Where are my Illinois natives at?

PDA

Comrade Mike
January 22, 2014, 10:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of us hail from the land of Lincoln and where do you shoot?

I'm from the Chicago suburbs, currently splitting my time between home and East Lansing for school. When I'm home I shoot indoors at Article Two in Lombard. For out doors I used to shoot at Buffalo Rock Range but with the pit closure and the price increases I haven't been out there much. Lately I've been shooting in Indiana at the DNR range in Kingsbury Indiana. It's about the same drive as Buffalo, it's cheaper and in my opinion it's a much nicer facility. I just hate the 90 minute + drive just to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where are my Illinois natives at?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trent
January 22, 2014, 10:27 PM
Drive south, brother, and don't look back. Everything gets better south of I-80. :)

tactikel
January 22, 2014, 10:54 PM
I too live in the western suburbs. My indoor range is Article II in Lombard (10 minutes away). I much prefer outdoor ranges and favor the ISRA range in Kankakee, it's an hour away but worth the drive.

Comrade Mike
January 22, 2014, 11:54 PM
I too live in the western suburbs. My indoor range is Article II in Lombard (10 minutes away). I much prefer outdoor ranges and favor the ISRA range in Kankakee, it's an hour away but worth the drive.

The ISRA range is beautiful. I've shot there a couple times. I'm just not home enough yet to justify the expense.

mg.mikael
January 23, 2014, 01:27 AM
Live in Cook County, but not Chicago thankfully. As for shooting I do it all far up north in Wisconsin on 'private land' (think Green Bay north), don't get out there often but I like being able to shoot outdoors without any silly range restrictions or rules.

As for shooting indoors I don't really care for it but ever one in a blue moon I might go to Rinks.

slumlord44
January 23, 2014, 02:02 AM
Lebanon Illinois. 90 miles east of St. Louis Mo. No offense but most of us South of Cook County wish Cook County would secede from the state and become their own state. I am on a small farm 5 miles from town and shoot in my back yard. We do have a trap range in our local park that is adjacent to the city limits.

Elvis1
January 23, 2014, 03:49 AM
There is a new range being built in Bensenville, 30 lanes and state of the art. I'll keep any of you who want posted on progress and projected opening date. That said I try and stay out of public ranges. I've been shooting on private land way up north in WI.

BluesDancer
January 23, 2014, 08:54 AM
Cook County, NW Suburbs. I go to Maxon's because, simply put, it is all I really know.

lceel
January 23, 2014, 09:15 AM
I live in Plainfield and I range at Mega Sports - though I have tried Rink's in Lockport and Article II in Lombard. I have not shot outdoors since 1966, when I cam home from Vietnam, but I plan to do so when the weather finally breaks. I will probably go to Buffalo Rock, but Kankakee's ISRA (which I knew nothing about until I read this thread) sounds like it might not be a bad idea to look into. And the DNR range in Indiana, too.

Mega Sports is expensive, yes, but the range is clean, well lit and very well ventilated and the equipment is up to date. The same cannot be said for Article II and Rink's. Especially Rink's. And the best thing about Mega Sports? There's a big sink with hot water, soap and paper towels right outside the range to clean your face and hands after shooting. When you know what's actually IN GSR, you want to wash your hands and face. As soon as possible.

Comrade Mike
January 23, 2014, 09:50 AM
I have to admit mega does have the nicest indoor range in the area but I've always found the employees there rather hostile. I knew one guy who worked there for years but he recently retired. Since he left I haven't been I there in maybe 2 years.

If I remember right there was a stretch where they were making you buy their ammo and targets to shoot as well.

Wishoot
January 23, 2014, 10:05 AM
Lived in Bartlett for 20 years and shot at my brother-in-laws club in Kenosha.

Now I live in Wisconsin, thank goodness, and shoot at a private club 10 minutes from my house.

lceel
January 23, 2014, 10:06 AM
My experience with Mega's employees has been quite the opposite. They work under VERY strict regulation - and one of those regulations seems to be to stay on task until the task is complete. Period. That means not allowing interruptions by other staff and/or customers while serving the needs of a specific customer. I wish they'd use a number system, like they do in a deli - it would solve a lot of the perception issues with "Customer Service". I have found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable - when it came to be "my turn".

As for the range, the rules change from time to time. They discourage reloads, but they'll allow factory ammo - yours or theirs. Yes, you have to buy their targets. They discount the range fee if you spend more than 10 bucks - so buying a box of ammo gets you on the range cheaper.

Neo-Luddite
January 23, 2014, 10:36 AM
Originally from the far South Suburbs (Dolton, Cal City, South Holland, ect). Now reside in the top left corner which is, in terms of attitudes of all stripes, much closer to those under I-80 than the Chi crowd; (as I say) the other 'downstate'.

Here we shoot on family land but close and inexpensive gun clubs are all over as well. Thats the irony maybe; in a rural area where mostly everyone can shoot in someone's 'back yard', public and nearly-public clubs are all over. I guess we are spoiled for choice.

UpperAtmosphere
January 23, 2014, 11:09 AM
I shoot at Darnall's outside of Bloomington and have been known to range as far south as The Bullet Trap in Macon.

They're both fairly out of the way, so I don't get to go as often as I'd like, but the Downstairs Laser Bullet Range gets a good workout. Dry fire scratches the itch a little.

vito
January 23, 2014, 11:13 AM
I live in Rockford and I'm a member of the Pine Tree Pistol Club. We have three indoor ranges (no outdoor at all) and as a member you get a key to the building and can shoot whenever you want (unless the ranges are reserved for classes or competition). The only rifles allowed for use there are 22's and the ranges have a maximum distance of 50 feet.

dmurdach
January 23, 2014, 12:27 PM
I am from southern Illinois, DuQuoin, near Carbondale. I often shoot on private property, but also at MorMad Farms. It is an outdoor range recently started, with a 400 yard rifle berm.

PJSprog
January 23, 2014, 12:45 PM
We live on a small farm just outside of Trenton. We've set up a 100 yard shooting lane on our property that's not more than 10 yards from the house. We used to be members of the Highland Pistol and Rifle Club, but just cannot justify the added expense to do there what we can do at home. I've also shot for many years at Metro Shooting Supplies (formerly Belleville Shooting Range) in Belleville. As indoor ranges go, it's small but not bad.

grogetr
January 23, 2014, 01:21 PM
I'm from Godfrey about 40 mi north of St. Louis. I can shoot right here in the back yard. There is a outdoor range 15 mi. away in East Alton at the Olin Corp. plant where they make Winchester ammo. They have one for pistol and another for shot gun, you have to buy there ammo.

NapalmMan67
January 23, 2014, 02:30 PM
65ish miles West of Lake Michigan 45ish miles South of Rockford/Belvidere.

Shoot at The ASC club in Waterman. Don't frequent any indoor ranges.

lceel
January 23, 2014, 03:25 PM
If memory serves, NapalmMan76, the ASC, in Waterman is private. What do dues run? And the club in Big Rock is, as well, I just can't remember who that one is associated with.

BigBL87
January 23, 2014, 06:32 PM
Tonica, IL (North Central IL) here. Don't go to any ranges, just some informal clay shooting with friends and relatives.

Missionary
January 23, 2014, 06:52 PM
Greetings
When up north there we live in Danville (intersate 74, extreme east ILLinois).
Been a member of Danville Rifle Pistol Club since 1982. We have our own 300 yard range west of town somewhat north of Oakwood.
Mike in Peru

ahtoxa
January 23, 2014, 06:54 PM
Lived in Chicago for many years. Move out to TX at the end of 2011. Haven't looked back.

steady shot
January 23, 2014, 07:53 PM
Madison County IL. I shoot at the Caseyville Pistol and Rifle Club located in Mascoutah IL.

larryh1108
January 23, 2014, 08:36 PM
Rinks is fine for the $9 they charge. No RO, no BS, your own ammo and targets. Not the top-of-the-line equipment but the price is right. Dark and dingy with manual target lines but who cares when you can shoot all you want for $9?

Mega Sports is all business. Like others have said, when it's your turn, you are treated right. The range fees are almost 3x Rinks, though, and you have to buy their targets. They have an outstanding selection but are pretty pricey. I've heard they like to hire off duty LEO, which is fine with me. They are true professionals but you pay for their services. Their choices of rental guns are second to none. I've waited over an hour to shoot there and you get to roam the aisles of shooting stuff while you wait. It can get expensive there.

I watched Article II get put together. It is 5 mins from where I used to work. The delays were tough to take but they had a lot of red tape from the community. When they finally opened they were not as nice as Mega Sports but did ok with their range. Their selection is no where near Mega Sports but the prices are cheaper too.

rswartsell
January 23, 2014, 08:41 PM
Lived in Palatine from 2003 to 2010. I waited for the moment when the searchlights were on the other side of the compound and over the wall I went. Loving Shreveport Louisiana (home of Terry Bradshaw and Leadbelly) ever since.

GAT guns, Maxson Shooter Supply and Range and Aurora Gun Club helped me through my period of incarceration.

Nanook
January 23, 2014, 10:20 PM
I shoot at the ISRA range, which is a very nice range. I've never in my life shot indoors, so I can't help there.

I've heard good things about Megasports' range, and Rink's too.

Considering the weather lately, I need to try out that indoors thing.

ferges99
January 23, 2014, 10:28 PM
I'm in Southern IL and belong to a private gun club 5 miles from home and can shoot there any time I want. There are also 2 indoor ranges (one at 4 miles and one at 22 miles away) that both just opened in the last week. I also live in the country and have a 25 yard range in my back yard. I guess you could say I am blessed with shooting possibilities. I shoot upwards of 500 rounds a week when the weather permits. I may have to try those new indoor ranges if it stays so danged cold.

larryh1108
January 23, 2014, 10:29 PM
Considering the weather lately, I need to try out that indoors thing.

Well, Rinks has no heat in the winter and no A/C in the summer. When it's 20 degrees outside, it's 25 degrees inside the range. In the summer, it's actually hotter inside than out so a 100 degree day is 120+ inside.

sonick808
January 24, 2014, 12:41 AM
Hail from Bloomington/Normal. Just outside of actually in a small town called Towanda. In a small subdivision outside of that actually, called Lamplighter. lol. So, in the sticks. Grew up with guns, and we were able to have shotguns in our racks at high school parking all the way up to 1991 when i graduated. I'm sure that wouldn't fly today.

We always shot on land of friendly farmers where we hunted and trapped. Later in life I moved to town, family sold the rural property, and I shot mainly at Darnall's in Bloomington.

Moved to Chicago to work downtown in the SEARS tower. Lived in Lombard for one year doing that, then moved to 10 E Ontario downtown. Needless to say , no shooting occured. Had to store my guns at a friends' house downstate.

NOW, I'm in Arizona, and living free. I shoot where there is room, and carry always. I miss IL, but I love living in a free state.

JTHunter
January 24, 2014, 01:23 AM
Steady Shot said:Madison County IL. I shoot at the Caseyville Pistol and Rifle Club located in Mascoutah IL.

CPRC in Mascoutah is actually in St. Clair county, and has been involved in a protracted battle with the county (winning every decision from what I have heard!) because they are actually under the flight line for Scott AFB.
Last I heard, their annual dues, partly because of these legal battles, are over $200/yr.!

PJSprog - when was the last time you used the range in Metro's store? Have you seen their fees lately?!?

Comrade Mike
January 24, 2014, 01:30 AM
Steady Shot said:

CPRC in Mascoutah is actually in St. Clair county, and has been involved in a protracted battle with the county (winning every decision from what I have heard!) because they are actually under the flight line for Scott AFB.

Last I heard, their annual dues, partly because of these legal battles, are over $200/yr.!

PJSprog - when was the last time you used the range in Metro's store? Have you seen their fees lately?!?

Hey the Aurora Sportsman's Club is 280 a year. If I stay in the Chicago land area that or the ISRA range may be my only options, though neither is cheap by any stretch. Maybe one day I'll have my back yard as my range....

sig228
January 24, 2014, 11:35 AM
Grew up in the city, around 31st and Pulaski. Moved to Florida long before I got into guns. Just lucky to move to a gun friendly state not really knowing anything back then. Still have family up there in Willowbrook and Plainfield. Have shot recently with my brother at Rinks. Very friendly people there. Glad to see you guys finally got concealed carry.

PJSprog
January 24, 2014, 11:45 AM
It's been a few years since I've been in there. It was still called Belleville Shooting Range back then. I haven't been in since they changed the name. They have that new place over in Bridgeton to pay for, so I'm sure that's reflected in their current fees. Too bad, really, because it's not that nice in there.

Has anyone here been to Rampart's in Pocahontas? If so, what's it like?

Steve51
January 24, 2014, 02:24 PM
I live in southeast central Illinois about 12 miles south of I-70 and about 5 miles west of the Wabash river. I belong to the sportsman club at Marshall, IL and they have a range. I especially like the range for zeroing rifles, pistols, and slug barrels. I also have 8 acres of woods and 12 acres of tillable ground. My son and I made a shooting area inside the woods for shooting targets and steel plates. We also throw and shoot clay pigeons with shotguns on the edge of the woods. The only time we don't shoot there is when farmers are working their fields.

mope540
January 24, 2014, 07:20 PM
Living In Sangamon County...have been all my life except for the first couple of years. Shoot at friends' property, or at the range. Although I'm in a gun friendly region, the taxes on everything are outrageous and most of it goes to the cesspool up north. Only the job keeps me here in this sad dying state, and even the family won't be able to convince me to stay here after retirement in 5-7 years.

Nanook
January 24, 2014, 07:52 PM
Well, Rinks has no heat in the winter and no A/C in the summer. When it's 20 degrees outside, it's 25 degrees inside the range. In the summer, it's actually hotter inside than out so a 100 degree day is 120+ inside.

Glad you told me that, I really didn't know about that. I've been to Rink's a time or two looking at guns and loading stuff, but never shot there.

I heard they upgraded the range recently, must not have gotten to the heat/AC yet.

Vodoun da Vinci
January 24, 2014, 07:58 PM
I'm in Western Illinois right along the Mississippi river and I shoot at, buy my guns at, and will take my CCW classes at Shooting Sports Unlimited:

http://www.shootingsportsmoline.com/

I have an outdoor range and access to another more sophisticated range at/near my mother-in-laws farm not far in Iowa to practice live fire drawing and shooting.

VooDoo

larryh1108
January 24, 2014, 08:43 PM
I heard they upgraded the range recently, must not have gotten to the heat/AC yet.

I have to qualify this ny saying I haven't been there in over 2 years since I moved to CT. If they upgraded their range, maybe they put ventilation in. Up until then, it was basically the same range for many years.

steady shot
January 24, 2014, 08:54 PM
Steady Shot said:

Yes, CPRC is located on N. County Road in Mascoutah IL(St Clair County). However I live in the next County over, Madison County.

Metro shooting supply's in Belleville IL you ask? Are you talking about that indoor range?

If so, I don't use it. You must buy and use in store ammo. Fee's are expensive$$$$...

Here is a sign at the CPRC the libs on the St Clair County board made us put up as part of the court settlement.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/003_zps7bcaa957.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the ranges.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/002_zpsee0b22be.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/047.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/042.jpg

Comrade Mike
January 24, 2014, 10:27 PM
Yes, CPRC is located on N. County Road in Mascoutah IL(St Clair County). However I live in the next County over, Madison County.

Metro shooting supply's in Belleville IL you ask? Are you talking about that indoor range?

If so, I don't use it. You must buy and use in store ammo. Fee's are expensive$$$$...

Here is a sign at the CPRC the libs on the St Clair County board made us put up as part of the court settlement.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/003_zps7bcaa957.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the ranges.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/002_zpsee0b22be.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/047.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/042.jpg

Beautiful! I really envy all you non Chicagolanders. You know, the GOOD part of Illinois!

dcar_roll
January 24, 2014, 11:13 PM
I'm from Paris. It's about 14 mls north of I-70 and about 13 mls from the Indiana state line. I do most of my shooting on the farm ground I deer hunt on.

hey_poolboy
January 24, 2014, 11:23 PM
I'm near Peoria. Fortunately I have friends and family with places I can shoot.

Onmilo
January 24, 2014, 11:38 PM
The Lost World north of Rushville.
I have private land to shoot on and also maintain long term memberships with Midwest Gun Collectors and Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

NapalmMan67
January 24, 2014, 11:50 PM
For new members ASC dues are a one time initiation of $280.00 + $280.00 member fee and 10 hrs work time.

Renewall is $280.00 + $180.00 membership assesment fee and 5hrs work time.

Kind of pricey, but it's the best outdoor range around besides the ISRA range. It's only 20 minutes for me, where the ISRA range is almost two hours.

ASC has- 25, 50, 100, 200 & 600 yard pistol/rifle ranges, trap/skeet/5 stand, a 10 station sporting clays course, archery, and a golf range. A couple ponds for fishing- camping gound in the future. Dove, Deer & Cyote hunting.

seanie!
January 25, 2014, 02:05 PM
I'm unlucky enough to live in Cook County, but lucky enough to have a brother that lives in Lockport. My wife and I are actually in the process of buying a house in Lockport so we could at least get out of Cook County. Right now I'm in Chicago Ridge and usually shoot at Rink's if it's a pistols-only day or Article II if it's a rifle day. I avoid MegaSports like it's the plague. If any of you in the Chicagoland area want to head out for a range day, feel free to message me and we'll set something up.

JTHunter
January 26, 2014, 10:48 PM
Steady Shot - those fees and especially mandating "in-store ammo" (at highly inflated prices!!) are two of the reasons I quit going there.

lilguy
January 27, 2014, 12:22 AM
Indoors I shoot at 0N Target in Crystal Lake. Nice 50 yard range. Outdoors I belong to St Charles Sportsman's Club. A lot of good places to shoot in Illinois.

steady shot
January 27, 2014, 02:15 AM
Steady Shot - those fees and especially mandating "in-store ammo" (at highly inflated prices!!) are two of the reasons I quit going there.

+1, I hear ya!

Deanimator
January 27, 2014, 07:26 AM
Born in Apartheid Chicago at 69th and Indiana in the '60s.

Parking is such a nightmare, it's not even fun to go out to eat anymore. Parking usually costs more than a decent meal.

I've got nothing good to say (apart from the architecture) about the place and only go back once a year to see my mother.

I think every place I ever bought a gun or shot there is out of business now (or no longer sells guns), including VL&A in Oak Lawn, the little place off of 119th(?) where I bought my first handgun, the range in Glennwood-Dyer, and the Abercrombie & Fitch store on Wabash in the Loop.

I feel about Illinois (and especially Chicago) the way that the actor Helmut Dantine felt about Austria after he left.

Dframe
January 27, 2014, 01:08 PM
I've been in Sangamon County, near Springfield for many years now. There are two indoor ranges within reasonable driving distance, but I hate shooting indoors. Fortuantely we have the Lefthanders Gun Club, and Abe Lincoln gun club fairly close by. Both private clubs but with shoots to which the public is invited.

C0untZer0
January 27, 2014, 01:13 PM
DuPage

I shoot at Article II, but if I know I can only shoot for an hour, I'll shoot at JR Shooting Sports because there is less of a wait.

I've made reservations at Article II and still had to wait 45 minutes...

Top_Notch
January 27, 2014, 01:13 PM
In NW Suburbs of Chicago. Typically shoot at GAT guns. I don't get out as often as I would like.

BigBL87
January 27, 2014, 11:11 PM
So, color me shocked. Applied for my FOID and got it in just over 3 weeks, maybe Illinois is actually catching up. My wife applied at the same time though and hasn't gotten hers, so who knows.

Edarnold
January 29, 2014, 02:15 AM
Born and raised in Chicago, living now on the North side. I remember shopping at Kleins Sporting Goods and VL&A in the Loop and bringing my (cased) rifles home on the El. Then we got the Daleys, and it all went.
Currently shop and shoot indoors at GAT Guns near Elgin, an hours drive but they have a great selection of gear and a very nice range. Another favorite shop is Schrank's in Waukegan, nice folks and a fine selection of used guns. Outdoor shooting means the hour+ drive to the Free State of Wisconsin, the Bristol range has ranges out to 200yds. And trap and skeet for those that do that. I've looked at the ISSRA range but that's a 2 hour drive for me and a range membership is just too pricey for the number of times I'd use it. I've never checked out Maxon in Des Plaines, pretty close so might drop in when the weather lets up. Or Rahman Emanuel might get his backside handed to him by the courts and let a range get built in the City: wouldn't that be a hoot!

mg.mikael
January 29, 2014, 11:54 PM
Or Rahman Emanuel might get his backside handed to him by the courts and let a range get built in the City: wouldn't that be a hoot!

Actually Chicago was recently challenged in the courts about their law regarding gun ranges and gun stores in city limits. And the law is technically already changed allowing gun ranges in city limits......unfortunately the list of restrictions and code issues (cant be within a certain distance of residential zones, schools, parks, public buildings, and establishments that sell liquor) is endless. In other words gun ranges can be opened, but getting past all the rules, regulations, and the city will mean any gun range would be more a political statement then a real business.

22plinker
January 30, 2014, 11:30 AM
I hail from just inside Ill .at the junction of 2 well used trails. I#80 and Mississippi River.
I shoot at Milan Rifle Club and just across the river in the free state of Iowa at the Princeton public Iowa DNR dirt berm range .
The Milan range is the oldest and most respected range in these parts. They have big heated indoor pistol range to 25yds w/electric retrieve . Many outdoor pistol ranges . Covered range w.25,50,100, and 180 boards. Complete cowboy action range and police combat targets . Other options are 200yd rifle range , 300 yd range and 600 yd range 3 walled ranges that are for pistol and scatterguns. Access is by punch code electric gate .Don't need to even get out to use. lol
In good weather I favor the free state of Iowa's dirt berm range for plinking with the CZ 452s ,Marlin 30-30, H&R Handi 30-30. and the H&R Buffalo Classic 45/70.
For anyone in my area that uses the free DNR range . I'm assuming that the members here are not among those that choose to leave the brain at home when the range officer is not working the range . Shooting the target boards
2X4 supports literally to the ground is not exactly a show of common sense.
Wish all safe shooting

ArthurE
January 30, 2014, 07:25 PM
Hey! I, like Edarnold remember taking my buddy's Dad's hunting rifles (cased) on the commuter train to Northwestern Station and then walking to the gunsmith at Marshall Fields. The gun department had some of the most amazing specimens of taxidermy I have ever seen; especially the Kodiak Bear that to a twelve-year-old seemed about the size of Godzilla.
I recently have been shooting at Maxon's and have been meaning to try Article II. It's been a while since I've been to GAT. I actually have been doing most of my shooting lately at the Vilas County range near my place in Northern Wisconsin. Much more relaxed there.
One thing I would like to say is that I have noticed more couples at the ranges. It used to be when I took my wife and daughter there, they were the only women in the place. I'm glad to see the change.

Kurt S.
January 31, 2014, 03:10 AM
Born south side Chicago, grew up in Oak Lawn (SW suburbs). I have not been back there except for 2 very short trips for 46 years. I try to avoid telling people that I am "from" there, I usually tell people I'm from Florida.

I have other issues besides the gun rights thing with Chicago and Illinois in general.

For some reason, my wife thinks it's funny to tell people I'm from Chicago. I think it's because it ticks me off to no end, and since it's really hard to get me angry, it's a little victory for her. I also don't like it when she puts my tennis/walking/gym shoes in the washing machine...grrrrr!

That's alright, I just tell people she was born at the Wendy's in Linton, IN....which is true in a way. And I don't shake the throw rugs out before I wash them, so there!

Deanimator
January 31, 2014, 06:48 AM
Born south side Chicago, grew up in Oak Lawn (SW suburbs). I have not been back there except for 2 very short trips for 46 years. I try to avoid telling people that I am "from" there, I usually tell people I'm from Florida.
Are you old enough to remember VL&A in Oak Lawn? They always had a pretty good selection of handguns.

I almost bought my first handgun there. It was a choice between a 9mm Japanese Type 26 revolver and a Luger with absolutely no finish on it. I wish I'd bought the Luger. I ended up getting a Series 70 Colt from a little shop near 103(?) and Lincoln Highway(?).

I later bought a Smith Victory Model and an M1917 from VL&A. I REALLY wish I still had that M1917.

tlatoani
January 31, 2014, 12:49 PM
I'm in Champaign. I get to shoot at the U of I's police training range 2x per month. It's nice, very strict oversight and rules as it is very crowded on these days. (that's a good thing, imo)

I also shoot at the ISRA range when I can make the trip.

redneck2
January 31, 2014, 08:23 PM
You guys need to do like a lot of your neighbors and buy a week end house over here. "Over here" being a 90 minute drive from the Loop. 70% of my neighbors are from Il and come out on the week-ends.

I live on a lake, and have a 200 yard range at my daughter's house right down the street. If you buy my house, you get access to the range. Hell of a deal. Walk out front to boat or fish and walk out back to shoot. And the house doesn't cost 1/4 of what it would in Illinois. And taxes are 1/10th.

Hurryin' Hoosier
January 31, 2014, 09:51 PM
You guys need to do like a lot of your neighbors and buy a week end house over here. "Over here" being a 90 minute drive from the Loop. 70% of my neighbors are from Il and come out on the week-ends.

I live on a lake, and have a 200 yard range at my daughter's house right down the street. If you buy my house, you get access to the range. Hell of a deal. Walk out front to boat or fish and walk out back to shoot. And the house doesn't cost 1/4 of what it would in Illinois. And taxes are 1/10th.
I can't imagine being Ill-annoyed! ;)

breakingcontact
January 31, 2014, 10:56 PM
Screw a whole bunch of Illinois.

Hurryin' Hoosier
January 31, 2014, 11:05 PM
Well, I guess the vote from Texas is in.

Kurt S.
February 1, 2014, 03:44 AM
@Deanimator: I will be 65 in July...I do not recollect any gun shops in Oak Lawn at all. I left at age 18 (1967) and have never seen the place again. My father had an Ithaca M37 12 gauge (which I still have!), my maternal granddad's 38 S&W (Iver Johnson, still have that one too) which he carried in WW1 and a little .22 Hi-Standard revolver. I had Crosman BB gun- it was a weird pump action, you'd load 1 BB and pump the barrel once.

I was in Chicago briefly in 1974 for my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary (somewhere out in the far SW suburbs, don't remember where) and in 2000 when my stepson graduated from Great Lakes.

I still have family in N. Illinois but I don't stay in contact. Neither have I stayed in contact with people I went to school with and such. No big deal, everybody's gotta live somewhere.

Comrade Mike
February 1, 2014, 03:53 AM

That's the plan!

VVelox
February 2, 2014, 07:35 PM
Chicago and I refuse to leave as it would mean signalling defeat on multiple issues.

I am fond of GAT Guns. 90 is easy to access from Belmont and it nice and easy drive up it to there. Just wish I had a easy to access range that I could use steel cased ammo at.

shuvelrider
February 2, 2014, 09:28 PM
BGBL87, funny you mentioned Tonica. I grew up in LaSalle but spent all my younger years shooting in the local woods from Tonica to the old LoneStar quarry lands, Bailey Falls and along the Vermillion river. My dad grew up on a farm halfway between Tonica and the quarry, RR1 Ogelsby.
I think the OP mentioned Buffalo Rock Shooting Range, that place is a "dive". Years ago it was a gunshop and reloader supply until the owner got sloppy, and literally blew the place up from powder residue on his reload machines. That was around 86-88, I have a couple pics from that. BATF was all over that place.
Anyway, I left Illinois in 2001 and live in Michigan now, shoot at a decent local outdoor range out to 200 yards, smallbore range and a pistol berm. Small membership fee of $44 gets me the combo to the gate and clubhouse. Very convenient to back in with the truck and spend half a day with whatever I bring.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/shuvelrider/005_zps6c8b3db2.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/shuvelrider/media/005_zps6c8b3db2.jpg.html)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/shuvelrider/IMG_0047_zpsf854423b.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/shuvelrider/media/IMG_0047_zpsf854423b.jpg.html)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/shuvelrider/IMG_0040_zps1c6ab232.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/shuvelrider/media/IMG_0040_zps1c6ab232.jpg.html)

BigBL87
February 2, 2014, 09:46 PM
BGBL87, funny you mentioned Tonica. I grew up in LaSalle but spent all my younger years shooting in the local woods from Tonica to the old LoneStar quarry lands, Bailey Falls and along the Vermillion river. My dad grew up on a farm halfway between Tonica and the quarry, RR1 Ogelsby.
I think the OP mentioned Buffalo Rock Shooting Range, that place is a "dive". Years ago it was a gunshop and reloader supply until the owner got sloppy, and literally blew the place up from powder residue on his reload machines. That was around 86-88, I have a couple pics from that. BATF was all over that place.
Anyway, I left Illinois in 2001 and live in Michigan now, shoot at a decent local outdoor range out to 200 yards, smallbore range and a pistol berm. Small membership fee of $44 gets me the combo to the gate and clubhouse. Very convenient to back in with the truck and spend half a day with whatever I bring.

I think I know the area you're talking about. Small world! I actually grew up in Ottawa, moved to Tonica just about a year ago when my wife and I bought a house here, lived in Peru for about half a year before that. Never have been to Buffalo Rock Range and don't imagine I will soon because of the reasons you mention.

shuvelrider
February 3, 2014, 12:08 AM
Buffalo Rock sits on the edge of the old strip mines near Naplate. I shot there once years ago, once was enough. You shoot down into the "pits" at whatever junk has been put in there, you and everyone else blasting into the pit. There is a pistol range off to the one side, not much and not the safest either. That was then, don't know how they are doing now.

Deanimator
February 3, 2014, 06:37 AM
@Deanimator: I will be 65 in July...I do not recollect any gun shops in Oak Lawn at all. I left at age 18 (1967) and have never seen the place again.
I was going to St. Columbanus Catholic grade school at 72nd(?) and Calumet in '67. I didn't start going to VL&A until some time in the mid to late '70s. They're gone, and I'm pretty sure the place in Harvey where I bought my Ithaca 37 DSPS is too.

Comrade Mike
February 3, 2014, 03:09 PM
Buffalo Rock sits on the edge of the old strip mines near Naplate. I shot there once years ago, once was enough. You shoot down into the "pits" at whatever junk has been put in there, you and everyone else blasting into the pit. There is a pistol range off to the one side, not much and not the safest either. That was then, don't know how they are doing now.

They've cleaned up their act with the pistol and rifle ranges, the plinking pit was shut down by the state. It's 30 bucks per person per day. Needles to say I stopped going there.

BigBL87
February 3, 2014, 03:47 PM
They've cleaned up their act with the pistol and rifle ranges, the plinking pit was shut down by the state. It's 30 bucks per person per day. Needles to say I stopped going there.

Was the plinking pit shut down because of people complaining about stray lead ending up on or going over a road or something? Thought I remembered something like that.

Comrade Mike
February 3, 2014, 07:52 PM
Was the plinking pit shut down because of people complaining about stray lead ending up on or going over a road or something? Thought I remembered something like that.

There's two sides to it. The state is claiming they were getting impacts in the state park from buffalo specifically so they shut the pit down. Talk to the people who live around there and there are private ranges all over that area so it's anyone's guess. After the state got involved the place got a lot safer, more range officers. But the price went up so I stopped going regularly. The only perk is the free brass on the ground. I make my money back on range fees in 10 minutes on the ground.

sig228
February 3, 2014, 11:59 PM
Shuvel, that gun is a beauty. Can you tell us more about it? Thanks.

jutinlee
February 4, 2014, 06:05 PM
I'm from near Centralia, Illinois in Washington County.
I shoot in my back yard a lot but I have to travel to the Belleville Range for any indoor shooting.
To speak towards mandating ammo, that's just bot true. I carry in my own ammo every time I have gone there and never been told otherwise.
Now, for rentals, they mandate in store ammo- to "protect their guns from dirty ammo." As they told me.

I am open to suggestions though in terms of a range because that's nearly 45 miles from my house.
I've not found any indoor ranges closer than that.
Outdoor ranges, all locally, regulate it to shotguns only as per various sources so I stay away.
Why pay for an outdoor range when I live in the country?

I would like a several hundred yard rifle range though, that's all I cannot do at home.

DonP
February 4, 2014, 06:19 PM
Will County, just out of reach of Tom Dart, Rahm, Preckwinkle etc.

When I was looking for a place to build, over 2 decades ago, I purposely chose another County, out of reach of the weasels in Chicago.

I shoot at Rinks, Mega once in a while (too $$$) at Willow Slough and Jasper/Pulaski in Indiana and at the Buffalo Range when the plinking pit is open again.

Kingcreek
February 4, 2014, 07:03 PM
Henry county. I can shoot on my own land whenever I want, no range fees, no idiots, and no problem with neighbors.

mnhntr
February 4, 2014, 07:06 PM
I moved out of the Socialist State of Illinois as a teen and will never return.

Comrade Mike
February 4, 2014, 08:09 PM
It is really a shame about Illinois. As far as the state it self, it's a beautiful state with tons of natural resources. Chicago, again minus the politics, is really a very nice city to live near and work in. You can't beat the location.

Shame it can't just swing the other way.

shuvelrider
February 4, 2014, 08:29 PM
That rifle is a STG-58 FAL in .308, the earlier Belgian/Austrian model. The scope is an Elcan Spectre, flip lever 4X, red dot/lighted reticle depending on how you rotate the knob. Courtesy of a pair of NVG,s I brought home from Afghanistan, I traded for a well used Win M71 which in turn I traded for the FAL at my local Funshop in 2012 after deployment. The scope was given to me in theater by an officer I knew, he (found it) had no use for it but knew I liked firearms and could possibly use it.
The FAL is a hoot to shoot, cannot miss with it. My wife likes to shoot it also from the bench, it has a soft push for a recoil so no bruised shoulder. Been loading up ammo for it plus accumulating any commercial I can get my hands on, probably around 1500 rounds stashed away now. Some of the old timers at the range don't seem to like when I set up with it, oh well. Glad ya like it enough to ask about it.

Comrade Mike
February 4, 2014, 09:57 PM
What range were those pics taken at?

shuvelrider
February 4, 2014, 11:25 PM
Those pics were taken at the range I belong to here in Michigan, the Holton Gun and Bow Club. Holton is a village about 30 minutes north of where I live in Muskegon. It has a 200 yard berm for rifles, a smallbore range and pistol berm. I sighted the FAL for 300 meters based on a standard army "zero" target, so it shoots a touch high at 200 as shown on the life-size "Ivan" target. For the kopfjaeger shots I hold on the chin/neck. A social membership costs $44 for the year and I get the combo for the main gate and clubhouse.

sig228
February 5, 2014, 12:14 AM
Shuvel, thanks for the info!

drewzfoster
February 5, 2014, 12:31 AM
I live in Champaign and shoot in a gravel pit east of Urbana.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where are my Illinois natives at?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!