Help me pick a 'better' handgun for my wife

PDA

ngnrd
January 22, 2014, 05:02 PM
I know... a lot of this is totally subjective, and I should have her shoot a bunch of different guns and pick what she prefers most. But, I'm looking for some opinions to help narrow the field a bit. And ladies... feel free to jump in!

Background:

My wife has owned a pistol for many years, but is just recently voicing an interest in shooting more than once or twice a year.
She really likes her Colt Mustang Plus-II (.380), but she is concerned that shooting it on a more frequent basis will lower its value (I told her that didn't really matter, but...).
She says her Bersa Thunder (.380) fits her hand pretty well, but the recoil is sharper than the Colt and she doesn't really enjoy shooting it because of that.
My Ruger P90 (.45) is way too big for her, but she says the recoil is much more pleasant, and if it were necessary to fend off an intruder, she says that's the one she would grab before any of the other handguns because it's got 'less' recoil, and is more powerful - even though she knows it's too big for her hands.

So... she likes her .380's because they're lightweight and compact (I think I heard her use the word 'cute'... but I'm gonna ignore that and substitute the word compact:rolleyes:), but much prefers the less snappy recoil of my larger, heavier .45.

And this is my conundrum... Which compact handgun, chambered in a cartridge that has more power and less recoil than a .380, would you recommend for a petite person?

I'm thinking of a compact .45, possibly the Bersa Thunder 45 UC PRO since she seems to like her other Bersa well enough, but I don't know what less weight (6.5 oz less than the P90) would do to the felt recoil of the .45.

Maybe a compact 9mm would be better? Or maybe even a .40? (How does the recoil with those cartridges compare relative to the .380 and 45?)

BTW - she's not exactly a fan of 'plastic' guns, so that takes a bunch of otherwise viable choices off the table...

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick a 'better' handgun for my wife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RedAlert
January 22, 2014, 05:31 PM
Perhaps the issue isn't caliber as much as "fit" of the firearm to the shooter. I suggest moving away from Plastic frame pistols and try one with all steel or alloy frame. I have a Sig P230 in all stainless and a P232 in alloy with a stainless slide. Both in .380.

Even in .380, there is a noticeable difference in felt recoil from one to the other. The alloy frame doesn't absorb the recoil as well as the all stainless P230. I don't have a plastic pistol in a similar size and caliber, but feel it would also have more felt recoil.

Then again, perhaps the grips are the answer. Hogue grips, which I put on all my EDC pistols do a great job of making recoil less of an issue regardless of caliber. A well fitting grip goes a long ways to making the shooting experience more fun.

I don't know if this is fact or not, but I believe the main recoil spring in a plastic pistol is heavier than that in an all metal pistol of the same frame size and caliber in order to absorb the recoil of the heavier slide. The heavier spring will make racking the slide that much more difficult.

Just my opinions.

Trunk Monkey
January 22, 2014, 05:33 PM
She might like to try a S&W 3913LS

AFDavis11
January 22, 2014, 05:35 PM
I would consider a 238. I think they are "compact". Recoil lightly. Lots of options though.

PJSprog
January 22, 2014, 05:43 PM
My wife shot her son's (my stepson's) S&W M&P .40 over the summer, and decided she liked it much better than any of our handguns (.22LR, .22WMR, .38/.357mag, .45ACP). I think that caliber is definitely a viable option for "fun-size" women.

Sol
January 22, 2014, 05:48 PM
Go to a range that rents a variety of handguns in an assortment of calibers...

Let your wife pick a gun for your wife...

Smile, grin and pay.

Problem solved.

orionengnr
January 22, 2014, 05:53 PM
www.corneredcat.com
Start here. You read it, then she reads it.
Then she picks something appropriate.

Done.

jim243
January 22, 2014, 05:58 PM
I'm thinking of a compact .45, possibly the Bersa Thunder 45 UC PRO since she seems to like her other Bersa well enough, but I don't know what less weight (6.5 oz less than the P90) would do to the felt recoil of the .45.

You answered your own question, they do come in 9 mm as well.

Jim

One on the left is the 45 Ultra Compact Pro, one on the right is the CZ 75 P-01 in 9 mm.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/SAM_1063.jpg (http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bigjim_02/media/SAM_1063.jpg.html)

Mastrogiacomo
January 22, 2014, 06:05 PM
I like the Glock 26 myself...very compact and I'm a small person too. Of course there's also nothing wrong with a Sig 239.....or a revolver for that matter.

Laura

B_Li_Ber_Tar_Ian
January 22, 2014, 06:46 PM

BYJO4
January 22, 2014, 08:13 PM
I think a 9MM will be in line recoil wise. As far as the make, I think it should be what fits her hand the best. Of course this will make it necessary for her to hold as many different models as possible. No matter what we suggest, only she can tell which fits her the best.

oneounceload
January 22, 2014, 09:03 PM
My wife likes both my G26 and my HK P7. She finds both easy to shoot, especially compared to her Beretta model 34 in .380, and a J frame 38.

SlowFuse
January 22, 2014, 10:43 PM
I second the Sig P239 idea. Available in 9mm, has a steel/alloy frame (heavier) which will reduce perceived recoil and is a single stack so the grip will be smaller than a lot of other semi-auto options.

340PD
January 23, 2014, 12:26 PM
SHE picks HER gun, YOU pay.

SHE gets lessons from HER instructor, YOU pay.

YOU buy HER ammo, YOU pay.

YOU BOTH go to the range and have fun together.

weblance
January 23, 2014, 01:44 PM
She likes you Ruger P90 and trusts it, and the 45acp. I know you said she doesnt want polymer, but that really excludes many excellent pistols. Consider finding a Ruger P345 for her to shoot. It has a much better grip, magazines interchange with your P90, and the recoil is soft.

Nick Burkhardt
January 23, 2014, 02:25 PM
The Bersa Thunder 380 has more felt recoil due to the blowback design. Check out the new Glock 42 for a slightly smaller 380 with a locked breach design for less recoil, or an S&W M&P Shield 9mm.

ArchAngelCD
January 23, 2014, 02:32 PM
SHE picks HER gun, YOU pay.

SHE gets lessons from HER instructor, YOU pay.

YOU buy HER ammo, YOU pay.

YOU BOTH go to the range and have fun together.
Sounds about perfect to me... :neener:

Hometeached1
January 23, 2014, 05:58 PM
Look at the SIG P239 or S&W 3913.

JERRY
January 23, 2014, 06:13 PM
glock came out with just what she is looking for.

Robert
January 23, 2014, 07:26 PM
Yup the Glock 42 might be just the thing for her. If she likes it.

Rusty Luck
January 23, 2014, 08:00 PM
My girlfriend is petite and has small but not tiny hands and she loves shooting her XDm 5.25 9mm. I mean she will literally burn through all the ammo in the 6 19rd magazines, loads them all up herself (except the last 2 rounds because they are too hard and I do it) and shoots it again until she burns though all the ammo we took with us to the ranch or range. She is quite comfortable with shooting it and consistently shoots the "pears" off the cactus on the ranch. Which is pretty good considering she just started shooting about 1.5 years ago. She uses the smallest grip back the XDm has.

cwl1862
January 23, 2014, 08:17 PM
Why not take her to your LGS or a Gun show and let her pick it out?? Maybe she'll let you get a new one too.....:D win-win!

Eb1
January 23, 2014, 08:50 PM
Why not wait for the Remington R51 to come out?

gazpacho
January 24, 2014, 01:23 AM
Kahr K9 with optional ported barrel. Recoil is low, trigger is nice and the grip is good for smaller hands.

Or . . .

1) Buy a reputable gun and let her shoot it.
2) If it doesn't suit her, place the gun in your safe, and repeat step 1. :evil:

Eventually, you will find the right handgun.

ngnrd
January 24, 2014, 02:33 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - even if most of them don't exactly fit the criteria.:rolleyes:

After the gun show this Sunday, we're going to go empty some ammo boxes and ponder our options... She told me to make sure there's plenty of ammo in the range bag for her AR, too.:evil:

Hmmm.... I wish I knew someone with an EMP that I could borrow...

chris in va
January 24, 2014, 05:03 AM
My GF wishes I hadn't sold my Glock 21sf. She loves 45.

Edster12
January 24, 2014, 06:01 AM
Not sure if it fits her criteria but give the Ruger SP101 a look. I know a few ladies that carry it. Plus you have the option of using 38 or 357.

Vodoun da Vinci
January 24, 2014, 06:58 AM
As some have already stated just show her options (do the research for her) and then let her choose. My Wife and I are still looking for her "Soul Mate" SD and carry pistol. She is good with some of mine but we have not found "perfect" yet. She has several guns she shoots well including an Officers ACP.

We have had to buy guns (like the EMP you wonder about) to be able to shoot them and give them a complete evaluation and last Summer purchased and sold almost a dozen pistols...the ones we wanted to try but could not borrow or rent. Not cheap but not all that expensive either.

If you buy at a good price and shoot it and decide it has no place in yer situation it can usually be moved/sold easily and all but a fraction of the initial price recovered for the next adventure.

Just a suggestion.

VooDoo

hartcreek
January 24, 2014, 09:15 AM
I think I would just churn out more ammo and try and get her shooting her CCW more. Maybe find a Ladies only course that she would like and encourage her to go and pay for it.

BLB68
January 24, 2014, 10:11 AM
She may want to look at the Walther PK380. Supposed to be a soft-shooter.

Other than that, I'd have her look into 9mms from any of the better makers. The S&W M&P line have adjustable backstraps (except the Shield, but it's got a pretty small, very slim, grip), the Ruger SR9s have a smaller grip, and some of the Walther 9mms have adjustable backstraps.

Is this for carry or for home use? If it's for home use, there's nothing wrong with a full size .45. It may not be so much the foot pounds of recoil as the sharpness that she doesn't like, so maybe a .45 with a decent heft and a grip that fits will be more pleasant to shoot than a small or medium 9mm.

keen one
January 24, 2014, 01:01 PM
From a happily married guy: Shoot everything that you can over a period of several weeks and...let her choose.

DammitBoy
January 24, 2014, 01:09 PM
My wife and my daughter kept stealing my Ruger SP101 until I bought them their own Rugers.

They both started out with 38+P ammo and worked up to 357 rounds. Both are small women with small hands.

BCRider
January 24, 2014, 01:26 PM
The things that you've found that she likes are so widely diverse and inconsistent from reading your posts that I suspect there is no real one direction you can go.

You may be looking for compact pistols only to find that when someone lets her try their full size 1911 in whatever caliber that she smiles and says "I like!".

I'd suggest that all you and her can do is go and shoot as wide a variety as you can find and see which direction she heads toward. And don't be surprised if it turns out that she goes in two or even three totally unrelated directions.

For range fun I would only echo that you let her give a few different revolvers a try. Including a single action. For range fun such guns are often the answer that makes a lot of us smile.

Of course if she heads off in that direction then you'll have to accessorize it with a nice belt and holster for woods walking.... :D

Part of the "problem" is that SD or HD guns are not always the ones we LIKE to shoot at the range. For fun times it's not always about having the most effective tool for the job.

AABEN
January 24, 2014, 01:32 PM
Let her try a 40. I think she will like a 40.Try to find some one that has a 40 that will let your wife try it out. I have stop shooting my 9mm and went to 40 less felt jump at the muzzle. They seem to be a bit more accurate. GOOD LUCK

eldon519
January 24, 2014, 01:37 PM
Could just buy another Colt Mustang just for her. They still make them.

browningguy
January 24, 2014, 01:48 PM
My wife loves her Walther PK380, very soft shooting and she says the most comfortable grip she has ever had in her hand.

hentown
January 25, 2014, 08:55 AM
It's not that "a lot of this is completely subject," it's that all of this is completely subjective. You're going to get eleventy-zillion different recommendations. How will you know more when this thread finally dies than you did in your first post? :evil:

celem
January 25, 2014, 09:20 AM
Read about the lack of recoil, etc. with the new Remington R51.
Similar to PPK in size.

Coyote3855
January 25, 2014, 09:30 AM
My wife likes her Kahr P9.

eldon519
January 25, 2014, 11:53 AM
The Remington R51 is a pretty big gun. Bigger than the internet would have had us believe at announcement.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/17/the-remington-r51-is-bigger-than-you-think/

Jaymo
January 25, 2014, 12:58 PM
My wife loves my Ruger SR9, and wants an SR9C.
It's slimmer than a Glock 19.
It's low bore centerline translates into less felt recoil and muzzle flip.
I haven't been able to make my SR9 choke.
It's boringly reliable, and the trigger is better than a Glock trigger.

ngnrd
January 25, 2014, 01:03 PM
It's not that "a lot of this is completely subject," it's that all of this is completely subjective. You're going to get eleventy-zillion different recommendations. How will you know more when this thread finally dies than you did in your first post? :evil:

Well, like my original post said, I was hoping for suggestions for non-plastic, compact pistols with less recoil and more power than a .380. I really don't know what's available, and was hoping to narrow my research a bit. And - if I did get eleventy-zillion recommendations that actually met the selection criteria, I'd be ecstatic.

Instead, I mostly got recommendations for plastic-framed pistols and other 380's, to go along with unrelated advice about how she should just shoot a bunch and pick out what she wants - which I already addressed (see the first line of my original post). Maybe I should have skipped all the background and just asked a simpler question - my fault.

But, so far, we're not even close to eleven recommendations, let alone eleventy-zillion, that actually fit the criteria. And although most of these weren't actually 'recommended', that's OK. Just knowing about them still gives me options to look at.

S&W 3913LS: Out of production
Sig P239: Viable, but no recommendation regarding which of the three available cartridges would be better: 9mm, 40S&W, or 357SIG
J-frame revolver in 38: Actually, downplayed as not as desirable as other listed handguns
HK P7: Out of production
Remington R51: Not yet released
Kahr K9: Led me to other Kahr products, like the MK9, K40, etc.
Ruger SP101

Additionally - although I know I didn't mention it - I'd prefer to buy new instead of used. It's not critical, but it is preferred. Also not mentioned, she definitely prefers auto loaders over revolvers.

So, of what's been listed so far, the Sig P239 and various Kahr offerings (and maybe the Remington R51) have gotten my attention (I don't know that I would have ever even looked at the Kahr's - they just weren't on my radar), as well as the Bersa and the EMP that I was already looking at. And while we're looking, I'll keep my eye out for a used 3913, or HK P7 to check out.

And seriously - thanks for all the suggestions so far guys (even the ones that don't exactly meet our criteria - they keep the thread active :D ).

eldon519
January 25, 2014, 01:20 PM
CZ RAMI, SIG P239, Stoeger Cougar.

If you are wanting more power and less recoil than .380, I don't think you need to look much past 9mm.

Limiting yourself to new will be tough though as the type of gun you are looking for (metal frame compacts) is past its heyday. Either that are consider polymers which are currently blossoming in the compact/pocket pistol market.

Jaymo
January 25, 2014, 03:27 PM
The Cougar has a grip circumference about equal to a 92, correct?
That is a problem for people with smaller hands.
The vast majority of women have smaller hands with a lot less hand strength than men.
His lady needs a gun that fits her hand.
She needs one that she enjoys shooting and can shoot accurately, quickly, and reliably.

Methinks he and his lady have a great excuse to go fondle a bunch of different pistols, and shoot them, if possible.

The grip circumference of a 92 is too much for most women I've met.
The DA trigger reach is too long, too.
Remember, Beretta designed that pistol for Bill Jordan or Sasquatch, not for mere mortals.

Schwarf
January 25, 2014, 03:35 PM
I had "picked out" an M&P 9 for my wife. She checked a few out and went home with a Beretta 92a1.

I'd have her check out all the guns in the store. If she prefers an all metal frame, recoil should be fine whichever she chooses.

That being said, if she likes 45 and metal frames, a 1911 comes to mind.

SlowFuse
January 25, 2014, 06:20 PM
On the P239, as you listed as a viable option... I would go 9mm. You lose capacity with the 40 and 357sig, and considering its a single stack the 9mm makes more sense to me considering you're requirements. It's 8 plus one btw in this configuration.

As a plus, my specific example of this firearm is scary accurate with handloads, more so than expected from a compact carry.

gazpacho
January 25, 2014, 09:59 PM
I was very specific in my K9 recommendation. The steel frame eats up a lot of recoil. The polymer P9 is good, but recoil is higher and the grip checkering can hurt the fingers a bit with a lot of shooting. The micro Kahrs work very well, but are not fun at all to shoot.

If you order from Kahr their extended and ported barrel, it will soften the recoil even more. As such, it is a very soft shooter.

The 40s will have higher recoil.

I have no experience with the 45s.

JDR
January 25, 2014, 10:34 PM
I think the Stoeger Cougar is a great gun for the money; it comes in 9mm, 40 S&W, & .45 ACP. My friend paid $349.00 for a new 9mm a few years back.

DerRottweiler
January 25, 2014, 11:19 PM
I would recommend the Sig P239 in 9mm or a Sig P938 which is a single action auto like her Colt.

Havok7416
January 26, 2014, 02:22 AM
I know you mentioned the EMP, but have you taken a look at the Colt Defender or New Agent? They are offered in both 9mm and .45. My mom surprised me the last time she was out shooting when she said she liked my Defender because it doesn't "jump" as much. She has a wrist problem which is why the statement surprised me.

Odd Job
January 26, 2014, 03:34 AM
Let her try a SIG P238: I have fired that with three women at the range and they all handled the gun without trouble and could make good hits with Blazer ammunition.

BCRider
January 26, 2014, 05:00 AM
OK, hard suggestions. These come from the days when I was helping out as an RO on the always busy "Lady's Night" Fridays at the local rental range.

Top center fire guns in 9mm for the smaller ladies were the Ruger SR9, STI Trojan 1911 and the CZ Shadow. The primary reason these were more popular is the way that the guns fit the smaller ladies' hands well.

We also had a Lady Smith S&W that was nice and compact for a great fit for smaller hands. But the DAO trigger was so hard to pull that the gun was all but unshootable for the first timers. And the regulars didn't much care for it either.

A lot of them also really liked the K frame Model 10 revolver because it was polite enough to not throw hot brass down the front of their shirt. The last was not an uncommon occurrence since the range was a popular place to go before hitting the local clubs for some dancin' and drinkin'.

Shooting .38Spl from the Model 10 also found favour with the more recoil shy of the ladies. The ammo simply seemed to have a softer "thump" to the hand than the "SNAP" from the 9mm pistols.

You said she liked your 1911. So that seems like a great fit for her to shoot a gun she already likes but in the smaller caliber.

Of the lot the Shadow was found by the often recoil shy ladies to be their favourite due to the weight of the gun and having much of the extra forward in the dust cover and rail area to aid in soaking up recoil. And it's very true that the Shadow is one of, if not THE softest recoiling 9mm out there. It's not a compact gun though. But then neither is a 1911.

bannockburn
January 26, 2014, 05:46 PM
The wife of a friend of mine was looking for something for concealed carry as her work took her into some less than friendly neighborhoods. She wasn't really comfortable with how semi-autos operated but felt fine using a .38 Special revolver. Found her a S&W Model 638 with a 2.5" barrel. Started her out with mild wadcutter loads and gradually worked her up to 125 gr. +P Remington Golden Sabers.

TomKat
January 26, 2014, 05:56 PM
CZ and Beretta make a .380 that is all steal, no polymer... one of those will probably be best, I was actually thinking about the CZ for my wife.

ngnrd
January 27, 2014, 03:06 AM
We stopped by a gun shop on the way to the range today, and the wife was able to handle a few new pistols. She absolutely hated the stippling on the grips of the Sig P229, saying it felt like sandpaper on her hands. I don't really know how she would like it with different grips, because she couldn't get past how it felt to comment on how it actually fit.

One pistol she showed more than just a cursory interest in was a full sized 1911. She liked how it felt in her hands, and said it that although it was still a bit heavy, it seemed lighter than my P90 (which it's not). I figure that the slimmer grip allowed her to handle the added weight easier. So, I'm definitely going to pursue that - maybe in one of the smaller sizes.

Does anybody have any comments about the difference in felt recoil between the bigger and smaller framed 1911's, either in 45 or 9mm?

Havok7416
January 27, 2014, 12:14 PM
Again referencing my Defender, I find that the recoil (.45) is noticeably more stout in the small aluminum frame. I also have a Taurus PT1911 for comparison which I get tighter groups out of, largely due to the lack of recoil.

ngnrd
January 27, 2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks Havok. That's what I figured. Maybe a compact 1911-style pistol in 9mm is what we're looking for... Smaller (and lighter) than my P90, but still heavy enough to tame the recoil.

Sniper66
January 27, 2014, 01:15 PM
You might try the Glock 19 Gen4 9mm. You can adjust the size of the grip by changing the rear pad the controls to thickness of the grip. The recoil is much better than the S & W M&P or the Kahr And of course, you have the accuracy and flawless reliability of a Glock. Or you might hold out for the newly released Glock .380 compact, but it might be hard to gets for awhile since it is new.

ngnrd
January 27, 2014, 01:30 PM
Ok... one more time in case anybody missed it...

Thank you for taking the time to post a sugestion, but we're looking for an autoloading pistol, chambered in a more powerful cartridge than the .380, with smaller grips than a Ruger P90, and not plastic.

I'm sure the Glocks are fantastic pistols. I know plenty of people like them, they just don't meet our selection criteria.

oneounceload
January 27, 2014, 02:06 PM
Used would be the HK P7 - unique squeeze-cocking mechanism, metal frame and very accurate.
New and a tad expensive would be the Boberg and Rohrbaugh - metal frames, compact 9mm

Look here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B22wLsyYEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3ZDlm/edit?hl=en_US

and see what strikes your fancy - the 9mms are just under the 380.

Seems AMT has a new 38 Super as an alternative as well

kbbailey
January 27, 2014, 02:23 PM
Mrs kb likes my sp101 with 38spl's.

Havok7416
January 27, 2014, 03:00 PM
Thanks Havok. That's what I figured. Maybe a compact 1911-style pistol in 9mm is what we're looking for... Smaller (and lighter) than my P90, but still heavy enough to tame the recoil.
I originally wanted a Defender in 9mm. I will check the next time I am at the range to see if I can rent a small 9mm 1911 and compare it against my Defender. I will also second oneounceload's recommendation of a P7 if that is within your price range. I love mine and can recommend a great holster maker that specializes in P7 holsters.

ngnrd
January 27, 2014, 04:48 PM
I wish we had any shops up here that rented handguns. But, the last one I know of closed their doors years ago. ... Makes this kind of search a bit difficult. I basically have to find someone I know that has one I can borrow. Or I have to buy it, try it, and then sell it if I don't like it (like the aforementioned Bersa). It sucks...

oneounceload
January 27, 2014, 05:05 PM
I love mine and can recommend a great holster maker that specializes in P7 holsters.

WHO? And does he make LH versions?

Esoxchaser
January 27, 2014, 05:13 PM
My wife is a very experienced shooter. Once she shot a P238 it was all over. She loves that pistol like no other, and she has some really nice ones, but the 238 is "the one". It's her constant companion, and she shoots it very, very well. With the modern loadings I am not at all concerned about her being under powered (she uses Critical defense and PowrBall)...

Havok7416
January 27, 2014, 09:48 PM
WHO? And does he make LH versions?
Heck yeah he does! I happen to also be left-handed and found him after an exhaustive search. I will add that I am in no way employed by or renumerated by him. The website is http://garritysgunleather.com/. I bought the Triskel, which can be worn IWB, OWB or can be used as a "tuckable". It costs $115 but I feel that it was worth the money.

End threadjack.

oneounceload
January 28, 2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks!

paintballdude902
January 28, 2014, 12:35 PM
my wife reallly like how the walther pk380 fits her hand. were probably gonna be getting one for her here soon

tommy.duncan
January 28, 2014, 09:34 PM
I sat for a week looking at measurements, capacity, finishes, and calibers to figure out what the wife might like. We went to a fun show and she handled about 50 different pistols (revolver and auto) and her first was a 1911 commander. Take her to shows and stores and let her pick out what feels good in her hand, what fits in her hand. Try ranges that rent firearms for ideas.
Good Luck

ngnrd
January 28, 2014, 10:50 PM
...Try ranges that rent firearms for ideas.
Good Luck

I already covered that...

I wish we had any shops up here that rented handguns. But, the last one I know of closed their doors years ago. ... Makes this kind of search a bit difficult.

Thanks, though...

Havok7416
January 28, 2014, 11:05 PM
I know I made the promise already, but it looks like I will be going to the range tomorrow. My mom is here as well so I will see if 1) They have a small 1911 to rent, and 2) If I can get my mom to shoot it.

ngnrd
January 28, 2014, 11:14 PM
That would be great Havok!

Kernel
January 29, 2014, 12:19 AM
I bet she'd like a Sig P938 SAS. It's a lock-breach 9mm, which helps with recoil. Great sights, so it's fun to shoot. Easy to rack, which women like. It's similar to her Mustang, so familiarization would be a snap. And it has a factory "melt" job, so there'll be no sharp edges to offend her soft feminine physique. Oh.... and it's really, really, cute!
http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/938_SAS-Detail-L.jpg

ngnrd
January 29, 2014, 02:36 AM
That's interesting Kernel. I had actually considered the P938 at one point. But then I read this from a Guns & Ammo article (http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/pocket-parabellum-the-sig-p938-review/#ixzz2rlo52nAC) published in May of 2012:

This is not the gun to hand to your wife or girlfriend because “It’s light, small and easy to carry” and expect her to enjoy practicing with it. Especially if you give her a magazine filled with defensive ammo.

So, I basically dismissed the 'cute' P938 based on my assumption of what the recoil would be like from a 9mm in a 16-ounce subcompact. Maybe I was wrong?? Could be worth further consideration...

Anybody out there have 1st hand experience with the P938, and can comment on its recoil compared to some of the other suggestions?

Mastrogiacomo
January 29, 2014, 05:45 AM
I personally prefer the Sig 239 in 9mm. If not a Glock....

Laura

area51
January 29, 2014, 07:55 AM
I think Kimber makes a nice 9mm...

PabloJ
January 29, 2014, 08:06 AM
Kahr K9 with optional ported barrel. Recoil is low, trigger is nice and the grip is good for smaller hands.

Or . . .

1) Buy a reputable gun and let her shoot it.
2) If it doesn't suit her, place the gun in your safe, and repeat step 1. :evil:

Eventually, you will find the right handgun.
Though rumor seems that place has forsaken quality control in favor of customer being one and only final inspector.

HexHead
January 29, 2014, 08:15 AM
My wife used to have a Para PDA in 9mm that she shot pretty well. Based on the 1911 design, but with their Light Double Action trigger, it doesn't need to be carried "cocked & locked". The LDA trigger is great, it's the trigger Glock wished they had.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/scat999999/misc/DSC_0019-1.jpg

PabloJ
January 29, 2014, 08:16 AM
I think Kimber makes a nice 9mm...
Yes, small and cute though when it comes to ammo selection tread carefully! I assume you're not suggesting sub-compact 1911s which in circles of those who know better are called 'Jam-o-matics.'

HexHead
January 29, 2014, 08:24 AM
I assume you're not suggesting sub-compact 1911s which in circles of those who know better are called 'Jam-o-matics.'

Not the Colt Series 90 Defender line. Both my New Agent, and several people I've known that had them too, were as boringly reliable as a Glock regardless of the ammo fed them. Only Colt has figured out how to make a 3" 1911 dead nuts reliable.

Hokkmike
January 29, 2014, 10:53 AM
ngnrd

My Ruger P90 (.45) is way too big for her, but she says the recoil is much more pleasant, and if it were necessary to fend off an intruder, she says that's the one she would grab before any of the other handguns because it's got 'less' recoil, and is more powerful - even though she knows it's too big for her hands.

So... she likes her .380's because they're lightweight and compact (I think I heard her use the word 'cute'... but I'm gonna ignore that and substitute the word compact), but much prefers the less snappy recoil of my larger, heavier .45.

And this is my conundrum... Which compact handgun, chambered in a cartridge that has more power and less recoil than a .380, would you recommend for a petite person?

Personally, I would stay with the .380. Maybe try a SP101 in .327? At any rate, let HER decide.

weblance
January 29, 2014, 11:04 AM
That's interesting Kernel. I had actually considered the P938 at one point. But then I read this from a Guns & Ammo article published in May of 2012:

This is not the gun to hand to your wife or girlfriend because “It’s light, small and easy to carry” and expect her to enjoy practicing with it. Especially if you give her a magazine filled with defensive ammo.
So, I basically dismissed the 'cute' P938 based on my assumption of what the recoil would be like from a 9mm in a 16-ounce subcompact. Maybe I was wrong?? Could be worth further consideration...

Sig has a 22 Long Rifle version of the P938 in the works, AND a 22 conversion for the P938. If you are worried about her practicing with 9mm, and having difficulty with the recoil of the P938, she can practice with .22 AND then carry the 9mm. Its a great compromise.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=740908

JJFitch
January 29, 2014, 10:02 PM
I train professional women the fine art of the defensive handgun. I find that the
Ruger LC9 fits the requirements of most women and is not too small for regular practice and not too big for regular carry. Women with children like the idea of the thumb safety.

Cheers,

Havok7416
January 29, 2014, 10:12 PM
I took my mom out today to try out my Defender and a rental 9mm. Unfortunately, when we got there, I found out that their only rental in the same size category was the EMP -- and it was broken. I did manage to talk my mom into shooting the Defender and she said the recoil was too much. I brought a PT1911 along for comparison and she said she liked that a lot better, but it was too big and too heavy. For what it's worth, she did alright with the Defender even though she only fired two rounds (5 yards).
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p309/Havok7416/DSCF3378_zpsdc233f01.jpg

I will go back and do a comparison between my Defender and the EMP when it gets fixed. It should give me enough time to reload my .45 ammo. Let me know how else I can help!

bushmaster1313
January 29, 2014, 10:52 PM
Help me pick a 'better' handgun for my wife

If you're trading you wife for a handgun I hope you get a good one.

ngnrd
January 30, 2014, 02:46 AM
That's great info Havok. I really appreciate it.

I was able to do a side-by-side comparison between an EMP and a couple of different sized 1911's yesterday. While at first glance they seem to have the same sized grip, the EMP actually is just a bit smaller in the hand. It's not huge, but there's definitely a difference. Also, the one I handled took more strength than I thought it should to rack the slide, but it was a 40-cal, and I've heard that the 40's have a much stronger spring than the 9mm version.

So Havok, if you do get a chance to use that EMP, could you make a mental note of how racking the slide compares to your Defender?

Thanks again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick a 'better' handgun for my wife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!