Marlin XT 22

PDA

Shanghai McCoy
January 24, 2014, 05:48 PM
As mentioned in other threads I picked one of these up this week in 22 magnum. It is the basic version with the plastic stock and simple iron sights. The fit and finish is decent and the stock has good dimensions for the average adult shooter. I checked and you can line up and shoot with the iron sights pretty well. This was a factor in my choice of this version as the wooden stocked model has such a high comb that it tends to render the iron sights useless, at least for me.
I put an old Tasco Pronghorn scope on it last night ,so had to take the iron sights off anyway, and I was able to get out back after work this afternoon and try to get it on paper. No time to set up the bench but had it hitting the center at 50 yards from prone so will call it good for now. To much after work coffee and the long drive home didn't help the groups :o but with the CCI Maxi Mags it seemed to do pretty well. :)
The Pro-Fire trigger is not hard to get used to and the factory set trigger pull is good.
When time, weather and ammo supply allows I'll put it through some more range time but, so far, I am liking this rifle

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin XT 22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
d2wing
January 25, 2014, 05:38 PM
I am interested in a range report. How she do at 100 yards?

Shanghai McCoy
January 25, 2014, 11:17 PM
Weather permitting I'll get some bench work done on it at 75 and 100 yards and report the results.
This time of year out here in Kansas that can be "iffy" at best though...

32_d3gr33s
January 26, 2014, 01:10 AM
I picked one up for my kids for Christmas. I got them the tube fed .22l/s/lr version. They love it and it's a blast to shoot. I put a cheap Simmons scope on it and it's right on at 75 yards. I didn't have a chance to try farther than that due to too much snow...

Cee Zee
January 26, 2014, 02:57 AM
I got them the tube fed .22l/s/lr version

That's the same model I have 32_d3gr33s. I really like it. It's not quite as accurate as my Savages or my CZ but it does real well. I like the trigger and I like being able to load 25 shorts in it.

Shanghai McCoy
January 26, 2014, 12:55 PM
Just came in from a little range time out back. At 75 yards ,with a 10ish mph cross breeze, as long as I do my part this rifle was shooting 3/4" groups with the Hornady 30gr. V-Max rounds. They were POA too so will leave the settings as is for now. The CCI 40gr Maxi Mag solids were shooting about the same .

I had a couple function problems with a couple FTFs and one extractor/ejection problem. Will see if this is just a minor new rifle "glitch" due to stiff parts...:scrutiny: The wind is kicking up so will have to call it good for now.
Besides, wife will be home from church soon and she's bring lunch so need to get my stuff off the kitchen table... :rolleyes:

stringnut
January 26, 2014, 05:15 PM
Picked one for my dad this simmer in 22 mag. Shows a definite preference for cci ammo with groups being about half the size of Winchester. About an inch and a quarter with cci and easy two inches or more with Winchester. The wifes 94/22 mag also prefers cci ,but, not as much difference.

wgaynor
January 26, 2014, 05:19 PM
Just sold one for money to get an air rifle. I loved the Marlin though. clover leaf at 25 yards and 1/2 group at 75 yards with Federal Lightning ammo.

RetiredUSNChief
January 26, 2014, 10:20 PM
You know, I had never noticed that the synthetic stock wasn't a Monte Carlo style, like their wood stocks.

My first gun was a Marlin 783, tube fed, bolt action, .22 Magnum. The only thing that ever bugged me about it was the Monte Carlo stock, which made it a pain to sight using iron sights.

I mostly shot it with a scope, so it didn't really bother me too much. I made a stock extension from a piece of black walnut, which added about 4 inches to the butt of the stock. This got my cheek down behind the hump on the stock and made it much easier to sight using the iron sights.

I'm keeping an eye out for wood stock that I'll reshape to get rid of that hump. In the meantime, that synthetic XT-22 WMR is looking more attractive...keep us posted on this!

:):)

Shanghai McCoy
January 27, 2014, 06:51 AM
I have usually been a wood stock kind of guy but the dimensions on this synthetic stock work well. It also contributes to the overall lightness of the rifle which will make it handy for carrying in the field.
Funny thing, a friend was showing me her Model 60 Saturday and the first thing I noticed, (besides the pink laminate stock..:eek: ) was how much heavier it is.

RetiredUSNChief
January 27, 2014, 12:00 PM
I noticed how much lighter my wife's rifle is with a synthetic stock, too. Makes me want to take it squirrel hunting...

;)

dazed
January 27, 2014, 12:46 PM
I purchased the XT-22 with wood stock about a year ago, added a 3x9x32 Simmons rimfire scope. The first time out the gun impressed me so much for how inexpensive it was that I went out and bought the exact same thing in the XT-22M. Put the same scope on the magnum.

The 22lr will shoot groups at 100 yards of about 2". cci minimags
The 22 mag will shoot groups at 100 yards of about 1". cci maximags

Cee Zee
January 28, 2014, 07:01 PM
That makes for a nice looking rifle dazed. Too bad they don't sell the wood version with the tube fed XT's except for .22 WMR. Oh well. I actually like the synthetic really well on my XT. It's light but strong and durable. I have good looking rifles. They don't all have to look good though. And for a synthetic the XT actually looks pretty good. Plus it just has that feel that it will be around and still working in 150 years. Obviously I won't be able to prove that but it does feel well built.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin XT 22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!