Rebarreled: See Threads/Scar Bullets

PDA

bwsmith
January 24, 2014, 07:21 PM
I just picked up a Remington 700 that was rebarreled to 338-06. I loaded a few dummy rounds to check chambering and OAL and the bolt was really hard to close and the bullets came out scarred from tip to base.

Upon closer inspection, I can see quite a lot of threads in the receiver. I have never had a non-factory rifle before so I am not sure if it is normal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rebarreled: See Threads/Scar Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ironworkerwill
January 24, 2014, 08:03 PM
100% normal, the threads anyway. Are you camming over during sizing?

barnbwt
January 24, 2014, 08:10 PM
It looks like they screwed up the feed ramp somehow, which is supposed to guide the bullet nose over any exposed threads, causing the round to hit the floor or ceiling (or sides, perhaps?). Make sure the folks who re-barreled your barrel actually did so, and didn't just torque on a short-chambered barrel without finish reaming it to match your bolt face. It's also possible the chamber is really tight by design, something I've heard of match shooters doing (obviously shouldn't be excessive, though). Lastly, there is the potential of burrs left after reaming that could snag and scar the cartridge on the way in or as it seats.

What kind of chamfer/round is there leading into the chamber? A sharp corner there would surely drag on the bullet.

TCB

ironworkerwill
January 24, 2014, 08:11 PM
The marks on the bullet are likely due to feeding. Check your feed ramp and the edge of the chamber. The edge of the chamber is not supposed to be sharp.

bwsmith
January 24, 2014, 09:54 PM
You are correct. I made a new dummy round and marked the scarring and it is fromt he 6 oclock position. I chambered a round loose and no marks. Chambered from the magazine produces the marks. I tried a light deburring and was able to reduce it a bit but I am afraid to do too much myself since I still can't locate the actual imperfection.

ironworkerwill
January 25, 2014, 08:08 PM
Paint the whole dummy with a marker! It will tell you everything!

Kp321
January 25, 2014, 09:18 PM
Remington barrels have a recess for the bolt face to seat in that is .150" deep. The recess on your rifle does not look that deep therefore more receiver threads are visible. Not a big issue if the bolt head to breech dimension is correct and it headspaces correctly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rebarreled: See Threads/Scar Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!