Cleaning

PDA

Jadecristal
March 31, 2004, 12:42 AM
I'd like to talk all about cleaning guns, and lubricant. Someone else has probably already posted on this before, but times and available cleaning supplies change, I'm sure. So I'm going to post again, and hope no one hangs me for it.

I just picked up my first gun (as some who recommended CZ's will remember), a G17, and find that the nice instruction book says to lubricate it before having any fun. Thus, at the suggestion of the person at my local Gander Mountain where I picked up the G17, I got a snake (brass on one end, metal brushes in the middle, slightly expanded other end for dragging through the action), which SAID it was for a few different calibers, 9mm and .357 being on the list. With directions to avoid using it on the wrong caliber. Also at his suggestion, I got a spray-can full of RemOil with Teflon that says it's for guns. From all I can tell, Glock doesn't make any kind of OEM lubricant.

Does anyone have other recommendations on first lube, or other cleaning/care supplies that might be nice, but not necessary (or, especially, those that ARE necessary) that I don't mention here? Primarily, as long as what I got will work and do its job, that's ok. I make certain assumptions, e.g. that it is difficult to *hurt* the gun without doing something extremely obvious and stupid, like applying nasty degreaser/solvent to all of it's parts.

The next part after this is the disassembly. Having not done that before, someone else will be helping me (maybe). It doesn't seem too complicated from the directions. Glocks are pretty, and I don't want to hurt it. (I'm sure that comment will generate a flame or two as well.) The manual is strangely silent on exactly what is and is not good for use, and just talks about "specialized gun cleaning supplies," or something like that.

As for the recommendation sure to be header my direction to "go take a class," it's on my list of things to do as soon as the time is available. In the meantime, though, I do appreciate all of the help and hand holding that everyone here is providing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GoRon
March 31, 2004, 01:07 AM
Not to sound like a commercial, but I am really happy with the FP-10 I just started using.

It seems like it cleans a little better than the Breakfree CLP I was using and it seems slicker to me also. (strictly subjective opinion I know)

And to top it all off I love the way it makes my guns smell

:D

Jadecristal
March 31, 2004, 01:51 AM
Please remember that I'm a newbie. I'm not exactly sure what FP-10 and CLP refer to. :)

sm
March 31, 2004, 02:26 AM
Kleenbore makes great products. I prefer non-coated steel rods.
If can clean from chamber, if must from muzzle use a muzzle guard. See here for a suggestions and cleaning tips.
http://www.kleen-bore.com/
Universal Cleaning Kit Covers Handguns, Rifles & Shotguns
$17.39
UK-213

Another useful cleaning kit is from Otis. I've had a Otis kit way before boresnakes ever came on the scene. For the price of two borsnakes I have multiple caliber / platform cleaning ability. Expecially good for revolvers and lever actions. The Tactical kit is the best buy. Reguar patches , old T shirts work well in lieu of Otis patches.
http://www.otisgun.com/

Buy long wooden Q-tips, pipe cleaners, get an extra toothbrush ( or another M16 utility brush from Kleenbore , one comes in the kit mentioned above).Dental picks, a Can of CRC Brakleen ( same thing as Gun- Scrubber but cheaper).
RIG [rust inhibiting grease] to protect externals from heat, humidity, cold and wet. Great for internals as well.

IMO/IME Formula 3 will do the same thing as all the fancy stuff on the market.

Still using the Kleenbore kit I was given,when the folks first hit the market. Same with Otis, except back then they were called Kit and Caboodle.

I would not get all worked up about products and such. Inspect, maintain, replace springs and such and clean mag bodies as need. Money best spent on training , ammo, holsters and good belts. This is what keeps one alive...not the gun oil, or solvent.

CLP [ Cleaner, Lubricant and Protect] refers to number of products with this ability - most notable is BreakFree CLP. Remoil, G96 are others [G96 is good]

The other is another product brandname.
Kellube, TW25B, Slideguide,Protech( which makes Wilson Combat's lubes to Wilsons' specs, prefer the Protech myself) are other example of names you will hear.

If a fella could actually get ahold of RIG they made , besides the great RIG and RIG +P , A top notch cleaning kit with a great solvent, oils and other great stuff one needs...I won a couple of these...really great solvent and oil, steel rods ....

I use the Kleenbore products , when I use the Otis kit the bottles have been refilled with Formula 3. I finally just ordered a half gallon, of Formula 3- had some guns to go through and clean up for a friend.

HTH

cratz2
March 31, 2004, 09:05 AM
When in doubt, type a product name in a web browser and see what comes up... :p www.fp10.com

FP-10 is a CLP (cleaning, lubricating, protecting) product from a company Firepower. Breakfree CLP is probably the staple all in one product and I used it for years before trying FP-10. In my experience, there is no comparison. Again, in my experience, if you're not shooting tons of lead, all I need is a bore snake, a bottle of FP10 and two cloths for basic cleaning of a handgun.

It's good stuff and I highly recommend it.

rljan
March 31, 2004, 09:42 AM
Go to www.glocktalk.com and do a search or go to www.glockfaq.com. Those sites should answer any questions you may have about Glocks. For my Glocks, I use MPRO-7 to clean & Breakfree CLP for lube. If you have some spare $, go to www.lonewolfdist.com & order The Complete Glock Reference Guide. It's about $30. and should be required reading for all Glock owners.

bountyhunter
March 31, 2004, 07:00 PM
The best and safest general cleaner is mineral spirits (go to Home Depot) applied with a small brush. Hold the slide or receiver so the stuff runs down and it carries the crap off, then wipe it down with a paper towel. Acetone cleaners are good but strip oil and attack paints and plastics. Dedicated bore cleaners like Hoppes #9 or Shooter's Choice are excellent for that purpose. Lube: I use both FP-10 and Militec liquid mixed into a high tech grease like Rig +p or Brian Enos Slide Glide at a ratio of about 50/50. Grease keeps the lube in place better so it keeps the protection where it needs to be.

Never lube the firing pin or firing pin channel (called a "striker" in a Glock). Never oil magazines. There is a dedicated dry lube for that purpose called Mag Slick.

Marshall
March 31, 2004, 07:44 PM
Hoppes #9 is good for everything. I even put a hint behind my ears before I go out on a Saturday night.

:neener:

TBeck
March 31, 2004, 07:54 PM
At the rear of the inside of the slide there is probably some material that looks like gold paste. Leave it there. It's lapping compound put there by the factory and it needs to stay.

Glocks are joys to clean. The rifling in the bore makes cleaning a snap. The boresnake should make an easy job even easier. The exact cleaning compounds used probably don't matter too much as long as they were intended for cleaning firearms. I use Breakfree CLP to clean the gun and a drop of FP-10 on each of the frame rails for lubrication. That's all you really need. Too much lube can be a problem if it gets into the striker channel and other places it shouldn't and attracts too much dirt.

Jadecristal
April 1, 2004, 12:18 AM
After looking at the pictures in the manual, I went ahead and stripped the Glock down to it's 5 pieces tonight. It wasn't NEAR as bad as I expected it to be, and was kinda cool - it's also scary that it's just a little plastic piece that holds the slide on. Since Glocks have such a good reputation, though, I'm probably paranoid. I did some of that stupid orange-gold stuff all over, though. It'll just take a little time to learn what I'm doing. Until I can get to a class, I'm taking it nice and slow.

Jadecristal

Tag
April 1, 2004, 01:44 AM
Wipe all the factory gunk off it and get some militec (www.militec1.com)

Tag
April 1, 2004, 01:47 AM
lapping compound put there by the factory and it needs to stay

it's just a copper based lubricant availiable at any auto parts store, it is not 'lapping compound'.

sm
April 1, 2004, 02:21 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74073 [see my post]

My thoughts anyway. I personally, don't worry about it. I used to ...between a gunny [ yeah a gunny Sgt] some other mentors and life experiences...I quit about 30 yrs ago...oh I had a brainfart and had a brief relaspe...I recovered tho'. :)

It was a gunny Sgt that did not clean a 1911 ( Gummit model) for a year , he competed with. Some other "gentlemen"as well that had been in unique places "that we were never there"...and such. 40k rds in a yr and the dirty gummit model still was running.

Best Advice: "spend money on training, ammo, holsters, a backup gun, another backup gun, a backup to the backup gun a good belt, inspect, maintain the springs and such..." So the monies I don't buy lubes and such go for the "advised list". :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!