The most reliable, durable, long lasting 22lr auto pistol?

PDA

fragout
January 21, 2014, 11:49 AM
I'm interested in opinions on what type of 22lr auto pistol is the most reliable, long lasting, and durable of the bunch?

anyone here have rd counts concerning the type they feel is the most reliable?

What about suppressed pistols chambered in 22lr?

I was thinkin along the lines of a Ruger in stainless steel, but am interested in other ideas.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "The most reliable, durable, long lasting 22lr auto pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Milkmaster
January 21, 2014, 12:41 PM
I was thinkin along the lines of a Ruger in stainless steel, but am interested in other ideas.

The Ruger Mark series pistols make an excellent choice for .22 supressed pistols IMO. Some of them even come with the barrel already threaded.

Sam1911
January 21, 2014, 12:45 PM
Hard to beat the Rugers for robustness, and not real easy to beat them for accuracy either.

I can't really picture how you'd ever wear one out...

LeontheProfessional
January 21, 2014, 12:48 PM
Ruger or Browning. For me it would be the browning due to a slightly better trigger.

weblance
January 21, 2014, 12:53 PM
There are reports of the Ruger Mark pistols going literally hundreds of thousands of rounds before any mechanical failures. They make great range rental pistols because they last almost forever. IF there is a better pistol for durability, then the Ruger isnt far behind. There isnt a factory threaded stainless Mark available, so if you want stainless, and threaded, you will have to send the barrel/receiver to a machinist for threading.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/IMG_0202Small_zpsfe76fcd0.jpg

wow6599
January 21, 2014, 01:38 PM
Another vote for the Ruger MK line.

ATLDave
January 21, 2014, 01:50 PM
I can't imagine there's any difference on those criteria between the Rugers and the Browning Buckmark.

As for reliability, rimfire ammo is always going to be the weak link.

Tinker
January 21, 2014, 02:46 PM
Phoenix HP22:evil:

Actually, mine ran beautifully on a diet of Thunderbolts up until about 5k rounds before the slide broke. They sent me a new one for free.

A friend of mine has had one of those Ruger MK forever (have no idea how many rounds) and it still runs like a sewing machine. Amazing little pistol.

hentown
January 21, 2014, 02:51 PM
Check out the Ruger Mark III 22/45s. I'm running one with a suppressor...love it.

I installed the complete VQ accurizing kit, but could probably have done with just the VQ target trigger and sear.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/Walteridus/IMG_20131019_134416_zps35f1d5b0.jpg (http://s107.photobucket.com/user/Walteridus/media/IMG_20131019_134416_zps35f1d5b0.jpg.html)

hardluk1
January 21, 2014, 03:38 PM
First series colts and rugers by far the best.

Average Joe
January 21, 2014, 04:41 PM
Ruger MK III

243winxb
January 21, 2014, 04:43 PM
Ruger

Schwing
January 21, 2014, 05:16 PM
The Walther P22 just can't be beat if you want a gun that will give you lots of opportunities to practice tap, rack, bang:fire: It also has a pot metal slide that is sure to last at least 500-1000 rounds.

Seriously though, the Ruger Mark series is about as tried and tested as you can get. The basic design has been around since the late 40's.

UpperAtmosphere
January 21, 2014, 05:27 PM
Go with the Ruger, you won't be sorry. I've got two of them, a Mark III and a Mark II. The Mark II is on vacation getting the full spa treatment and should be back towards the end of May.

The Mark III is the model currently in production, it has a few additional safety features that may or may not irritate you, but on the plus side it has the magazine release located up by the trigger instead of at the bottom of the grip.

Hanshi
January 21, 2014, 05:53 PM
I can't envision anything better than a Ruger .22LR pistol.

TennJed
January 21, 2014, 05:58 PM
Another Ruger (or Buckmark) vote

ColtPythonElite
January 21, 2014, 06:59 PM
Ruger MK. I believe it's bolt in receiver design is stronger, less problematic, and accounts for their great accuracy. Ruger replacement parts area also cheap, easy to get from Ruger, and simple to replace. I have 5 MK pistols. Up til the ammo crisis, I had been shooting 1k rounds or so monthly out a pair of 10 inchers....I will agree the Browning has a better trigger outta the box. However, I can get a great trigger pull out of a Ruger in no time. They are very simple guns.

Wishoot
January 21, 2014, 07:01 PM
Browning Buckmark or Ruger. Choose the one that fits you best.

oneounceload
January 21, 2014, 07:11 PM
I own a MKII, but I would also include the S&W model 41 in the list

ColtPythonElite
January 21, 2014, 07:20 PM
The 41 is beautiful and accurate at over twice the price. However, I have seen more than, one that was finicky about the ammo it's fed.

oneounceload
January 21, 2014, 07:56 PM
True, but then again, it is built with tight target quality tolerances

sigarms228
January 21, 2014, 08:28 PM
Hard to beat the steel frame Ruger.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv60/kk9zz/Mark1.jpg (http://s669.photobucket.com/user/kk9zz/media/Mark1.jpg.html)

snapshot762
January 21, 2014, 08:34 PM
Hard to beat the Rugers for robustness, and not real easy to beat them for accuracy either.

I can't really picture how you'd ever wear one out...
Took the words out of my mouth!

ColtPythonElite
January 21, 2014, 08:40 PM
The Ruger frame works well, but in all fairness it's just stamped sheet metal.

Ironman
January 21, 2014, 08:45 PM
CZ Kadet, beretta 87 or Ruger Mk3 22/45 threaded.

tuj
January 21, 2014, 09:00 PM
ok, most reliable, most accurate? Well look down the line at the Olympics rapid fire event and you'll see what? Pardini SP.

BTW, you can easily wear out the extractor edge on the Ruger MK-series resulting in stove-pipes. A hardened piece works much better.

Mastrogiacomo
January 21, 2014, 09:08 PM
How about a Ruger SR22? Okay it's not metal, but any gun you don't need a rubber mallet to take down and clean has a lot going for it.....

Laura

PO2Hammer
January 22, 2014, 02:48 AM
My Mark II has run like a swiss watch since I bought it over 10 years ago. Accuracy is very good to excellent with most quality ammo. Mine will cycle sub-sonics, hollowpoints, whatever. I don't feed it Stingers or other hyper V ammo. It may be just stamped sheet metal, but there's nothing in it's price range that compares.

The CZ Kadet is extremely robust and reliable and can handle the hottest ammo, but mine was not very accurate. Only a couple types of ammo shot OK for accuracy. I think of the Kadet as the AK47 of rimfire pistols.

Ash
January 22, 2014, 05:42 AM
I'm a big CZ fan, but in a 22 auto the Ruger Mk II is really hard to beat. Yeah, the frame is stamped steel, but that works just fine in older SIG slides and AK receivers (plus, the frame doesn't get any real movement as the bolt slides within the receiver). Mine once belonged to my Dad (I inherited it) and it still runs like a champ.

Pilot
January 22, 2014, 06:25 AM
The CZ Kadet is extremely robust and reliable and can handle the hottest ammo, but mine was not very accurate. Only a couple types of ammo shot OK for accuracy. I think of the Kadet as the AK47 of rimfire pistols.

My CZ Kadet Kit which practically lives on my 75B is just about as accurate as my Ruger Mk II Target model.

CajunBass
January 22, 2014, 07:33 AM
If you manage to wear out a Ruger (or most any other gun for that matter), you'll have done something worth bragging about.

hentown
January 22, 2014, 07:59 AM
ok, most reliable, most accurate? Well look down the line at the Olympics rapid fire event and you'll see what? Pardini SP.

BTW, you can easily wear out the extractor edge on the Ruger MK-series resulting in stove-pipes. A hardened piece works much better.

What's the most reliable, most accurate .22 that sells for under $400 that's used by Olympians? Such a firearm WOULD be germane to this thread. ;)

tuj
January 22, 2014, 08:17 AM
Well I have a Ruger MKIII with all VQ internals, 5.5" bull barrel. Love the gun, but after wearing out the extractor on a MKII and having stovepipes, fixed by changing to an Exact Edge extractor from VQ. Now I change the extractor to this piece in all MK-series I work on.

BTW, Pardini's can be had used a lot cheaper than you think. Same for Hammerli 208's, Benelli MP-90/95, and Walther GSP's.

The two weak links on the MK-series are the firing pin stop pin, which can bend if excessively dry-fired, and the extractor edge, which is often poorly machined and can round off.

bannockburn
January 22, 2014, 10:11 AM
I could easily nominate my Ruger Mk. II and my Beretta Model 70S as being two of the most reliable and durable .22 pistols I have owned.

Mastrogiacomo
January 22, 2014, 11:28 AM
For all of you recommending the Ruger Mark, how often do you clean those guns and how easy a time do you have taking it down and putting it together again?

ColtPythonElite
January 22, 2014, 12:28 PM
I don't clean mine til it gives me a few misfeeds, which usually takes 1k+ rounds to happen....They are very easy to field strip and reassemble once you understand how the gun works.

CraigC
January 22, 2014, 12:38 PM
Most good fixed barrel autos will last longer than most shooters will ever need. In new guns, Ruger and Browning are the obvious choices, pick which one you like best. I typically prefer Brownings but the Rugers I've had have been excellent. I just don't like the standard grip angle but the 22/45RP is about perfect.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_7748b.jpg

Been trying in vain to wear out this Buckmark Standard since 1989.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsii/large/Buckmark%205_%20-%20031b.jpg

Riomouse911
January 22, 2014, 01:11 PM
I bought an old used Ruger MkI for 100 bucks off GB that was so rusty and pitted I swear it looked like it had been lost in a flood. (Somehow the inside of the barrel was in great shape.) A quick bead-blasting, new grips/mags/screws off fleabay, 20 dollar Brownells matte grey bake on finish, all new springs inside, VIOLA! Shoots like a dream and is 100% reliable.

I can't say that too many other .22 handguns would stand up to what the old owner did to this one.

PWGUNNY
January 22, 2014, 02:08 PM
I have a Ruger Mk lll competition. I have never needed a rubber mallet to disassemble the gun. I clean this pistol every 600 rds. The first two times I took it apart it was difficult to get it back together. Once I figured out the method in now goes together in a couple of minutes.

PO2Hammer
January 22, 2014, 02:28 PM
For all of you recommending the Ruger Mark, how often do you clean those guns and how easy a time do you have taking it down and putting it together again?
My bore never leads, so I only have to clean the receiver every 3 or 4 range trips.

It took several times before I had the disassembly down, but now it's easy. I've even upgraded some internal parts and now I can detail strip it without much trouble. Once you 'figure them out', they are actually pretty easy to work on.

Plus you have the parts availability factor. Ruger Mark parts are widely available and are easy to install, contributing to the long term viability of the Marks.

oneounceload
January 22, 2014, 02:33 PM

I clean the barrel after every time shooting it. I have taken the bolt out once or twice in 20 years and have never completely disassembled the gun. It had an issue where it went full auto on me; Ruger fixed that and also said to NEVER use the slide stop as a slide release but to slingshot the slide to prevent damage. Other than that, it has worked just fine.

1911guy45
January 22, 2014, 02:39 PM
I am a big fan of the MKIII. The disassembly is not that bad after the first time. The 22/45 series are great suppressor hosts.

MrBorland
January 22, 2014, 03:00 PM

I just stripped my MkIII for a cleaning for the first time. It wasn't giving me any trouble, but I figured after about 10k rounds, a little action cleaning wouldn't hurt. I didn't touch the barrel, though I carefully cleaned the crown. It was tight, but do-able (with a rubber mallet), and some good youtube vids took me right though it.

I thought I'd try a little bullseye shooting this season, so I started practicing in November with my MkIII + UltraDot. Below is my best Slow Fire score so far - a 96-2x on a 10-shot 50 yard slow fire string with CCI SV. So, as far as balancing cost, versatility, durability and accuracy, the Ruger Mk series is tough to beat, IMO.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/12-31-1350yardSF_zps6b8a6722.jpg

anothernewb
January 22, 2014, 03:08 PM
My buckmark is over the 5k mark with no issues so far.

handloader357
January 22, 2014, 03:33 PM
My dad bought a Ruger in 1961 and to my knowledge it's still original, except for the match trigger upgrade he had done to it back in the 80's. He later got a bull barrel MkII when he got into competitive shooting.

Those were the 1st auto loaders I had ever shot. Damn fine pistols that have seen ALOT of use. As long as you clean them every now and then, they should last for generations.

ColtPythonElite
January 22, 2014, 03:41 PM
This one is a 1965 and still runs like new.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=135136&d=1296308000

SwampWolf
January 22, 2014, 04:14 PM
I don't clean mine (Ruger) til it gives me a few misfeeds, which usually takes 1k+ rounds to happen....

Same here. As to the op's questions, my vote goes to the Ruger and the Smith Model 41.

snooperman
January 22, 2014, 04:14 PM
I have 3 , S&W model 41, High Standard supermatic trophy, and Ruger MKll Government model with custom trigger. All are robust, very accurate and well made 22 target pistols.

huntsman
January 22, 2014, 04:36 PM
delete

Sistema1927
January 22, 2014, 06:48 PM
My Ruger Standard Model is still going strong since 1958.

TimboKhan
January 22, 2014, 06:59 PM
I don't have a round count on my mkII, but it's sufficient to sat that it is really, really high. I have shot the same miki for like 20 years now without firearms related issues. Ammo issues from time to time (to be expected), and one sticky aftermarket mag, but that's it.

Ammo meaning bad ammo, not a finicky gun. It's not finicky at all.

MedWheeler
January 22, 2014, 11:09 PM
Good thing this wasn't put to a poll. The ribbon for the Ruger selection would have run off the page!

Mine, a Mk-II purchased new in 1987, seems to follow the trend already established here by the other posters.

My FEG AP-22 is, like pretty much all the FEG all-steel pistols, pretty tough and robust as well, but I don't have the round count myself to back it up yet. I'm not the original owner (the gun was imported by InterArms in 1998.)

anothernewb
January 23, 2014, 09:50 AM
There's a shooter at my range that has a ruger MKII with over 150,000 through it. Sounds like a high number, but I see him there 3 times a week and he shoots at least 100 rounds a night. and he's been there forever.

If you enjoyed reading about "The most reliable, durable, long lasting 22lr auto pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!