't help it's resale value.

I would see where the seller is at, sometimes they are simply too high for me to even think about it and I won't take the time to research an item ie; he says he wants $25k for the package, out of my league so I go on.

Quick look on the web didn't give me any help either. Again, I would see where he is before I took a lot of time to figure out what it is and it's value.

Let us know how it turns out. Does look like a very nice set.

Steel Horse Rider
January 21, 2014, 09:45 AM
In situations similar to this I try to determine what it is worth to me. Items that hold value to an owner due to heirloom qualities do not hold the same value when removed from the family and the owner should acknowledge that in his value determination. I would start with a basic value of the weapon and figure an add on for each accessory. The box will not add a lot of real value although it probably adds some salability to the package. But, the bottom line is what is this worth to you? A grand, ten grand, or twenty grand? Not to me but then I am not a collector of old 1911's.

4v50 Gary
January 21, 2014, 10:41 AM
I remember those stocks and barrels being marketed by Numb-Nuts (Numrich) in the '80s. Our 1911 instructor (Bob Dunlap) warned us that they were not reliable. There is simply too much barrel mass to be unlocked by the action. Today there is the Korth 1911 which uses a HK P-9 delayed blowback action. Since it has a fixed barrel, it would be ideal for a long barrel 1911.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1911 with Coversion to a long gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!