Ar around 800$

PDA

chaddy
January 23, 2014, 08:17 PM
I'm wanting to buy a ar-15 for around 800$. Is this possible and get a good gun? I want to buy new and not build.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar around 800$" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
back40
January 23, 2014, 08:45 PM
sure is. what are you looking to do with your new ar? have you looked at any local shops? what are you finding there and for what prices?

TBH
January 23, 2014, 08:49 PM
Yes. There are quite a few new ARs that sell for $800 or less. A buddy of mine bought a DPMS with a pinned flash hider and is very happy with it. I have a gun shop nearby that has a very good selection of ARs and great prices! Do you have the same? I would take some time handling many of them and reading reviews until you find one you are happy with.
Go on Rock River Arms site. They make some pretty good rifles for just a little more than you want to spend. Of course for just a little more you could own a Daniel Defense😹.
Good luck!

walker944
January 23, 2014, 08:49 PM
I just bought my wife a Stag New Model 3 for around $750 shipped off GunBroker about 2 months ago. She loves it, so I'm happy! :)

cowtownup
January 23, 2014, 09:27 PM
You can get one for less than $800.... Just be warned that once you get thru equipping it with PMAGS, a substantial amount of ammo and possibly an optic of some sort you're looking over a $1000 bucks..

oh, i'm a chad too... ha ha...

chaddy
January 23, 2014, 09:43 PM
I'm chad and I'm n Chatham county n.c. I want dust cover and forward assist too. I've looked at a couple windhams but don't here good things about them.

Auto426
January 23, 2014, 09:49 PM
It's a little above your stated budget, but you can find Colt 6920's for less than $1000 online and there's probably one or two sitting on the shelf at your local Walmart for just a bit more. The extra money will net you what's essentially the gold standard of M4 style rifles and will provide you with something to learn and build upon.

cowtownup
January 23, 2014, 10:39 PM
I bought a lower and upper from Palmetto State Armory for my first AR and I have about $650 in it after transfer fees and shipping.. I had to buy a $40 flip up iron sight and mags and ammo before I could shoot it. I wanted a basic rifle I could use to learn about the AR platform and I got that. I would love to build one from a parts kit.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=730571&page=2

Southside830
January 23, 2014, 11:37 PM
Windham's are good rifles.

Fishbed77
January 24, 2014, 12:34 AM
PSA is the answer to your question.

Get on their e-mail distribution list and check their website regularly.

Lloyd Smale
January 24, 2014, 07:37 AM
look at a lower priced stag. There warantee is the best in the business. For the life of the gun even if you burn out a barrel they will replace it.

sansone
January 24, 2014, 07:46 AM
it's easy to find a new, factory AR15 for under $800, keep looking :p

eldon519
January 24, 2014, 09:20 AM
I THINK S&W MP AR-15s are around that price range. They are supposed to be a good bang for your buck.

Averageman
January 24, 2014, 09:29 AM
Again, please save a bit more money and go buy the Colt 6920 at Wal Mart and be forever happy with it.
The 200-250 dollar difference is worth the wait for a Colt.

eldon519
January 24, 2014, 09:56 AM
I don't know that your average user NEEDS the extra QA/QC of a Colt, but if you decide you do, I would go 6720. I've got one, and it is a dream to handle. Very lively to point with around 1/3 lbs taken off the muzzle. They only make runs periodically, but they made one recently, and they are out there right now.

wally
January 24, 2014, 11:27 AM
Are the current Colt 6920 handguards still rocking side-to-side about 1/8" if you twist? Sure you can stop it with a dollop of epoxy putty but it doesn't exude "extra QA/QC of a Colt" to me!

I'll give another vote to S&W M&P AR for their superior customer service and support.

eldon519
January 24, 2014, 12:45 PM
By QA/QC, I meant tangible inspection steps like magnetic particle inspection, high pressure testing of components, and adhering to mil-specs. That's why I said most users wouldn't need it because most of us won't push our rifles until failure. If someone would rather have an Olympic Arms, RRA, Bushmaster, or DPMS that has zero handguard movement, so be it, but I wouldn't kid myself into thinking I had the higher-quality rifle. That isn't to say those rifles suck or anything. They still do most of the testing but they batch test rather than doing EVERY rifle and maybe slide on a few of the finer points that probably also don't matter that much.

That said, the S&Ws are high quality rifles as well. They do the majority of the same steps as Colt as far as I know. I think they skip mil-spec on the barrels, but many of them have a nitrided finish which some folks argue is better than chrome-lined.

AABEN
January 24, 2014, 02:20 PM
Arma Lite is one very good gun!! They have a few to chose from!

46R
January 24, 2014, 02:35 PM
All the Wyndhams I've seen around here seem to be pretty decent quality for entry-level ARs. A friend just bought the 16" carbine with flat top and removable carry handle for around $850 a few weeks ago and the upper-to-lower fit is nice and tight, it's got a chrome lined barrel, and the first time we took it out shooting and once sighted in, he was able to make 1/2 dollar sized groups at 100 yds with the stock iron sights, seated at a bench. We were both impressed with this rifle.

EDIT: Stay away from the carbon fiber (plastic) Wyndhams. You do not want plastic receivers. You want real aluminum.

chaddy
January 24, 2014, 03:37 PM
Seen a spikes for 638$. Is that good

gunsablazin
January 24, 2014, 03:41 PM
DPMS Sportical $617.00 at our local Wallyworld.

Walkalong
January 24, 2014, 06:38 PM
Someone linked to this earlier.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035MLS&name=Spikes+Tactical+5.56%2f.223+16%22+Midlength+Rifle&search=spikes

wadeestes
January 24, 2014, 08:40 PM
I just received an email today from grabagun.com
They are sellling a DPMS Panther Oracle AR-15 in .223/5.56, 16" barrel for $549.99. That would leave you money for optics.

strambo
January 25, 2014, 11:21 AM
The Spikes @ Aim surplus linked above is one of the highest quality options at that price.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 25, 2014, 08:06 PM
I have had great luck out of Stag, years ago. PSA and Spikes both make good AR's. I personally love how PSA can come with an FN barrel. You can every once in a while catch a S&W on sale or buy their "Sport" model. It is one tough SOB for about $750.

Rusty Luck
January 26, 2014, 07:26 PM
S&W M&P15s are $799.99 at academy here in Houston. (these the ones with the dust cover and F/A). I had a Windham and it shot everything I put through it, never had one failure what so ever. Or like stated go with PSA. I got a PSA premium MI upper put a Fail zero BCG and a BCM charging handle and put it on a magpul PSA lower for $820.

redneck2
January 26, 2014, 07:34 PM
I got one a few months ago from ARFCOM for $650. 16", quad rail, F/A, dust cover, multi-position stock

hentown
January 26, 2014, 07:37 PM
Don't be misled into thinking that a Windham is an "entry-level" AR. Windham's are good rifles. I suspect that they're prices will be going up over the next couple of years, after them become more established.

Check out the Windham @ JoeBob's @ $749. Chrome-lined, 4150 steel barrel, etc. Hard case and 30-rd. mag.

Frankl03
January 26, 2014, 07:42 PM
Get the Spikes Tactical at Aim its a no brainer. High quality, very reliable! I would buy it over any similar priced firearm!

boricua9mm
January 26, 2014, 07:56 PM
If you don't know much about ARs, then that Spikes midlength at AIM is where it's at.

If you know what you're looking at, then you might be able to get closer to your desired configuration by getting a PSA upper and sorting out a lower yourself. Be careful with PSA; you need to read the specs carefully and then when you receive it you'll want to go over the rifle with a fine-toothed comb before testing it out and trusting it completely. They seem to have lots of issues with Quality Control and Quality Assurance.

Hard to argue with a $1k Colt these days.

atomd
January 26, 2014, 08:02 PM
I would probably get the Spike's. You could save a little more and get a Colt....but at that point I'd be looking at jumping up to a Daniel Defense for an extra $100 or so. And from then on it's an extra hundred here for this and a hundred there for this or that.

Windham is essentially a Bushmaster. They are made in the previously shut down Bushmaster factory by most of the same people that made the Bushmaster rifles. Good story behind that.

chaddy
January 26, 2014, 10:08 PM
LGS has a new spikes for 638$. That don't sound right.

Fishbed77
January 27, 2014, 03:34 PM
Someone linked to this earlier.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...&search=spikes

Spikes makes a top-notch rifle (if you can get past the stupid-looking rollmarks). I would definitely rate them a peg or three higher than S&W. In my experience, the quality is equal to Colt, and the fit & finish is actually a little better.

SilverCat
January 28, 2014, 07:35 PM
*Cough*

Dont buy anything called a PTAC from them though, those arent quality at all. They have deals like his all the time, sometimes even better on better products.

Walkalong
January 29, 2014, 11:22 AM
Agreed, if you are patient, they are selling better products for the same or less. That is what I did on the last AR. The very same deal on the lower assembly, and nearly the same one on the upper.

redneck2
January 29, 2014, 07:24 PM
So, for $570 you get a complete rifle....

KansasPaul
January 29, 2014, 08:02 PM
Lot's of comments about S&W and Spike's in the previous posts.... not sure if this info is still accurate regarding S&W but Aero Precision manufactures the upper and lower receivers for Spikes, S&W, and a whole host of private branded (such as SAA) ARs. Many barrels are made by Wilson and many others are made by DPMS. If it were me buying a new AR, I would stay away from Bushmaster (I had a bad experience with one of them) and DPMS. Colt really is the "gold" standard (I personally know of a 6920 with 20K rounds down the tube and it still functions flawlessly and shoots where aimed). That said, most Colts do "rattle" when you shake them, upper to lower fit can be a bit loose but they are a rock when it comes to function. S&W ARs typically have a nice finish and are tight. Spike's are the same way. I've never held or shot a PSA but there is a huge support group for PSA rifles. I don't think you can go wrong with a S&W or Spike's, if you can save a little more money, buy a Colt. One added benefit is that Colt's will hold value better than many other ARs - something to consider if you ever get cash strapped. Check out CDNN for deals as well.

Blessings,

Paul

KansasPaul
January 29, 2014, 08:12 PM
I just checked CDNN - S&W MP15 flat top for $789. Armalite AR15 flat top $789. Rock River carbine with removable carry handle for $849. Colt 6920 with Rogers stock for $1099.

dvdcrr
January 30, 2014, 08:19 AM
First if you get a 6920 Colt please buy it somewhere else than W@lmart. That way my kids' kids wont have to work there someday. Secondly, no body ever mentions Del-ton but they are well UNDER 800 and mine have been great.

henschman
January 30, 2014, 01:26 PM
PSA for sure. Best value by far. They mostly sell the uppers separate from the lowers. If you don't feel like putting together your own lower, they sell complete lowers for a very good price too.

kimbershot
January 30, 2014, 01:28 PM
roll your own--build out your lower and look for upper--save the excise tax and you can build a shooter for 600ish (psa works great):what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar around 800$" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!